E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Quoted from 2phast:
Yes, shame on me but they are cool mods

Sean elected to get the OE MB mirror (last one built) and I have since switched over to using this one only. It more closely resembles the OE W124 mirror (stalk mounts from the rear), plus it has a internal compass and less problems with the Homelink.

It is more complicated to build but the end result is worth it.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 06-10-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Does anyone know if I can use the Euro lenses on my American DOT headlight housings? It'd save me a bunch of money to just get the nicer leneses without having to get the whole housing assembly and new wiper motors and bulbs and the 4-6pin connectors and such.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
300D, 500E, E420
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Does anyone know if I can use the Euro lenses on my American DOT headlight housings? It'd save me a bunch of money to just get the nicer leneses without having to get the whole housing assembly and new wiper motors and bulbs and the 4-6pin connectors and such.
Not possible with 86-93 USA DOT housings. However the Euro lenses will fit 94-95 USA DOT housings.

The good news is, you can get aftermarket Euro lights (TYC or Depo) for about $200/pair, which is less than half what you'd likely pay for Bosch or Hella. The kwality isn't as good of course, but unless you're super picky, they're not bad for $200. Detailed photos of the Depo lights are on my website at this link. If you get any Euro lights, make sure you install Lamin-X protective film... the glass lenses have a nasty habit of getting cracked, holed, or broken.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Ahh okay. I ask because I'm torn between these aftermarket ones with NO fluting what-so-ever on the glass lense (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110400019704) and these Eagle Eyes replicas for dirt cheap (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT).

The second link, the seller will give me 10% off the order and combine ship so I was looking to get those replicas + (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT) and (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT).

Another question: Are the housings of poor quality or is the glass of poor quality on the replicas? Am I better off getting either the real Euro housings and replacing the lenses with the clear replica lens (for a future E55 bi-xenon retro) or would the 94/95 DOT housings be a similar quality housing to put the new lense on?

What exactly is wrong with the TYC/DEPO lights compared to the OEM Bosch/Hella lights? Do they not fit right, do they fall out? I don't want another clear-corner fiasco (crappy clips, the damned things fell out on the road).
Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
I'm not sure the lenses will be interchangeable from brand to brand like that.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:11 PM

300D, 500E, E420
Another question: Are the housings of poor quality or is the glass of poor quality on the replicas? Am I better off getting either the real Euro housings and replacing the lenses with the clear replica lens (for a future E55 bi-xenon retro) or would the 94/95 DOT housings be a similar quality housing to put the new lense on?
See the photos at the link in my previous post. It's just the general quality of the Depo light housing is not quite as good. The lenses appear to be fairly decent, at least not visibly worse than OE (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything). The 94-95 DOT housings are Bosch, and are good quality. Bosch, Hella, TYC, and Depo Euro lenses are all interchangeable. No idea about "Eagle Eye" though. You can put 86-93 Bosch or Hella Euro lenses on a 94-95 USA DOT housing, btw.

What exactly is wrong with the TYC/DEPO lights compared to the OEM Bosch/Hella lights? Do they not fit right, do they fall out? I don't want another clear-corner fiasco (crappy clips, the damned things fell out on the road).
In addition to what I wrote above, no they won't fall out like the turn signals... they fit ok, about as good as the real Euro lights.

Of course, there is always this test report of TYC & Depo that indicates they may not perform as well as the genuine article. If you do any HID conversion, you'll need to retrofit an entire projector into a W124 lamp assembly, and get a clear glass lens - tons of work, questionable benefit. Just don't ever stick an HID burner into a Euro light assembly with halogen reflector & lens. Click here to read the technical reasons why this is a bad idea.

Ideally, the best factory lighting option is to get 500E Euro lights, which have auxiliary high beams instead of fogs, and also have the back side of the lens housing chromed. Add relays, large wire, a 150A alternator, and overwatt bulbs and you end up with almost the same lumens as HID but without all the hassle. Of course the down side is you lose your fogs, and the total cost is about $1k, but the light output is staggering. I have this exact setup on two of my cars. I would put it on the others if I could afford to.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Would this set be the DEPO euros like you have purchased then? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT)
What exactly makes the back gasket not fit well? Is there an issue with the gasket itself that can be fixed or is the rear cover just mis-shapen? Also, have you bent the back cover clips to ensure proper/tight fitment?

I do plan on (eventually) doing a proper HID retro using parts listed here: (e55 bi-xenon projectors, Hella Gen 3-R ballast, ZKW replica lenses, Optic shrouds, Phillips 81522+ D2s bulb)
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/index.php

Do you think those Depos will be a good purchase, or should I spend the (insane) 700$ for the 94/95 OEM lights? Ugh... Hate this confusing mess of crap. I'm tempted by the completely clear lights as they come with the perfect lenses for an eventual HID retro and should offer some nice output versus my cracked, dirty, pitted crap OEM DOT lights :|
Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM

300D, 500E, E420
Would this set be the DEPO euros like you have purchased then? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT)
Yep, except the set I got was cheaper because it didn't include the turn signals or bulbs.

What exactly makes the back gasket not fit well? Is there an issue with the gasket itself that can be fixed or is the rear cover just mis-shapen? Also, have you bent the back cover clips to ensure proper/tight fitment?
It appears to be the plastic items are slightly mis-shapen, but I'm not certain. I didn't bend the clips since they were holding the cover in place, and the clips weren't loose.

Do you think those Depos will be a good purchase, or should I spend the (insane) 700$ for the 94/95 OEM lights? Ugh... Hate this confusing mess of crap. I'm tempted by the completely clear lights as they come with the perfect lenses for an eventual HID retro and should offer some nice output versus my cracked, dirty, pitted crap OEM DOT lights :|
Well - if you have a 86-93 hood, and don't plan on doing the facelift, I would never spend the ~$700 for 94/95 OEM lights. You could get Bosch or Hella Euros for less! As a short-term improvement, I'd go for the Depos at <$200 with decent bulbs, like the Osram Hyper 70/65.

I still don't recommend any HID conversion, it's an awful lot of work for questionable results in the end. Even Rik Johnson (2phast) recently removed his custom HID lights, sold them, and installed plain old Depo Euros on his W124. But, I'll not beat that horse to death...

Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Mm, more to mull over. I think I'll get the DEPO set for 200$ or so with the corners and then pop in some MTEC bulbs. Do the Euro housings have the amber bulb shroud like the DOT ones do for the fog, or do I need to actually find a proper amber fog bulb now?

I know the HID conversion is a ***** but it is calling me. Not now, I'm not making nearly enough :P

I don't really plan on using the 94-95 hood ever; I like the pre-facelift + eyebrow spoiler look better.

Am I correct in assuming that tail-lights are tail-lights? I mean, if I were to buy the Eagle Eye replica 94-95 style tails (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT) and they turned out to not fit well, I could probably swap over the outside lens to the stock tail housing, correct?
Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM

300D, 500E, E420
Mm, more to mull over. I think I'll get the DEPO set for 200$ or so with the corners and then pop in some MTEC bulbs. Do the Euro housings have the amber bulb shroud like the DOT ones do for the fog, or do I need to actually find a proper amber fog bulb now?
Fog light bulb color is a personal taste thing. I use standard clear/white bulbs, but you can use amber if you want. The reflector & lens create the proper fog beam pattern (wide / flat / low), the color does not make much difference, although some people prefer yellow (claiming there is reduced reflection, although that is debateable).

I don't really plan on using the 94-95 hood ever; I like the pre-facelift + eyebrow spoiler look better.
Yeah, and the 94-95 update is expensive, too (hood, grille, paint, headlights = $$$$).

Am I correct in assuming that tail-lights are tail-lights? I mean, if I were to buy the Eagle Eye replica 94-95 style tails (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT) and they turned out to not fit well, I could probably swap over the outside lens to the stock tail housing, correct?
I have never bought aftermarket tail light lenses. The lens itself is what has a gasket which seals to the body, so if it's not perfect, there could be water leaks. The ones shown on eBay don't appear much different than the 94-95 stock tails, I would just get used 94-95 tails instead. I have those on both of my diesels.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by rayhennig
Marks are at:

60, 100, 160 & 220 kph.

RayH
Regarding the 722.5 5 speed Auto box.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by AMGDave
Fog light bulb color is a personal taste thing. I use standard clear/white bulbs, but you can use amber if you want. The reflector & lens create the proper fog beam pattern (wide / flat / low), the color does not make much difference, although some people prefer yellow (claiming there is reduced reflection, although that is debateable).
I'm fond of the yellow fogs myself. I do find the visibility to be better but this may be placebo.

I have never bought aftermarket tail light lenses. The lens itself is what has a gasket which seals to the body, so if it's not perfect, there could be water leaks. The ones shown on eBay don't appear much different than the 94-95 stock tails, I would just get used 94-95 tails instead. I have those on both of my diesels.
I'd like to buy the lenses that are the white upper with red lower to match my tail light filler panel, but smoked may be acceptable as well. We shall see.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM

300D, 500E, E420
Stock 94-95 tails are white upper, red lower... not smoked. The white upper isn't totally clear though, some people might consider it a very light "smoke", but I don't.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Actually, that looks to be a fair match to my filler panel. I guess I have to get after a set of these lenses then. Thanks again Dave.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Well, got a set of the 94-95 tails off a salvage 300ce at a body shop my friend goes to for the, get ready now, WHOPPING sum of:
12$ for both (plus drop off my stockies after I swap them out).

Not a bad deal right? I'm excited.

AAAND, I just got my DEPO euro lenses+clear corners and my MTEC H3 (3300k) and H4 (4350k) bulbs. Now, I just need to get the 6-pin adapters from the dealership tomorrow morning and I'll be in business. The salvage 300ce only had the one clip so I didn't bother.

Pics will come soon. I am like, crazy excited.

Clips are good, gaskets have some gaps. grr.. oh well, nothing some silicon can't fix. SHOULD be proper to begin with. Maybe I'll write them a nasty email.

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 06-26-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Well, got a set of the 94-95 tails off a salvage 300ce at a body shop my friend goes to for the, get ready now, WHOPPING sum of:
12$ for both (plus drop off my stockies after I swap them out).

Not a bad deal right? I'm excited.

AAAND, I just got my DEPO euro lenses+clear corners and my MTEC H3 (3300k) and H4 (4350k) bulbs. Now, I just need to get the 6-pin adapters from the dealership tomorrow morning and I'll be in business. The salvage 300ce only had the one clip so I didn't bother.

Pics will come soon. I am like, crazy excited.

Clips are good, gaskets have some gaps. grr.. oh well, nothing some silicon can't fix. SHOULD be proper to begin with. Maybe I'll write them a nasty email.
You will like your DEPO's. I've been running them for about a year now with silverstars and can provide you nothing but a raving review.

AMGDave,
What bulbs on the current market would you consider to be the brightest within the correct wattage range??...melted housings = no fun.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Do your rear covers not fit like, 100% proper? Does vapor get in there? Did you seal them with silicon? I'm thinking of sealing them once I get the bulbs installed. Not likely to need to change them for a while.
Attached Thumbnails Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?-photo0001.jpg  

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 06-26-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Do your rear covers not fit like, 100% proper? Does vapor get in there? Did you seal them with silicon? I'm thinking of sealing them once I get the bulbs installed. Not likely to need to change them for a while.
Put those in!! Then Post Pics!!

Those clear corners look pretty nice, I'm still partial to euro amber corners though.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
The ideal ones for me are the US-spec ones for 94/95. You know, the ones with the white lens and the amber reflector on the side. I think that is the best, but these came with the headlights soooo. Also, the clips on these DON'T suck. I doubt they will be falling out like my other set of clear corners :\

I need my MTEC H4s and the 6-pin connectors before the headlights can go in. I'm going to the dealership soon to take care of the connectors, post office better take care of the H4s by day's end
(edit: USPS says arrival at unit, I will check on my way out to the dealership)
(edit edit: Parts closed on Saturday, no luck till Monday. Damnit!)

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 06-27-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:05 PM

300D, 500E, E420
The Depo rear covers don't fit real well, but they seal just enough to keep dust & water out. As long as the gasket is making contact all the way around, they're fine. The Bosch & Hella don't have perfect fit either, but they're better than the Depos. You shouldn't need to use silicone though.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:09 PM

300D, 500E, E420
Originally Posted by appatula
AMGDave,
What bulbs on the current market would you consider to be the brightest within the correct wattage range??...melted housings = no fun.
For stock wiring... AFAIK, the brightest H4 bulbs on the market (i.e., highest lumens) are Osram Hyper 70/65. These are a drop-in, zero mods. I have them in my Depos on the '93 300D.

Anything beyond that needs relays, larger wires, and preferably an alternator uprgade (this is pretty cheap & easy anyway). In my 500E Hella Euros with relays & larger wires, I have Osram Hyper 85/80, which put out *more* lumens on low beam than even higher-wattage Rally lights. The mega-watt bulbs do better on high beam, but I'm more interested in low-beam performance. The Hypers are availale from Peter Burgeson (click here). Note that the Hypers have a shorter life span than stock, same as any over-wattage Rally bulbs... so you won't want to use them as DRL's.

Here's the lumens ratings:

Bulb wattage, high/low:
==================================
Stock 60/55 = 1650/1000 lumens
Good +50 bulbs = 1800/1100
Hyper 70/65 = 2000/1350
Hyper 85/80 = 2400/1750 (more on low beam than stock on HIGH beam!)
Rally 100/90 = 2600/1500 (Philips or Narva)
Rally 130/100 = 3200/1600 (Philips or Narva)

Old 06-28-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Damn, wonder where the MTECs I just bought fit into that list?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE / 300E / 300CE
For stock wiring... AFAIK, the brightest H4 bulbs on the market (i.e., highest lumens) are Osram Hyper 70/65. These are a drop-in, zero mods. I have them in my Depos on the '93 300D.

Anything beyond that needs relays, larger wires, and preferably an alternator uprgade (this is pretty cheap & easy anyway). In my 500E Hella Euros with relays & larger wires, I have Osram Hyper 85/80, which put out *more* lumens on low beam than even higher-wattage Rally lights. The mega-watt bulbs do better on high beam, but I'm more interested in low-beam performance. The Hypers are availale from Peter Burgeson (click here). Note that the Hypers have a shorter life span than stock, same as any over-wattage Rally bulbs... so you won't want to use them as DRL's.

Bulb wattage, high/low:
Hyper 70/65 = 2000/1350
The PO installed relays on my Hella Euros but I find stock 60/55W bulbs in them. The higher watt bulbs must have burned out and not replaced...
Attached Thumbnails Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?-dscf4891.jpg   Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?-dscf4896.jpg   Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?-dscf4897.jpg  

Last edited by pifcat2; 06-29-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM

300D, 500E, E420
Originally Posted by pifcat2
The PO installed relays on my Hella Euros but I find stock 60/55W bulbs in them. The higher watt bulbs must have burned out and not replaced...
I dunno... I don't see a separate +12V feed wire in that photo. I'm not sure what the purpose of that relay is.

Photos of my one relay installation are at this link, the other install is at this link (scroll down to the bottom). I added a feed directly from the battery with one 8-gauge cable to each side (left & right), which splits into one 10-gauge to each relay, and then 12-gauge wires to the six-pole headlight connector.

That's a little overkill though, it would be fine to run one 10-gauge to each side, splitting to 12-gauge to each pair of relays, and then 14-gauge to the headlight connector. Use separate fuses for left & right sides so you won't lose all lights if a fuse blows - you'd just lose one side or the other.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix

Bulb wattage, high/low:
Hyper 70/65 = 2000/1350
Dave,
That's simply awesome! I will be picking up some Osram Hyper 70/65 for my Depos soon . Your Osram Hyper 85/80 setup sounds unbelievable, I would assume some form of a heatsink would be a good safety measure if one was planning on using them in a Depo housing? Kudos!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Possible Modifications to 1991 300ce?