E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Oil seal leakage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:56 PM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
Oil seal leakage?

So when im driving home last night I kind of smell some oil buring, so i go home and open the hood

it looks like little splashes of oil are comming from the top of the wire where the spark plug is. i think that this is the seal right? if it is...how much do you think it'll cost to replace? thanksssss.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C-230
oil leak

hi i would check that the oil level is ok and looks normal first then try to clean all of the oil off the motor around the suspected leak,and make sure the oil cap is tight, start the car and take a closer look at where the oil is coming from, my guess is the tappet cover if there is no leak at first maybe drive it around the block and then check again, i don't know what your engine looks like, but i cant think of any seals close to the plugs in any of my cars, but you are driving a benz so who knows? might try to check the pcv valve (it should rattle), the oil filter, the engine drain plug, and around the tappet cover gasket. if oil is bubbleing around the base of a plug it has run down in there and the plug is loose,might want to check that too while you are under the hood. don't go he-man on them just snug them back up. good luck

if it is smoking like a freight train and has been running hot another possibility is a cracked head or blown head gasket
just my .02
Old 09-21-2004, 09:21 PM
X03

MB 1990 300E
thanks for the reply so quick,

it has been leaking some oil underneath the car because its on my garage floor...the oil cap is tight (bought a new one a while ago) and ill have to take it for a spin later on and do what you told me after i finish up some homework. ill let you know what i find.

heres a pic (not recent) but just to give you a little idea of where i'm talking about. its only like little splashes of oil in those areas.

Oil seal leakage?-101-0110_img.jpg

Last edited by X03; 09-21-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:17 PM

98 C-230
oil leak

The top of your motor looks different than i expected, aren't mercedes wonderfull cars. i have never tore into one like that but it looks like there may be a grommet there in the top where the wires come out. i assume the top part of the valve cover will come off, it looks like it is in two peices, top and bottom , since it's blowing oil out of one of those holes there has to be a reason for it. try to find a day where you will have time to work on it, label the parts as they come off, and take the top cover off. remember where your bolts go and you will probably find what's the cause. replace any gaskets or grommets that look crappy or are rock hard, keep everything as clean as you can, your pcv valve may be stuck and causing blow-by, i would check the hose that goes to the pcv valve also. if it looks bad replace it. use your manual for torqe specs. if you don't have one yet you should get one if you plan to do your own work on the car, they are worth the $ and it may have some insight into your problem. if you have one i would give it a read. you may want to call your dealer and price the gaskets, and grommets before you start and while the car is still in one peice. they will be able to tell you what parts you need to fix the problem, and most of the parts guys are really very helpfull in my experince, they do want you to come back and buy another mercedes don't they?, so disscuss what you are looking to fix when you talk to him, he may have seen this before, and if they talk down to you for choosing to fix it yourself, buy parts and cars from another dealer. and i wasn't trying to be a smart @ss with the cap thing, good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 02:25 AM

1989 300CE
XO3:

Your car looks like it has low mileage, probably nice climate and/or garage kept.

I would also check to see if you might be losing oil from the oil cap. The filler cap is plastic, and they crack. Causes about a liter in 1300km or so oil use if you do any highway driving and doesn't always show oil drips, because it only leaks on the highway. Clue is that the depression around the cap will always have oil in it even if you remove the cap and wipe it up. Oil runs down the front of the engine, looks exactly like a top chain cover leak except there is more on the left side (where you cannot see it easily).

New filler cap is a about the same price as a liter of synthethic oil.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:17 AM

1991 300E
X03, I have a '91 300E, If you take off the front distributor cover (the plastic cover at the top of the engine closest to the radiator, you can then remove the long flat cover that hides the plug wires. Take both of these covers off and look to see where the leak is coming from. Shouldn't be too hard, don't think it requires any tools, the covers should pop off. Wipe everything down, crank the engine and look for signs of oil leaking in that area.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

93 320CE, 72 280SE 3.5, 55 220A, 05 E280CDI, 88 Mini Mayfair, 90 Peugeot 205GTI, 04 Mini Cooper
Mines a 4 cyl but check the breather pipe to the air filter near where you have marked at the top..... this can leak ..... check this as I changed mine recently and oil leak gone. There are no holes etc below the plug lead tidy....it is just a plastic sleeve in two parts to keep the leads neat.

I also took the cover off and cleaned out the inside as over time oil can built up and is sucked out via the breather.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:49 PM

90 300e and B5 S4
Looks to me like it is coming from the breather tube. These get hard over time and crack. Dealer should have it in stock its not expensive. Take a close look at it for cracks.

Pull of the distributor cap dust cover (its easy no tools required) and see if there is any oil in that area as well. Is there oil on the fuel injector side?

Did somebody just add oil lately to your car??? Maybe someone spilled some oil and didn't clean it with a rag.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:29 AM
X03

MB 1990 300E
thanks everyone for the replies

since i dont have any school tomorrow i'm probably going to look a little closer with everybodys advice in mind.

my previous oil cap did crack, but we got it replaced like the one you shown a while back, so thats not really the problem.

nobody added any oil to the car because i'm the only real driver and nobody would have added oil without me knowing..

the car actually has like 228k miles...haha my dad is just real **** about keepin it clean, so anyways after i get it checked tomorrow out ill let you guys know what i find.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Almost a Member!

'89 300E
Speaking of oil leaks, mine also needs the breather tube replaced--I've just learned that from reading the posts on this string. I was worried about oil pooiling on my air filter cover where the tube attaches to it.

Question: Is it worth the bother to replace the cam and timing cover gaskets to slow the usual leaks at those sites, or do we just live with them? On my previous car I just lived with the leaks, topping up now and then.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Almost a Member!

'89 300E
X03, I changed the tube between the cam cover and the breather cover today, and my major oil leak at that site is gone, as 23TErry advised. It was over the counter at the dealer. Cost me $22 CDN, so it should be in the teens USD for you. It really cleaned up a mess on top of the breather.