E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Airbag torx bolt stripped

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SEL,190E2.3,190E2.6
Airbag torx bolt stripped

I am working on my neighbor's w210 swapping out a whole interior,changing color so now I got to the dash part.I got the old airbag removed and when trying to remove the "new" airbag of the parts car,one torx bold is stripped and won't take the torx bit.I have tried many things but nothing seems to catch what's left.I tried a smaller bit T27 and can feel it go in but turns freely so it is stripped.I've tried an allen wrench and cut it somewhat close to size but that isn't doing anything either.These bolts don't have much dept as other torx bolts have.Also the parts car steering column won't extent,so an issue there also.Display is out and whole dash lose.The steering wheel (black) I try to remove is in like new condition and I really don't like to mess with it but it seems that I ran out of choices to get that last torx bolt out.I took the old wheel apart to see how it was put together and it looks like drilling out the bold is pretty much impossible and won't do anything since it also has a washer attached to it that needs to be drilled off.It becomes more of grinding the whole bolt down of which I have nothing that'll fit in the small steering wheel hole without doing damage.I'm now thinking on trying to cut into the side of the airbag/plastic part near the buttons so I can stick a saw blade in it and then try to cut the frame where the bolt goes through,apart so the airbag will come out.Then I can use the frame of the old steering wheel and of course will need to go look for a nice black airbag...I've looked around and airbags are cheaper than nice steering wheels although cutting in the side of the wheel would make things so much easier.Before I'll go about it I like to see if anyone has found a better way to get that airbag off.I know this system was used on many Mercedes cars so anyone with that experience I like to pick their brains.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:58 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by merc190e23
I am working on my neighbor's w210 swapping out a whole interior,changing color so now I got to the dash part.I got the old airbag removed and when trying to remove the "new" airbag of the parts car,one torx bold is stripped and won't take the torx bit.I have tried many things but nothing seems to catch what's left.I tried a smaller bit T27 and can feel it go in but turns freely so it is stripped.I've tried an allen wrench and cut it somewhat close to size but that isn't doing anything either.These bolts don't have much dept as other torx bolts have.Also the parts car steering column won't extent,so an issue there also.Display is out and whole dash lose.The steering wheel (black) I try to remove is in like new condition and I really don't like to mess with it but it seems that I ran out of choices to get that last torx bolt out.I took the old wheel apart to see how it was put together and it looks like drilling out the bold is pretty much impossible and won't do anything since it also has a washer attached to it that needs to be drilled off.It becomes more of grinding the whole bolt down of which I have nothing that'll fit in the small steering wheel hole without doing damage.I'm now thinking on trying to cut into the side of the airbag/plastic part near the buttons so I can stick a saw blade in it and then try to cut the frame where the bolt goes through,apart so the airbag will come out.Then I can use the frame of the old steering wheel and of course will need to go look for a nice black airbag...I've looked around and airbags are cheaper than nice steering wheels although cutting in the side of the wheel would make things so much easier.Before I'll go about it I like to see if anyone has found a better way to get that airbag off.I know this system was used on many Mercedes cars so anyone with that experience I like to pick their brains.
honestly youre pretty screwed. not what you want to hear but if that bolt is stripped drilling it out wont do anything for you.
try putting a rubber band on the end of your socket and seeing if itll grab
Old 08-08-2022, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SEL,190E2.3,190E2.6
Well I got it out.Tried a hail Mary by hammering the T30 tool in it till it got stuck and finally the bolt came loose.When out,I've looked at the bolt and can't believe the T30 grabbed it.It is all round inside.Whoever messed with it before did a great number on it.
Thanks for your reply though as I was thinking the same of what you've said.I've read many "advice" on line about this subject and so many suggested "drill it out" but I don't believe they know how it was put together.Best one was "use a dremel and cut a slice in it,then use a screwdriver"....
Old 08-09-2022, 12:20 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by merc190e23
Well I got it out.Tried a hail Mary by hammering the T30 tool in it till it got stuck and finally the bolt came loose.When out,I've looked at the bolt and can't believe the T30 grabbed it.It is all round inside.Whoever messed with it before did a great number on it.
Thanks for your reply though as I was thinking the same of what you've said.I've read many "advice" on line about this subject and so many suggested "drill it out" but I don't believe they know how it was put together.Best one was "use a dremel and cut a slice in it,then use a screwdriver"....
Those are always nightmares. iv had to remove some pretty bad ones in the past. just shove it in there and pray for the best. pretty much what you did