E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E320 won't get in gear after water spill on center console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Volvo
E320 won't get in gear after water spill on center console

Having owned my 2000 E320 4matic wagon for 11 years (purchased from original owner in 2011); 336,000km on the odo; my mom decided to spill 250mL of water into the center console between the transmission selector and 12v outlet in the center console. While the car is no longer worth much and body ain't in the best shape, I would very much like to keep it running for another 50k. This stupid accident seems like a bad reason to totaled the car.

Incident occurred while driving and within minutes with the gear selector remained in D position; the car went into neutral by itself, coast to a stop and no longer displays the gear on the dash. ESP and ABS warning appeared. No matter which gear the selector is actually positioned, the dash does not indicate a gear. Once put into Parked, it was a hit or miss bringing it out (30% success rate approx). Reverse will not engage either, tiptronic does not response. P and N are the only two gears that are functioning as perhaps this is due to the mechanical engagement.

Check Engine light came on with the following:

P0720 - Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit
P0500 – Vehicle Speed Sensor A

P1747 – reader gave “no DTC definition found”
Google Definition:
Electronic Gear Selector Module
Defective Interaction of CAN With Control Unit Instrument Cluster
Another definition online reads “Transmission Pressure Control Short Circuit”

Cleared the code with the OTC OBDII tool and the check engine light never came back

Towed it home, disconnected the battery for a night, took out the trims and blow hot air for 30 minutes, no difference. No fuses blown. TCM reset by doing key in, hold gas pedal for 10 seconds with kick down, turn key off, release pedal, wait two minutes was completed.

Looking for ideas on next step:
A) give it some time and hope magic happens with more drying time
B) replace gear selector (A 210 545 1432) – the most obvious choice?
C) replace speed sensors (seems odd if water could have gone straight to it, where are these sensors)?
D) replace transmission control unit (A 027 545 1132) where is this on a W210? Perhaps I can check for water damage.

Many thanks

Old 12-04-2022, 09:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W220, W210 x 2, R170
Your transmission is in limp mode. You will have to clear the code(s) with a code reader that is capable (I.e. Mercedes SDS). That is the only way to get the transmission out of limp mode. You may have to replace the gear selector if it was damaged. Even if you replace the gear selector the code has to be reset - so start with the reset.
The following users liked this post:
davmil2002 (06-17-2024)
Old 12-04-2022, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 956 Likes on 742 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Pull the shifter module and placed it an oven at 140 to 170° for a couple of hours. This should work unless you spilled soda or a sweet fruit drink. Any type of contaminants really screw with a shifter module due to the conductivity of the contaminants. If that is the case you're going to need a lot of pure alcohol to clear the contamination. You must clear the codes after reinstalling the transmission shift module.
It is doable, it just requires a little work. Pay yourself or pay a dealer or an independent.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:21 PM

Volvo
So it could just a code without check engine light anymore
or
Entire Gear Selector / Shifter Assembly (210-545-1432 / 210-267-075)

I thought limp mode was like limited gears or stuck on like third gear? Didn't know a totally not engaging gear is still considered limp mode.
Will tow it to a shop and do a reset first then see. Else it will be gear selector then a reset.
Some say it needs dealer programming (not just clearing the code) when replacing the selector?

Doubting the - Transmission Control Gear Recognition Neutral Safety Switch (210-545-13-32)

I am reading https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ter-spill.html
Sounds like everyone got a different story

At least that means I don't have drop the transmission
Old 12-05-2022, 06:53 PM

W220, W210 x 2, R170
I responded to that thread - this happened to me. Yes a code reset may fix it, but the shifter may have been damaged, or you may be able to dry / clean yours. You won't know until you read and reset the codes with the proper equipment.

Dealer programing usually refers to Star Diagnosis System (SDS) which is available to consumers and independent shops. There are other code readers that will read Mercedes specific codes, but I don't know if they will reset a transmission in limp mode.

A US 2000 E320 uses this part 210-267-05-24 if the shifter needs to be replaced. I don't know if it would be the same for your model.
raymond g- (01-20-2023)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:48 AM

Volvo
A 210 545 1432 is the current gear selector in my Canadian E320.

One other thing I noticed is the day time running light (DRL) is remaining on the entire time once I start the vehicle. Normally, DRL turns off if the selector is in P or N.
Is this part of limp mode, or the selector fried?

Just trying to see if I should source a selector then go to the shop all in one shot.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:34 PM

W220, W210 x 2, R170
I am not familiar with the DRL circuit, but it would make sense that it is related if DLRs turn off based on gear selection. That in itself doesn't mean that your gear selector is bad. The water caused an electronic malfunction which was detected and a code was thrown to protect the transmission from damage. When that code is cleared, it may or may not return depending on if the malfunction is still present.

How you proceed with the repair is your call. If you are relying on an independent shop for reading the codes you sort of have to play by their rules. When the code(s) are read and cleared, they may find that some can't be cleared because the component is still damaged (i.e. your gear selector is still damaged) or they may clear and you could be good.

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2023, 10:35 AM

Volvo
With the proper scanner and connections, I was finally able to read about 10 codes and cleared it. After clearing and a couple of power cycle, the car is now in limp mode (2nd gear and reverse only). At least it can now move under its own power.

There are two codes that will not clear.
034 – control module N15/5 (Electronic selector lever module control module) are not available on CAN bus
130 - module N15/5 (Electronic selector lever module control module) are intermittently not available on CAN bus

I ran a construction flood blower at the gear selector for six hours, as well as AC to dehumidifier the interior, no luck. With trim pieces and screws removed, this leaves the linkage between the selector and the transmission metal connector holding things in place. This part is heavily rusted. Once the gear selector comes off, I will attempt to dry it inside the house with heater and/or replace the selector.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:43 PM

Volvo
Solved by locating a selector from junk yard and resetting the TCM. Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by achc:
brooktre (01-20-2023), raymond g- (01-20-2023)
Old 06-16-2024, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210
Reset

Originally Posted by achc
Solved by locating a selector from junk yard and resetting the TCM. Thank you.
can you possibly elaborate on how you got to reset my car is parked in a condo unit and I’m really concerned on how I can get a Mercedes sds or Techician to come help me?
Old 06-16-2024, 09:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,039 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
based on the limited info in your post,how do you know you have the same fault
thew210er (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210
Originally Posted by Plutoe
based on the limited info in your post,how do you know you have the same fault
I mean I did the same exact thing I had some protein powder on my shift knob and dumped a whole bunch of water on it so I don’t scratch the leather wood trim on the shift knob and the exact same lights came on while driving I couldn’t up shift stuck in the same gear took me to my destination slowly and then shut off car and parked and transmission went into limp mode.