E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Depo HID retrofit (RS6)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 E430 Sport
Depo HID retrofit (RS6)

I'm retro'ing RS6 bi-xenon projectors into a set of '00-'02 Depo headlights and I have a couple of questions hopefully some of you all that have done this can answer.
  1. Is this the best light I can hope for? (see pic 1 below) It seems the beam width is constricted by the sides of the Depo housing. The projector is about 10 ft from the wall.

2. Has anyone trimmed down the 4 mounts inside the housing to get the projector further inside? It's tough to notice in the pic below but the ballast connection is protruding out about a half inch --- gonna be tough to get the back cover back on, eh? (this set didn't even come with the large back cover or any of the bulbs ... not that I would've used them but it would've been nice to see the stock H7 lighting to compare.

Thanks for any input

Old 06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
Zam probably has, as he seems to have, at one time or other...or all at once,
a dozen pairs of Depos plus a pair of every HID projector made.

I've shaved off the post a little, not a whole lot, as the solenoid on the E55
proj was sticking out and needed more clearance. Coincidentally, I also have
a Depo/RS6 project about to start in a week or so. So help the brutha out
and take lots of pics and notes, okay? There's a WA state Lotto ticket in it
for you.

I see that you Depo unit is slightly diff than the one's I've worked with (pre
face lift E320). INstead of individual hatches for low and high beam, there
was a single, long unit which was secured via wire bracket. I like modding
that design much more as it provided more room behind the projector/reflec-
tor.

p.s. which vendor did you buy the Depo from..and the cost? tnx!

Last edited by raymond g-; 06-26-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:20 AM

'01 E430 Sport
Thanks Ray

Yeah the 2 separate round openings make it a little tight to work so you'll definitely have an easier time of it. I've taken a ton of pics and I've learned quite a bit along the way so I'll definitely share the knowledge I've gained. I basically made a paper template (RS6 overlayed on top of Depo) and bought a piece of sheet metal from Home Depot (20 gauge) and used some tin snips to homebrew a bracket. Here's a teaser

Most of that metal gets snipped away and into 3 separate pieces as you need 2 channels for the bix shield to fit into. You could probably accomplish the same thing by cutting off the bracket from the Depo bowl as mentioned in another thread here.

Originally Posted by raymond g-
p.s. which vendor did you buy the Depo from..and the cost? tnx!
Ebay vendor "vertexracing" based in Industrial City, CA. $315 shipped .. not too shabby.

Anyway, I have some X5 projectors on the way that have clear lens... I'm gonna try those and configure here and there and see what I can come up with.

If anyone has any tips/tricks related to this project feel free to chime in, it'd be much appreciated. Likewise feel free to PM me or ask here and hopefully I can help some bruthas out.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Banned

your sister.
I see a persian rug.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:52 PM

2000 E430 Sport
I just cut the bracket off of the Depot one. Hooked it up to the RS6 Bix and there you have it.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:44 PM

'01 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by mike430sport
I just cut the bracket off of the Depot one. Hooked it up to the RS6 Bix and there you have it.
Mike, did you have any problem with projector length and space in the back, i.e., getting the rear cap back on?

If you bought the newer '00-'02 Depos like I have (and assuming they're both the same) I don't understand how you crammed those RS6 bix in there with room to spare.

How happy are you with the light output, cutoff, color, etc?

Thanks and very sharp car you have there
Old 06-28-2006, 10:33 AM

2000 E430 Sport
Bix lights

Yes I did. What I did is cut a hole on the cover so the plug could fit. Then I had a bright idea. My wife has a 330i and I was looking at her lights. On the 330i w/Xenon lights there is a rubber cover in the shape of a cup. I took one off and streched it over the Depot cover. The cover with the hole. It fit perfect. So I went to BMW and ordered a pair for $20. I haven't had anyproblems with moisture. There is your answer.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 AM

2000 E430 Sport
I use 8000k and it looks great. look at this page
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=led+lights

Look at the member MTECHNIK, he showed me how to do it. I did the same as him with the led lights. Follow this and your lights will look good.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
I would go with 4300K since it's be best light output... unless you making car for shows...
Old 06-28-2006, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by raymond g-
Zam probably has, as he seems to have, at one time or other...or all at once, a dozen pairs of Depos plus a pair of every HID projector made.
After couple incident, where FedEx ruin the light during shipping (sometime pretty bad), even though I always mark it as Fragile prior to shipping, I decide to exit the light retro for good, well, except for myself . Fixing the mess is never an easy thing to do (both time & money)

When you buy the light new, there's a lock that mount onto the back of the light (the two metal piece that you have to remove prior to using it). That prevent the internal of the light from movement during shipping. Once you retro a projector & bulb into the Depo, you can't put the lock back for shipping. W/o the lock, it's quite easy for the internal to broke off & crack during shipping.

And I hardly have any freetime now

I still have some part left (RS6 and E55 projector, along w/ quite a few ballast & 4300K), will dig them out and sell them here.

For those who want to retro the HID projector into Depo light: it worths every bit of your efforts, as long as you use OEM component (projector, ballast), and always use 4300K bulb. For every 1000 Kelvin over, you loose 15-20% light (or more) compared to previous level. Don't have to take my words for it, you can see it in Philips website (i.e 4300K is 3000-3200 lumnen, 6000K is 2200-2400 lumnen, 8000K is only 1600-1800 lumnen).

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

Last edited by zam2000; 06-28-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:21 AM

'01 E430 Sport
Thanks a bunch Zam

I'm curious what you use to enclose the space between the bulb and lens on the bi-xenon projectors. I've used aluminum tape while testing but I'm not too confident that it will hold up under long term high heat conditions.

Also, how durable are the clear Depo plastic headlight lens? Obviously I'm guessing not very ... I recall reading that you applied a protective film over the lights from excel (?).

Has anyone had pitting problems on their unprotected clear Depo lens?

I'm making slow but steady progress on this project. Things are starting to come together nicely.

Attached Thumbnails Depo HID retrofit (RS6)-retro.jpg  

Last edited by Blackbeard; 07-01-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:34 PM

W210, W220, W203
Originally Posted by zam2000
After couple incident, where FedEx ruin the light during shipping (sometime pretty bad), even though I always mark it as Fragile prior to shipping, I decide to exit the light retro for good, well, except for myself . Fixing the mess is never an easy thing to do (both time & money)

When you buy the light new, there's a lock that mount onto the back of the light (the two metal piece that you have to remove prior to using it). That prevent the internal of the light from movement during shipping. Once you retro a projector & bulb into the Depo, you can't put the lock back for shipping. W/o the lock, it's quite easy for the internal to broke off & crack during shipping.

And I hardly have any freetime now

I still have some part left (RS6 and E55 projector, along w/ quite a few ballast & 4300K), will dig them out and sell them here.

For those who want to retro the HID projector into Depo light: it worths every bit of your efforts, as long as you use OEM component (projector, ballast), and always use 4300K bulb. For every 1000 Kelvin over, you loose 15-20% light (or more) compared to previous level. Don't have to take my words for it, you can see it in Philips website (i.e 4300K is 3000-3200 lumnen, 6000K is 2200-2400 lumnen, 8000K is only 1600-1800 lumnen).

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm
No way!! I guess i was lucky! It went all the way to Singapore and i love them. If only i have a bi-xenon!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
Thanks a bunch Zam

I'm curious what you use to enclose the space between the bulb and lens on the bi-xenon projectors. I've used aluminum tape while testing but I'm not too confident that it will hold up under long term high heat conditions.

You're not supposed to close them. The Hella projector is designed to have that space open.

Once you put in the bulb & ballast, the back cover won't fit. You will have to cut it open, then buy a small pot from HomeDepo and slap it in. Fit very nicely.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys, what if I have the OEM Xenon headlights, what can be done with those? should I just sell not even bother trying to retrofit and sell those on ebay for $$$ and just run the Depo headlights with xenon bulbs?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
Zam probably has handled this first hand but I have not...but have seen them
on the car. I believe these are D2R reflector HIDs and thus, do not lend
themselves to easy retrofit of a projector.