E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Broken Bolt on rim HELP !?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
Broken Bolt on rim HELP !?

I got to change this tire,what can i do in order to take the bolt out ?

The head broke

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Remove the other 3 lug nuts and pull it off.

If the head of the snapped lug nut is fluted you may need to grind the fluted shoulder off to remove the tire/rim.

After the rim is off you can tackle removing the broken one at your leisure; just don't drive at excessive speeds until you do.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,024 Likes on 952 Posts
1999 E300TD
Removing the wheel rim will be easy,however without the proper tools you will make the situation worse, therefore save yourself LOADS of pain and take the car to a proper machine shop and or a very good truck stop who have the large tools to do a proper job.

PS:retorque the rest of your lug nuts properly---then %$#@ the next person that tries to uses a pnumatic tool to tighten you lug nuts!!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
Since the head of the lug bolt broke off leaving the bell that bears on the rim, you will have to either drill through the center of the broken lug with progressively larger bits until you get the bell portion to pop off. Study a removed bolt to see how deep to drill and how large a bit will finally be needed.

If you know someone with welding skills, it might be possible to weld a nut onto the broken bolt. The heat might help get the hub to release the threads that are likely rusted in place. Anti-seize used on the threads of the lug bolts only, will prevent the problem in the future. Good luck at trying to get people to not over-torque the lugs. The best one can do is re-torque after a shop messes with the lugs.

There are lugs that have the head and the bell portion as one piece, but they look different than the ones you have, which probably have a stainless cap on the head for appearance.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
Exactly. The rim wont come off until you gat that bolt off. It happened to me. I brought mine to my mechanic. He called some junk yards to locate a rim in the event he damaged my riim but he was able to get it off after a while with no damage.. I think he charge me around 200

Originally Posted by nelbur
Since the head of the lug bolt broke off leaving the bell that bears on the rim, you will have to either drill through the center of the broken lug with progressively larger bits until you get the bell portion to pop off. Study a removed bolt to see how deep to drill and how large a bit will finally be needed.

If you know someone with welding skills, it might be possible to weld a nut onto the broken bolt. The heat might help get the hub to release the threads that are likely rusted in place. Anti-seize used on the threads of the lug bolts only, will prevent the problem in the future. Good luck at trying to get people to not over-torque the lugs. The best one can do is re-torque after a shop messes with the lugs.

There are lugs that have the head and the bell portion as one piece, but they look different than the ones you have, which probably have a stainless cap on the head for appearance.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 e320 ,2006 AMG S55
Originally Posted by 01BlackE320
Exactly. The rim wont come off until you gat that bolt off. It happened to me. I brought mine to my mechanic. He called some junk yards to locate a rim in the event he damaged my riim but he was able to get it off after a while with no damage.. I think he charge me around 200
omg 200 ~!~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDY...ature=youtu.be

i used this method. wasnt easy but it worked
Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
I would caution against using an easy-out in this situation. You have to drill a good sized hole in the bolt to use an easy-out. Just drilling the hole a bit larger will cause the belled portion that holds the wheel, to pop off. Just don't try to drill the bolt with a large bit from the start. Start with say a 3/16 bit and then go up to say 5/16. Then you can use the bolt sized bit. Now if you really want a bad problem, break off an easy-out in the bolt. You will not be able to drill out the easy-out.

After the wheel is off, you can use penetrating oil and a vise grip to remove the stub from the hub.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
I would put the other bolt back in and torque them up to relieve the load somewhat on the broken one while you repair it.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Buy some left handed drill bits. That way you are pulling it out as you are removing material. You will need a very stable drill arrangement. Or you will end up refinishing the rim.

There are also impact screw drivers. Every time you whack it the bolt will turn about 10 degrees.

Personally I would go with welding a nut on the end. Just make sure they earth it properly.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Wurth Rost-off is pretty good.