E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Transmission slips!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 SL550
Exclamation Transmission slips!?!?

Hey guys,

When this September comes I will officially own my Benz for a year. I have noticed a problem with my Benz for the last three weeks. When I start accelerating from low speeds to high speeds, I see the rpm rising and the engine sound rising, but the car is just rolling for about five to eight seconds and then it jerks forward and then goes. It literally jerks or jumps forward and then picks up the speed. This usually happens when I accelerate from a dead stop or turn in a corner and the accelerate. It dosent happen when I brake and then go. I spent about $700 on new tires just a week ago so I am pretty much broke right now. So please help me in identifying the problem. I can give any info on it. If anyone can tell me why is this happening and how much is going to cost me and how long do I have till repair it immediately situation? Please help me. I am very scared to even drive my car now. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
210 55
Check under the car for a trans fluid leak, and check (with a special tool) the trans oil level. i think you have a low oil level and they will be sliping, maybe you have a leak in the trans connector (pretty common) and the oil level is to low

Hope it helps

Fabio Daniel
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi/porsche
pos....
Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 PM

2007 SL550
Question

Originally Posted by Fabio D
Check under the car for a trans fluid leak, and check (with a special tool) the trans oil level. i think you have a low oil level and they will be sliping, maybe you have a leak in the trans connector (pretty common) and the oil level is to low

Hope it helps

Fabio Daniel
Thanks for your reply Fabio!! I will check that but the thing is that I bought the car when it was 115230 and I don't know if the previous owner do a transmission filter change at 100000 or not. So could that be the problem?? I also wanted to know what do they usualy charge for something like the things you mentioned for to check it and repair it?? I really hope that it dosent go over $500 because, I am going to college and I get a scholarship for $500 and so I will use that money and I will only get that money in august.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
01 E320
I would stop at a dealer and pick up a qt of transmission fluid. Get a funnel and add half a qt and see if the symptoms improve or go away. sounds like low fluid symptoms
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
It is very unlikely that a filter change or transmission fluid replacement will make any noticeable difference. BTW, the filter is a stainless steel mesh and will probably last longer than you will.

Find a local MB tech/shop and have the transmission level checked before adding any fluid. Be sure to drive the car for at least 20-30 mins before having it checked. A special extra long dipstick tool is needed. If they don't have it go somewhere else. Two important things are to correctly check the fluid level and replenish, if necessary, with the correct ATF.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 AM

2007 SL550
Originally Posted by RichardM98
It is very unlikely that a filter change or transmission fluid replacement will make any noticeable difference. BTW, the filter is a stainless steel mesh and will probably last longer than you will.

Find a local MB tech/shop and have the transmission level checked before adding any fluid. Be sure to drive the car for at least 20-30 mins before having it checked. A special extra long dipstick tool is needed. If they don't have it go somewhere else. Two important things are to correctly check the fluid level and replenish, if necessary, with the correct ATF.
Thanks for the tip Richard!!! I will go to my local MB auto shop first thing in the morning and ask them for that special dip stick. You don't know how worried I was with this problem. This is my first car and my first MB, so I didn't know what would go wrong and when it would go wrong and I was even looking up websites to sell black beauty (my car). But you saved me and black beauty. But when you said that the stainless steel mesh would last longer than I will, then why would the MB dealer mechanic tell me that it was suppose to be changed at 100,000 miles? (my current mileage is 130,850) Was he tring to just scary me and rip me off?? Thank you once again Richard and 01BlackE320!!! You guys are the BEST!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually when you car was new, the factory labeled the transmission as 'Sealed for Life'. Meaning that no fluid checking was necessary and no dipstick was provided. On later models of the E Class (W211,W212) the dealers have recommended more frequent transmission fluid changes. And people on the W210 forums have begun 'recommending' more frequent fluid changes. Some even suggesting 30 to 35K intervals. You'll have to decide what you are comfortable with -- factory, dealer or shade tree mechanic.

As for the filter, it's one of those things that 'seems like a good idea'. You have to remove the pan to check for debris from transmission wear so why not put a new filter in. In most cases the dealer doesn't remove the pan but just uses a fluid exchange machine to suck out the old and put in the new. But I think the inspection is useful. A small amount of fine metal particles shows normal wear after 130K. Larger particles or large pieces of graphite indicates a potential problem.

Also, have them check for a leak at the electrical connection as mentioned in a earlier post.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM

2007 SL550
Question

Originally Posted by RichardM98
Actually when you car was new, the factory labeled the transmission as 'Sealed for Life'. Meaning that no fluid checking was necessary and no dipstick was provided. On later models of the E Class (W211,W212) the dealers have recommended more frequent transmission fluid changes. And people on the W210 forums have begun 'recommending' more frequent fluid changes. Some even suggesting 30 to 35K intervals. You'll have to decide what you are comfortable with -- factory, dealer or shade tree mechanic.

As for the filter, it's one of those things that 'seems like a good idea'. You have to remove the pan to check for debris from transmission wear so why not put a new filter in. In most cases the dealer doesn't remove the pan but just uses a fluid exchange machine to suck out the old and put in the new. But I think the inspection is useful. A small amount of fine metal particles shows normal wear after 130K. Larger particles or large pieces of graphite indicates a potential problem.

Also, have them check for a leak at the electrical connection as mentioned in a earlier post.
I would go with the dealer's saying, but when the MB mechanic made my car and sealed the thing and said "sealed for life" then why is my transmission acting up?? When they say it would last for life, why is it acting up now?! I also understand that no human is perfect, but when they guarantee it with sealing it up for life, if it is acting up now then does that mean that my car's transmission wasn't build properly?? Latest news with my car is that it is losing power. I can notice the power loss. It is just not accelerating the way it used to. But really thanks for your help Richard!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I asked at my local dealer and was given this explanation which makes sense to me.

'Sealed for Life' doesn't mean the transmission will never fail. It means that if it fails, it is NOT due to the transmission fluid losing it's properties. So except for a leak there is no need to change or replenish the fluid and no need for a dipstick to check the level.

The 722.6 was one of the best transmissions made by MB. It was even used in the S600 V12 engine model. But a steady diet of Saturday night street racing will reduce the life of any transmission.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM

2007 SL550
Oh ok now I understand what 'sealed for life' means. Thanks so much for taking the time for Richard!! I really can't put it in words of how thankfull I am to you. My car is life 100 miles away from an oil change and so I am going to go this Friday or next Monday for the engine oil change, while I am at the shop I will tell them to take a look at it. If it is a major problem like a lot of leaking is happening or if they see any damage to the gearbox, then I will go ahead do the repairs right there. But if not anything major, I am going to wait until I get my scholarship money and use that to do the repair. Thank you very much once again. I will keep you posted on what the diagnose is on it.