E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Rainbow Car Audio Speakers for W124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes Benz 300D
Rainbow Car Audio Speakers for W124

Hello,
I am new to this forum. I bought an 87 300D about 6 months ago.
I am looking to upgrade my audio system and saw this deal on Rainbow Car Audio speakers via Twitter:
http://www.iqcaraudio.com/mercedes/2009HolidaySale

Any feedback on these speakers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Hi,,
How Much Watt's Do these speakers Provide??

I preffer Pioneer Speakers,,,,On this link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Video/Speakers
Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
DON'T BUY THEM!!!!

They are junk compared to real aftermarket speakers..... Mine were blown within 2 months, without playing anything loudly.....

I know the factory speaker holes are strange sizes, but I was able to fit some Pioneer's in the factory locations.... Not sure on sizes, but I can post the specs on friday....
Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
I have heard they are good speakers but from the front I believe you can fit 4" and the rear can fit 5.25" but the actual size for the fronts are some peculiar 4.17" or something like that ( metric! not the crappy imperial system! ) so you will have to do some modification to make them fit but I would not recommend that. Pop open the front grill but getting a flat screwdriver and pry up the strip and then take out the screws then you will see how littler space there is so you will need to get quite a shallow speaker for the fronts and the rears can pretty easily take something a bit bigger but I would recommend the 5.25" speakers and the most important part when it comes to speakers is installation. Wrap a bit of insulation around the edge of the speaker so you won't get any rattles. If you want to go bigger in the fronts or rear just to get a bit more bass then don't waste your time because the additional half inch woofer size won't make a difference. If you want a lower hz, then add some subwoofers after you install the 4" and 5.25" in the rear.

Just some advice from someone who put some oversized speakers in their car. I say you should get just one 12" woofer in the back and that should be perfect. (for me)
Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I have them installed in my W124 wagon. Overall, I'm pleased. You might find some different choices available, but I wanted a "drop in" speaker and they are a significant upgrade to the factory paper speakers.

I can turn up some old school rock (Boston, etc) and while you don't get much bass, it's leaps and bounds better than factory.

If you're in ATL (or near), you're welcome to listen to my setup.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 PM

1994 E500
I upgraded to Jehnerts

I have drop in rainbow 120 sl's with under 20 hours on them if anyone is interested.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:03 AM

w210 E55, w124 wagon
Are these the older version of the IQ 120cx's? How much for the SL's?
Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Pretty sure these sold to a happy buyer pretty quickly.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 AM

1994 E500
Sold but selling my Jehnerts for w/124

I'm selling my Jehnerts. About 3 months of usage, just broken in.

I must be crazy because even without EQ they sound better than many custom multi amped systems and when tuned with a parametric EQ they can deliver startling real sound in a car.

But have decided to spend much more on my speakers, with the new tweeters alone costing more than my entire set of Jehnerts. Probably I will be one of the few to be able to tell the difference.

This is hard for me...to justify because with the Jehnerts with the 12m Scan Speak driver substituted.....well... it is the best thing I have ever heard in any car- beating most $5000+ home systems. The 12M's midranges took FOREVER to break in- I had them on my test bench driving a signal through them for over 800 hours before installing them. The $45,000 Vandersteen model 7 uses the same speaker but with a different cone made of balsa wood and carbon fiber- it is pure pistonic. I am trying to get a set of these midrange drivers... they are $2300 for the pair...wholesale.....uggghh! They use the same motor and spider from the 12M just a different cone... think of it like a car with different rims and tires.

Realistically anyone buying this set should be buying the Jehnerts with my 12M midranges ...I could never go back to the stock midrange (looks like an older MBquart from the 1990's ) . I get ethereal spaciousness and depth of a floating image going well past the confines of the car cabin both in forward depth and width.

I met with Richard Vandersteen last weekend at the Los Angeles Orange County Audio Society final meeting- we gave him the founders award for lifetime speaker achievement (He uses Scan Speak Drivers in his speakers) and talked about the drivers and his experience designing the speaker baskets for them which minimized rear turbulence, along with Kevin Voeks from Revel (Harmon International). This weekend I'm going to the California SQ finals to talk with Andy W. of Harmon International about using a MS-8 to get all the phase relationships perfect...(without time alignment and then noting these phase settings and doing this in the crossover networks) as time delay time alignment is something I believe causes double the number of ill timed reflections and phase issues, as well as a second round of D/A which degrades the sound. The car has been driven less than 300 miles since the speakers were installed as it was apart for tuning.

I paid $1178 for the Jehnerts. Scan Speak 12M's are $312 each so $1802 invested in my front stage. 80 feet of Analysis plus.

If you want the sound I currently have in my car...

We take both our cars to an installer- who removes my Jehnerts and transfers them to your car as well as pulls my $12 per foot analysis plus speaker cable and transfers it to your car, and sound deadens your doors.

I tell you what amps to buy (McIntosh 300wpc mono blocks. or Butler), which DAC to use, and you run this with a Mac Mini running iTunes with Channel d audio ($129)- The Mac Mini is an incredibly power efficient computer and I will set it up to automatically launch iTunes when you turn on the computer. (you may also use a Mac Laptop or Macbook Air (the air is also very power efficient no matter how old).

I'll do 2-3 rounds of tuning of your system to get it perfect. I was a master tuner for high end audio and helped with the Martin Logan Statements prototypes when they were at Goodwin's High End in Waltham, I have tuned the Infinity IRS, and own two sets of the Infinity RS1-b's, as well as the Chapman T-8's, I host SoCals audiophile Headphone meets at my beach home, I will be running speaker shoot outs with the Los Angeles Orange County Audio Society... I know exactly how things should sound to sound real. I am also friends with an Audio engineer who has won several academy awards for mixing and has the highest scoring car for SQ. Oddly..I wish I knew someone who could tune better than me....so I could have sound I never thought possible...

I am in Southern California but can go as far north as Malibu and as far south as Huntington Beach.

This will remove all doubt in purchasing a system.
You will know EXACTLY what you are getting because you will hear my car first. The swap will be quick as the installer will know exactly how to run things- he will have my car as an example and will do both cars. The installer will pull new speaker wire in my car (I likely will dump about $6000 in new cable into my car)

I sell you my Jehnerts, Analysis Plus Wire, 12m's for 15% off but I'm tossing in my time this is a very good deal....because without my tuning.. you'll never get there. The Tweeters from the Jehnerts have never been installed- they were used for testing purposes and were just taped in place.

Further more- if you need an amp rack....I have access to a computer cutting plotter. When I make my amp rack- I can cut you an identical sheet. Our cars will be like relatives..lol.

I might even consider doing this for a bunch of SoCal w/124 owners all at once as I could cut as many sheets as I want the first run. I have a carbon fiber fabricator who can cover them in CF afterwards if that is important to you.

The Amp racks attach to the factory bolts which secure our gas tanks. Those super fat bolts have about 3/4 " - 1" of extra thread on them- The rack is supported and wedged in place and will not move. But should you ever have to remove it...not a single new hole has been drilled into your w/124.... Not for the Jehnerts or the Scan 12M or the amp rack.

Last edited by Golden Ears; 12-07-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:10 AM

1994 E500
Sold the rainbows but selling my Jehnerts for w/124

I'm selling my Jehnerts. About 3 months of usage, just broken in.

I must be crazy because even without EQ they sound better than many custom multi amped systems and when tuned with a parametric EQ they can deliver startling real sound in a car.

But have decided to spend much more on my speakers, with the new tweeters alone costing more than my entire set of Jehnerts. Probably I will be one of the few to be able to tell the difference.

This is hard for me...to justify because with the Jehnerts with the 12m Scan Speak driver substituted.....well... it is the best thing I have ever heard in any car- beating most home systems. The 12M's midranges stook FOREVER to break in- I had them on my test bench driving a signal through them for over 800 hours before installing them.

Realistically anyone buying this set should be buying the Jehnerts with these midranges...I could never go back to the stock midrange (looks like an older MBquart from the 1990's ) . I get ethereal spaciousness and depth of a floating image going well past the confines of the car cabin both in forward depth and width.

I met with Richard Vandersteen last weekend at the Los Angeles Orange County Audio Society final meeting- we gave him the founders award for lifetime speaker achievement (He uses Scan Speak Drivers in his speakers) and talked about the drivers and his experience designing the speaker baskets for them which minimized rear turbulence, along with Kevin Voeks from Revel (Harmon International). This weekend I'm going to the California SQ finals to talk with Andy W. of Harmon International about using a MS-8 to get all the phase relationships perfect...(without time alignment) as time delay time alignment is something I believe causes double the number of ill timed reflections and phase issues, as well as a second round of D/A which degrades the sound. The car has been driven less than 300 miles since the speakers were installed as it was apart for tuning.

I paid $1178 for the Jehnerts. Scan Speak 12M's are $312 each so $1802 invested in my front stage. 80 feet of Analysis plus.

If you want the sound I have in my car...

We take both our cars to an installer- who removes my Jehnerts and transfers them to your car as well as pulls my $12 per foot analysis plus speaker cable and transfers it to your car, and sound deadens your doors.

I tell you what amps to buy (McIntosh or Butler), which DAC to use, and you run this with a Mac Mini running iTunes with Channel d audio ($129)- The Mac Mini is an incredibly power efficient computer and I will set it up to automatically launch iTunes when you turn on the computer. (you may also use a Mac Laptop or Macbook Air (the air is also very power efficient no matter how old).

I'll do 2-3 rounds of tuning of your system to get it perfect.

I am in Southern California but can go as far north as Malibu and as far south as Huntington Beach.

This will remove all doubt in purchasing a system.
You will know EXACTLY what you are getting because you will hear my car first. The swap will be quick as the installer will know exactly how to run things- he will have my car as an example and will do both cars.

I sell you my Jehnerts, Wire, 12m's for 15% off but I'm tossing in my time this is a very good deal.

Further more- if you need an amp rack....I have access to a computer cutting plotter. When I make my amp rack- I can cut you an identical sheet. Our cars will be like relatives..lol.

I might even consider doing this for a bunch of SoCal owners all at once as I could cut as many sheets as I want the first run.

The Amp racks attach to the factory bolts which secure our gas tanks. Those bolts have about 3/4 " of extra thread on them- The rack is supported and wedged in place and will not move. But should you ever have to remove it...not a single new hole has been drilled into your w/124.