E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Got a new 1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got a new 1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 !

I jus got my g2 licence, and my b-day passed a few days ago, and got a 1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 as a birthday present from my grandfather. This used to be his car before he bought a new 2006 Mercedes-Benz S600, and he passed it down to me. The car is simply beautiful with every option except HID headlamps. The car is Jet Black/Black leather, and guess what, the back seats were never sat in, and the front ones were hardly even used. The car was hardly driven because my grandfather is always travelling, and doesn't drive that much here in Canada. The car only has 19,000km, yes only 19,000km since brand new, and the car is simply in perfect condtion. I got this car about a week ago, and took it to university with me, man i love this car !, its so powerful, and so tight. I was doing 190km honestly on hwy 401 to London, Ontario, and the car was asking for more. Now lets get down to business. Even though i got every option on this car including headlight washers, and Bose sound system, i really want HID headlamps, and will only settle for OEM, and i was just wondering, how much will they cost me???????
Also, with winter around the cornor, and my very minimal experience in driving in winter which winter tires should i consider for this car. I only want the best for my car, and money isn't a concern for me, as long as i get a quality product. Can you guys please help me???????????????
Old 10-31-2005, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E320 4Matic, '85 380SL
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 -- best performance winter tire according to TireRack

Old 10-31-2005, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 156 Posts
99 E320
Reportedly, the OEM design will run you approx $1500 and isn't as good as
simple retrofit. Why? Because the 1999 HID is dated in design, whereas
much has improved since 1999. Correct me if wrong, but I believe 1999
OEM has fluted exterior lens...a look which some find unacceptable. Their
light output is mediocre, compared to more recent projectors.

IOW, not all HID projectors are equal in light output and beam spread.

If you went with used OEM HIDs, I believe you may be able to find them for
approx $800 US.

Congratulations on the wonderful gift....but wake up, young guys dont use
the rear seats to sit in. j/k
Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 156 Posts
99 E320
came across this when i was looking for other parts....CLINK
Old 10-31-2005, 08:40 PM

2001 E320 Sport
Welcome! and that's a great b'day gift Post up pictures of your new ride.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by lexrex
Dunlop Winter Sport M3 -- best performance winter tire according to TireRack

Hey, thanks for your suggestion. I was also looking into Michelins and Blizzaks. I am a first time driver, so i need the best i can get, esp for this kinda car. Even though this car has 19,846km(last approx reading), it is still a 7 year old car (late 99 model, manufacured 06/99), which will start to need new parts. I was wondering what are the main problem area's, and the life expectancy for this kind of car?????? This car looks and feels, as if i am driving a brand new car. This car was driven regualrly in its life, averaging about 3000km/year reason for that was, as my grandfather was always away this car was only used to go the GO station and back (thats it), and wasn't even touched during winter months, well except for those around the block drives just to keep everything lubricated in the car. This car was also fully serviced by Mercedes-Benz throughout its life. However one thing i find weird is, there is no maintence plan for this car, like BMW. In our household we have a 2003 BMW 530i, and a 2000 BMW 528i (fine cars), they both have a service plan (http://www.gms.cc/maintenance.htm). I was wondering, why Mercedes-Benz doesn't have that? I am going a to Mercedes-Benz dealer tomorrow to get an oil service, and filter change, and also going to get a quote for the OEM HID lights i want, now which lights should i get for this??????? I heard the 1999 version weren't as good, as the newer ones. I want my lights to look like the way our BMW's HID lights look. Personally, i think the BMW 5 series is a far more better car, however this is more comfortable, and the E320 is mine, so meh. A friend of mine told i might have to dish out about $5,000 for lights, ah'well i want them. Hope they don't cost that much, either way im getting them.

I was just wondering, just for the sake of knowing, if i were to sell this car, how much could i get for it. This car has every option availble for 99, except for xenons, which will be solved after i get them installed soon. Lets see how the trip to benz dealer turns out, i will this thread posted.

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz19; 11-01-2005 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:15 PM

Angry Can't Have Hid Lights In My Car !

I went to the dealer today, they checked my whole car out, and told me the car needed Service B, and all fluids replaced, brakes replaced, and an overall inspection of the electrical system,new engine wiring harness, spark plugs, spark plug wires, hoses, and the A/C needs to recharged and filled in with coolent.. For all this service and a total detail of the car, its costing me $4000CDN. I was also quite disappointed at the fact that there is no way i can have xenon headlights in my car, because in order for the car to have xenon headlights it has to be installed in the factory when its brand new because they told me the shoe lighting system has to change in that, changes that are buildin, and its impossible to get xenons at this point. The dealer told me i can get aftermarket "HID Look-a-likes" but i don't wanna do that, either u havem or u don't. They have kept the car for a few days to perform all the service needed, but i was really looking foward to having xenons on this car.

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz19; 11-01-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
2002 CLK430
I thought this car spent most of it's life sitting. Why does it need an engine wiring harness?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:41 PM

I got no clue, i took the car in this morning, and than after school went in the evening, they just told me what needs to be done on the car to be bring upto date.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 E320 4Matic, '85 380SL
It sounds to me like your dealer is just blowing hot air. There is no reason you should need new plugs, plug wires, and wiring harness, or an overall inspection of the electrical system for that matter. Plugs are supposed to be good for 100k miles (160 000 km). If the car runs fine, leave it.

It's not a bad idea to change the engine coolant, hoses and brake fluid since it's been sitting.

Why recharge the A/C at the beginning of winter? (A/C is helpful for your defroster, but not totally necessary.)

Dealer is mistaken about the xenon light retrofit. It is very easy to swap in the xenon lights on the pre-facelift models (96-99). (The 2000 and newer models require removal of the front bumper to install; your does not.) The retrofit would lack the auto-leveling feature and the headlight washer nozzles, but that's okay.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:10 PM

Blake, first off looked those pics of your car. Your car is beautiful,esp with the rims. Yesterday i went to the carwash, the OEM rims are kinda hard to clean, after the wash, the black brake dust was still partially on the holes. Also thanks for your input. Its nice to know that there is still a chance i get these xenon lights i want, but forgive me for being kinda childish but i don't want the xenon installtion resulting in the auto-leveler, and headlamp washers not working. I don't know why mercedes-benz wouldn't make xenons standard on this partcular model, i mean in a bmw it is standard in all there cars except the entry level garbage models they have. I know i maybe xenon crazy but, know a days every luxury car i see, has the lights, and this being the ulitmate luxury car, i want the lights on this model too. Back in 1999 my grandpapa didn't see no need in having them, because he would'nt know the difference, and only a few were coming standard with xenons, so he didn't want to waste money. I sure wish he had chosen the lights. I was just wondering anyways, if i want to sell this car, how much can i possibly get for it?????????

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz19; 11-01-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I think you're being ROBBED by your dealer. At 19K mile, the only thing you need is oil change. Service B is at 100K mile (service A is every 30-35K mile)

All fluid, belt, hose, fuel filter, and spark plug need to be replaced every 100K miles, per manufacture recommendation.

Air filter, transmission oil, and coolant need to be replaced every 30K mile.

There's no wiring harhness in the M112/113 engine, not the one that need to be replaced (I'm not kidding, only the early I6 engine have wiring harhness that need to be replaced) The spark plug wire is good for life, unless you cut them.

A/C ? It's about to go to winter.

You need oil change, and a new dealer. I hope you have not committed to all the service that the scum dealer BS to you.

Whoever told you it's not possible to retro HID headlight is just lying big time to you. For the 99 W210, the job takes about 10 minutes, and yep, you can do it all by yourself. You can go w/ either OEM or aftermarket one, either option would improve lighting output a lot.

If you want mod, the new tail light and wheels should first in line. Here're some pix of my 98

Last edited by zam2000; 11-02-2005 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by zam2000
I think you're being ROBBED by your dealer. At 19K mile, the only thing you need is oil change. Service B is at 100K mile (service A is every 30-35K mile)

All fluid, belt, hose, fuel filter, and spark plug need to be replaced every 100K miles, per manufacture recommendation.

Air filter, transmission oil, and coolant need to be replaced every 30K mile.

There's no wiring harhness in the M112/113 engine, not the one that need to be replaced (I'm not kidding, only the early I6 engine have wiring harhness that need to be replaced) The spark plug wire is good for life, unless you cut them.

A/C ? It's about to go to winter.

You need oil change, and a new dealer. I hope you have not committed to all the service that the scum dealer BS to you.

Whoever told you it's not possible to retro HID headlight is just lying big time to you. For the 99 W210, the job takes about 10 minutes, and yep, you can do it all by yourself. You can go w/ either OEM or aftermarket one, either option would improve lighting output a lot.

If you want mod, the new tail light and wheels should first in line. Here're some pix of my 98

I live in Canada. Its only 19,000km, i believe 19,000miles would be around 30,000km.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:47 AM

gonna pick up my car today !
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 AM

Red face Picked up my car, didn't really see any difference in car !

I picked up the car a couple days ago. I paid about $4000 for everything that the dealer said was needed for the car. Now after driving a couple of days, and don't see much of difference in the ride quailty. Ofcourse the car is running much quiter and smoother but no difference really. Luckly in Toronto it was kinda warm on Saturday, so i turned on the air condtioner, it seems to work like its supposed nice and cold, and the fan is pretty quiet. The car nicely detailed with every spec of the car poilished and spotless, but they charged me $200 for just giving it a nice detail. The brake job, i see no difference because the brakes are as good as when i sent the car in for service, that alone cost be $1850. The car was running kinda rough when i sent it in, but now its like a brand new car. Now the only thing i have to worry about are winter tires, and xenon headlights.

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz19; 11-07-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Damn $4000 for thet i could get me a 12 sec Honda Civic,