E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 e240
normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210

Any expert know if my W210 E240 1999 y with normal halogen h/lamp want to convert to original xenon h/light.Now i need 2 complete sets of xenon(i thing the ballast was build in the h/lamp unit) & other than that should i do any modification on the wiring or wiring socket are there the same?
Any fault code will appear on the meter panel?
thk..
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
why not just try and find a nice set of hid xenon and just plug and play . for the price your gonna pay for the housing , ballast and bulbs . seem like its be more cost efficent just to install a plug and play kit .. now if the headligt were like aftermarket projector style then i can understand or you might just want OEM setup but IMHO it wouldnt be worth the trouble and hassle .. you can put in a HID kit in less then 30 min .. swapping out headlight and rewiring everything will take you 3 hours atleast ..
Old 04-22-2011, 12:16 AM

W210 e240
Originally Posted by MBFLO
why not just try and find a nice set of hid xenon and just plug and play . for the price your gonna pay for the housing , ballast and bulbs . seem like its be more cost efficent just to install a plug and play kit .. now if the headligt were like aftermarket projector style then i can understand or you might just want OEM setup but IMHO it wouldnt be worth the trouble and hassle .. you can put in a HID kit in less then 30 min .. swapping out headlight and rewiring everything will take you 3 hours atleast ..
because mine is abit yellowis on the lens so decided to change the lamp with original xenon.My friend got 1 sets of use xenon for sell but he also don,t no whether can convert or no, that is why is ask any expert here have done it before.
thk
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
there are differences between OEM halogen and OEM HID but they are minor.
thought not exactly plug and play, the differences should be fairly easy to
resolve.

the main lighting harness is essentially the same, but with the HID light, there
are additional connections used by the suspension to transmit telemetry adjust-
ments to the headlight. this is used by the headlight to autolevel the light
beam.

having said this, understand that i have not performed this swap first hand, but
feel confident that I could, with a few extra minutes of possible modifications.

if you can get the HID lights inexpensively, it's definitely worth considering.

if the ballast is OEM as well (should be Hella ballast) you may not incur the
light malfunction warning. a little challenging to say for sure, as you car isn't
a US model which i'm more familiar with.

i have a slightly different opinion in regards to HID kits and would not recommend
placing an HID bulb into an H7 designed headlight as they are not calibrated
for each other. the ensuing results is likely to be less precision in the cutoff
and a degree of uncontrollable glare

for your faded H7 headlight lens, you can try polishing it fairly inexpensively.
then add 65 watt halogen bulb as many have suggested on this forum (if
it's legal where you are)
Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 AM

W210 e240
Originally Posted by raymond g-
there are differences between OEM halogen and OEM HID but they are minor.
thought not exactly plug and play, the differences should be fairly easy to
resolve.

the main lighting harness is essentially the same, but with the HID light, there
are additional connections used by the suspension to transmit telemetry adjust-
ments to the headlight. this is used by the headlight to autolevel the light
beam.

having said this, understand that i have not performed this swap first hand, but
feel confident that I could, with a few extra minutes of possible modifications.

if you can get the HID lights inexpensively, it's definitely worth considering.

if the ballast is OEM as well (should be Hella ballast) you may not incur the
light malfunction warning. a little challenging to say for sure, as you car isn't
a US model which i'm more familiar with.

i have a slightly different opinion in regards to HID kits and would not recommend
placing an HID bulb into an H7 designed headlight as they are not calibrated
for each other. the ensuing results is likely to be less precision in the cutoff
and a degree of uncontrollable glare

for your faded H7 headlight lens, you can try polishing it fairly inexpensively.
then add 65 watt halogen bulb as many have suggested on this forum (if
it's legal where you are)
T
Thk u sir , for the information giving.
That is mean ,if OEM should be no problem. Am i right?I will consider to buy that 2nd hand xenon light to convert to mine car.Usually I like my car all part to be OEM.I don,t like aftermarket projector hid because of the quality.
Anywhere thk alot.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:14 AM

'01 W210 E320 CDI
For the OEM setup you'll need sensors on the front and rear axle for the automatic height-adjustment. There's also a different light switch without the adjustment-wheel. Besides another harness the car needs to be coded for Xenon otherwise the lights will flash on and off and you'll get false 'broken lamp' warnings. I also believe Mercedes always combined HID with a headlight cleaning system...

The aftermarket kits are always too bright IMO. The bulb has no shielding (the OEM D2R bulb does) and scatters the light completely around in the H7 reflector. When the lens is only slightly dirty it's blinding everyone. (Especially when these @ssholes with their "stadium lighting" are coming towards you when it's raining!)

In the Netherlands they have new legislation 'against' this.
From 01-01-2007 on, all cars fitted with HID's must have a reflector-lense or projector setup meant for HID. There must be a headlight washing system and automatic beam-height-adjustment.

Last edited by Lancelot; 04-25-2011 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:15 AM

W210 e240
Originally Posted by Lancelot
For the OEM setup you'll need sensors on the front and rear axle for the automatic height-adjustment. There's also a different light switch without the adjustment-wheel. Besides another harness the car needs to be coded for Xenon otherwise the lights will flash on and off and you'll get false 'broken lamp' warnings. I also believe Mercedes always combined HID with a headlight cleaning system...

The aftermarket kits are always too bright IMO. The bulb has no shielding (the OEM D2R bulb does) and scatters the light completely around in the H7 reflector. When the lens is only slightly dirty it's blinding everyone. (Especially when these @ssholes with their "stadium lighting" are coming towards you when it's raining!)

In the Netherlands they have new legislation 'against' this.
From 01-01-2007 on, all cars fitted with HID's must have a reflector-lense or projector setup meant for HID. There must be a headlight washing system and automatic beam-height-adjustment.
Hi,Lancelot.
Are u saying that the OEM xenon will not fit on my normal h/light?Will it to do alot of modification?

Last edited by nemo22; 04-26-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 AM

'01 W210 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by nemo22
Hi,Lancelot.
Are u saying that the OEM xenon will not fit on my normal h/light?Will it to do alot of modification?
Elaborate your question:

If you're asking if the OEM D2R HID bulb will fit your current headlight assembly, the answer is NO.

You'll need a complete OEM HID headlight assembly, ballasts, harness, etc. Also your current vacuüm-controlled hight-adjustment in the car wilt NOT work with OEM HID headlights.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Mercedes-Benz has some ultra complete kit to convert the halogen/vaccum regulated headlamps to OEM Xenon/electrical auto regulated headlamps, i bought one left kit for 400$ +/- in my country. Kits include:

OEM Xenon headlamps x 2
OEM Xenon ballast x 2
OEM Xenon bulbs x 2
OEM LWR height control unit
LWR Hella electric motors for headlmp adjust
Electric wiring harness (hundred of wires :S)
Lower control arm sensor with sticks x 2 (front/rear)
Miscs like: fuse, connectors, nuts, bolts, connectors, etc.

Maybe someone know about this kit called "Xenon ulterior conversion kit", i can check the part number to all of you guys i remember is B6... .. .. .. but i post it tomorrow

Fabio Daniel
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 PM

W210 e240
Originally Posted by Fabio D
Mercedes-Benz has some ultra complete kit to convert the halogen/vaccum regulated headlamps to OEM Xenon/electrical auto regulated headlamps, i bought one left kit for 400$ +/- in my country. Kits include:

OEM Xenon headlamps x 2
OEM Xenon ballast x 2
OEM Xenon bulbs x 2
OEM LWR height control unit
LWR Hella electric motors for headlmp adjust
Electric wiring harness (hundred of wires :S)
Lower control arm sensor with sticks x 2 (front/rear)
Miscs like: fuse, connectors, nuts, bolts, connectors, etc.

Maybe someone know about this kit called "Xenon ulterior conversion kit", i can check the part number to all of you guys i remember is B6... .. .. .. but i post it tomorrow

Fabio Daniel
Thk you Sir,
Waiting your next reply on the part no.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Hello everybody! sorry by the delay! here is the part # for the complete kit:

B6 680 99 10

I would take some pics inside the box of all contents if anyone need it! Let me know

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 05-03-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 AM

W210 e240
Hello everybody! sorry by the delay! here is the part # for the complete kit:

B6 680 99 10

I would take some pics inside the box of all contents if anyone need it! Let me know

Fabio Daniel
some pic will be great.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i'm intrigued and presuming that they are reflector based HIDs, and that this is a
retrofit kit. dug around and came up with this....

Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM

96' E320
Nemo22 - A factory Xenon/HID conversion is not worth the effort.

I did this to mine years ago when I worked for MB. Using all factory parts the conversion still took several hours, and I had to get help from one of the master mechanics. The conversion was very difficult, not to mention the cost...

Your best bet is to purchase an aftermarket HID "Plug & Play" kit and have your factory lenses polished. Stay away from "non factory" looking temperature range bulbs. You're looking for Neutral White in the 5000 - 6000k range.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Originally Posted by sandro
Nemo22 - A factory Xenon/HID conversion is not worth the effort.

I did this to mine years ago when I worked for MB. Using all factory parts the conversion still took several hours, and I had to get help from one of the master mechanics. The conversion was very difficult, not to mention the cost...

Your best bet is to purchase an aftermarket HID "Plug & Play" kit and have your factory lenses polished. Stay away from "non factory" looking temperature range bulbs. You're looking for Neutral White in the 5000 - 6000k range.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Good luck

Is not too expensive this kit, i paid 450$ +/-, here we go the pics inside the box:

(forgot to tell i get this kit for pre-face car's) i think is possible get the same kit by a newer models, anyway, the real hard installation on this kit is for the level adjutment, but if you want you can install the xenon headlamps without the level adjustment :S is not 100% necessary

Fabio Daniel
Attached Thumbnails normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1063-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1064-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1065-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1066-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1067-1-.jpg  

normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1068-1-.jpg  
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Here are some more pics inside:

Fabio Daniel
Attached Thumbnails normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1069-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1070-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1071-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1072-1-.jpg   normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210-img_1062-1-.jpg  

Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
[QUOTE=sandro;4656916]Nemo22 - A factory Xenon/HID conversion is not worth the effort.

I Stay away from "non factory" looking temperature range bulbs. You're looking for Neutral White in the 5000 - 6000k range.

Neutral range for xenon MB OEM is 4300 kelvin not 5000-6000 Kelvin which is bluer in color.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[ but if you want you can install the xenon headlamps without the level adjustment :S is not 100% necessary

Fabio Daniel[/QUOTE]

Fabio. Level adjustment is absolutely critical if you are running Xenon HID. You will blind the on coming driver which could lead to a fatality maybe your own. Please, give the right advice here and do not cut corners.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Well. I agree with you.. But if you have perfect aligned the beam pattern (height level) you wouldn't blind the oncomming trafic (we can see lots of cars with factory xenon HID without electric level adjustment like Pathfinder Nissan, New Sensation Toyota, W202 C43, W140 S500, anyway.. Is not too critical like your point. But i agree with you, the kit comes with level adjust need to be installed.

Fabio Daniel
Old 05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Every time you hit a bump in the road you are potentially blinding oncoming traffic and it takes more than a few seconds for your eyes to readjust. How many feet will you travel in closing distance during that time? A scary thought. That is the purpose of the adjusters.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
I agree 100% with you ejsheltra, this kit comes with level adjust and it will be installed. But i only said is not completly necessary, the most important is the properly adjusting of the light pattern level. More than 50% of the cars comes without electric level adjust. Anyway, this is the part number for the kit hope it helps

Fabio Daniel
Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 AM

W210 e240
I agree 100% with you ejsheltra, this kit comes with level adjust and it will be installed. But i only said is not completly necessary, the most important is the properly adjusting of the light pattern level. More than 50% of the cars comes without electric level adjust. Anyway, this is the part number for the kit hope it helps

Fabio Daniel
Thk u ,All of u giving so much information on this h/lamp convertion,I may reconsider whether want to install or not.1 more question,Is the xenon lamp wiring plug same as non xenon?If yes,Can I plug and play without the lever adjustment?Because now my friend offer me 1 sets of 2nd hand xenon with a very good price to me.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2007 Gl450 2006 cls55
i fitted oem xenon lights about six years ago to my halogen equiped w210. they plug in with no mods and dont trigger any lamp malfunctions. if you align them correctly you will have no problem and will not need auto levellers. the auto level system only compensates for loads in the car as they do not react for bumps in the road
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Sorry, the LWR yes, react for all bumps in the road, but is not noticiable when you are driving, but how i said before: is not necessary when you have perfect aligned your headlights,

Nemo: Yes, they are plug and play, but check your oem fuses by the headlights, XENON comes with 15 amp fuses

Fabio Daniel
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 PM

W210 e240
Sorry, the LWR yes, react for all bumps in the road, but is not noticiable when you are driving, but how i said before: is not necessary when you have perfect aligned your headlights,

Nemo: Yes, they are plug and play, but check your oem fuses by the headlights, XENON comes with 15 amp fuses

Fabio Daniel
Thk U ,Fabio
I will check the fuse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: normal halogen h/light convert xenon for w210