E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

How to use EC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S212 2014 220 CDI
How to use EC?

My manual are in german, so ill have to ask some stupid questions.
How and when do i use the EC?

With the EC turned of the air blows much cooler than EC on, why, and what do you actually use EC for, if you could just raise the temp on the know instead?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes E320 Wagon & 1927 Bugatti Kit Car
EC stands for economy and the A/C is not on in this mode, only the fan is on and this is basically when you are want heat or just air.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
the climate control

is a mixed system.a/c combined with heat. when the ec is on light on the ac is off and you only mix ambient air.When the ec light is off your ac compressor is free to click on anytime to adjust the temp.If conditions warrant it and the outside air is about perfect for your liking you put the ec on light on and pick up some fuel economy by not having the compressor engaged, sort of like saying you prefer fresh air.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Originally Posted by ohlord
when the ec is on light on the ac is off
EC light is ON eq AC OFF = Attempts to maintain temp setting using heat and outside air only.

EC light off = Maintains temp setting as required using AC, Heat or outside air only.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:40 AM

S212 2014 220 CDI
So, EC is mostly for saving some fuel then?
Anybody know how much fuel you can save by using EC?

I thought EC stands for Electronic Climate control?
If i understand it correctly, EC only gives you the ambient temp disregarding what you set the temp knob to then, winter=cold air, summer=warm air, or?

When EC is of, does the air always cycle, or doesnt it as long as you havent engaged the cycle button?
Normally youll have to recycle the air to get the AC to work, but maybe not on this system since the button dont lit, if not recycled on AC, i get fresh air anyway then?

A bit confusing and hard to understand this feature
Old 06-19-2009, 05:11 AM

E350
Originally Posted by daytonabeach
So, EC is mostly for saving some fuel then?
Anybody know how much fuel you can save by using EC?

I thought EC stands for Electronic Climate control?
If i understand it correctly, EC only gives you the ambient temp disregarding what you set the temp knob to then, winter=cold air, summer=warm air, or?

When EC is of, does the air always cycle, or doesnt it as long as you havent engaged the cycle button?
Normally youll have to recycle the air to get the AC to work, but maybe not on this system since the button dont lit, if not recycled on AC, i get fresh air anyway then?

A bit confusing and hard to understand this feature

Just think of it this way:

EC on = AC off (but fan still on)
EC off = AC on (with fan on)

The EC button just controls the compressor (which tries to make the cabin temperature go towards the temperature you set it at)... nothing to do with the fan, nothing to do with recycling the air, nothing to do with anything else. Just "compressor on", "compressor off".

Regardless if the EC button is on or off, the cabin air will still be recirculated IF the recirculation button is ON. Regardless if the EC button is on or off, fresh air will still come into the cabin IF the recirculation button is OFF. Regardless if the EC button is on or off, the fan in the climate control system is still ON.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 PM

S212 2014 220 CDI
I see, so if i save fex only 2% gas by turning on the EC i couldt might as well use the AC since that makes it easier to adjust the temp?

I mean, now these days when AC is needed, the EC wont blow cold enough air, but when AC is on i can get everything from ice cold to hot and warm air instead of fidling on and of with the EC button all the time?

So appart from the fuel saving (whatever that might save you) the EC is kind of an unneccessary feature in the car?

I understand how it works now, but i really dont understand the point of having both instead of only AC
Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM

E350
I see, so if i save fex only 2% gas by turning on the EC i couldt might as well use the AC since that makes it easier to adjust the temp?

I mean, now these days when AC is needed, the EC wont blow cold enough air, but when AC is on i can get everything from ice cold to hot and warm air instead of fidling on and of with the EC button all the time?

So appart from the fuel saving (whatever that might save you) the EC is kind of an unneccessary feature in the car?

I understand how it works now, but i really dont understand the point of having both instead of only AC

To custom-set the temperature in your cabin, you MUST USE AC ON/EC OFF. To equilize the cabin temperature to whatever the outside temperature is (whether it's -32F or 110F, plus/minus a couple degrees), you CAN USE AC OFF/EC ON.

With EC ON AND RECIRCULATE OFF, only the fan is running, so it's just like you rolled down your car window and put a fan to blow the outside air into your cabin... same concept (except the climate control fan is in your engine compartment). You don't have any control over the temperature of the air outside of the car, so you're not going to have any control over the temperature of the air coming into the cabin.

With EC ON and RECIRCULATE ON, only the fan is running, so it's like you closed all the windows in your car, took a fan, put it on your dash, turned it on, and let it just circulate the existing air in your cabin. You don't have any control over the temperature of the air inside the cabin with AC OFF/EC ON, so you're not going to have any control over the temperature of the air coming from the air vents.

With EC ON, you will save some gas/electricity (get slightly better gas milage... how much better depends on your vehicle). However, with most vehicles today (American, Japanese, Korean, etc), with the climate control system turned OFF, you still get a small breeze while driving. This is because the air vents leading outside are not completely closed when the climate control system is off, therefore no matter if it's -32F or 110F outside, you will still get outside air (at the outside temperature) seeping into the cabin, even if the climate control system is turned OFF. Mercedes Benz designed their climate control system differently, in that if you turn the climate control system OFF, then it's really OFF (no outside air can seep in). I'm guessing in order to give users who like the "seeping" air effect, (as well as to have the climate control as user-customizable as possible), they included the AC OFF/EC ON function (even though it's not exactly the same as air "seeping" in, but probably close enough for most people). I know there's been at least 1 thread I've read where a user complained that Mercedes-Benzes don't let air "seep" into the cabin like most other brands of cars.

The EC function CAN also serve as a "in-between" alternative to totally turning off your climate control when your car is running hot (but not over-heating yet). This may happen either by driving in a very hot area (ie: 110F+), or because your car needs maintainence on its climate control system.

The EC function also comes in handy if there is something wrong with your compressor/heating/cooling system in the AC. If this is the case, most newer MB vehicles will display a warning on your multi-function display and allow you to turn AC OFF/EC ON, (but not AC ON/EC OFF because there is a malfunction in the system). Thus, at least you can get air blowing through the system, and you don't have to roll down your windows while driving down the freeway.

Last edited by chokaay; 06-19-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Not sure if it helps you out at all, but if you are looking for a manual ALLDATAdiy.com has a complete manual for your car. It is filled with factory info, in English!
Old 06-19-2009, 01:48 PM

S212 2014 220 CDI
Ok, thanks for the in depth explanation, seems clearer to me now
Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 PM

S212 2014 220 CDI
Originally Posted by ALLDATAdiy INFO
Not sure if it helps you out at all, but if you are looking for a manual ALLDATAdiy.com has a complete manual for your car. It is filled with factory info, in English!
You read my mind, but i cant find my model listed there, 1996 W210 SW E230?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
My apologies, we actually only have the E320 manual available. It is still a 210 chassis but has some differences. ALLDATA only has the US versions of the 210.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:10 PM

S212 2014 220 CDI
To bad, i would really like to know where and how i can get a manual in english though, been searching everywhere but cant find it
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 4MATIC

Are you saying you have a button labeled "AC"? If so, you are right it, would be redundant with the "EC" button. Otherwise, I believe you are overthinking the function of "EC". It simply deactivates the AC compressor as though your car didn't have A/C installed. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:05 AM

S212 2014 220 CDI
Nope, no AC button, but i understand now, what is confusing is that they have a EC button to control AC instead of labelling it AC, then it would be much easier to understand agree?

Its like having heated seats on all the time, and have a OFF button for it to turn it of