E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

E300D: After Fuel Filter change, won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300D: After Fuel Filter change, won't start

OM606 Engine. Did my first pre + Fuel Filter change. Filled it up about half-full. Turned it over many times, wouldn't start, but was catching like it was going to. Then started pumping gas pedal. It stopped catching, now just turns over and sounds dead. Up to 60 seconds turning over at a time.

Could I have flooded it? Fouled the glow plugs, or???? All this non-stop start attempts can't be good for the starter, either.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Did you pre-fill the filter before installation? I will take FOREVER if you don't. If you didn't you could just take it off and pre-fill all the way and reinstall.

I have seen the 606 with hardened o-rings on the fuel lines also. It will suck air past the o-ring and prevent fuel from being drawn into the pump. You could see air bubbles in the lines. The pre-filter was a good place for this to happen.

Last edited by bicylindrico; 05-20-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1983 240D, 1989 300E
Don't you have to pump the air out of fuel lines with diesels. I know in my 240D you have to.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by LoveLEE143
Don't you have to pump the air out of fuel lines with diesels. I know in my 240D you have to.
The air should just be in the line from the pre-filter through the main filter and to the inj. pump. I remember them being a total pain once air gets in there. I don't remember the 606 having a primer pump like the older diesels. You only have the pull created from the inj. pumps suction. At least the lines are clear which helps to see the trapped air.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 AM

I went ahead and filled the filter all the way to the top. Started turning it over and after 60 seconds, would not start. It DID pop a few times. Should I be pumping the pedal, or leave it alone?

I've got the trickle charger on it, and will try again in a couple of hours.

By the way, my fuel lines are black, so I can't see anything.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by E300D95Jeff
I went ahead and filled the filter all the way to the top. Started turning it over and after 60 seconds, would not start. It DID pop a few times. Should I be pumping the pedal, or leave it alone?

I've got the trickle charger on it, and will try again in a couple of hours.

By the way, my fuel lines are black, so I can't see anything.
Sounds like you're almost there. I'm not an "expert" but I'm fairly certain pumping the pedal before the engine is running does nothing. The regulator inside the injection pump will not increase the amount of fuel or pressure until the RPM increases. If you're using less than about a 20 amp charger it will be more like late tonight before your battery is charged sufficiently. Keep us updated.

Last edited by shdoug; 05-20-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On the OM60X series engines, there is no manual primer for the fuel system like on the OM61X series engines (240D has a OM616). Pre filling the filter makes starting a lot easier, but you must make sure it is completely clean or you risk clogging something with unfiltered fuel. I always filled my filters with Diesel Purge so that it served a dual purpose. As far as starting, fully depress the accelerator and hold it the entire time you are trying to start the car, repeat until success.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:28 PM

O.K.... Finished... we finally got it going.

Several things to be aware of... ALWAYS fill the canister filter all the way to overflow before screwing back on.

* Don't crank engine more than 30 seconds at a time
* Be ready to re-charge battery when starter begins slowing down
• Be sure to put new o-ring on "cap" to pre-filter, otherwise huge seepage.
• If no success after several 30 second crankings, shim the canister filter up tight against it's mounting surface, and remove the main bolt that holds it on. Fill any remaining room in filter with any/all types of ATF - sounds strange, but trust me, it works.
* Re-insert main bolt on filter, and crank again. If still no luck, try ATF fill one more time. It took two times for it to start, but that was before realizing that I need a new o-ring on the pre-filter cap.

Good Luck.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by E300D95Jeff
O.K.... Finished... we finally got it going.

Several things to be aware of... ALWAYS fill the canister filter all the way to overflow before screwing back on.

* Don't crank engine more than 30 seconds at a time
* Be ready to re-charge battery when starter begins slowing down
• Be sure to put new o-ring on "cap" to pre-filter, otherwise huge seepage.
• If no success after several 30 second crankings, shim the canister filter up tight against it's mounting surface, and remove the main bolt that holds it on. Fill any remaining room in filter with any/all types of ATF - sounds strange, but trust me, it works.
* Re-insert main bolt on filter, and crank again. If still no luck, try ATF fill one more time. It took two times for it to start, but that was before realizing that I need a new o-ring on the pre-filter cap.

Good Luck.
No problem on the ATF. We would use ATF on all the diesel filters straight out of the bulk pump and they would start and run just fine. No noticable difference at all. Clean too.