E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

another shock question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
another shock question....

about a month ago i noticed my car making funny noises in the rear when going slowly over speed bumps.......... could this be due to the cold weather (10 degree range???) reproducing the sounds by pushing down on the rear of the car hasnt been to sucessful.... but if i literally stand in the trunk and bounce up and down reproduction is quite easy... (<= my wierd way to DIA the prob).... im assuming its time for new shocks...

the car has the stock suspesion set up (shocks and springs)... with about 78k miles on it......... im debating on Bilstein HD or bilstein comforts......... which one would give me the smoothest ride possible? also, would there anything else i should have changed while this is being done? i havent shopped around yet but... what would the ballpark figure be for parts/installation?

-thanks
carino
Old 02-04-2005, 09:44 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
First off...are you sure that it's the shocks that is causing the problem? I had a similiar problem in the rear but when I went to get it checked out it turned out to be the break shoes. Similar just like you...only heard it when I went over bumps and what not.

So do you plan on lowering it as well. Don't really recommend the Bilstein's HD...Get the Bilstein Sport shocks if anything. I don't know how much parts and installation would be but for me it would cost 600-700.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:58 PM

1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
This is what I would do. If you plan on keeping the suspension stock, get the oem shocks if they need to be repplaced.

If you are going to lower it, H&R Springs with bilstein sports.

I have heard the bilstein comforts are too soft. The HD's I have heard a lot of people like actually. a little stiffer than stock from what I can remember.

THe problem could be a bad bushing somewhere int he rear suspension.

Look at the shocks, if they look kind of wet, they are leaking and should be replaced.

It could be one of the bushings in the multilink suspension.

Ashman
Old 02-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
First off...are you sure that it's the shocks that is causing the problem? I had a similiar problem in the rear but when I went to get it checked out it turned out to be the break shoes. Similar just like you...only heard it when I went over bumps and what not.

So do you plan on lowering it as well. Don't really recommend the Bilstein's HD...Get the Bilstein Sport shocks if anything. I don't know how much parts and installation would be but for me it would cost 600-700.
Originally Posted by ashman
This is what I would do. If you plan on keeping the suspension stock, get the oem shocks if they need to be repplaced.

If you are going to lower it, H&R Springs with bilstein sports.

I have heard the bilstein comforts are too soft. The HD's I have heard a lot of people like actually. a little stiffer than stock from what I can remember.

THe problem could be a bad bushing somewhere int he rear suspension.

Look at the shocks, if they look kind of wet, they are leaking and should be replaced.

It could be one of the bushings in the multilink suspension.

Ashman
hey thanks chris and ashman..
i took the car to the dealer about a month ago and had them look at the breaks.... said they were fine but could use a break fluid flush... so thats what i had done... i havent had the rear suspension looked at... bushings and all.... as far as looking to see if the shocks are wet... i havent looked... ill do so..

as far as lowering the car... im not planning to do that.... all im looking for a smoother ride..... the factory shocks were great... and im sure 10 years ago (hopefully) they were among some the better technology shocks on the market of the time... assumming shock technology has changed... what im looking for is something that is comparable to date.. but newer... (if that makes any sense)

ive read a number of people suggest HD.... so i guess that may be the way to go... is there anything else i should also get changed? if i get the shocks changed... should i look at getting the springs replaced also?

thanks for you guys' info-
carino
Old 02-05-2005, 05:06 PM

1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
unless the springs are sagging don;t need to rpelace them.

I opted for a sportier and lowered car, so I went with the Neuspeed springs (they are simply rebranded H&R's) and I havent done the shocks, but the ride has been still good with the stock shocks.

I'm getting the bilstein sports soon on my car.

Since I put on the AMG hammer wheels, I definately need to stiffen up the ride a little . it will help with the minor rubbing I have, plus I have been meaning to do the sport shocks for a while, just havent gotten around to doing it.

AshMan
Old 02-05-2005, 06:23 PM

1990 300E 2.6
"Sport" shocks are made for the lowered suspension only. Won't give the proper valving on regular height suspension and will be slightly firmer. "Comfort" shocks will give the smoothest ride for the standard suspension. "HD" shocks will be a good bit firmer in ride for the standard height suspension. When testing newly installed "Comfort" shocks, you will notice a slightly more firm ride and a moderate improvement in handling compared with your present, worn, shocks. Just replaced the rear shocks on my 1990 300E with "Comfort" shocks. No more bounce in the rear, especially with weight back there, and my original shocks were not worn out at 93,000 easy, non-daily-driver miles. I compared the new with the old in a subjective compression test and the old were softer, with the right side more so. Each of the original rear shocks had indications of a very slight oil leak when examined closely. Next I will install new "Comfort" front struts, followed by an alignment. To gain a slight improvement in handling for a stock car (reduced lean in the turns), install front and rear sway bars from the "Sport" suspension package, along with new rubber bushings. If you wish to retain mostly standard ride and handling but tweak it a little, do the above followed with better handling tires. One of the best for this sedan without going to the extreme is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H. Check the user reviews at Tire Rack. Check the condition of your rear suspension parts as they dramatically affect handling, especially in a car with over 100,000 miles. Do a search.
OliverB
Old 02-07-2005, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
I have and HIGHLY recommend the Koni red adjustable (dampening, not height) shocks. They work great and the ride is nice and tight.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Jer

1994 E320
I experience the same problem with creaking sounds in my car's rear end. At 247K miles the suspension bushings are probably worn to death. The cold weather causes the bushings to shrink and make this noise when going over bumps and hills. Look into replacing the suspension arms (5 each side). I plan on doing so in the spring.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
if you are gonna stick with stock springs def get the comforts. i just put the comforts in my car and i love them. Im planing on dropping my car 2.5" all around and will still keep the comports, but get bigger bump stops to prevent bouncing on dips
Old 02-08-2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jer
I experience the same problem with creaking sounds in my car's rear end. At 247K miles the suspension bushings are probably worn to death. The cold weather causes the bushings to shrink and make this noise when going over bumps and hills. Look into replacing the suspension arms (5 each side). I plan on doing so in the spring.

it sounds like the same exact problem im having... do you think my bushings are worn at 78k miles? and sorry, what do you mean by 5 each side?

thanks to everyone for your advise.... im probably not going to get this fixed for another month or so.... ill let you guys know what way i go..

thanks again
carino
Old 02-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by AndreNY
if you are gonna stick with stock springs def get the comforts. i just put the comforts in my car and i love them. Im planing on dropping my car 2.5" all around and will still keep the comports, but get bigger bump stops to prevent bouncing on dips
how much did it run you to get the comforts installed?

thanks
carino
Old 02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
Originally Posted by CharlesCarino
how much did it run you to get the comforts installed?

thanks
carino

I installed the shoks myself, it took me an hour, the 4 shocks cost me $450