E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Just bought an 87 260E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
I only used three bottles of ISO-HEET on half a tank and it only cost $1 and change each... The difference is that ISO-HEET is almost 100% Isopropyl alcohol and safe on cars and Denatured alchohol is basically ethanol. I would add three bottles to 1/4 of a tank... instead of $20 for a gallon of denatured alcohol. I only spent $80 getting my car smoged including oil change, ISO-HEET, and smog test. Also, I got a free re-test if the first one fails...

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 04-13-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
HAHA!

6 bottles of ISO-HEET on 1/2 tank full of gas.

LMAO DONE!! Party time!!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Dude, Congrats! ..... So that's the 260 down and the TE... What's next?

So what other steps did you follow?

I think I need to buy more w124s with fuel injection problems or smog problems and work some magic on them. Probably find them cheap too..

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 04-13-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Before it passed, the last thing I did was swap the O2 sensor with an old on from my TE (it looked visually much better than the one I pulled), got an oil change and put a new air filter on...

Now I can get onto getting the fender replaced (I found one at the junkyard that is near perfect...just needs to be painted black.)

It needs a damn good clean too. Didn't feel like doing anything to this car visually until it passed the smog.

The odometer does not work and I got a full cluster from the junkyard....can I just "plug n play" so I can calculate MPG in this car?
How would I roll back the odometer so I get close to my real number?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
You didn't adjust the mixture? it should be around 14.7..

You gotta move some tabs...I forgot how it looks...but it's going to be a B!@#! getting the speedo cable back on.... I hate it with a passion...I still need to connect mine but i'm just going to do it when i replace the lower dash...
Old 04-13-2009, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
I set it to 50% where it should be....
It looks like I misunderstood the whole mixture process before.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...d.php?t=249995

Okay thanks. I'll see what I can do
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I set it to 50% where it should be....
It looks like I misunderstood the whole mixture process before.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...d.php?t=249995
All I have to say is to look at my smog test. I flipped the number on the 15 and 25mph test and changed the CO2 levels. There are too many issues with a 23 year old car to have everything to spec. You can use the mixture screw to compensate for somethings in the CIS system. Like i said, after you adjust it, you need to drive the car around so the computer can readjust the a/f mixture. I've read all the procedures and all the manuals how to set everything to spec but sometimes it just doesn't work. It baffles a lot of mechanics including mine when they check everything and it's all up to spec and get stuck there because the car still runs like crap. I've had my car for almost 10 years and it passed smog every time except this time because I adjusted it before for mpg ( 14.9% CO2 = lean mixture). I've never had to change the cat either on it, but whatever works I guess...
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
All I have to say is to look at my smog test. I flipped the number on the 15 and 25mph test and changed the CO2 levels. There are too many issues with a 23 year old car to have everything to spec. You can use the mixture screw to compensate for somethings in the CIS system. Like i said, after you adjust it, you need to drive the car around so the computer can readjust the a/f mixture. I've read all the procedures and all the manuals how to set everything to spec but sometimes it just doesn't work. It baffles a lot of mechanics including mine when they check everything and it's all up to spec and get stuck there because the car still runs like crap. I've had my car for almost 10 years and it passed smog every time except this time because I adjusted it before for mpg ( 14.9% CO2 = lean mixture). I've never had to change the cat either on it, but whatever works I guess...
I just hear both sides of the story -- but the reality is I kinda agree with you. If the system is supposed to make no difference whether you put it at 60% or 40%...then why does it make a difference? The 260E seems to choke at 65% when revving up, but at 45% it does not....

I will now tweak the mixture a little leaner for mpg as in reality thats what the purpose of this car is --- Keep the wagon nice, Make working on the wagon easier, keep the miles down and have something a little more economical for day-to-day use.

Ah that reminds me -- Is there a decent cover I can buy that will fit my wagon? I plan to just drive it maybe once or twice a week and keep it out of the sun under the cover the rest of the time. I looked, but didn't find a whole lot....just many "generic" ones.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
I just read up on the instrument cluster speedo cable...It seems like a big job because it says you have to disconnect it at the transmission so not to kink the cable. True?

Gonna go take a look at getting a cheap ipod headunit today. I have two 4" speakers in my MB box somewhere that I replace the stock ones with. I think I'll build a small sub box like I have in my TE....except square instead of triangle this time
Probably just a single 10" will work fine. Cheap as possible. Don't need anything amazing. Hell I have two cheap *** DUAL subs in my wagon and it sounds perfect for what I like. Total build cost me less than $100 for subs + amp + box build.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by ps2cho
I just read up on the instrument cluster speedo cable...It seems like a big job because it says you have to disconnect it at the transmission so not to kink the cable. True?

Gonna go take a look at getting a cheap ipod headunit today. I have two 4" speakers in my MB box somewhere that I replace the stock ones with. I think I'll build a small sub box like I have in my TE....except square instead of triangle this time
Probably just a single 10" will work fine. Cheap as possible. Don't need anything amazing. Hell I have two cheap *** DUAL subs in my wagon and it sounds perfect for what I like. Total build cost me less than $100 for subs + amp + box build.
I've replaced the instrument cluster many times, it just takes good pull tools enough to get your hand in and unscrew the cable behind it. You loosen the slack where it passes at the footwell. To remove the cable at the transmission requires removing the cross brace to get to the 10mm bolt. I've never had to do that until removing the engine/trans.

There are gears you can buy to fix the odo/speedo...
Old 04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I've replaced the instrument cluster many times, it just takes good pull tools enough to get your hand in and unscrew the cable behind it. You loosen the slack where it passes at the footwell. To remove the cable at the transmission requires removing the cross brace to get to the 10mm bolt. I've never had to do that until removing the engine/trans.

There are gears you can buy to fix the odo/speedo...
It's easy to unscrew the cable but to put it back in is a lot of work. If you got a better way to put it back on let me know because i always end up with my arm all bruised up from trying to put my hand through the a/c vents.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
I was able to do it at the junkyard. :-/

Just connect everything else first and the cable last. Maybe it has something to do with my little girly arms.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:08 AM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
I was able to do it at the junkyard. :-/

Just connect everything else first and the cable last. Maybe it has something to do with my little girly arms.
I don't see what the problem is, it's not the smallest space I had to put my hands...
Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Ok glad to hear I don't need to take the cable off the tranny...phew!

What tools do you guys use to pry it out? I heard of a coathanger maybe? How does the mechanism that holds it in place work/where is it?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 AM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Here is a do it yourself link. I have to do the same thing Once I get mine running.
http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124InstCluster
That link for changing cluster.

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/DoItYourSelf
Thats just to have.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
How does the mechanism that holds it in place work/where is it?
There is no mechanism that holds it in place, the cluster is held by rubber pads on the top and bottom.

lol....u need to help me connect my cable then..
Old 04-17-2009, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by epowers777
Here is a do it yourself link. I have to do the same thing Once I get mine running.
http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W124InstCluster
That link for changing cluster.

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/DoItYourSelf
Thats just to have.
Awesome thanks. Forgot there was a DIY there! I'll get to it tomorrow hopefully and get the Odometer working so I can work out MPG

Any of you guys swapped out the headunit and recabled it yourself? I remember something about an adapter you need or something?
I want to swap it myself...no point paying somebody else to do it. It's not hard...just need some info on making sure I get the wires connected to each other correctly because I vaguely remember it not being straightforward.

Thinking of grabbing a cheap $100 headunit (no crap looking..just no special features as I don't need them) from worstbuy or target.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Any of you guys swapped out the headunit and recabled it yourself? I remember something about an adapter you need or something?
I want to swap it myself...no point paying somebody else to do it. It's not hard...just need some info on making sure I get the wires connected to each other correctly because I vaguely remember it not being straightforward.

Thinking of grabbing a cheap $100 headunit (no crap looking..just no special features as I don't need them) from worstbuy or target.
Yeah, it's pretty easy. I have a DUAL mp3 head unit new in box, pm me if u want it...I re wired all the speakers directly to bypass the fader. I think the wires are brown, gray, and something else with a stripe. It should be in the CD.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
That was a lot easier than expected!

I just pulled the driver carpet and pulled the speedo cable up for some slack...
Created my 6" hanger-made device like so: (I did 6" because 5" does not give you the leverage to pull I found)

and it has plenty of room to get your hand behind to unscrew the speedo and go to town!

Swapped it out and its all running great now. At a later date I'll reset the odometer to 81k...but for now I will just leave it alone as it works. I wanna figure out MPG in this thing now This odometer right now has 260k miles!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
and it has plenty of room to get your hand behind to unscrew the speedo and go to town!
It's not impossible but my forearm and hand don't really fit between the dash the the cluster for me to be able to screw in. I'll have to borrow my little cousin to screw the cluster in...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
It's not impossible but my forearm and hand don't really fit between the dash the the cluster for me to be able to screw in. I'll have to borrow my little cousin to screw the cluster in...
Even with a big wrist I think you should be able to fit through!
Did you make sure to pull the speedo cable up from the floor to give you as much slack as possible?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Before it passed, the last thing I did was swap the O2 sensor with an old on from my TE (it looked visually much better than the one I pulled), got an oil change and put a new air filter on...

Now I can get onto getting the fender replaced (I found one at the junkyard that is near perfect...just needs to be painted black.)

It needs a damn good clean too. Didn't feel like doing anything to this car visually until it passed the smog.

The odometer does not work and I got a full cluster from the junkyard....can I just "plug n play" so I can calculate MPG in this car?
How would I roll back the odometer so I get close to my real number?
Makita drill to turn the geer. You can actually run it all the way around back to the mileage. Try it in reverse slowly on the old one and see if it will work. Some are protected against rollback so you gotta go around.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Even with a big wrist I think you should be able to fit through!
Did you make sure to pull the speedo cable up from the floor to give you as much slack as possible?
Well, the cable has been connected but i don't know what plenty of space you where talking about. The problem I had was screwing the speedo cable into the cluster. It's easy to unscrew and take the cluster off, to put it back is another issue. I guess it depends because you have to pull the cable and screw it in at the same time. There isn't enough slack to just simply put the cluster and screw the cable without pushing the cluster against your wrist. It's the same everytime i remove the cluster on any w124...

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 04-20-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Well, the cable has been connected but i don't know what plenty of space you where talking about. The problem I had was screwing the speedo cable into the cluster. It's easy to unscrew and take the cluster off, to put it back is another issue. I guess it depends because you have to pull the cable and screw it in at the same time. There isn't enough slack to just simply put the cluster and screw the cable without pushing the cluster against your wrist. It's the same everytime i remove the cluster on any w124...
MMm maybe my cable is longer for some reason? Because I had no problems and it still had extra slack....

----

Ok with the odometer working (par resetting it back...but thats not a high priority right now)
....Next up is A/C.

Its HOT AS HELL right now in socal and its undrivable in this heat...so A/C is next priority.
With the button on, the compressor does not engage. It has been converted by the MB dealership to R134A. What should I first check to figure out why its not engaging?
I bought a while back one of those recharge kits so if I could get it working + recharged if needed that would be great as I'd like to spend as little money as possible on this car for right now as I've spent a little too much money in general over the past 2-3 months
Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Just filled up today. Got 21.5mpg driving with a little lead foot. What do ya think? About 50:50 freeway city

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought an 87 260E