E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

cold start/speaker in door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
cold start/speaker in door

Hey. Two things in this thread....

1: Whenever the car has been out for a while ( overnight or like 5+ hours ) it takes a while of cranking for the car to start. Temperature has no issue. It is like that in the 100 degree and the cold for me 65 degree weather. What could be the cause? If I shut it off and then turn it back on ( both times letting fuel run in, I hear the hiss ) It starts up with no problem.

2: I want to add a speaker into the door panel. I saw somebody here has previously done it. I do not have speakers in the door already and was wondering how difficult it would be. Is this a DIY or should I just take it to a shop?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
My car takes a while to crank as well, I looked in the owners manual and it says that this is a normal behaviour. Oh well As for the door panel speakers, Ive seen it too but I cant reccomend one way or another. Personally, I dont want to take a knife and stuff to my car so Id have a shop do it for me.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
KE Jetronic (CIS-E) has a cold start valve thingy that helps it start when cold. It should be on the block somewhere with a fuel line going in and one going out. I don't have the same fuel management on my '93, but I have had cars with CIS-E before (VW), so I have a bad-*** Bosch Fuel Management book at home. I'll dust it off and see what it says.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
My car takes a while to crank as well, I looked in the owners manual and it says that this is a normal behaviour. Oh well As for the door panel speakers, Ive seen it too but I cant reccomend one way or another. Personally, I dont want to take a knife and stuff to my car so Id have a shop do it for me.

The #1 culprit for this is usualy your OVP fuse.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
whats that, where is it, what does it do, and how much ti cost?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
whats that, where is it, what does it do, and how much ti cost?

follow this link, read my #29th post.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/157817-lets-talk-about-w124-idling.html
Old 08-16-2006, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
how much ti cost?

like $1,000 dollars...just kidding!

two bux kid, buy a box of fuses at autozone or something LOL
Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Oooo.. I read that post already... Is it the weird cermic benzo fuses or the blade fuses?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Oooo.. I read that post already... Is it the weird cermic benzo fuses or the blade fuses?
this type of fuse, it will only take you like 2 minutes to do...the hardest part is removing the battery.

The RED one, 10.

cold start/speaker in door-fuse.jpg
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
GREAT! I can't wait to get home to try this out. I hope autozone is open late. Now onto the speakers!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by LnkPrkSoldier
GREAT! I can't wait to get home to try this out. I hope autozone is open late. Now onto the speakers!

Good luck my friend, and please keep us updated.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
You need updated door panels or fabricate a speaker pod into the side of the original ones to add speakers in there. Also the temp sensor at the back of the block may need to be changed since this tells the computer weather the engine is hot or cold and regualtes the cold start valve.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
You need updated door panels or fabricate a speaker pod into the side of the original ones to add speakers in there. Also the temp sensor at the back of the block may need to be changed since this tells the computer weather the engine is hot or cold and regualtes the cold start valve.

Is that temp sensor install an easy DIY? Do I pick up the part from the dealership? Lastly, aren't there another set of fuses for this car? I replaced all of the fuses from the driver side main fuse box. Wasn't there one deeper into the car behind the dash? What do those fuses control?

Secondly, I was planning on going to a custom place and having them install a pod speaker pod into the door and was hoping to put in 6.5" speakers in there. Do you think those are too big/deep? Paycheck coming today
Old 08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Well kind of if the mechanic has the right deep socket to remove it. I had to take off the valve cover to change it. You can get that part online cheaper or kragen too. About the speaker pods wait a bit, I'm going to try to fit that size speaker on the side of my door panels. I have access to a wood working shop so i can cut wood to make molds of whatever i want.

I can try them on mine first and then do yours. Custom stereo shops will charge you ALOT!! save your money for now and don't rush on spending money.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
Well kind of if the mechanic has the right deep socket to remove it. I had to take off the valve cover to change it. You can get that part online cheaper or kragen too. About the speaker pods wait a bit, I'm going to try to fit that size speaker on the side of my door panels. I have access to a wood working shop so i can cut wood to make molds of whatever i want.

I can try them on mine first and then do yours. Custom stereo shops will charge you ALOT!! save your money for now and don't rush on spending money.

Great, I can't wait. And I am going to buy a dremel and buy new 5 1/4\' speakers for the front and make it fit flush. As well as later on putting some dynomat or equivalent. This will be my late summer project.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I rather go with a smaller speaker or cut the speaker to make it flush because there is not alot of space to work in and if you mess up your dash it'll be more work to replace it. You also need to replace the clip that holds the speaker grill that's why it reattles on one side. What i'm going to do is to use a smaller speaker in the front and use a crossover to make a 3 way system. The speakers on the doors will provide most of the bass and mid notes and the ones on the dash will handle the highs with a tweater on the a pillar.
The dash speakers can't really handle bass or anything else...
Old 08-17-2006, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
I know I'm a noob but damn. For some reason, I couldn't get that crap open. Just pull up from the back and it just won't budge! My parents took the camera on their vacation so yeah... Anyways, when I was moving the car I noticed my exhaust smells a lot like gasoline. Like I just got out while I left the car running and I smelled it. Am I running too rich? How do i adjust that?

Second , remember chris when you saw that wire in my trunk and thought it was a sub? It sure looks like it, because I saw an additional wire running from the battery through the firewall.... This will be an easy install. Abraham, did you remember seeing anything like that?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
I know I'm a noob but damn. For some reason, I couldn't get that crap open. Just pull up from the back and it just won't budge! My parents took the camera on their vacation so yeah... Anyways, when I was moving the car I noticed my exhaust smells a lot like gasoline. Like I just got out while I left the car running and I smelled it. Am I running too rich? How do i adjust that?

Second , remember chris when you saw that wire in my trunk and thought it was a sub? It sure looks like it, because I saw an additional wire running from the battery through the firewall.... This will be an easy install. Abraham, did you remember seeing anything like that?
You just have to try OVP first, if that doesn work try temp sensor. TRUST me, OVP is so simply and innexpensive but can cost your car a MILLION PROBLEMS.

cold start/speaker in door-battery.jpg

PS: PAINT SUX HEDGEHOG *****
Old 08-17-2006, 09:55 AM

Mercedes Benz 300E, 1991
Hi, My doors have the holes in tthem for the speakers, but I never noticed any sound comming out of them. So I had it opened last week. There were speakers in them, but not connected! Those were factory speakers.
My car is in for a complete paint job (I am getting it changed from 199 to full black, even the skirt!). I will rewire the speakers to my Pioneer when the mechanic is done with it. That will briong the total speaker count in my carrito to 15.:

Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Falconeer
Hi, My doors have the holes in tthem for the speakers, but I never noticed any sound comming out of them. So I had it opened last week. There were speakers in them, but not connected! Those were factory speakers.
My car is in for a complete paint job (I am getting it changed from 199 to full black, even the skirt!). I will rewire the speakers to my Pioneer when the mechanic is done with it. That will briong the total speaker count in my carrito to 15.:

ooooh I like the sound of your cars.

do you have pix?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
15! What arrangement? I only have 4-two way speakers in my 300ce :P
Old 08-17-2006, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by Falconeer

let me guess. two 2 way speakers up front... two 3 way speakers in the back... you will put in two 3 way speakers in the door and a sub? or do you have just the simple 6 speakers and 9 subwoofers....
Old 08-17-2006, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
15 speakers? how many amps? and where are they located?...I can see how you can get 8 or 10 speakers in there but 15?...let say 2 subs 2 doors 2 on the dash 2 in the rear 4 tweaters maybe? unless you got custom molded speakers too...
Old 08-17-2006, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
My dream goal would be 6.5"s in front doors, 4"s in front dash, tweeters in A pillars and B pillars pointed toward back, 4" in rear doors, 8"s in rear deck and two 12"s in the trunk... oh and dynomat EVERYWHERE. As well as amps to power everything accordingly.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:02 AM

Mercedes Benz 300E, 1991
Okay guys...

Sorry I did not come back to this post for a while!

Here is the configuration... 2 Subs, 2 in the dash, 2 Tweets in the front, 2 in the doors, 2 in the rear, 2 MORE in the rear (6x9).

WAIT.. thats just 14 (crap)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cold start/speaker in door