E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Have a Question regarding my 87 300E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 2013 Dodge Dart Turbo 6spd
Have a Question regarding my 87 300E

hey guys, i have a question that may be kindof a dumb or silly question for you guys but here goes.

I have had my w124 for a few months now, and love the car, but i seem to have this problem with my transmission. It occurs on acceleration, from a stop, if i just hold the pedal for normal acceleration, at around 2500-3000 RPM when the transmission goes to shift from 2nd to 3rd, once it initiates the shift, the engine will over rev, almost as if it were a manual and you were reving in neutral. Then the rpm's will drop and it will be in the new gear, other then that, the shift from 3rd to 4th is smooth, and when decelerating (just letting off the gas) the car has no issues. I have recently noticed that there is a fairly noticeable whine in the lower gears (2nd and some of 3rd) when you are driving along... My fear is that the transmission is gone and may have to be replaced. Only other issue has been, if for example i need to give it some more gas, say passing someone on the street or accelerating from a slow speed but not from a stop, I have noticed that the car has a large "clunk" type of reaction to the downshift and is very uncomfortable and annyoing. Any and all help as to what may be the cause and/or fix to this problem is much appreciated. I'm just glad i found this site
Old 09-12-2006, 03:11 AM

Range Rover Classic
Have you ever changed the tranny fluid? If not I'd schedule it as soon as possible.

Last edited by Eliot; 09-12-2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 AM

i have made the appointment as that was one of the first things that came to mind. How easy is it to do myself? i have never changed any fluids before but would not be opposed to doing it myself rather then go to my mechanic. Also is there some place other then my mechanic that could do it? would the benz dealership be more expensive or around the same, on avarage i mean.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:41 AM

Range Rover Classic
Its not something I've done before so I can't testify to the difficulty. It does require emptying both the transmission and the torque converter. Once completed refill and I believe there's filter to replace.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:11 AM

a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve
Seems like you're having a similar problem with mgw_300 how many miles on the clock?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by battlecat714
Seems like you're having a similar problem with mgw_300 how many miles on the clock?
The "thud" that I'm getting happens while braking, usually right before the car comes to a stop.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:03 PM

yea i saw that you were having what seemed to be a similar issue, but upon reading your post it sounds like maybe it's a different issue. Hopefully changing the tranny and diff fluid will solve the problem, at least i hope so. Thanks to all of you for your input and i will post back after i've done the fluids hopefully with good news.

Currently have 220,000 KM on the clock (roughly 136,700 miles i think) since i'm in canada

Last edited by Hound; 09-12-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:09 AM

Mercedes Benz 300E, 1991
Hi,

Yes it is very easy to change the Tx oil. There is a gasket and Filter kit available from Mercedes Benz. But you need to go under thhe car. There is an oil pan there somewhere under the shifter. I believe it has 8 screws. The gasket is made of rubber. Easy to do, takes about an hour.

Regards,

Falconeer.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE W124
Originally Posted by Hound
hey guys, i have a question that may be kindof a dumb or silly question for you guys but here goes.

I have had my w124 for a few months now, and love the car, but i seem to have this problem with my transmission. It occurs on acceleration, from a stop, if i just hold the pedal for normal acceleration, at around 2500-3000 RPM when the transmission goes to shift from 2nd to 3rd, once it initiates the shift, the engine will over rev, almost as if it were a manual and you were reving in neutral. Then the rpm's will drop and it will be in the new gear, other then that, the shift from 3rd to 4th is smooth, and when decelerating (just letting off the gas) the car has no issues. I have recently noticed that there is a fairly noticeable whine in the lower gears (2nd and some of 3rd) when you are driving along... My fear is that the transmission is gone and may have to be replaced. Only other issue has been, if for example i need to give it some more gas, say passing someone on the street or accelerating from a slow speed but not from a stop, I have noticed that the car has a large "clunk" type of reaction to the downshift and is very uncomfortable and annyoing. Any and all help as to what may be the cause and/or fix to this problem is much appreciated. I'm just glad i found this site
I think what u r experiencing is known as transmission flaring... can try adjusting the bowden cable first to see if it helps. Its a DIY job.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Avalanche
I think what u r experiencing is known as transmission flaring... can try adjusting the bowden cable first to see if it helps. Its a DIY job.
Do you have a link that you could post, or instructions on how i could do this?

@ Falconeer: is this something that you would recommend someone doing even if they are not that mechanicly inclined, such as myself. I'm fairly handy and like to learn new things but i'd hate to mess up..

thanks guys for the awesome responses!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 PM

a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve

@ Falconeer: is this something that you would recommend someone doing even if they are not that mechanicly inclined, such as myself. I'm fairly handy and like to learn new things but i'd hate to mess up..

that's the only way you learn...by effing up.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM

lol it's true, i tried to replace my hood star with a new one since some kids tried to steal mine, but i just managed to break it lol, got a friend who works as a MB tech to show me how to install it and got it in in 2 minutes lol. Was a good learning experiance.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE W124

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...g+bowden+cable

or do a search there on "bowden cable". lots of threads...