E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Windows open by themselves and lights flash after Hurricane Sandy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
Windows open by themselves and lights flash after Hurricane Sandy

I live near the water on Long Island and since the storm Ive had some electrical glitches that I need help with. There was some water in the battery compartment and part of the power lock vacuum module was submerged. Now when the car sits overnight all the windows open by themselves. What component can cause this. Could that module cause this problem?

Also the SRS light stays on now. help!! I want to keep this car
Old 11-04-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
sorry, you're going to have to go through every single component, fuse,
pump, relay, black box modules, electrical contact, etc you can see
surrounding the battery and clean, wipe down, apply contact cleaner, check
fuse continuity, blow dry, replace foam (or seriously blot the heck dry), place
in uncooked rice, etc. add tons of ventilation for days, too. that's the easy
part. then after you've done all this, carefully check for function and report
back.

also, quit driving it. each time you power it up, you risk shorting more electrical
and electronic components.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 AM

01 E320
Originally Posted by raymond g-
sorry, you're going to have to go through every single component, fuse,
pump, relay, black box modules, electrical contact, etc you can see
surrounding the battery and clean, wipe down, apply contact cleaner, check
fuse continuity, blow dry, replace foam (or seriously blot the heck dry), place
in uncooked rice, etc. add tons of ventilation for days, too. that's the easy
part. then after you've done all this, carefully check for function and report
back.

also, quit driving it. each time you power it up, you risk shorting more electrical
and electronic components.
thanks. i had foot of water in my house and lost so much so and dont have flood insurance so its gonna be a while before I can tend to this. Such a disaster here on Long Island
Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
if i lived closer, i'd offer to help. the impact of your loss and the thousands
in your area is not lost even at the opposite end of the country. hang in there
Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
Sorry 01. But to your question, yes, the PSE module has a circuit board in the bottom that controls / is networked to all the devices on the CAN bus. These are your windows, locks, power seats, sunroof. door mirrors.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
If you have a covered area, and electricity, open all the windows and put some fans in the cabin area. Try to dry it out as best as possible before you turn any electrical back on.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
this is for a w140 but perhaps there are some tips within

this was an older 210 DIY fix i had in my notes but sadly the person who posted
and hosted the photos are no longer. wonder if you can email or PM them
directly for more info?

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM

01 E320
I tried drying it out in the sun and its been a few days since the windows opened by themselves. Hopefully it will dry out and work one day. There is a small yellow harness/connector that routes past the PSE that has one thin wire connected at each end. The salt water caused the wires to corode and fall out of the connector. I think that is what caused my SRS light to come on. Anybody know what that is? I tried reconnecting it and for a while the srs light went off but now it stays on. Thanks for all your help guys. Id hate to lose this car. it looks and runs perfect
Old 11-08-2012, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
I think yellow denotes fiber optic connectors. Since reconnecting those got rid of the SRS light you must be on the right track. Clean and dry the connection points as well as you can and buy some new wires. Alternatively, does it look like you can cut off the corroded ends and peel back the insulation and get back to some good ends? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited by Musikmann; 11-08-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 PM

01 E320
Yellow usually denote Air Bag. OK i had some time to play with it and made progress. I spliced the wires together that were connected into the yellow harness and soldered and the SRS light is now off, Also I pulled out the PSE unit and connected a hair dryer to my generator (still no power) and left it on low venting into the holes on the bottom for about a half hour. everything seems to be working fine now. the windows havent opened by themselves in a few days. Fingers crossed. I lost so much in this storm and would hate to lose my favorite car
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM

01 E320
ok I still have one glitch. The trunk wont open with the remote or console switch. If i disconnect the PSE cables and reconnect it works fine for a few days then glitches out. Everythin else seems ok. Think its still a little wet? any suggestions?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Try drying/electrical cleaner again inside the PSE unit. Open it and spay some electrical cleaner, and after dry it with a hair dryer. If the fault persist you need to replace the pse unit (you can get some ebay used with the same part number) hope you solve the problem mate. if i can help, just let me know pal

Fabio Daniel
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM

01 E320
Originally Posted by Fabio D
Try drying/electrical cleaner again inside the PSE unit. Open it and spay some electrical cleaner, and after dry it with a hair dryer. If the fault persist you need to replace the pse unit (you can get some ebay used with the same part number) hope you solve the problem mate. if i can help, just let me know pal

Fabio Daniel
Can I open up the PSE? I was trying to figure out how to do that
Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Yes mate! you can, just remove the electric connectors, you need to pop one small black clip in the gray hoses retainer to eject all the hoses. Under the gray hose's retainer you would see some torx little screws (3 or 4 if i remember good), remove it, and then open the plastic clips under the pump with a screwdriver (this way you can remove the plastic undercover) thats it, is easy. You need to press some little clips in the black/white electric connectors to remove the superior cover. Just need 5min to open it and clean it totally and i'm sure it will work again. (dont scare when you open it just have an air little motor and one orange hose, wires etc. take care reassembly to connect propperly the orange hose again

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 11-14-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM

01 E320
Yes mate! you can, just remove the electric connectors, you need to pop one small black clip in the gray hoses retainer to eject all the hoses. Under the gray hose's retainer you would see some torx little screws (3 or 4 if i remember good), remove it, and then open the plastic clips under the pump with a screwdriver (this way you can remove the plastic undercover) thats it, is easy. You need to press some little clips in the black/white electric connectors to remove the superior cover. Just need 5min to open it and clean it totally and i'm sure it will work again. (dont scare when you open it just have an air little motor and one orange hose, wires etc. take care reassembly to connect propperly the orange hose again

Fabio Daniel
Wow that is just the info i needed. im sure that will do it. The car is running/driving great except for the one remaining gremlin, the trunk wont release. I'll let you know how I make out
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Hope it helps friend, i'm so sorry by the losses by the storm, hope you make the car runs perfect again! If i can help you just let me know pal.

Fabio Daniel
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM

01 E320
Hope it helps friend, i'm so sorry by the losses by the storm, hope you make the car runs perfect again! If i can help you just let me know pal.

Fabio Daniel
ok I popped the clip and removed the hose assembly and removed the 3 torx screws but I couldnt get further then that. i didnt understand how to remove the clips on the bottom. Also I easily disconnect the 2 black wire harnesses but not sure how to remove the black gray harnesses (with all the thin gauge wires).

Can you explain how those lower clips work? anyway its a lot easier job to replace the PSE knowing you dont have to disconnect all of those yellow hoses and can just swap in the hose assembly.

its working ok now except thetrunk release function seems to freeze up in a few days requiring a power reset. at least the windows dont open by themselves anymore!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
The lower clips is so easy, just insert a flat head screw driver between the plastic undercover and the upper cover oppening a little the plastic! you need to oppen it one by one (trying to pop up the undercover). its easy and this plastic no crack easly. And the black little wires harness is easy too, you would see a little gray clip rounding the connector right? in the upper part of the connector you would see a little portion that you need to press and then turn the gray part to the left (pressing the little security portion), this way you can disconnect the harness. Sorry for the bad english but hope you understand what i'm talking about.

Let me know any news and try to do the job as soon as possible!

Fabio Daniel
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM

01 E320
The lower clips is so easy, just insert a flat head screw driver between the plastic undercover and the upper cover oppening a little the plastic! you need to oppen it one by one (trying to pop up the undercover). its easy and this plastic no crack easly. And the black little wires harness is easy too, you would see a little gray clip rounding the connector right? in the upper part of the connector you would see a little portion that you need to press and then turn the gray part to the left (pressing the little security portion), this way you can disconnect the harness. Sorry for the bad english but hope you understand what i'm talking about.

Let me know any news and try to do the job as soon as possible!

Fabio Daniel
Your English is fine and you described it perfectly. When I removed those harnesses I immediately knew what my problem was. They must have been under the salt water and were badly coroded. Pins were rusted and I think some rotted away. One pin seemed shorted and burnt. The rest of the PSE was clean and dry I cleaned it with electic connection cleaner as best I could but it was in bad shape. I put it back together thinking it would be worse but it seems to be the same. The trunk works for a while then stops. Everything else seems ok. I never noticed that you can open the trunk from the rear with a button so actually if this is my only problem that would be fine. No need to replace the PSE for that although its not hard to do thanks to your directions. Im a bit worried that some of the pins rusted off and are now stuck in the harness. That would be tricky to fix. Thanks for the assistance. Where are you located? Im on the South shore of Long Island. We took a 12 ft storm surge with hurricane Sandy. It was like a tsunami. Worst storm here in 137 years.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

210 55
Originally Posted by 01BlackE320
Your English is fine and you described it perfectly. When I removed those harnesses I immediately knew what my problem was. They must have been under the salt water and were badly coroded. Pins were rusted and I think some rotted away. One pin seemed shorted and burnt. The rest of the PSE was clean and dry I cleaned it with electic connection cleaner as best I could but it was in bad shape. I put it back together thinking it would be worse but it seems to be the same. The trunk works for a while then stops. Everything else seems ok. I never noticed that you can open the trunk from the rear with a button so actually if this is my only problem that would be fine. No need to replace the PSE for that although its not hard to do thanks to your directions. Im a bit worried that some of the pins rusted off and are now stuck in the harness. That would be tricky to fix. Thanks for the assistance. Where are you located? Im on the South shore of Long Island. We took a 12 ft storm surge with hurricane Sandy. It was like a tsunami. Worst storm here in 137 years.
Man i'm so sad with this storm damage , well i live in Venezuela (here, we no have hurricanes, storms, tsunamis, we no have common natural dissasters here) but we have here the most M***F***** president EVER!!! This is a real dissaster in my country trust me, this As..H... is the worst president in the americas.. we are trusting in God to help us..

Well, i recommend you to try to oppen the plastic harness and remove the rusted pins cause it will corrode the female pins in the harness giving you some troubles when you replace the pse unit (In the future), you can remove one little plastic portion in the rear side of the connector (you would slide it with your fingers), then insert a little flat head screwdriver to remove the connector cover itself. This way you got access to the wires/pins one by one (not scare, the pins/wires not pop off to the plastic part) this way you got the possibility to remove the rusted parts by the female pins.

Hope it helps mate, and if you need other help i'm glad to help you friend

Fabio Daniel

Last edited by Fabio D; 11-17-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM

01 E320
Well its been a while now and it seems the only lasting problem after Sandy water damage is I cant open the trunk or release the rear headrests. If I disconnect the PSE it resets and works for a few days then stops. Im tenpted to order a new PSE but it may actually be a harness thats damaged and not the PSE. For now I'll live without a trunk. The car eorks perfect otherwise.