E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

buying advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mitshubishi magna 2003
buying advice

heya guys

this may seem a bit silly, but i have been browsing the forum, in hope that i can find out "what to look for" when getting an e320.

i have test driven few of e320's, and i just love them, and, to say the least, i want one.

im lookin at w210 e320, and im in Australia, and i would just like to ask if they have any common problems, what to look for (appart from service thingies in MB service centers) and similar...

ppl here are rather limited here when asked about benz's so this is the next best thing i can do

foward thanx guys
Old 11-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Hey milivoj hope i can assist you in helping find an E320 for you.

Rust is a Major problem with These Cars so make sure u check it over throughly, places to check are rear number plate, at the bottoms of doors and the front guards, also door window seals and suspension mounting points

Another thing is Head Gasket Failure this problem is incredibly expensive to fix, Signs of this occuring are oil leaking from the front and rear of the cylinder head where it meets the block. Check also for mysterious coolant loss, sometimes accompanied by rough running and overheating, clouds of white steam coming from the exhaust, oil in the water, water in the oil, and/or white goo under the oil filler cap.

Basically stay away from high mileage examples unless it has just had a head gasket fixed.

Also if you do end up owning one, don't drive in deep puddles this can destroy your entire engine this is because the engine air intake duct is located at the bottom of the bumper.

STAY CLEAR OF 4 CYLINDER ENGINES
I cant stress this enough i know your in the shop for a 320 but the prices of the 4 cylinder w210 may catch your eye as they are much cheaper, Four-Cylinder head bolts stretch on later 200 engines, requiring expensive head removal

Brakes assist system on early versions can cause untold grief.

At the Moment thats all i can think of, if i remember anymore ill let you know

Good luck with the hunt for the 320 i hope all goes well and you get a top condition example

Last edited by Geh; 11-03-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Intake tube under bumper? Mine goes into the grill. If they are taken care of they are great cars. I have a 2000 E320 with 94,000 miles and have never had one problem.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:08 PM

W210 E320
Originally Posted by Geh
Hey milivoj hope i can assist you in helping find an E320 for you.

Rust is a Major problem with These Cars so make sure u check it over throughly, places to check are rear number plate, at the bottoms of doors and the front guards, also door window seals and suspension mounting points

Another thing is Head Gasket Failure this problem is incredibly expensive to fix, Signs of this occuring are oil leaking from the front and rear of the cylinder head where it meets the block. Check also for mysterious coolant loss, sometimes accompanied by rough running and overheating, clouds of white steam coming from the exhaust, oil in the water, water in the oil, and/or white goo under the oil filler cap.

Basically stay away from high mileage examples unless it has just had a head gasket fixed.

Also if you do end up owning one, don't drive in deep puddles this can destroy your entire engine this is because the engine air intake duct is located at the bottom of the bumper.

STAY CLEAR OF 4 CYLINDER ENGINES
I cant stress this enough i know your in the shop for a 320 but the prices of the 4 cylinder w211 may catch your eye as they are much cheaper, Four-Cylinder head bolts stretch on later 200 engines, requiring expensive head removal

Brakes assist system on early versions can cause untold grief.

At the Moment thats all i can think of, if i remember anymore ill let you know

Good luck with the hunt for the 320 i hope all goes well and you get a top condition example

didn't know you could dig up too many issues on a W210

as far as rust goes it's kinda hard to find rust spots on a W210 but i hear tht there are rust issues and I have yet to experience any

the head gasket issues were resolved in 1997 but from what I heard are predominant on W124s with the M104 engines

and the intake duct on the engine is NOT in the underside.

And how can a 4-banger w211 be CHEAPER than a 6-cylinder W210???

other than that good luck finding a clean w210 E320. They are amazing cars but can sometimes show their age
Old 11-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Originally Posted by ReZzZ320
and the intake duct on the engine is NOT in the underside.

And how can a 4-banger w211 be CHEAPER than a 6-cylinder W210???
And i don't know i don't own a W210 but thats what i was told by a pre-owned sales assistant in Melbourne

Sorry typo that was ment to be W210

Last edited by Geh; 11-03-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:53 AM

mitshubishi magna 2003
guys thanx heaps...

this is rather silly and random quiestion, but how are they for parts availability, i use to own calibra (import holden/opel) i love german cars, but god damn it was expensive (eg: headlight from holden 1100 for 92 calibra, had to wait for 6 weeks to get parts from germany etc...) so im well aware of hardship of owning european car..

other question would be is there any price or km orientation mark that i should look at...as for timing belt changes and so on...

it may seem like silly things to you, but to tell ya the truth...even though i love mercs...i consider myself less than novice when it comes to them..

thanx heaps guys
Old 11-04-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Education

Models,issues,engines etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W210
Inspect spring perches.If you buy,change trans fluid and filter.Parts from autohausaz.com germanstar.net shipping cost I won't venture
timing chain not belt so if the car was maintained with proper oil change intervals the t chain will last long long time.
Just looking at some of the prices down there,WOW!

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars-fo...71&sf=priceasc
best to buy private party,and have it inspected by a pro.
buy the best low mile example ,service it properly and it will serve you long into the future.
ohlord
Old 11-05-2007, 02:07 AM

mitshubishi magna 2003
gonna go for testdrive over the weekend, found e320 for 25000 but it must be 1998 or something...guy i spoke to, didnt even know he had the car (dealer) done 88.000 km...ill keep u posted...

u guys are champs