E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Did your car ever leave you stranded?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 300TE (S124)
Did your car ever leave you stranded?

I am curious to find out if you get advance notice with the 124 if something serious is going to fail so you'll have enough time to fix and won't be stranded on the side of the road.

Or can everything work fine and before you know it, you'll be on the side of road or you're stuck far away from home?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
When my cap & rotor went out it totally caught me off guard. I probably should have seen the signs but I hardly drive the wagon more than a few miles so I wasn't really putting it all together until after the fact.

What was worse was that I had my two kids in the car and it stalled while I was making a left into a retail center driveway with traffic approaching from a short distance away. It made it into the driveway but couldn't quite get up over it but at least it was out of the way of the on-coming traffic. The driveway was too steep so I couldn't push it by myself up the driveway and steer it and I couldn't back it out and try and pull it over to the side because it was a busy street. Luckily after about 5 minutes a guy noticed and pulled over and helped me push it up and to the side.

I really appreciated his help and it really changed the way I feel about seeing people stranded on the road. I think it may have helped me that you could see my kids in the backseat and it was obvious I was in a situation I couldn't get out of alone.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Once kinda, my fuel pump relay went out so i pulled over on the side of the freeway and changed it lmao...Yeah, i carry extra fuel pump and ovp relays. I've never had a major problem with my car but i'm gonna be sad to see it go...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
My CE used to strand me. We fixed it the first time by replacing Cap/Rotor/Plugs (fouled)/ and Ignition wires.

The next random failure was due to my MAS relay going to crap. It needed the pins re-soldered but I couldn't figure out how to open it without breaking it so I just had to suck it up and buy another unit.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Never been stranded in mine, my car seems to fix it self when it does have an issue . . .

The only time it has really broken down was when my Air Mass Sensor went out but after starting it and driving it a few miles it shut itself off then i started it again and again a few times and made it home then it started and ran fine all the way to the shop the next day (20 miles) but other than that and the occasional flat tire no major breakdowns
Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 PM

300TE / 300E / 300CE
fuel pump relay and another time the voltage regulator...
Old 08-18-2009, 07:25 AM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
I was going to take off on a hill with alot of cars around me car died cause the temp sensor. I was embarrassing everyone was looking at me One guy laughed at me while driving by and said its a mercedes!!! I said hey least I got one she started up first geared it and smoked the tires. He stalled!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Once, because I almost ran out of gas!

On a serious note, only once.....ALMOST. My front right caliper started freezing a bit and would cause rapid shaking and an audible low humming, I was on the highway. I could not figure out what it was at first, I took a gamble figuring it would go away and decided to take a trek to Tuxedo Park in NY to see some relatives, bad idea. The shaking started and got pretty bad, I pulled over and felt the face of each rim, the front right rim was hot. Spit through the hole and heard a sizzle, I was able to limp it home and swap cars. A easy caliper rebuild had me up and running fine a few days later, it was hard driving 50mph on the highway in the meantime. Talk about a beast of a car!!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Car only left me stranded when the alternator died. But the signs were that all the lights on the instrument panel went on even when driving. Should have looked it up instead of leaving it for 3 days.

Other than that, neither have left me stranded in 4 years.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Frozen clutch on my smog pump stranded me about 15 miles out in the rain for a day.

Other than that, nothing that I didn't expect.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 PM

'90 300TE (S124)
Thanks for the great info. It seems like many problems can be avoided with preventative maintenance (surprise..!). And taking care of warning lights asap, of course..