E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Can I get by with MB camber bolts? Alignment specs inside...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E430 SE
Can I get by with MB camber bolts? Alignment specs inside...

My car has the H&R sport springs and stock pads. 235/40/18 tire up front.

Just went to get my front aligned and they couldnt get it into spec. So, guess I need to get some camber bolts.

My question, will the MB bolts be enough to get this into spec, or will I need to buy the adjustable a-arm bushings from K-mac, etc?

Here's the specs on my car from the alignment shop:

Left Front Camber -1.8 degrees. Right front Camber -2.2 degrees.
Left front Caster 5.8 degrees. Right front Caster 5.8 degrees.
Left front Toe 0.11 degrees. Right front Toe 0.10 degrees.

Camber spec range is from -1.0 to -.03 degrees.

Will the bolts be enough?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Yes camber bolts will bring you within spec. As long as nothing is bent, thought it does not appear to be.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
88 535is, 89 318iT
Personally, I like those specs, though I might want to even the camber. I mean, you went to the trouble to put on the springs. Might as well take advantage of the cornering ability! Less chance of rubbing a fender too.

Of course, If you did this just for looks...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:17 PM

2002 E430 SE
I love the way the car handles with these specs. Problem is, it is wearing out the insides of my front tires

Thanks Guys!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by Red66GT
I love the way the car handles with these specs. Problem is, it is wearing out the insides of my front tires

Thanks Guys!
What Rubber are you running? They look beefy in the rear...

*Nice set up on the rims Staggered?

Armani
Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 AM

2002 E430 SE
Thanks for the props. Yes, staggered Lorinser RS5's. Fronts are 235/40/18 and rears are 265's.

So, the Stealership wants $29 per bolt (x4!). Where can I get em cheaper?!!!!

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 PM

2002 E430 SE
Found em! Just gotta know what to search for. "Eccentric Pin Kit". $10 each! Woohoo!

http://www.discountmbparts.com/catal...ic%20Pin%20Kit
Old 03-17-2010, 01:16 PM

2002 E430 SE
Finally got the bolts. Finally got 2 new front tires. Finally found a shop that can install and align. Make an appointment. Take the car down there, the guy looks at the bolt and says "that's not gonna give you any adjustment". Thanks for wasting my time! Amazing how there's so many people who do NOT know how to work on these cars!

Gonna take it to my guy who set up my custom suspension on my Mustang. He knew exactly what I was talkin about when I called him. He's expensive because he knows his stuff. Guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks. Any bets on how much this will cost me?.....replace bolts, mount/balance 2 tires, 4 wheel alignment. He quoted ~$550 and that's with 3 hours for bolt install.

I really wish I had known all of this before I lowered the car. I wouldnt have done it. I had to spend about $500 on the rear too to get it to align.

Why dont the spring manufacturers sell these as a whole kit? Or at least have a footnote that you need to buy all of this other crap just to lower your car?

Frustrated.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Finally got the bolts. Finally got 2 new front tires. Finally found a shop that can install and align. Make an appointment. Take the car down there, the guy looks at the bolt and says "that's not gonna give you any adjustment". Thanks for wasting my time! Amazing how there's so many people who do NOT know how to work on these cars!

Gonna take it to my guy who set up my custom suspension on my Mustang. He knew exactly what I was talkin about when I called him. He's expensive because he knows his stuff. Guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks. Any bets on how much this will cost me?.....replace bolts, mount/balance 2 tires, 4 wheel alignment. He quoted ~$550 and that's with 3 hours for bolt install.

I really wish I had known all of this before I lowered the car. I wouldnt have done it. I had to spend about $500 on the rear too to get it to align.

Why dont the spring manufacturers sell these as a whole kit? Or at least have a footnote that you need to buy all of this other crap just to lower your car?

Frustrated.
To replace the bolts it's very easy, R&R job. Just do them one at a time. I know for a fact it's not 3 hours for the R&R of the front eccentric camber bolts. In a perfect world, you can get easily get all four bolts in and out in 30 minutes. Taking your time, 1 hour should suffice. But if you factor time for an alignment, and re-balancing your tires, 3 hours I would accept as reasonable, not for just the camber bolts.

As far as the rear is concerned, did you have a rear camber kit installed? I didn't follow your prior posts/threads...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:48 PM

2002 E430 SE
I installed the rears myself, but it cost me a set of tires as well. I swear I have had the worst luck with tires on this car.

But, I have yet to see a good write up on how to position the bolts once you get em on. Alignment dude told me that you need to get the notch in the right spot, and then not turn the bolt once you get it there. Couldnt find any info on this. It's not just a matter of putting the bolts in any old way....... Plus what scares me is that the a-arm is under the pressure of the spring and if I get one bolt out and the a-arm shifts, I'm screwed to fight against that spring..... No?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
I installed the rears myself, but it cost me a set of tires as well. I swear I have had the worst luck with tires on this car.

But, I have yet to see a good write up on how to position the bolts once you get em on. Alignment dude told me that you need to get the notch in the right spot, and then not turn the bolt once you get it there. Couldnt find any info on this. It's not just a matter of putting the bolts in any old way....... Plus what scares me is that the a-arm is under the pressure of the spring and if I get one bolt out and the a-arm shifts, I'm screwed to fight against that spring..... No?
When I replaced my lower control arms AND eccentric bolts, I tightened the bolts snugly, with the washers all uniform to each other. I didn't "tighten" the bolts as I know the alignment tech has to loosen them to set them anyway. The tech while performing the alignment, (will need to adjust them, it's the washer that does most of the work, AND will tighten then completely once the side being worked on is in spec. )For me, the tire shop that performed my alignment was approx. 1.5 miles away from my house, so I was able to drive there slowly.

You shouldn't have too much of an issue with the suspension loaded and replacing one bolt at a time. You can position an additional jack underneath the area you are working, and jack it up to apply some pressure to:
a)hold the camber arm in position
b)adjust height of the jack accordingly in order to let the replacement bolt slide through.

Put the new bolts in EXACTLY, or as close to as the prior bolts were installed.

You are ready to have it aligned!

* NOTE: alignment tech will/should finalize the position and orientation of the eccentric washer, hence getting the "notch" in the right spot.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 PM

2002 E430 SE
Thanks. Hopefully that will help the next guy. Took this guy 3 hours and he got it aligned. A little more camber than I would prefer, but should be good. Will end up with a little inside tire wear still, but should take longer. Here's the specs:

Camber on the fronts before the bolts was -1.59 & -1.82

After bolts and alignment:
Fronts
Camber -1.32 -1.54
Caster 5.72 5.56
Toe 0.04 0.04

Rears
Camber -1.55 -1.54
Toe 0.14 0.14

Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Those front camber specs are still better than mine. You'll be fine
Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM

2002 E430 SE
Really?! Yahtzee! Thanks for your input michakaveli. Great help.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Not saying that my specs are stellar But I think you're specs are fine, if I recall from memory correctly.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 M111.957 Kompressor
Hi guys, I know this has been an old thread, but I am facing the same issues here. My camber on my front right was -1.22 and and I saw some inner tyre wear (could have been due to shock absorbers getting soft). So I went to buy 2 pieces of eccentric bolt and went to my local workshop. However it was the first time they saw this and told me that W210 had no camber adjustment originally. And have never seen this eccentric bolt.

So we went ahead to change the lower control arm bolt from the original straight one to the eccentric one. Based on what I could find from the forums, the eccentric washer had a lug which sits nicely into the grove on the subframe. And I'm supposed to face the groove of the bolt either towards the engine (to get more positve camber) or towards the wheel (to get more negative camber).

However, after fitting this eccentric bolt, we turned it around but did not see any changes in the camber. Even after the nut was tightened it did not cause any improvement. Infact the camber went from -1.22 to -1.48 now. No matter where the bolt's groove was facing, it made no difference to the camber.

Any suggestions from anyone? I know someone suggested that both must be changed together to eccentric or straight, but I changed 1 but just couldn't figure out how to change the camber. The other bush which is further infront should affect the caster more than camber I think.....I left that untouched.

Appreciate all comments.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Someone can post a pic of the complete eccentric bolt kit? i think it will be helpful for someone that don't know about this corrective part

Fabio Daniel
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55
alignment issue

Please see the link below for an economical way to correct excessive REAR negative camber. Does not apply to OP but may help others.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201...mber-arms.html