E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Now I have a good reason to order a NEW grille insert...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Now I have a good reason to order a NEW grille insert...

So, as I've inquired about here previously, I've been thinking about how to improve the look of my 300E grille, seeing as how all the chrome on the insert was faded and the black portions were fading/peeling to gray. I had decided to remove the insert and repaint it black, while ordering some replacement chrome strips.

Well, today I was driving on the highway when the SUV in front of me sucked up off of the road a rather large piece of debris. I was 5 or 6 car lengths behind, but there was no time to change lanes, and little time to brake (which wouldn't have made a difference anyway as there were cars behind me, and by the time I reached the debris it was completely airborne--several feet off the ground--and directly in my path). So my car impacted what turned out to be a 4' x 4' piece of thick-looking PLYWOOD at 70-80 mph. I think it was roughly parallel to the ground when I hit it, meaning my car struck the edge rather than the face of the board. It disappeared below my hoodline just before impact, and then I heard the thunk and actually FELT my car hit the board. This was followed by the sound of shattering glass (I had both front windows down) and the sight of my amber driver's side turn signal scattering onto the shoulder behind me.

Looking over the damage, I think I got off pretty lucky considering the size and evident weight of the debris (and the speed I was going). My tired grille insert absorbed the lion's share of the shock--it shattered into about 10 pieces, and I've since removed what remained of it from the chrome grille surround (which is COMPLETELY intact ). My driver's side headlight is shattered (the bulb still works), and the top edge of the plexiglass "headlight door" [surround] is gone. And my amber driver's side turn signal lens is gone completely (that bulb still works as well, and the housing looks all right). Also, while the headlight wiper arm still appears functional (the glass it rests on is gone), the part ON THE BACK of the arm that holds the blade is gone. Luckily, there is NO damage to the hood or any other sheet metal, and no damage to the front bumper either. Like I said, the grille insert [which I've complained about so much lately] took the majority of the hit.

I just ordered a new grille insert (complete with new chrome strips) from this place: http://mercedessource.com/node/1304 (thanks CLJ!). $42.95. I was probably going to end up doing that anyway.

However, I also need a new headlight assembly and turn signal assembly. I'm thinking the auto parts store would have the headlight assembly--it's a generic one, right?--and I could get the turn signal piece from a junkyard. Are those parts hard to remove/put in? I think I'll be able to put in the grille insert when it comes, but would appreciate guidance swapping out the headlight and turn signal assemblies.

And a word really should be said about the @$$H*L3$ who don't find it important to properly secure junk they're carrying while driving on public highways used by others. I mean, imagine if I had been in the same place at the same time in a Rolls-Royce Phantom or a Maybach? You think it'd cost just a little bit more than $100-150 to repair the damage???

Last edited by WDBEA30D; 08-05-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:04 PM

2008 BMW 328i
Originally Posted by WDBEA30D
And a word really should be said about the @$$H*L3$ who don't find it important to properly secure junk they're carrying while driving on public highways used by others. I mean, imagine if I had been in the same place at the same time in a Rolls-Royce Phantom or a Maybach? You think it'd cost just a little bit more than $100-150 to repair the damage???
Just a weeeeeeeeee tad bit more! Just a pinch.

*sarcasm* lol
Old 08-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Almost a Member!

1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Just a weeeeeeeeee tad bit more
...than the life of the ignoramous who litters our highways with debris is worth. Sorry to be harsh.

I just noticed that the plastic piece which attaches to the front bumper is gone too, along with my front tag. That'll make things even more interesting, as now I've got to get Motor Vehicles involved, and pay like a $20 "Substitute Tag Fee" in addition to all the other stuff I've got to replace.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
...than the life of the ignoramous who litters our highways with debris is worth. Sorry to be harsh.

I just noticed that the plastic piece which attaches to the front bumper is gone too, along with my front tag. That'll make things even more interesting, as now I've got to get Motor Vehicles involved, and pay like a $20 "Substitute Tag Fee" in addition to all the other stuff I've got to replace.
And that plastic piece has to be custom painted, too. I had the dealer replace mine when I bought the car because it was cracked.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
haha, Mercedessource is the reason I got into Mercedes. I worked for that guy all throughout H.S. in the summer time at his shop.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Almost a Member!

1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
shdoug, I think you are fortunately mistaken! The '86-'89 300E's have the uglier dark gray plastic front and rear bumpers, regardless of the exterior color of the car. The '90-'93 300E's and the W124 E320's have body-color bumpers. I guess this works to my advantage.

Even though MD requires front tags, I'm in no hurry about that right now--I'd rather get my grille, headlight and turn signal fixed. At worst I'll get a $50 ticket, and that's only if a cop is petty enough to pull me over (which I know many are) and isn't sympathetic to my explanation about what happened.

myfirstbenz, that is pretty cool that you worked for Mercedessource. They seemed to have pretty good prices on the stuff. I'll be ordering an $80 headlight and $53 turn signal from there if I can't get cheaper parts from a junkyard.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
No they don't. 94-95 E320s have something CLOSE to body color painted bumpers but they are still not exact. 1990 has grey with black bump strips.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
myfirstbenz, that is pretty cool that you worked for Mercedessource. They seemed to have pretty good prices on the stuff. I'll be ordering an $80 headlight and $53 turn signal from there if I can't get cheaper parts from a junkyard.

Are you getting a US headlight?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Almost a Member!

1987 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Yeah, just the OEM U.S. style that came with the car (1987). I need the d/s turn signal too--the bulb still works but the amber lens is gone. I thought about changing both lenses to 1994/1995 E320-style, but I'll just stick with the stock amber ones. ALSO I would like to get two new "headlight doors" (the plexiglass housing that surrounds the headlight and covers the fog lights) as the existing ones are hazed and the the d/s one is actually damaged from the impact (top edge is missing). Those are not as important as the headlight and turn signal, though. I'm looking for the cheapest parts available--probably used ones. I prefer the "headlight doors" to be brand new, though, when I get around to buying those.

Also, how hard is this stuff to install once I get it?