E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Exhaust VS lowering/suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e400
Exhaust VS lowering/suspension

So after christmas i am probably going to get 1 OF THE 2.

Either an aftermarket exhaust system.

Or i will lower the car and get custom suspension.

Right now im pulling for the exhaust system, but which would you guys recomend? The car already handles pretty well stock which is why im thinking custom exhaust.

But at some point im going to need new suspension/springs anyways..So i have no idea what to do..

Im trying to think of the pros and cons of both but i cant really think of many cons for either of the two.
Exhaust PROS:
Little bit better performance
Better sound
Better looking (than the 17 yr old rusted out system that on there now)

Lowering/susp PROS:
Better handling
Slightly better performance
Less wheelspin off the line (wheels only spin off the line when its wet though)
Also better looks

I kind of have my mind set with getting the exhaust, im just seeing if anyone thinks otherwise, and if so, WHY?

Last edited by zach1328; 09-19-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Is your exhaust shot? Get whatever is in more dire/immediate need of being repaired/replaced anyway.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 AM

e400
Well my exhaust system is rusted more so than the susp and springs. But within the next few years im sure it will need new susp/springs anyways.

IDK though, id say they are all in pretty similar conditions, the exhaust may be SLIGHTLY in worse condition but not too much worse.
Within the next 18 months i will get the other thing in which i did not choose to get after christmas. So if i get exhaust for christmas ill get springs/susp within 18 months after, or vice versa.

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on whats the better start.

OH and sorry i didnt elaborate very well...
If i get susp/springs i will get H&R lowering springs and Bilstein sport susp.

And i don't have any ideas on exhaust yet (i should probably start looking around)
Old 09-20-2010, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Premade ready to go aftermarket exhausts are pretty limited. Remus or nothing really. Not that there is anything wrong with that, the Remus kit seems nicely built and the sound clips (with what little real sound they can convey) seem to be quite nice.

You may have to go custom aftermarket, but be careful the shop you choose does a nice job.

I'd say for what you seem to like to do with the car (highway sprints) that the shocks/springs might be a safer place to start.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
go with the suspension, i think it's the best place to start, especially looks wise. let's be honest here, if you really want performance, you would not be driving a 2-decade old iron slab... the way i see it, i want the car to look good, and a little better performance is just a bonus. in that light, an exhaust with the car sitting up high will look ricey...
just my opinion!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM

e400
Originally Posted by ZedStyle
go with the suspension, i think it's the best place to start, especially looks wise. let's be honest here, if you really want performance, you would not be driving a 2-decade old iron slab... the way i see it, i want the car to look good, and a little better performance is just a bonus. in that light, an exhaust with the car sitting up high will look ricey...
just my opinion!
Thanks for the comment, i agree with the fact that it would look ricey if i didn't lower it and i had custom exhaust.
And No i don't drive the car looking for amazing performance, but you do have to admit, it does do what it can..!

Not many 3500 lb 194 hp cars will perform as well as my 300E.

The only thing i have against the susp/lowering springs is..I kind of like the feel of the looser suspension.
But see you also kind of contradicted yourself there..
If its not a performance car in your mind, then why put performance suspension and lowering springs on it?
Why would you sacrafice the smooth comforatable ride just so the car looks better? Somewhere deep down inside you really do believe in the true performance of the 300E, or else you wouldnt have lowered your car and gotten sport suspension.

Sure the 300E doesn't deliver 'Bone Crushing' performace, but it still does perform rather well.
The fact that the 300E can keep up with some of todays "sporty" cars speaks for itself IMHO.

Last edited by zach1328; 09-20-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM

1990 300e24
suspension
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Originally Posted by zach1328
But see you also kind of contradicted yourself there..
If its not a performance car in your mind, then why put performance suspension and lowering springs on it?
Why would you sacrafice the smooth comforatable ride just so the car looks better? Somewhere deep down inside you really do believe in the true performance of the 300E, or else you wouldnt have lowered your car and gotten sport suspension.
mine is actually an E320, so it has a lot of pep for the size of the car, that is true.
but to answer you specifically as to why i personally lowered my car, it was 95% for aesthetics. I think it looks a million times better than it did before, the wheels sit well with it, and as i said before, the better handling is just a bonus. the car still rides great; the suspension is not as soft as it was before, but it is FAR from harsh or uncomfortable, and i prefer it this way. the car feels more connected to the road and overall is a more enjoyable driving experience.
i do believe in the 'true performance' of my car, but it rarely if ever sees speeds above 80-85, and i don't carve up canyons or race people with it. it's my cruiser, and i love the way it looks and still turns heads at 15 years old.
so to my original point, any 'performance' mods you do to this car will only provide very marginal gains. how many HP are you going to gain with an exhaust? how much will it improve your 0-60? not much, i can tell you that. i am all show and no go. it would take thousands of dollars to improve its performance significantly. for now, i am very happy with people not believing me when i tell them how old it really is... and yes, i admit it, embrarrassing unsuspecting ricers at traffic lights once in a while
Old 09-21-2010, 06:11 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Zed, well put. He will grow into that advice, if he keeps the shiny side up long enough.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 PM

e400
Haha thanks for the advice =).
And i'm not looking to buy exhaust for performance, that is just a bonus. I really just wanted it for the sound and looks.

But anyways i thought about it earlier today and im kind of thinking about going with the suspension and lowering springs now.
Your comment actually really helped me with the decision (it answered my next question). I didn't want the suspension to be really tight and uncomfortable.

My friends Mustang GT has REALLY tight susp on it, and the ride comfort is complete crap.
So, now that i know the suspension is not too stiff i will probably go for the susp/springs.
Now my only question is...what is the best setup for suspension and lowering springs.

Im definately going to go with the bilstein sport shocks (is that what you have Zed?), unless i am informed of anything much better.
But as for the lowering springs, what should i go with?

EDIT:
What should i expect to pay in total to get susp/lowering springs?
Also bilstein sport shocks lift the front end like 1/2" so it will look stupid with the front end sitting higher than the back..what would i do to fix that?

Last edited by zach1328; 09-21-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Youngtimer
Im definately going to go with the bilstein sport shocks (is that what you have Zed?), unless i am informed of anything much better.
But as for the lowering springs, what should i go with?

EDIT:
What should i expect to pay in total to get susp/lowering springs?
Also bilstein sport shocks lift the front end like 1/2" so it will look stupid with the front end sitting higher than the back..what would i do to fix that?
personally I went with the bilstein sports as well. they are slightly shorter in length, and better suited to a reduced ride height, though a number of people go with the bilstein HD's. I think the HD's may be a little cheaper, not sure, but I went with the sports as the concept of using them ona lowered car made more sense to me.
For springs, it will depend on what you are going for. I would do a few searches, but this thread would be a good place to start:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ar-thread.html
I have never heard of bilstein sports lifting the front end, and the fact that they are shorter than stock would not make this possible in my mind. These cars have spring pads that come in varying thicknesses that sit between the lowering spring and the spring perch on the body, which would be the best option to try and level any minor imperfections in the ride hight from front to back.
i spent hours searching the boards before i decided on my setup, if you have the time i would highly suggest doing that. if nothing else, you will learn a lot of random stuff, and probably come across some cool pics of people's cars...!
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM

e400
Ok thanks..Most likely im thinking about getting the H&R springs cause i think they lower the car 1.3" front and rear?
But anyways how much will the Bilstein sport shocks lower the car on top of the springs (in total), because i dont want my car to be too low.
A 2" drop would be plenty enough in my mind.

Now my final question..What should i expect to pay for the bilstein sport shocks and lowering springs.
The reason i ask is because im only going to have about $1200 to spend, so if its too much more then i dont even want to spend the time researching it.

The reason i want to lower it is to kind of close up the gap inbetween the top of the tire and the fender. But then again i don't want there to be too little of a gap to the point that my tires rub on the fenders around every corner.

Last edited by zach1328; 09-22-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Conventional struts/shocks neither lower or raise the height of the suspension...

The weight of the car is on the springs, hence the compressed spring height along with any mounting pads/spacers determine the ride height of the suspension.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Zach, is that your car? Looks nicer than I was imagining.

I would LEAVE the $1200 in the bank and enjoy the ride - 1.5" of fender tuck may not be worth your dollars compared to leaving them in the bank for large, occasional but predictable, repairs.

But you should be able to lower her for that $1200, UNLESS, while apart, you notice bushings and assorted items NEAR replacement time, which could place your suspension efforts into the $2k + category.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM

e400
Haha yes that is my car =). I wish i had been able to find some more deep dish rims for a reasonable price, but its whatever.
But thanks for the comment. Hope to get it profesionaly washed and waxed some time soon (there are some imperfections that you cannot see). I know my car isn't as nice as most people's on the forums, but i like it.

Thanks for the advice/comments everyone and for changing my mind into getting a lowering kit and suspension.

I'll do some research on all of it and if i find susp/springs i like then i will probably go out and grab some.
But first i have to call some shops around here that are willing to put on the susp/springs and about how much it will be. For some reason a lot of the shops around my area don't want to mess with the car, even for some of the most simple tasks.

And RHW the nice thing about the car being in my Dads name is he gets to pay for all of the repairs and everything else. So, im not so worried about spending my money and not having any left.

Last edited by zach1328; 09-23-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Either an aftermarket exhaust system.

Or i will lower the car and get custom suspension.
If your roads, carparks and ferries are like here in France/UK, I'd advise not going too low. I fitted a Bilstein B12 kit (matched springs and sport dampers) and I've just had the car RAISED. The kit costs about 700 Euro and you must choose the right kit to match the spec of your car. Even the addition of a radio adds 1 point to the spring calculations.

This was in deference to the exhaust (original MB) that kept grounding and was in danger of being destroyed.

Also, major lowering does not guarantee better handling - the guys at MB designed quite a stable car with the standard setup.

Coolest, in my opinion, is the original Sportline setup, including the tighter steering box. Mine's a Sportline and the Bilstein kit is great, just too low with the spring supports that were originally fitted.

Just my 2 cents (euro) worth.

Bonne chance.

RayH

Last edited by rayhennig; 09-24-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 PM

e400
Originally Posted by rayhennig
If your roads, carparks and ferries are like here in France/UK, I'd advise not going too low. I fitted a Bilstein B12 kit (matched springs and sport dampers) and I've just had the car RAISED. The kit costs about 700 Euro and you must choose the right kit to match the spec of your car. Even the addition of a radio adds 1 point to the spring calculations.

This was in deference to the exhaust (original MB) that kept grounding and was in danger of being destroyed.

Also, major lowering does not guarantee better handling - the guys at MB designed quite a stable car with the standard setup.

Coolest, in my opinion, is the original Sportline setup, including the tighter steering box. Mine's a Sportline and the Bilstein kit is great, just too low with the spring supports that were originally fitted.

Just my 2 cents (euro) worth.

Bonne chance.

RayH
I agree that the car is pretty stable and comfortable with the standard shocks and suspension, but im not talking about lowering the car any ridiculous amounts.
I mean a 1.5" to 2" drop isnt too much IMO. And also the sport shocks will just give that extra handling feel. The steering on my car is great, its responsive, accurate, etc.

I can only imagine how much better the car will handle with some sportier shocks on there. Also when you have the sport suspension and you lower the car, it lets less air under the car. This also increases the handling especially on the highway.
Basically i'll be giving up a little bit of comfort for some extra handling and better looks. That is something i can live with.

But then again i do love my car the way it is..maybe i should keep the $1000, and worry about suspension/springs when im older and have an income.

Last edited by zach1328; 09-24-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 PM

e400
Ok guys i am looking to buy H&R lowering springs and Bilstein Sport shocks soon if it is possible.
So i am just wondering if anyone can give me a list of everything i need to order with the suspension, cause theres all that different stuff on the website and i dont know what i need/don't need.

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/179/212/

Is that about what i should expect to pay for the H&R springs? Can i find them cheaper or anything?

So, it would be great if someone could post all the things i will need for the suspension..

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index..._id=2034&zenid=

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index...s_id=368&zenid=

Are those 2 things all i need to buy?

Last edited by zach1328; 10-02-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 PM

e400
BUMP..

Just curious, how will a 300E 24V run against a 2003 4.6L mustang gt from 85 MPH and on.
Only reason im asking is because..

Mustang GT: 0-60 5.4s 1/4 Mile: 14.1 @ About 100 MPH
300E 24V: 0-60 8.4s? 1/4 Mile: 16.1 @ About 90-92 MPH?

Im pretty sure those statistics are pretty close to correct..So ASSUMING they are...
A 2003 Mustang GT would run about 8.7s from 60 to 100 MPH
(Subtracted the 0-60 time by the 1/4 mile time and MPH)

My 300E 24V runs 7.7s from 60 to 90 MPH'ish, once again assuming my specs were correct on 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
So essentially that would be a pretty close race from 60-100 MPH. And the W124s seem to run the best at 85MPH and on..

So i would have to assume that a 3rd gear pull from about 85-115 would be decently close, but i can not be sure.

JUST CURIOUS
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Almost but not quite ...

Ok guys i am looking to buy H&R lowering springs and Bilstein Sport shocks soon if it is possible.
So i am just wondering if anyone can give me a list of everything i need to order with the suspension, cause theres all that different stuff on the website and i dont know what i need/don't need.

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/179/212/

Is that about what i should expect to pay for the H&R springs? Can i find them cheaper or anything?

So, it would be great if someone could post all the things i will need for the suspension..

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index..._id=2034&zenid=

http://www.bilsteinus.com/cart/index...s_id=368&zenid=

Are those 2 things all i need to buy?
Unless you are very lucky, you will need 2 or 4 spring perches to get your ride height right.

Also, I don't see the dust-excluding bellows in the Bilstein dampers - maybe it's included, maybe not. It was included in my Bilstein B12 spring/damper kit.

You may choose to change the damper mountings if the existing ones are cracked or otherwise worn.

Good luck to you.

RayH
Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 PM

e400
OK...Slight problem, I went to a local car shop today and asked what the install price would be for suspension and a lowering kit.
According to the guy there, installation would be in the $600-$700 range, plus an additional $1,150 for the susp/lowering springs..? (bilstein susp/H&R springs)

Why is it so expensive? I thought it would be like $600 for the suspension and about $250 for the lowering springs. Which would be $850, not $1,150..! Then $600+ for installation?

So anyways, the problem is..I have all of $800 right now, + my dad would chip in $200-$300 as an early christmas present. Basically my question is, will it really be up to $1800 including installation?

Last edited by zach1328; 10-07-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
My $0.02

I paid
$275 - Eibach Springs (@ Tirerack)
$478 - Bilstein Sport shocks (@ BuyMBparts)
$455 - Installation (@ expensive Porsche tuning shop)
$125 - 4-wheel alignment
$1333 - Total

Then more
$225 - K-Mak camber kit (K-Mac Austrailia, they cost more now)
$260 - Installation of kit and different spring pads in rear (@ expensive Porsche tuning shop)
$125 - another 4-wheel alignment
$610 - more

$1943 - Grand total

I did pay a little more at the expensive Porsche shop, but I couldn't find a different local shop that would install non OEM parts. Now my Indy would do the the job, since the dads have moved on and their sons are running the business. I'm sure that would have saved me some money. Also, if you can get the spring pads right on the first try, then of course that will save you money. It was great after it was done, but as other have commented it might be good to save your cash for repairs.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 PM

e400
I won't need the camber kit though right? Or did you have to get it because your tires were rubbing or something like that?

See i went to ALLOUT (Truck place mostly) to ask for the price of all the stuff and the guy said that the bilstein shocks/struts were $850, so idk how he got numbers like that.
And he said installation would be $600-$700, but im going into the local Mercedes/BMW/Porsche shop soon to see if they will install the stuff, and if so how expensive it will be etc.

Also i have to get the rubbing tires sorted out, because lowering the car will only make rubbing worse. So i need to ask questions about rolling the fenders etcccc..
UGHH So much stuff i need to find out and do just to get susp/springs. This isnt how i imagined it before i got my license

My guess is the reason installation is $600+ at ALLOUT is because they specialize in truck susp and all, so an old mercedes isnt commonly in a shop like that.
So i figured the local shop "European Auto Performance" might be able to install it for a more reasonable price, b/c they definately know what they are doing with the car and all that stuff.

Maybe this whole susp/lowering kit thing won't work out, and ill just end up slamming 2 10" or 12" subs in the back and be done with upgrades for a while. If i can get susp/lowering springs and installation for under $1400 then ill go for it, but more than that is just too much for a 16 year old kid with no income.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Zach, This work opens up other cans of worms, and the costs and incremental upgrades can eat you alive.

This is the most educated (IE, time and experienced comments have worn down some of your upgrade ideas, now, reality is setting in) comment you have made:

""Maybe this whole susp/lowering kit thing won't work out, and ill just end up slamming 2 10" or 12" subs in the back and be done with upgrades for a while.""

THIS!

And the subs are portable, so buy em once and have em for a decade, regardless of the car you drive.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:17 PM

e400
Well i was thinking over it all the other day, and im thinking about getting a part time job just after school and on the weekends or something.
The main reason ill probably do this is b/c having a job looks good on college applications, and im going to college soon, so it would be helpful.
Depending on how much i would work and make from the job, i might get susp/lowering springs but no plans for sure.

I know i won't make anymore than like $8-10 an hour from any job, then some of that is taken out for taxes etc. It depends i guess.

The only reason i want to lower the car now is because in 6 years from now when i graduate college (hopefully haha) and my parents give me the car, its going to be a good bit older. So, i dont know how well it will be running and all in 6 years. Maybe it sounds ridiculous, but i will probably own a W124 for most of my life.

Quick Story: =)
Before i had my Learners permit (Can only drive with people 21 and older), i had always wanted a Mazda RX8. But i didnt know if my parents would actually buy me a newer car (RX8) or not (the W124 was already in the family for quite a while).
So anyways i was kind of dissapointed that i was going to end up with a 16 year old(at the time) "piece of junk". I was always begging my Dad to buy me a Mazda RX8 or something similar. My Dad said to wait till i get my actual drivers license and he would see.
A few months later, i got my Learners Permit and mainly drove the W124. After the first week i fell in love with the car, THEN i was kind of undecisive to whether or not i wanted another car or just to keep the W124. Everyday i was changing my mind back and forth. Then, i started doing a little bit of research on the W124's (more specifically the 300E) and started finding out some very interesting facts.
SOOO, i kept driving the W124 for a few more weeks, and decided i would never trade the W124 for any reasonably priced cars ($10,000-$25,000).
Almost a whole year later, I FINALLY got my drivers license and the 300E was officially mine to drive.

NOW DAYS..I WOULD TRADE MY W124 FOR ALMOST ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER CARS OUT THERE! =)

Haha so thats my life story..=)

I still havn't found one specific reason why i love my car so much..But i guess i can fairly say there is just something about it that makes it so much fun to drive. Maybe its that i feel so connected to the car; i know its going to do what i want it to do exactly when i want it to. I just don't get that kind of feeling in many other cars. I know its not going to leave me stranded in the middle of the freeway with cars flying by me.

Last edited by zach1328; 10-11-2010 at 04:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust VS lowering/suspension