E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hi Newbie reporting in!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW MKV GTI
Hi Newbie reporting in!

Hi guys, I am brand new to MB world, never own one but looking at one right now. I am thinking about purchusing a pre-minor change 300E for a long distance cruiser + daily driver + beater. So hope to learn alot from you guys!

well right away, I know w124 are the last true Merc E class but i am wondering after 20 years are they still capable to doing 300mile per trip without breaking sweat? And if buying one how hard is it to work on it yourself?

Finally anythings i should look out for when buying?

Thanks in advance!

and please don't me!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
300 miles shouldn't be a problem.... it's pretty easy for the DIYer if you already know the basics of car repair...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by fairladyz_gt-r
Hi guys, I am brand new to MB world, never own one but looking at one right now. I am thinking about purchusing a pre-minor change 300E for a long distance cruiser + daily driver + beater. So hope to learn alot from you guys!

well right away, I know w124 are the last true Merc E class but i am wondering after 20 years are they still capable to doing 300mile per trip without breaking sweat? And if buying one how hard is it to work on it yourself?

Thanks in advance!

and please don't me!
Couple things.. I just took my 94 e320 on a round tripper to Boston from Chicago. It did awesome getting a high of 26.8 MPG at 75-80 mph range (and never under 24.5 even through the mountains even topping 100mph frequently). The car handled a pass through the Appalachian mountains at 90mph like it was going down the street to 7-11. It is more about the condition of the car you buy than the age. If it has been kept up to par it will run like new. My total trip I put about 2600 miles on the car and I felt completely refreshed at the end even on the long haul back in the car for 17.5 hours.

There are some things to check for which have been thoroughly threaded here
search the following

Wiring harness
Head Gasket
Evap core
Subwoofers interfering with the fuel pump welds (probably the most serious issue for any 124 owner)

And as far as getting banned people are very slow to do that as long as you are not harassing other folks and being stupid. This forum helped me tremendously in my search and decision on what to look for in my 124.

IF you have the chance my opinion is to go with the later models 94-95 e320 or 420. They have great upside as the refinement hit its peak. I looked at about 25 - 30 cars and the 94-95 were always in the best shape. Just my opinion.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:04 AM

1994 E320
I have driven few W124's, but 94-95 year seem to be the best ones (for me at least). But if you do find nice example of older one, that was nicely cared for i would go for it! Good luck!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 AM

VW MKV GTI
Thanks for the comment guys! i will definetly read into the 4 problem.

I am mainly looking at the pre-minor change car because one of my friend is selling her W124, and she is probably going to let it go at about 1000~1500USD. So i figure that's a good price (at least i hope it is)

Thanks for the great comment and welcome guys!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
That is precisely what they are made for....I've run my (recently sold 300CE) from ATL to Houston, ATL to D.C., ATL to Orlando and ATL to Michigan and the car just purrs along.

I'd have no hesitation taking my wagon on long road trips either.

Keep up the maintenance and repair and it was last a long time.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:13 AM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat

Thanks in advance!

and please don't me!
well i have a 260e mind you my car has alot wrong with it but is running well in 2 weeks i run about 650 miles

as for working on it ....if you dont know a benz to well and just eyeball things and go off what you know i would say add 2 or 3 hours on what your doing. it also depends on how big of a job your doing on the car. over my 260e i would say the 300e is alot more nice and a bit more of a daily driver

i add on 2 or 3 hours becuz i do alot of looking asking and making shure i do the job right the 1st time.

Last edited by Rio Z Lander; 04-26-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:08 AM

1989 W201 1999 W210
We had a 88' 260e that ran 400 miles a week loaded in the trunk. It was used to carry equipment and such. Anyway, it had so many things wrong with it, leaks, head gasket busted, and whatnot. Regardless of that, it ran so well. The only reason we got rid of it was because we were victim of hit and run. The car was parked and the back got smashed. It was a transport car do that didn't matter to us, but we got pulled over by a trooper that ticketed us mandatory to get it fixed.

It ran strong 325,000 miles and probably would have still been running. Original tranny too!