E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Found one of my favorite cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found one of my favorite cars

So after years of casual browsing of car ads and the odd trip or two to see a "mint" car, I finally found a W124 I can really enjoy!

This started out last weekend as a little trip to see a "mint" car while my family got ready for church. Most of these "mint" cars, to tell you the truth, are anything but.

But this girl is really close to mint. Mechanically perfect (had a PPI done), recent services all up to date, paint is really up to my admittedly high standards, and the interior is almost perfect (Just some surface cracks on the wood in the console and some minor cracks on the steering wheel.) The best part of the car for me is relatively low mileage (75,000) and the car is absolutely bone stock including the radio. Everything in the car is operational and smooth. Doors, trunk, close great. Only accident damage seems to have been to the front bumper and grille. Both repaired when the car was two years old. Tranny is smooth, much smoother than our 190.\

The leather is simply unbelievable. Very carefully conditioned through it's life. I'm embarassed to say it's in better shape than our Touareg seats.

My wife didn't think I'd ever find a used car I'd be satisfied with, but she was wrong! I'm so happy with this car. Finally agreed on the deal today and picked it up before church this morning. Been driving it around all day. It drives every bit as well as the 124s I got to drive occassionally when they were the current model. I especially love the quality of the interior pieces. In some ways, still superior in my opinion to even the W221 S-class.

I'll take pictures and post them this week. This is going to be a fun little toy while I wait for the S550. And even after I get that car, I can definitely see enjoying the 124 as more of my daily driver. (Well, we'll see about that after I get a few commutes in with the massaging seats in the 221 )

So, I'd like to introduce myself to this section of the forum. Please pardon my newbie questions over the next few months! The 124 has always been a car I've really admired and I'm so proud to finally own a good one.

EDIT: ok, this is really more of a "favorite" car than a "dream" car. "Dream" car is better left to cars like the GT3 that I lusted for. The 124 is just one of the cars over the years that I always thought was just very well done from a looks, quality, overall performance perspective.

Last edited by eddietr; 02-11-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:29 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Congrats on the find.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures soon.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 AM

1994 White an Grey E320 "Shado"
Welcome to this corner of benztopia...
You will find many who will speak on the wonders of the w124...
Old 02-12-2007, 05:57 AM

MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
yeah....welcome to our side of the playground...cant wait for the pics of this car you speak so highly of....

-OG
Old 02-12-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E500 AMG PKG/2010 Camaro SS/RS - 2007 F-150 - 2007 Suburban
Pics????
Old 02-12-2007, 07:04 PM

Sorry guys, didn't have time today and the weather will be a mess here for the next couple of days. But I'll wash and take pics on Sat.

Looking through the pics in the gallery, I see a lot of you have beautiful 124s. Most of the ones you see for sale around here are junk, unfortunately. And I haven't wanted one badly enough to look outside the DC metro area.

Played with more buttons today on the commute to/from work. The memory function works on the seat and steering wheel (forgot to check that before I bought it), so that worked out.

So one thing I do want to look into is the surface cracks on the wood. It's the plastic cover/clearcoat that is cracked. Three places all in the one piece that surrounds the gear selector and window controls. How difficult would that be to fix/replace? Would I risk it not matching the rest of the wood trim if I do that?

I can't wait to detail this thing. I'll have to wait til it's a bit warmer or my neighbors will really think I'm nuts.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:09 PM

BTW, here is a link to the dealer ad for this car, until I have time clean:

http://ww.getauto.com/autolinks_card...ealer_id-AAG3w
Old 02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
wow, super clean, super low mileage. Great find!