E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300E Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I wouldn't encourage him Saijin...For a skilled and experienced driver on a completely open stretch of freeway, it is your choice but be aware you could be committing a felony and facing hefty fines, a loss of your driving PRIVILEGE AND jail time.

He is neither skilled, nor experienced at age 16.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e400
I understand that i am not experience nor skilled, which is why i will only be doing this on quite 2 lane roads during the day with very clear visability. And i will not be averaging 100+ MPH i will simply just hit 110 or so and then slow it back down.

I have yokohama AS430 tires, got my brakes changed about 3k miles ago. Anyways i don't plan on hitting over 100 MPH very often. I will spend a while testing the limits on the car handling wise, etc all before i will ever do much above 85 or 90.

If i planned on hitting over 100 very often then i wouldn't be too worried about 0-60 because the 300E would start fighting back at about 60 or 70.

Could i please just have a list of the TOP 5 best performance upgrades for under $1000 or so per upgrade. I might not even get any of them, i am just curious as to what i can get.
And i don't want the parts for top speed but simply for acceleration times.

As i have mentioned before on this thread my car has been VERY well maintained over the years. In Texas we don't drive on salted roads or anything, sometimes i drive it to the beach, but not actually on the beach. After i drive it around the beach i clean it off pretty soon.
It only has about 105k miles on it right now and at just over 101k miles we had a bunch of things done to it. From what i can tell, the car is in excellent condition except for the 1 dent in the back, and a few scratches on the paint.
The 300E is always kept in the garage unless someone is out driving it, so it has seen minimal sunlight, rain, acid rain, etc.

I was just simply asking for a list of the TOP 5 performance upgrades. I wasn't looking for why i shouldn't go over 100 mph or why i am an inexperienced driver etc.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I know you weren't asking. But the point still stands.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 PM

e400
Believe me, i agree with you completely. I don't think it is smart, safe, nor legal to go over 100 MPH, but sometimes it just kind of happens.
You see a car that wants to race you and then from there it kind of just happens on its own. You don't think about what CAN go wrong or what WILL go wrong. If you know what i am saying?

Can a K&N Air Filter (not whole new intake, just the filter) can make your car sound a little bit louder. True..False? Also would a high performance air filter add even maybe +3 HP or so, or not?
Then what about a chip, will it really give around 5-7 hp? Because a $100 chip that adds 5 HP or so is a good deal IMO.
Will a custom exhaust really add 8-10HP?

Could i just PLEASE have a list of the FEW upgrades i can get that will add HP?

What about getting the mesh layer under the headlights, will that make it perform better? Because that is where out Intakes draw the air in from, so i figured it would be able to breathe better.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Originally Posted by zach1328
Believe me, i agree with you completely. I don't think it is smart, safe, nor legal to go over 100 MPH, but sometimes it just kind of happens.
You see a car that wants to race you and then from there it kind of just happens on its own. You don't think about what CAN go wrong or what WILL go wrong. If you know what i am saying?
No. If you don't think about what can go wrong then you're obviously not taking driving seriously enough and should refrain from driving at all, most especially far above the speed limit. Be aware of what you are doing at all times. And for ****s sake, don't race on the street.

Can a K&N Air Filter (not whole new intake, just the filter) can make your car sound a little bit louder. True..False? Also would a high performance air filter add even maybe +3 HP or so, or not?
Then what about a chip, will it really give around 5-7 hp? Because a $100 chip that adds 5 HP or so is a good deal IMO.
Will a custom exhaust really add 8-10HP?
K&N did not change my exhaust note nor the sound of the engine.
Did not notice any change in power although the car may be breathing easier as I've noticed it has smoothed up a bit at higher RPMs.
Chip is doubtful to work at all. Exhaust may net you 8-10HP but you'd likely have to remove the cats/precats.

Could i just PLEASE have a list of the FEW upgrades i can get that will add HP?
What about getting the mesh layer under the headlights, will that make it perform better? Because that is where out Intakes draw the air in from, so i figured it would be able to breathe better.
Have the mesh layer under my right headlight, will do the left tomorrow. All it has done so far is get more air under the hood. And I do not believe the I6 has the intake ducts around the headlights. You should only have the one boot to the driver's side of the radiator.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM

e400
Hmm, well i might get the mesh anyways. My parents might be buying a new filter, and if they do i will ask that they buy a K&N high performance one.

Also what Rear Differential should i get? Does the later 300E have 2.65 or 3.06 rear diff.?
I am probably either going to get the 3.27 or the 3.69. Right now i honestly can't decide which i want at all. The 3.69 is going to give me wayy faster acceleration times than the 3.27 will, BUT im afraid that it would be bad for the car if i go on trips where i am averaging 60-70 MPH. If running the car at 4k REVS for 1 a whole hour isnt bad for the car, then i definately want the 3.69. But if that is horrible for the car then i will just revert to the 3.27.

Also, just wondering, how much will 3.69 rear differential slow the car down top speed wise. I think the stock 300E is a top speed of 140 or so. So how much will the 3.69 rear diff slow the top speed down? I definately won't ever hit over 115 or 120 i am just curious.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Hmm, well i might get the mesh anyways. My parents might be buying a new filter, and if they do i will ask that they buy a K&N high performance one.
The mesh has to be made custom by someone. The K&N can be had the cheapest (that I have found so far) from here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
That is the seller I purchased mine from. Arrived quickly and was packaged very securely.

Also what Rear Differential should i get? Does the later 300E have 2.65 or 3.06 rear diff.?
I am probably either going to get the 3.27 or the 3.69. Right now i honestly can't decide which i want at all. The 3.69 is going to give me wayy faster acceleration times than the 3.27 will, BUT im afraid that it would be bad for the car if i go on trips where i am averaging 60-70 MPH. If running the car at 4k REVS for 1 a whole hour isnt bad for the car, then i definately want the 3.69. But if that is horrible for the car then i will just revert to the 3.27.
Not sure man. All I know is that at about 80 I tach about 4k. I've gotten up to 29mpg over the course of a trip at this speed. The engine is totally fine with this so long as oil/coolant/etc are all in good shape.

Also, just wondering, how much will 3.69 rear differential slow the car down top speed wise. I think the stock 300E is a top speed of 140 or so. So how much will the 3.69 rear diff slow the top speed down? I definately won't ever hit over 115 or 120 i am just curious.
Not sure. First of all, you'll never reach 140 as the car is limited to 135 (if I remember correctly).
Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
I've taken the car way over 80 MPH before with my parents in the car. I just wanted a list of the TOP 5 parts that i can get for performance.

These cars handle very well, so i would think im in a position to go over 100 MPH when the times are right. Not on an every day bases but every now and again ill push it into the 100s

You're fifteen years old and if you want to drive recklessly then go ahead...
Providing you only kill yourself and the passengers in your car.

If your parents allow you to drive over the speed limit, then it's easy to explain why you are as you are...
Your parents are less responsible then you !!!!

It's the innocent drivers that fools like you usually harm.

Stop encouraging a potential dangerous driver....

Last edited by RBYCC; 04-26-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:19 PM

e400
You guys are all acting as if you have never been over 100 MPH? Maybe you havn't, and if not then you are missing out.

But anyways lets drop this subject about going over 100 mph. The ONLY REASON i want these performance parts is for faster 0-60 times. I don't know if anyone here has realized it, but 8.4s is pretty slow for 0-60.

And my car does 3k revs @ about 70 MPH. I will probably just get a 3.69 ratio if "taching" 4k revs isnt horrible for the car. I will just make sure my car has plenty of coolant, oil, etc before i go on any long highway/freeway trips.
Then i want a custom exhaust system, another perf upgrade or 2. After that ill probably get 17x7 or 17x7.5" rims, and get 1.5" or 2" lowering springs so its slammed on the ground.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
You guys are all acting as if you have never been over 100 MPH? Maybe you havn't, and if not then you are missing out.
Of course I have. Once, it was stupid. I now save it for the dragstrip and the racetrack.

But anyways lets drop this subject about going over 100 mph. The ONLY REASON i want these performance parts is for faster 0-60 times. I don't know if anyone here has realized it, but 8.4s is pretty slow for 0-60.
Yeah, it is pretty slow. However, these cars were designed to drive at higher speeds. German and american/Japanese design and performance philosophies are different.
And my car does 3k revs @ about 70 MPH. I will probably just get a 3.69 ratio if "taching" 4k revs isnt horrible for the car. I will just make sure my car has plenty of coolant, oil, etc before i go on any long highway/freeway trips.
Then i want a custom exhaust system, another perf upgrade or 2. After that ill probably get 17x7 or 17x7.5" rims, and get 1.5" or 2" lowering springs so its slammed on the ground.
Larger diameter rims will decrease 0-60 times. Grats
Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM

e400
Dude..saijin how fast is your car 0-60? I mean what can you do at a drag strip if you're pulling 8.4 0-60 times and 16 second 1/4 miles times?
And yes i know that larger rims will decrease 0-60 times, but if i get really low profile tires the rims and tires will be about the same size at the stock ones. As for being .5" wider, that will slow it down but only by about .05 seconds if that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories

Anyways, what is that turbocharger..i havnt ever heard of it before. And it claims 485 HP which i know is BS. But could a turbo like that even give 50-70 hp? Or will that thing not even fit on the M104 engine.
My guess is that it is a universal part.
It looks like the turbo comes with a decent amout of parts including new gauges and stuff like that. I just don't know if i can trust a turbo like that selling for $1600.

IS that a trusted turbo? Or have you not even ever heard of that.
THANKS
Old 04-26-2010, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Dude..saijin how fast is your car 0-60? I mean what can you do at a drag strip if you're pulling 8.4 0-60 times and 16 second 1/4 miles times?
Just to verify what times I would get. I also drove my dad's 500e twice and got it over 100mph. Also to get the speed bug out of my system. Like I said, track or dragstrip only now. I don't **** about on public roads. The last thing I want to do is kill somebody because I'm being reckless.

And yes i know that larger rims will decrease 0-60 times, but if i get really low profile tires the rims and tires will be about the same size at the stock ones. As for being .5" wider, that will slow it down but only by about .05 seconds if that.
Rotational inertia. Mass. Diameter is not the only factor.

Anyways, what is that turbocharger..i havnt ever heard of it before. And it claims 485 HP which i know is BS. But could a turbo like that even give 50-70 hp? Or will that thing not even fit on the M104 engine.
My guess is that it is a universal part.
It looks like the turbo comes with a decent amout of parts including new gauges and stuff like that. I just don't know if i can trust a turbo like that selling for $1600.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...Q5fAccessories
IS that a trusted turbo? Or have you not even ever heard of that.
THANKS
Well, looks like its a Turbonetics Turbo. They are legit. It also says 450hp @ 28lbs boost. Read the auction PLEASE. It also says that about 8lbs boost will net you 50-100hp. So, go figure on stock internals and fuel system you will probably need to keep it below 6lbs boost for minimum hassle so maybe 30-70hp or so.

I'd honestly look for a more efficient turbo or supercharger and keep the boost low.

Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 04-26-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM

e400
Ok thanks. Well i would like to run 8lbs of boost so what would i be spending to get new internals and fuel system. Yeah i would like more efficient turbos or a supercharger, but the thing is..They are more expensive. Plus i need to consider atleast $1,000 for installation and any new parts i might possibly need.

And how much would 17x7 slow me down 0-60, and what about in the 1/4 mile.
How expensive is it to get the 3.69 rear differential??
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
A long while back when I had my MSII ecu all soldered up I calculated out a flow map for my M103. I suggest you pick up some literature and do the same for your 2.8L then all you will need is the compressor maps for potential turbos and pick the one whos efficiency map is within your calculations. I found that Holsets were big with the E30 crowd and cheap. It turned out that an HX35 would be good for producing boost around 3000RPM running 7psi boost. I thought it would be a great compromise between performance and fuel economy as I could keep the RPMs civil when driving around town without having to dump fuel under 3k RPMs. RBYCC has all the knowledge regarding forced induction on these forums, another member whipplem103 also is a very knowledgable source for a very simple turbo setup using a hobbs switch under boost ect. If you are considering forced induction there are three main things to think about, how to dump extra fuel under boost, how to retard ignition timing under boost to prevent predet, and maintaining a rich AFR...invest in a wideband o2 without a doubt.

PS......Don't be to heavy on the pedal, I learned my lesson right around your age and walked away from a totaled C280, with my life. These sedans tend to feel much more composed at high speeds than they actually are and you forget that you are driving 90+ mph easily in a W124. It's when you need to make a swerve to avoid something in an emergency that you are quickly reminded that you are in a semi-boaty 3500lb vehicle. Be safe above anything else!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 PM

e400
Ok thanks for the information. My friends dad is very good with cars and he said that a Turbo in my car would require a full new exhaust system (if i ran over 5 or 6 lbs of boost).
So i might do as saijin has said and try to find a more efficient turbo or supercharger that i can run at about 6lbs of boost and still get good performance.

Also he said getting the rear differential would be expensive since it is a mercedes and i would have to take it somewhere to get it tuned afterwards etc.
Does anyone have a rough estimate of what the cost of a 3.69 rear differential is in the end? After any possible modifications must be done to it.

If this is all TOO expensive for an efficient turbo or the 3.69 rear differential swap, then i will just revert to custom exhaust, and a new tire/suspension setup.
Maybe get a K&N filter, mesh under the headlights, you know..any small cheap upgrades that will even make the verrrrry slightest differences.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Ok thanks for the information. My friends dad is very good with cars and he said that a Turbo in my car would require a full new exhaust system (if i ran over 5 or 6 lbs of boost).
So i might do as saijin has said and try to find a more efficient turbo or supercharger that i can run at about 6lbs of boost and still get good performance.

Also he said getting the rear differential would be expensive since it is a mercedes and i would have to take it somewhere to get it tuned afterwards etc.
Does anyone have a rough estimate of what the cost of a 3.69 rear differential is in the end? After any possible modifications must be done to it.

If this is all TOO expensive for an efficient turbo or the 3.69 rear differential swap, then i will just revert to custom exhaust, and a new tire/suspension setup.
Maybe get a K&N filter, mesh under the headlights, you know..any small cheap upgrades that will even make the verrrrry slightest differences.

I would shy away from a turbo setup if this is a daily driver. Get some bilstien HD's, springs, K&N and call it a day. Any kind of HP gains on these cars are very expensive and usually labor intensive.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM

e400
Any good ideas on good rims i can buy for under $800? I am looking for either 17x7 or 17x7.5" at the biggest.
What about good lowering springs and custom suspension?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 PM

e400
I just watched a video on the eibach website, and it showed that with the eibach Pro Kit 0-60 was .25 seconds better on a camaro ss!
That would be like the 300E 2.8L going 0-60 in 8.15 rather than 8.4. Can i trust that? Will it make 0-60 that much better?

Last edited by zach1328; 04-27-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 PM

e400
BUMP
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoLkd2HSJw8

A.You don't need mods,you need Meds
B.As evidenced by youtube video you need nothing added to make it faster than your little brain can make you shiete your pants.
C.Why not have your daddy buy you a quicker car?
D. That way we can be at the memorial all the faster

Last edited by ohlord; 04-29-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
The only way a suspension setup is going to improve your ET is if you have traction issues at the line.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
LMAO, I should troll you guys...you take this too serious.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 PM

e400
I don't want my dad to buy me a faster car. I love my W124, its got great performance in the upper range, but 0-20 is slow as fu**. I mean 34 seconds 0-124 mph is pretty fast, but 0-60 in 8.3 or 8.4 isnt too good.

Anyways i am not looking to make my car go any faster than it already does. I want it to accelerate quicker. I don't think there is a car out there that the 300E 2.8l can beat off the line (0-10 mph).
And the reason i want some performance upgrades is because the car CAN be quite fast. Imagine if it did 0-60 in 7.2 seconds, thats not that fast, but that will cut the 0-124 time by 2 seconds or so. And 32 seconds 0-124 is pretty damned quick IMO.

Not that i ever plan on going 124, i am just making a point that it starts moving once you make it past 20 or so.

Obviously you have some performance upgrade rivcal4life. Because if your best 1/4 mile is a 13.805 @ 102.94 then you're doing it faster than the stock 500E.
So what upgrades do you have? Or is it only because you probably ran it straight off the headers at the track?

I'm not looking to have a car that accelerates and moves like a ferrari, lambo, or E55 amg etc. I am just looking to improve upon 0-60 by about .6-.8 seconds.
DONT EVEN TELL ME THATS NOT POSSIBLE!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
LMAO, I should troll you guys...you take this too serious.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
brb....gotta do my homework lol...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 300E Performance