E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

hard start -> sometimes <-??? 1999 w210 e320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e320
hard start -> sometimes <-??? 1999 w210 e320

so some times, not always, id say 50% of the time , i have to spank the gas pedal to get it to start, once started runs fine, runs perfect

but so why is that? why do i have to do press gas to get it to fire? I have changed plugs, put in new filter and new bosch MAF,

new cam sensor and crank sensor (bosch)

the other half of the time, i turn key and like starts with no sweat, liek can stand outside the car, turn key and it will fire right up whereas other times i need to be in it and smash gas to get it to go.

why - its frustrating.

pls TIA
Old 09-08-2022, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
The gas pedal action is not a measurable method of diagnosing, merely anecdotal. It's no different than saying that the elevator doesn't come unless you press the button multiple times. So you're somewhat guessing at symptoms, cause and effect and drawing conclusions. In the meantime, you're replacing parts based on guesses and finding out (so far) that nothing you've tried has been the solution. They are reasonable, calculated guesses, though, I might add. I wish there was a more definitive way of testing for fuel, air, voltage or sensors without having a MB diagnostic tool.

Without excluding those ideas, these might be potential areas to look into: fuel filter, fuel pump, car battery, Relying on your description isn't realistic because other indicators (at least for me) would include sounds, lights, sequence etc. In other words, keyboard-over-internet may prove challenging without lots of guesses, trial and error.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:21 AM

e320
no codes, i have scanner tool
brought it to a guy ...he said he works on mb, there were about half-dozen there
he said he cleared the codes - and it at least stopped stalling on me, but now it is hard start half the time
but idk i have suspicions about that visit when the e320 was there at his place but whatever
i got it back now and it doesnt stall now at least

i may replace the throttle body or at least maybe clean it - see if that helps, if not then ill prolly just try the other set of wheels i got which are 18s not 16s and see if that maybe helps
i just repaired the headliner and im pleased with how it looks now i think these are known to have saggy headliners but it is actually pretty easy to replace.

thx
Old 09-09-2022, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
if you have a generic OBD tool, it won't read all of the MB sensors...accessible through the round 38-pin port in the engine bay fuse cluster
Did the person who cleared the codes print them out first? Those important clues would have helped should the symptoms reappear.

Sounds like you have quite a project. Hope it rewards you with some fun times.

I just got my 99 back on the road after 2 yrs layoff and have been driving around just to use up the old fuel in the tank. Shocks and springs changed and R134a filled to restore AC.

The following users liked this post:
brooktre (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 02:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
320e
Originally Posted by raymond g-
if you have a generic OBD tool, it won't read all of the MB sensors...accessible through the round 38-pin port in the engine bay fuse cluster
Did the person who cleared the codes print them out first? Those important clues would have helped should the symptoms reappear.

Sounds like you have quite a project. Hope it rewards you with some fun times.

I just got my 99 back on the road after 2 yrs layoff and have been driving around just to use up the old fuel in the tank. Shocks and springs changed and R134a filled to restore AC.

Wow! What a beauty. Never seen that color and it's in perfect shape... you must not live in the North or drive it in the winter if so.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:17 AM

e320
yeah ive never seen that color either

mine is the black, kinda wish it was silver though, but im living with it, got a good deal on it so im happy

i may fool with throttle body at a minimum and se if that changes anything
Old 09-09-2022, 08:34 AM

e320
the radio or amp or just wiring in the back caused there to be no sound at all, zero radio/cd/tape, but the hu was working...so i pulled everything out and put in my own 6 channel amp (from the 90's also btw) and subs (early 2000's) in the back ...great sound now- i may throw some focals in the doors over winter.
just like when i was 25yo again.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:35 AM

e320
still need little added wire to get it completely tucked away

BUT i will also add
that i tested the fuel rails, and was showing between 48-55 psi on the rails
with key just turned (48psi) and 55psi once running
Old 09-09-2022, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
yeah, we're both looking good! now job is to attend to the devils in the details to keep our babies running smoothly.

I've put up with the factory head unit for over a decade simply because I don't drive it much (68,255 mi today). I bought it used in 2003. So my plan is to try and slide in a flip out dvd am/fm unit in the empty compartment under the radio if I can. I may simply replace the head unit which has poor reception. The CD changer was so poor I tossed it in the garbage can after years of resuscitating again and again.

The amount of money tossed into my E320 rabbit hole is crazy and not cost effective. It's partly a feel young hobby car. When I think of selling it, I drive it one more time and change my mind. It's the only vehicle I own with an automatic transmission so it's novel for me. Mods: HID from a 211 E55, wheels from 211 E55, Designo seats from 210, Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks....no more mods after i swap in the DVD.

Last edited by raymond g-; 09-09-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:43 AM

e320
so i called the local mb guy and he said his guess was that it was the key
that the silver chromey trimmed keys are often known as to fail

so he asked if i had one of the black keys- i did.... so since then i been using the black key- and it has never given me the same starting issues as the other keys did/were doing.

so it was nothing mechanical or parts that needed to be replaced, just a bad infared transmitter in the silver trimmed key i have

just a fricken key - go figure eh