E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Bought my first mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320
Question Bought my first mercedes

Bought the mercedes 97 E420 the other day, and have some questions. I first tried to look in the manual, and tried to search around this forum, and no luck.... First. The FM reception is almost 0%. Cant find a channel that works. (yes im in the city, and radio works great on other car). I couldnt find no antenna on my car, is it hidden somewhere? If it is, how do I check the connection of the antena, and the stereo. Second, the volume knob is not working properly. When you turn it clockwise, the volume would decrease, and when you turn it counter-clocwise, the voulume would increase, then u turn the other way, it would also decrease, so you dont know when its gona increase, or decrease. Same problem on my dads merceds (E320). Is that a know issue? Any easy fix? Third, there is no bass in my car. I have the bass all the way on my stereo, and no bass at all. Is there supposed to be an amp somewhere? And it seems like all the speakers are working fine. Fourth, is there a special place where the handheld (cell-phone) from the car sits? Or it might just be missing, don't know where to look for it. I have the receiver for the cell-phone, right below the stereo. Hope I get these questions answered. And thanx to all of you, for reading it!!
Old 12-20-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 4MATIC
Originally Posted by zheka
Bought the mercedes 97 E420 the other day, and have some questions. I first tried to look in the manual, and tried to search around this forum, and no luck.... First. The FM reception is almost 0%. Cant find a channel that works. (yes im in the city, and radio works great on other car). I couldnt find no antenna on my car, is it hidden somewhere? If it is, how do I check the connection of the antena, and the stereo. Second, the volume knob is not working properly. When you turn it clockwise, the volume would decrease, and when you turn it counter-clocwise, the voulume would increase, then u turn the other way, it would also decrease, so you dont know when its gona increase, or decrease. Same problem on my dads merceds (E320). Is that a know issue? Any easy fix? Third, there is no bass in my car. I have the bass all the way on my stereo, and no bass at all. Is there supposed to be an amp somewhere? And it seems like all the speakers are working fine. Fourth, is there a special place where the handheld (cell-phone) from the car sits? Or it might just be missing, don't know where to look for it. I have the receiver for the cell-phone, right below the stereo. Hope I get these questions answered. And thanx to all of you, for reading it!!
The antenna is in the rear window and there is an amp somewhere around the left c-pillar under the fabric....Not exactly sure where all the connections might be.

As far as the volume control knob yes that's a very common problem but I don't know what the fix is. I lived with it for years.

No bass...are you sure all speakers are working properly....otherwise might be an amp problem in the head unit.

As far as the cell phone, it would be in the small upper compartment in the center console. However, you have an analog amplifer and the analog system has pretty much completly shut down...even if you could get every thing wired with the proper handset, it would be illeagal for a carrier to activate you.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:11 PM

2001 E320
Im pretty sure they are all working, but also I dont know how many speakers there are, and if all work or not exactly. I would fade the stereo to front left, it would work, then front right, then back 2 sides, and all worked fine, but no bass. If I wont be able to fix, I have a stereo at home from my previous car, that I'll probably use in this car, and I have subs at home with amp, that I'll probably use here as well..
Old 12-20-2009, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Congrats on your 'new' car -

I second checking the am/fm amplifier for bad connections. Get a can of electronic contact cleaner at Radio Shack or ?? Depending on the model of your radio you may be able to remove the vol knob (it should just pull off) and spray some cleaner thru one of the holes. You want to aim it at the space just behind the vol control shaft. Some people have had success with that. However, it could be that the radio has other problems. In that case your options are: buy new, buy used, buy aftermarket or send to Becker NA (most common supplier) for 1) exchange or 2) repair.

If your dad's radio gets good am/fm reception you can pull both radios and try his. If you get good reception, problem is in radio not antenna.

Your car may have come equipped with a analog cell phone. Those haven't been supported by the national carriers for a few years now. So no point in tracking one down except for looks. Since the cars were sold without the phone, there should be appropriate covers and panels to fix the 'holes' if you want to remove the remnants.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by RichardM98; 12-20-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just one other thought. Have the windows been tinted? Many tinting films have metal in them and it interferes with the MB embedded antenna design.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
The woofers are on the rear shelf. That's where most of your bass should be coming from. There is a single amp, in the trunk, driver side, behind the paneling. The amp drives all the speakers, so it's not likely the amp if you have sound at all.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:36 PM

2001 E430, Obsidian Black w. Ash/Orion Grey, 195,000 mi.
Originally Posted by RichardM98
Just one other thought. Have the windows been tinted? Many tinting films have metal in them and it interferes with the MB embedded antenna design.
It was my understanding that, at least on the facelift models, the radio antenna was in the rear bumper. Are the pre-facelift models different in this respect?

+1 on the contact cleaner down the volume knob shaft. I fixed my volume control that way. You have to remove the radio first so you can hold the radio vertically so the fluid flows down the knob shaft. Also, pull the knob off the shaft first.

Fred
Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fosmith
It was my understanding that, at least on the facelift models, the radio antenna was in the rear bumper. Are the pre-facelift models different in this respect?
You may be right, but I read that even the rear window defrost ribbon is part of the radio antenna design.

+1 on the contact cleaner down the volume knob shaft. I fixed my volume control that way. You have to remove the radio first so you can hold the radio vertically so the fluid flows down the knob shaft. Also, pull the knob off the shaft first.
Fred
Good points, Fred. Yes, I've heard several people have success with that. Wasn't sure if the OP had radio keys or was so inclined.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM

97 E-420

Fred
The cell phone antenna is in the rear bumper of the 420. radio antenna is a diversity antenna in the rear window. Metallic tinted film will mess up reception. Could also be the diversity amp in the drivers side c pillar.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 PM

MB E230 W210
Hi...

Just bought my 1st Mercedes last Dec 31.
To start with it is a 1996 E230 W210 and it has no owners manual.
I would like to ask how to use some of the features..
1. Could anyone tell me where is the switch of the Fog lights?
2. Another is that when I lock the car up, the Rear doors doesnt lock. Could it be the vacuum system? The rear headrest do retract and front
doors do lock. The car has not been used 3months before i got it so the
battery got flat. Could that condition have affected the system?

Hope you could help me. Thank you....
Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by CasperJD
turn headlight CCW 2 clicks to turn on headlight,
pull out towards you one click (front fogs)
pull out towards you two clicks (rear fog - singular)

2. Another is that when I lock the car up, the Rear doors doesnt lock. Could it be the vacuum system? The rear headrest do retract and front
insufficient information (not your fault) and will require series of
systematic tests or observances to determine if this is caused
by simple linkage, electrical, or pneumatic. sometimes, owner
replaces window regulator (prone to failure) and was sloppy in
reassembling. be sure to trickle charge the battery and verify
through load testing as well as specific gravity if only to eliminate
possibility of low voltage (though I doubt this is the cause). how
about using central locking switch on the console? does this perform
a full locking of all 4 doors?

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by raymond g-; 01-02-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:24 AM

MB E230 W210
Thank you raymond.

About the central locking button, tried using it but had same results. But last time I
tried the right side locked and opened unfortunately after 3 tries it went back to the previous condition. I lock it manually then sometimes it opens up by using the central locking button. On the left hand side, it does not lock via the button. It opens up though with some luck. but generally it does not.

I have some other inquiry.
1.What does the "EC" button on the central console do?
2. On the Headlight switch knob, there is 2 arrows and P( I think).
What happens if I turn the knob on the arrows?

Hope you can help me again on this things.
Thank you for helping...
Cheers
Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 AM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
Caspar -- there's an owner's manual available online in pdf form, I think. You'll prob. find a link to it by searching these forums -- or in www.benzworld.org.

EC = economy. Doesn't run the AC compressor I believe.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM

97 E-420
Hi...

Hope you could help me. Thank you....
Since you don't have an owners manual, go to ebay. They usually have full manual sets including the case for sale. may cost about $50 but well worth it. Go through it and you'll find out how to use all the features.

Fog light is activated by pulling out the light switch when lights are on. First detent turns on the front fogs, second detent turns on the front fogs and the one rear fog.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:05 PM

97 E-420
Thank you raymond.

About the central locking button, tried using it but had same results. But last time I
tried the right side locked and opened unfortunately after 3 tries it went back to the previous condition. I lock it manually then sometimes it opens up by using the central locking button. On the left hand side, it does not lock via the button. It opens up though with some luck. but generally it does not.

I have some other inquiry.
1.What does the "EC" button on the central console do?
2. On the Headlight switch knob, there is 2 arrows and P( I think).
What happens if I turn the knob on the arrows?

Hope you can help me again on this things.
Thank you for helping...
Cheers
swithing to the arrows turns on the left or right parking lamps only. Used when car is parked on street.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:57 PM

MB E230 W210
Thank you...(tmandel & E-420)
I looked at ebay and they have the repair manual at the moment.

While I was again inside the car I and still learning some of the other features,
there are this two more items which I cant' figure out.

1. the two small buttons on the instrument cluster one has a "+" sign and one
has a "-" sign. Could someone tell me what this is for. I am thinking it is for the trip meter. Currently I reset it when i pushed the button with "0" on it so I cannot
confirm.

2. Below the Fuel meter there is a temperature reading. Currently it indicates the
outside temperature. Can you make it indicate the cabin temperature as well?
Is there a switch for this or it always indicate the outside temperature?

Sorry guys for asking many questions... Its just that I never rode an MB before
now I am driving one..

Thank you again for all the help...
Old 01-02-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

+/- buttons are to adjust brightness of dash lighting. Press and hold 0 to reset trip mileage display.

Outside temp display is fixed.

Just a comment. These cars have quite a bit of electronics. If you are interested in using all the 'bells and whistles' a manual will save you a lot of time.

If you get a manual via eBay, I would suggest waiting until there's one for your exact year. There are minor variations from year to year. Also, check with a dealer. I don't think manuals are all that expensive. Maybe less than the sharks on eBay are trying to get. While a set w/ leather holder is nice, you'll do nicely with the OM, Radio Manual and Service Booklet (maybe free?). Another good source for a manual set is someone parting out a car like yours.

If that 'repair manual' you saw is the MB Star Classic Service Manual Library - Model 210 DVD then it will have both the radio and owners manual on the DVD.

Last edited by RichardM98; 01-02-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:34 PM

'99 E320 4matic Wagon
Try some of the mercedes junkyard/used parts vendors -- potomac german auto, for example. Surely they must accumulate manuals and sell them.

http://www.pgauto.com/
Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM

MB E230 W210
Thank you guys...
Yes I definitely I will get a manual.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2010, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W202 C55 (5.4 swapped C43)
I had the same problem of having no bass in my W210 also id recomend just getting a subwoofer and amp and having them wired into your trunk I got a 12" Rockford fosgate and its perfect not so much bass that you can hear it hitting from outside of the car but sounds great inside the cabin -hope this helps