E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

My W124 woes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420
My W124 woes...

I am officially disappointed in Mercedes. I came from the Audi scene, sold my 2003 A4 quattro this winter and immediately started looking for a w124 E320 or E420. I had purchased a non-running 1995 E420 years back, and even though I ended up selling it before I fixed it I was still impressed with the car.

I bought my 1995 E320 earlier this year, it ran perfect, only 114,000 miles and a clean carfax, I thought I got a steal. Nope. My car has not even rolled over 116,000 miles yet and I have already pumped thousands of dollars into it. One morning it failed to start, turns out my tumblers crumbled in the ignition, had to replace the whole ignition and order a new key. At the same exact time, my neutral safety switch went out, so I had to get that replaced as well. About that time I started thinking to myself "I should sell this thing", and when the first buyer comes to look at it, my reverse failed to work. I took it to the shop, they checked it out and... time for a new transmission. Get that replaced, and several hundred miles later my engine light goes on. I finally fixed that, and my "new" car is now up for sale.

I understand that I might have the "lemon" in the batch, or maybe a bad owner before me, but I am done with German cars. My Audi was nowhere near reliable, the W124 ended up being even worse. I'm buying a Lexus.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:06 PM

2001 BMW M3 vert
A lot of that has to do with owning a much older car. I had a 98 A4 and can't even begin to tell you how much of a nightmare it was. I've been lucky though. My 124 isn't my daily driver but I've had it for 3 years and literally haven't replaced a thing on it.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:10 PM

85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Well the first problem is you took it to a. Alot of us here do our own work. Shops charge to much.With that many miles did you do any preventive maint? My TE 91 has 230xxx miles and the previous owner dumped 8 grand into the engine from an mb shop.woulda cost me maybe 2ooo. my buddy got a lexus and it more expensive than both my benzs good luck!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:36 PM

1995 E420
Originally Posted by epowers777
Well the first problem is you took it to a. Alot of us here do our own work. Shops charge to much.With that many miles did you do any preventive maint? My TE 91 has 230xxx miles and the previous owner dumped 8 grand into the engine from an mb shop.woulda cost me maybe 2ooo. my buddy got a lexus and it more expensive than both my benzs good luck!
I paid $400 for the transmission install and only a couple hundred total for the labor for my other issues, it was the MB parts that ate up my wallet. I used people I know who have shops, I never go to the MB Dealerships. I didnt have a chance to do any preventative maintenance because I have owned it for less than 2000 miles total, only thing I had a chance to do was an oil change. And yeah, I agree, its not a new car and I should have expected it, I just didnt expect so much to break so soon. I've had my mind set on a Lexus for a while, though, and this experience just made me want a Japanese car more than ever.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
i like infinitis
Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 PM

1995 E420
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
i like infinitis
That too. I would get either an M45 or a sedan G35.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 PM

1994 C124 E320 Coupe - 1975 W116 280S
Originally Posted by geoshu
I am officially disappointed in Mercedes. I came from the Audi scene, sold my 2003 A4 quattro this winter and immediately started looking for a w124 E320 or E420. I had purchased a non-running 1995 E420 years back, and even though I ended up selling it before I fixed it I was still impressed with the car.

I bought my 1995 E320 earlier this year, it ran perfect, only 114,000 miles and a clean carfax, I thought I got a steal. Nope. My car has not even rolled over 116,000 miles yet and I have already pumped thousands of dollars into it. One morning it failed to start, turns out my tumblers crumbled in the ignition, had to replace the whole ignition and order a new key. At the same exact time, my neutral safety switch went out, so I had to get that replaced as well. About that time I started thinking to myself "I should sell this thing", and when the first buyer comes to look at it, my reverse failed to work. I took it to the shop, they checked it out and... time for a new transmission. Get that replaced, and several hundred miles later my engine light goes on. I finally fixed that, and my "new" car is now up for sale.

I understand that I might have the "lemon" in the batch, or maybe a bad owner before me, but I am done with German cars. My Audi was nowhere near reliable, the W124 ended up being even worse. I'm buying a Lexus.
W124s unfortunately are sometimes not taken care of due to the reasons that some people can't afford to keep them up.

114k miles is VERY young for ANY W124.

The key tumbler issue sounds like someone didn't use keys with the proper material. The key tumblers are bulletproof and don't like anything than the steel factor laser cut keys.

Neutral safety switch is a common issue that props up around the 100k mile mark.

Transmission failure is EXTRAORDINARILY premature in your case. Someone really didn't take care of your car previously.

Do note that even if you get a used Lexus, you have the potential of it being a money pit as well. These aren't reliability issues or build quality issues. These are maintenance issues. You should very much know that any used car is bound to need some work at some point or another.

next time before you step into the room make sure you know what you're walking into. Consult us. And do make note, don't let this W124 experience taint you because if you remain that way you're extremely missing out.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
The only thin i've had to change on my transmission is the oil and filter. Also, i've change the flex disc twice in about 7-8 years.

About that time I started thinking to myself "I should sell this thing", and when the first buyer comes to look at it, my reverse failed to work.
Btw, there are some cars that just don't want to be sold..

I had a mustang that every time a buyer came it wouldn't start. Right after they left, started right away and ran fine for weeks until another buyer came to look at it.

I still don't know what was wrong with it...

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 09-03-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Originally Posted by Chinny4290
And do make note, don't let this W124 experience taint you because if you remain that way you're extremely missing out.
QFT. You will find hundreds of threads over and over again praising the w124 series over its reliability. I believe that car just had a poor history and remember much of the stuff that you have done is one time deal -- Tumbler will last indefinitely now assuming you bought a half decent one and a factory cut key -- Transmission "should" be bulletproof now. Neutral safety switch every 100k miles -- You are set in that dept. Only things really left are suspension arm bushings

The matter of the fact is how many 90's Audi's do you see on the road today that are in good condition?

These forums are loaded with information....Use them to your advantage and save yourself a ton of money. Even if you aren't the best mechanic, there are tons of DIY's with pictures that make it very easy for you to figure it out and save money.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I used this and other forums as a resource before I bought my first W124. And I used to be an apprentice motor mechanic at a Mercedes Benz agent a long time ago.

I never understand the rhetoric of people who just buy something then whine about it. You aren't buying a washing machine. A car is a very dynamic thing. It does a lot of things. Your standard appliance doesn't excite you when you go to use it (and im talking about Toyotas too here) unless you really like doing laundry. In which case, this is the wrong forum for you.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
I've been able to maintain my 1986 with over 200K on a "college student" budget. I'm not poor, but I do all of the work myself and can easily afford to play. I don't understand why people complain about spending 2k even 3K on an old car like this that is MASSIVLY underpriced in the US as it is. 2-3K to get an old car daily drivable, beats going to a dealership and getting raped for a "new car". Mine has never EVER left me stranded on those long solitary rides through PA I-80, or anywhere else for that matter. I did sink some money into it, but its been 3 years and I'm still happy. I would'nt be caught dead in a Lexus, firstly because I'm obviously prejudiced against Jap cars . Secondly, there are two words that do not belong together, Luxury and Japanese, reliable is the only word I would use. G35 ftw.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:41 PM

1995 E420
I actually did a lot of research on the W124 before buying it, read a bunch of consumer reviews (read the threads in this forum too), and everyone was saying good things about them, so I figured I would get it. I understand things break and I expected it, just not thousands of dollars worth in 2K Miles. I might get another Mercedes some time down the road, but not now.

Originally Posted by neanderthal
I used this and other forums as a resource before I bought my first W124. And I used to be an apprentice motor mechanic at a Mercedes Benz agent a long time ago.

I never understand the rhetoric of people who just buy something then whine about it. You aren't buying a washing machine. A car is a very dynamic thing. It does a lot of things. Your standard appliance doesn't excite you when you go to use it (and im talking about Toyotas too here) unless you really like doing laundry. In which case, this is the wrong forum for you.
Where was I whining? I simply laid out what broke on my car since I bought it and said I was disappointed in my car. I'm not a Mercedes mechanic like you and don't ever plan on becoming one, but I enjoy my cars and this one just has not been enjoyable for me.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
.......said I was disappointed in my car.
At first you were "officially disappointed in Mercedes" which is why you were met with lots of "nice" comments. You either did not do enough research, thought you did but didn't, or you got a W124 that hates you.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
So let me get this straight....you bought a 14 year old mercedes, clearly sans researching THAT particular car, it broke and cost you money and now you are disappointed in Mercedes?

You should be disappointed in you. A poorly maintained car bought by someone expecting mint for a deal is always going to end in Fail. See?

My car is 19, costs a couple grand a year, isn't fast, isn't perfect, overheats and I FU(KING LOVE it.

Have a nice day.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 AM

1995 E420
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
So let me get this straight....you bought a 14 year old mercedes, clearly sans researching THAT particular car, it broke and cost you money and now you are disappointed in Mercedes?

You should be disappointed in you. A poorly maintained car bought by someone expecting mint for a deal is always going to end in Fail. See?

My car is 19, costs a couple grand a year, isn't fast, isn't perfect, overheats and I FU(KING LOVE it.

Have a nice day.
Would you feel better if I said "disappointed in my Mercedes"? Its the only Mercedes I've owned. I don't consider this a fail, I'm disappointed in my car and consider it a learning experience. I guess its just not the car for me, I dont want a car that overheats and costs me a couple grand a year.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on the day
Would you feel better if I said "disappointed in my Mercedes"? Its the only Mercedes I've owned. I don't consider this a fail, I'm disappointed in my car and consider it a learning experience. I guess its just not the car for me, I dont want a car that overheats and costs me a couple grand a year.
Honda.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:02 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
You really do just have to accept it, if you fall in love with one of these cars. Some guys do get very lucky with lower cost of ownership for relatively short periods of time, or they save by doing work themselves.

I was angry too when my 1995 E320 had so many issues at about 100K miles and it wasn’t because of a lack of maintenance. I owned the car since 1997 when it had only 18K miles and the car was dealer maintained until about 90K miles when I realized the dealer just wasn’t worth the extra cost. Like you, I have transmission issues and I have read that many other have them too. I think it isn’t really all that unusual to have transmission issues somewhere between 100K and 150K miles. I also did the neutral safety switch, like many or even most others have to do at some point in these older cars. The tumbler thing seems weird, but an odd thing can go wrong on any car.

The reality is that you will likely face many more issues. I would say that it is almost a certainty that you will have to do the head gasket and front timing cover on a 1995 E320. You will also have to replace a wiring harness or two and the parts are not inexpensive. Inevitably you will also probably have some relatively expensive leaks to fix in the AC system. Then there is also the exhaust replacement, since it isn’t stainless like a Honda Accord. I even had the spring perch fail, but I do live in the rust belt with winter snow and salt on the roads. Then there will also be cosmetic things, like cracked leather seating, a deteriorating steering wheel, or the fading clear coat.

So, if you can, fall in love with a newer Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. Just know that there really is something special about these cars, even with their flaws. For many here, their W124s will have to be pried away from their cold dead hands.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
For many here, their W124s will have to be pried away from their cold dead hands.

-------

Countless 124 owners have said this to me about their cars, and I have 7 so my bias is apparent.

OP researched the model not the car. Learned his lesson the hard way, now, selling the car will reinforce that lesson. More pain to come, methinks.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by ksing44
For many here, their W124s will have to be pried away from their cold dead hands.
Couldn't have said it any better. I don't let people drive my wagon. This thing will never leave my hands. 260E....I'm indifferent about until I get her to the visual and mechanical place I want her to be at....but when there, I am sure I will have fallen in love with her too
Old 09-06-2009, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To me it's just a car, one that could be replaced with myriad other cars that I would love to own. I probably wouldn't fall in love with those other cars (none are new models incidentally, i'm more of an old car guy) as much as I have with the W124.

The W124 is a perfect car IMO. When it's not giving you problems.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM

mercedes 260e
hi - the w124 is, very understandably, one of the best MB cars ever designed and built.....it was designed by engineers rather than the new models (designed by accountants with their cost cutting)....just by closing the door....heavy clunk sound....it makes me realise everytime...this is a quailty car....even after 20 years....there are more w124 on the road than any other 20 year old cars.....

When the car's problems are fixed (igniton trumber, rusts on front wings, suspension's springs and lower ball joint - common faults)...the w124 will reward you with its excellent characters....strong built and smooth drive.

But there are some 'owners' who does not realise the need to do their homework first, before buying any w124. Because the prevous owner may not have kept their car in a first class condition...skipping works and service to their car.....therefore forcing an excellent car to become a wreck.....this is a pity....however there some of us, who will spend time and money to make our w124 back to be a prestige car....and be rewarded every time we drive our car.....

i just want to mention how 'good' the w124 is.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 AM

08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
In the last year I bought 2 Lexuses, '08 RX350 AWD for my wife and '08 GS350 AWD for me. I still keep my '95 E320 for my daughter. She turns 16 in a week and that's going to be her ride. (Isn't she lucky!).

My life with Lexus is very boring. The stupid thing never breaks, everything always works. No excitement, no fun, no adventure. Yes, I remember that they both are 14 years younger then my Benz.

I just decided to get away from Mercedes in general, because even the new ones are unreliable and extremely expensive to own after the warranty runs out. No regrets so far.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
I hope your daughter appreciates what an absolute awesome car she is inheriting
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Arnie
My life with Lexus is very boring. The stupid thing never breaks, everything always works. No excitement, no fun, no adventure.
That sounds terrible!!!

Originally Posted by Arnie
I just decided to get away from Mercedes in general, because even the new ones are unreliable and extremely expensive to own after the warranty runs out. No regrets so far.
Me too, after I finally give up on this old pretty one.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 PM

1995 E420
Originally Posted by ksing44
I have definitely noticed that from reading these threads. Its still up for sale, though, so if I don't get a decent price I just might be keeping it. I appreciate everyone's input, and the car has no new issues yet, so thats a relief.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My W124 woes...