E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

$10 modification, you all can do it~~~~~~~~~~~

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
Angry

Its been almost 2 months (45 days) since I replaced mine to LED's and I today I noticed that one of them is flickering, but no "Defective Lamp" messages yet, I'll probably check them out on the weekend..
Old 07-26-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by V8 AMG
Everything makes sense except the part about each LED bulb producing 0.525 W.
As per equation Power= Voltage X Current
Therefore if each LED draws 20mA (or 0.02A) then shouldn't the Power used by each LED bulb = 12 X 0.02; which equals 0.24W.
And since there are 5 LEDs then total power consumption = 5 X 0.24; which equals 1.2W.
We are selecting current limiting resistor for the bulb.
So we need to know Forward Voltage and Forward current.

Resistor limit = ( supply voltage - forward voltage )/Forward current
RL = (VS - VF) IF

R= (12-1.5)*0.02 = .21W
(sorry, should be been 0.21Watt!!!)

then 0.21WX5=1.05W
If this calculation is correct, then with the 50 ohm resistor in place, total power consumption = 1.2 + 2.88 ; which equals 4.08W. With the 100ohm resistor, total power consumption would be 2.64W (1.2 + 1.44).

The other concern i have when consulting some of the sale guys at Radioshack type shops, is that they told me from their experience that resistors are traditionally used to lower voltages. So if this is the case, wont these fluctuation in voltages cause the LEDs to have a premature shortened life ?
you are connected in "parallel manner", NOT serial. So your bulb still receiving full 12V.

Look at your PC for example...those LED on your power button is the same LED that use on Auto bulb. (just different color)
Why LED on your PC last forever, yet your auto LED bulb died so easily?

LED's premature short life in auto application is generally caused by the bad design/ bad quality/ high heat(from enviroment) / and poor build in resistor.

Last edited by no_clue; 07-26-2006 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Avantgarde
thanks for clarifying that up No Clue. I am planning on going to an auto electrician to have my wires tapped with female connectors attached. To that i am planning on getting 2 male connectors; one at each end of the 100ohm (5W) resistor that i have picked up today; so that if i ever go back to halogen bulbs, i can easily unhook the resistor.
You don't think that the 5W 100ohm resistor will cause any problems do you No Clue ?
As for the festoon bulbs, the seller where you bought your 6 LED festoon bulb from, seems to only carry the blue or extra blue LED bulbs in the 39mm length size. Which one did you get for your car, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:09 PM

You don't think that the 5W 100ohm resistor will cause any problems do you No Clue ?
Think of the 100ohm resistor as a little light bulb that it consume 1.44Watt. (Just to make your car think the bulb is working) And we discuss before, it generate around 65F degree. (don't worry, it is just warm to touch, all the Plastic PVC can withstand up to 300F)

As for the festoon bulbs, the seller where you bought your 6 LED festoon bulb from, seems to only carry the blue or extra blue LED bulbs in the 39mm length size. Which one did you get for your car, if you don't mind me asking.
I am no associate w/ any particular LED seller.
I seems to have good luck w/ the LED (6-led white) that I purchased. On the other hand, some members has bad experience.

Just like to clear out something....
RESISTOR will NOT damage your car.
Regardless what Resistor you hook up (under parallel manner), your LED bulb still getting uninterrupted voltage directly from your car.

There are several possible causes for your LED to fail.
1. Too Hot
2. Voltage regulator in your car is not stable. ( remember, single LED operate at 1.4~3V depending design and CMD) Frauctuation of voltage will kill any LED or light bulb much easily.
3. Bad manufacture of your LED
4. Bad design of your LED
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
I changed all the bulbs out in my car finally - so now they're all LED's!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Focus ST
just bought everything i need. waiting for shipment
Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
I changed all the bulbs out in my car finally - so now they're all LED's!!!
White washed!!!!

Personally I prefer a warmer light on the ceiling, so just used hyper white festoons..whiter, yet a warmer tone than LEDs.

OT: Chris, my friend with the W124 got so frustrated with the rubbing he'd changed the rims to proper AMG style II's and successfully lowered his ride on H&Rs and bilsteins..now it looks, rides and handles really nicely. Thanks again for your help
Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 AM

2008 C300 Avantgarde
Hi No Clue,

With respect to the resistor, what i meant to ask you was "do you see any problems" running a 5W 100ohm resistor as opposed to the 10W 100 ohm resistor you bought. Does the 5 or 10W on the resistor indicate the maximum power load that the resistor can handle ?

On a side note, i brought my car to an autoelectrician to have the wires tapped into and the resistor placed as per circuit of festoon LED bulb for licence plate and am happy to report that it was successful ! I used a 5W 47ohm resistor for each side if anyone plans on asking.
Now i have LED front park lights matching the "white light" from the Benz factory Xenons. I am now hunting for a "white light" set of halogen H1s for the fog light to complete the look.

The LED bulbs for licence plate have been ordered. It hopefully will arrive by end of the week.

Thanks for this useful mod tip No Clue.

Originally Posted by no_clue
Think of the 100ohm resistor as a little light bulb that it consume 1.44Watt. (Just to make your car think the bulb is working) And we discuss before, it generate around 65F degree. (don't worry, it is just warm to touch, all the Plastic PVC can withstand up to 300F)

I am no associate w/ any particular LED seller.
I seems to have good luck w/ the LED (6-led white) that I purchased. On the other hand, some members has bad experience.

Just like to clear out something....
RESISTOR will NOT damage your car.
Regardless what Resistor you hook up (under parallel manner), your LED bulb still getting uninterrupted voltage directly from your car.

There are several possible causes for your LED to fail.
1. Too Hot
2. Voltage regulator in your car is not stable. ( remember, single LED operate at 1.4~3V depending design and CMD) Frauctuation of voltage will kill any LED or light bulb much easily.
3. Bad manufacture of your LED
4. Bad design of your LED
Old 07-31-2006, 10:21 AM

Hi No Clue,

With respect to the resistor, what i meant to ask you was "do you see any problems" running a 5W 100ohm resistor as opposed to the 10W 100 ohm resistor you bought. Does the 5 or 10W on the resistor indicate the maximum power load that the resistor can handle ?
100 ohm 10W means, the total max output of "target" object.

Congrats on your mod~~~~~~~~
Make sure to share some nice pic (block out your license plate before take picture)

P.S. PIAA Japan currently has LED 9005/ 9006 headlight bulb...I hope soon then will develop H1 model. (then...it will be bye bye Xeon............)

Last edited by no_clue; 07-31-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
Thanks No Clue, I was in the process of doing this mod, my LED came today, so I came on to the boards to see how to get to the License Plate light, and i found this tread...it was perfect, found out how to get to the light and about the Resistor, now all my lights are hooked up, i also did the interior lights and door lights and truck.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:27 AM

2000 S-Class
Originally Posted by Oxygen
Hey guys, great thread.

I just did this mod on my MY2003 S500... looks fantastic. I could not use those big resistors that you guys used because they would not fit in the bay.

I also needed a resistor on each bulb otherwise they would not fire up.

Hey Oxygen can you PM me the breakdown on what type of resistor you used and LED. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
here is mine!...the rest are in this link

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/157819-l-e-d-conversion.html

nm it wont let me post cuz i already posted in the link above
Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
wtf one of my festoons went out. Started to flicker. I emailed the seller and he sent me another one pronto.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by CurYousGee
here is mine!...the rest are in this link

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=157819

nm it wont let me post cuz i already posted in the link above
Wow, I like what I see of your car already, any more pics? What wheels do you have on the carlssonized clk?
Old 08-05-2006, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by The Godfather
wtf one of my festoons went out. Started to flicker. I emailed the seller and he sent me another one pronto.
If it does it again, suggest finding another source. Its likely the quality/design of the ones you have are crap..happened to me before until I changed to another kind - haven't been out for the past few months.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
I have the Lexion 203 which are very similar to the carlsson 2/5 but the blades are skinnier, which i like better, i should have gotten the diamond cut finish, but its in silver that matches the car, here are more links:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=1219&page=28

carbon fiber rear diffuser

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/157077-need-help-carlsson-rs-rear-diffuser.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/155516-comments-europassion-rs-replica-kit-vs-evosport-rs-replica-kit.html

some older pics, with amg bumper and old rs replica kit

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/132646-pics-up-finally.html

Originally Posted by Whitey
Wow, I like what I see of your car already, any more pics? What wheels do you have on the carlssonized clk?
Old 08-05-2006, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Nice! My favorite kit for the W208

I think blackening the centers of those wheels and a roof spoiler might "toughen" her up quite a bit, but that's just MHO..
Old 08-05-2006, 04:52 PM

04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
hey guys im dying for some help in my ML i got an anwser but im wondering if there is more to it. my LED bulbs i got i put into the car as brake lights but the are very dim compared to the regular bulbs.. any ideas on what to do guys? i got a few resistors different kinds.. just in case i may need them but im a little confused on how to hook them up
Old 08-06-2006, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
Thanks Whitey, its because of the carlsson kit that i got my CLK, back in school when my freind got his, i always liked it, but when i saw the carlsson clk, i then wanted to by it, it may be fate but back during my residency at the hospital, in my office computer, my wallpaper was a carlsson clk, 1 year later i went to irvine to by the kit, and it was the exact same kit that was on my wallpaper on my computer 1 years ago. What a huge coincidence.

as for toughening her up, a few pple in the w208 have those mods your talking about, so i will keep searching to do somthing different.

Originally Posted by Whitey
Nice! My favorite kit for the W208

I think blackening the centers of those wheels and a roof spoiler might "toughen" her up quite a bit, but that's just MHO..
Old 08-06-2006, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
for the brake lights you mite need the 24-LED for the regular brake lights for it to light up bright and to the sides so that it can reflect, as far as the 3rd brake light, you might need the 5-LED wedge type if those are the ones that go in there, im not sure.

Originally Posted by Riffyb
hey guys im dying for some help in my ML i got an anwser but im wondering if there is more to it. my LED bulbs i got i put into the car as brake lights but the are very dim compared to the regular bulbs.. any ideas on what to do guys? i got a few resistors different kinds.. just in case i may need them but im a little confused on how to hook them up
Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
I just ordered the LED's and will be trying this on my 2006 ML.

For those people with problems with their LED's prematurely dying, if you buy them from the USHomeDirect seller, they have a very lenient return policy amd 100% feedback. They also give a link to the Sylvania site that will tell you which size lights you need for various applications. For example, it said I need 6418 for my license plate. This seller gives you the equivalents that it can be used for.

I tried a while ago a replacement of the city lights on my 2004 E with no success, but I did not use a resistor at that time.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 AM

2008 C300 Avantgarde
Okay, the rear LEDs finally arrived today, and i have just installed them. Here's a few pics of rears and of the LED park lights at front to match with my factory Xenons.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
at the old shop i would see a few people come in with the e210 with burned clusters from something like a light bulb being out...they didn;t change it and left it and it cause the cluster to go bad eventuly

the bad clusters have nothing to do w/ bad bulbs..... MB has always had bad clusters......... mostly in the w220s
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 PM

Is it blue bulb consider legal in Australia? You don't want cop pull you over for that,eh?

I know for sure, that no other color besides White/yellow can be use in D.C. / VA/ MD area. (I remembered I tried to be creative w/ my friend's Mazda w/ blue bulb, but inspection station will not pass him until he replace them w/ non-color bulb)
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM

2008 C300 Avantgarde
Hi,

I was hoping to find the white LEDs but couldn't see any from that ebay seller and blue was the next closest so i got that. The one you bought from that ebay seller, was it available in white ?

I hope that these blue ones are not illegal as i will have to change bulbs again !

Thanks.

Originally Posted by no_clue
Is it blue bulb consider legal in Australia? You don't want cop pull you over for that,eh?

I know for sure, that no other color besides White/yellow can be use in D.C. / VA/ MD area. (I remembered I tried to be creative w/ my friend's Mazda w/ blue bulb, but inspection station will not pass him until he replace them w/ non-color bulb)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $10 modification, you all can do it~~~~~~~~~~~