E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E320 - 2000 maint facts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 Sedan
Exclamation E320 - 2000 maint facts

Spark plugs change every 100,000 miles.
Oil change: Synthetic every 5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.
Radiator Flush: Every 3 years or every 40,000 miles which ever comes first.
Brake fluid flush: Every 2 years or every 25,000 miles which ever comes first.
Fuel filters: Every 60,000 miles.
Transmission Fluid: Never until it brakes per MB !!! But my mechnic is suggesting replacing it every 70,000 miles.

I think the above is very reasonable to keep the car in top shape with least cost to consumer. Have fun. Anyone cares to add to this list, please feel free.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 PM

2000 E320 Sedan
no comments I guess
Old 01-21-2005, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
You forgot Air Filter. Every 15,000 miles?
or K & N - Clean every 50,000 miles.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:55 PM

2000 E320 Sedan
MB airfilters according to my mechanic is 50,000. Forget about othr high performance airfilters shtuff. I replaced mine at 45000 which was the original and it could have lasted easily until 50,000 miles.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Thumbs down K & N, A Bad Move!

Originally Posted by OceanView
You forgot Air Filter. Every 15,000 miles?
or K & N - Clean every 50,000 miles.

Wise to stay away from any aftermarket "oiled" filter such as the K & N types. Why you ask?

Because the oil is sucked off the element and can ruin your MAF.
This has been documented time and time again by members of the TDI group.

Regular factory air filters are not that expensive as pointed out above,
especially when compared to the additional price of a new MAF part alone.

Stay away from K & N. Don't be fooled by their false advertising. Their claims are not true.

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 01-23-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Question

Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT
This has been doctumented time and time agian by members of the TDI group.

Well, have you ever used one......"sir", Mr Know-it-all?

It has also been documented "time and time" again by users that the K&N has improved performance and problem-free, despite claims of the infamous oil issue - it is merely how you maintain it. I, for one have had mine for almost 3 years without any problems and performance improvements were expereinced, although not as much as noticeably as one would expect...please do not jump to conclusions. Peace out.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Thumbs down Here you go again.

Originally Posted by Whitey

Well, have you ever used one......"sir", Mr Know-it-all?

It has also been documented "time and time" again by users that the K&N has improved performance and problem-free, despite claims of the infamous oil issue - it is merely how you maintain it. I, for one have had mine for almost 3 years without any problems and performance improvements were expereinced, although not as much as noticeably as one would expect...please do not jump to conclusions. Peace out.

The only reason that I'm responding to your post at all is because someone may believe you and make the mistake of installing a K & N filter.

I do not jump to conclusions! I have 58 years experience working on cars, dating back to 1946 when I started working on my folks 1937 Plymouth.
How old are you, and how much experience do you have?

Do you believe all advertising claims?

I know what I know, period.
Have you ever heard of the famous Chevrolet Impala SS build from '94-'96?
I had one, and had it dynoed prior to many many modifications that were performed on it.
I wanted to go step by step and see what each modification would do for improved performance. Are you still with me?
The car was box stock with only the factory mufflers changed, nothing else. The car was run on the dyno, and a base line established. Since I was entitled to a second run for no additional charge, the owner of the shop asked me what I wanted to change. I asked him to remove the factory stock AC filter which was well used, as the SS had 17K miles. THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE in the dyno readings. None whatsoever!

Now over here, we have a saying that goes: "I'm from Missouri, Show Me." Well I'm not from MO, but show me how installing a K & N air filter is going to improve on having no air filter in the air box at all as far as air restriction is concerned. There cannot be any less restriction using a K & N filter than having no air filter at all, can there?

Our SS impala club, the largest in the country, used to go to Pomona as a group regularly, and no one ever recorded any better quarter mile times with a K & N filter over the plain old stock $5 AC factory paper filter. How many paper filters can you buy for the high priced K & N that you have to clean and oil, getting your hands filty just removing it from your car?

Oil bath air cleaners went out with high button shoes. Paper filters are much more efficient, and do a much better job of filtering out the junk.

There are hundreds of cases of individuals all over the World who have had problems with the MAFs on their TDIs traced to using a K & N. They all cannot be quilty of over-oiling as you say. Go over to Fred's and do a search, and if your not so hung up on your own ideas, perhaps you'll learn a thing or two there. Last time I heard, there were over 28,800 members on that forum, and that number is still climbing. I wish that there was just ten percent of the wealth of information here on our MBZs as is available there on the TDIs. And these are all diesel engined cars, no gassers.

Have you ever done an oil analysis on your car? One wonders what your silicon levels are, and how high some of the various metal readings are?
I'll bet there too high. I hope you change oil every few hundred miles, as that is the only way you'll keep it clean.

Now I'm not a "know it all" as you say, but I'll surely take the word of several others' experience coupled with my own personal experiences over yours. Many independent shops that work on the various Marques with the TDI motors have a pile of K & Ns that they have removed from customer's cars because the failed MAF were traced to that same problem. If you want to go ahead and drive your with your head in the sand, do so. But is proven to me that they're no good.

I did once have a hugh K & N cone filter on my blown "full house" (bet you don't know what that means!) 383 cu inch SS, but only because that was the only filter we could find that would flow enough air to keep the supercharger from cavitating for lack of air. But I did not hardly oil it at all, and I cleaned it every week. And that was more or less a race car that I drove on the street. A 4300 pound car that ran about the same as a good running late model E-55 AMG. But this was in 1996, and there were not anywheres near stock MBZ car that would run with it.

What is the proof that you have that shows installing a K & N actually improved your performance?
There aren't any drag strips over yonder there in HK are there?
Seat of the pants you say. Give me a break . . that's not relyable!

So you can go ahead and sit over there at nearly noon and attack every thing I post. If you want to waste your time, that's entirely your business. But don't make bold statements here that you cannot prove and give bum advise to many here who don't know any better.

Last edited by Green E-300 DT; 01-23-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I'm all for respect for experience......

Interesting stories and some may just have some merit to them and get more recognition if only you were less offensive and stubborn.

Firstly you should learn to read between the lines, hey this time it was a simple paragraph with proper spellings . I have nothing to prove to anyone nor do I need to.

I did not get the K&N because of advertising or this forum. What I stated were facts -

1) I use K&N,
2) I've had no problems with them and
3) I have noticed a little performance enhancement.

Besides, your long stories merely demonstrate your lack of confidence in the matter. I do not need to prove to you or anyone with long stories, stories that I too can just fabricate but if I were to do so, I would at least try to use examples with more relevance (e.g. how the hell can you compare the use of a cone filter with what our cars use?).

Your repeated reminders of your age is another sign of your insecurity. Do you think age automatically gives you the right to respect and attention? It is something you have to earn.... I advise seasoned CEO's around the world everyday, most are willing to learn and discuss but those with an attitude like yours simply get fired.

Your repeated reminders of my location is sign of your ignorance and racist attitude. For god's sakes, you don't even know where I come from originally - the world is very mobile these days you know? It is very easy to fly from one continent to another.... Besides, your comments about HK are incorrect but I will not argue with someone who's only ever been here on a budget pensioner's holiday many many years before. Start commenting about other countries when you've been to and lived in as many countries as I have - recently.

FYI I made no bold statements, you're the one who made bold statements, here and everywhere else....must I remind you of your feable attempt with Lightman and Mich, your fellow CDI fans? In case you've not learnt in your life, there can be two sides to a coin, and story, I was merely giving the other side in the interest of remedying a "bold statement" made by your goodself. I wouldn't even start to cloud the issue with my "mechanical experience".....oh btw, I have personally rebuilt a number of cars in my very own garage (.....in another country, before you start rambling on with your flashback of HK! ) but I don't think that's relevant or necessary to back my case.......I don't give a toss whether anyone gets the K&N or not, so why would I even bother to give bogus advice in the first place...get real, please. What interest do I have in giving an advice? Do I get money, do I get fame? NO!!!!!!!

Unlike you, I do stand to be corrected and would admit it if that's the case. However, I will not tolerate idiotic responses that misses the point completely, especially those that ramble on with 30-year flashbacks of what could have been.......

I rest my case!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Ive used K&N for two yrs now,it did improve throttle response right off the bat.Haven't had any issues as yet and would use it again. Its a clear cut case of "to each his own".Why dont one of you start a Poll? Get the people involved?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:08 AM

2000 E320 Sedan
I do nto think K&N will dramatically increase power !! how much are we talking about, 1 to 5 hp more !!! The factory airfilter lasts between 45k to 50k miles depending on climate of course.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:07 AM

e320 99
Has anyone tested their perfomance? 0-60? 0-100? It definately gives off better sound effects. Has anyone checked their oil for those metals that have been mentioned? I think that is the best way to figure this out.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM

W212 & W210
Originally Posted by E320Star
I do nto think K&N will dramatically increase power !! how much are we talking about, 1 to 5 hp more !!! The factory airfilter lasts between 45k to 50k miles depending on climate of course.
45k-50K on stock air filter? I don't think so. More like 10K - 15K depending on enviroment.

I have the K&N Filter as well and have not had any problems at all.
Maybe the problems that are reported are from people that applied the oil after the initial use period.

I am not sure about the HP advantage but the throttle response is noticeable.

Everyone has a right to express their opinions. After all, it's up to the individual to make their own decisions anyway.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:48 PM

Interesting stories and some may just have some merit to them and get more recognition if only you were less offensive and stubborn.

Firstly you should learn to read between the lines, hey this time it was a simple paragraph with proper spellings . I have nothing to prove to anyone nor do I need to.

I did not get the K&N because of advertising or this forum. What I stated were facts -

1) I use K&N,
2) I've had no problems with them and
3) I have noticed a little performance enhancement.

Besides, your long stories merely demonstrate your lack of confidence in the matter. I do not need to prove to you or anyone with long stories, stories that I too can just fabricate but if I were to do so, I would at least try to use examples with more relevance (e.g. how the hell can you compare the use of a cone filter with what our cars use?).

Your repeated reminders of your age is another sign of your insecurity. Do you think age automatically gives you the right to respect and attention? It is something you have to earn.... I advise seasoned CEO's around the world everyday, most are willing to learn and discuss but those with an attitude like yours simply get fired.

Your repeated reminders of my location is sign of your ignorance and racist attitude. For god's sakes, you don't even know where I come from originally - the world is very mobile these days you know? It is very easy to fly from one continent to another.... Besides, your comments about HK are incorrect but I will not argue with someone who's only ever been here on a budget pensioner's holiday many many years before. Start commenting about other countries when you've been to and lived in as many countries as I have - recently.

FYI I made no bold statements, you're the one who made bold statements, here and everywhere else....must I remind you of your feable attempt with Lightman and Mich, your fellow CDI fans? In case you've not learnt in your life, there can be two sides to a coin, and story, I was merely giving the other side in the interest of remedying a "bold statement" made by your goodself. I wouldn't even start to cloud the issue with my "mechanical experience".....oh btw, I have personally rebuilt a number of cars in my very own garage (.....in another country, before you start rambling on with your flashback of HK! ) but I don't think that's relevant or necessary to back my case.......I don't give a toss whether anyone gets the K&N or not, so why would I even bother to give bogus advice in the first place...get real, please. What interest do I have in giving an advice? Do I get money, do I get fame? NO!!!!!!!

Unlike you, I do stand to be corrected and would admit it if that's the case. However, I will not tolerate idiotic responses that misses the point completely, especially those that ramble on with 30-year flashbacks of what could have been.......

I rest my case!

Taking your uncalled for comments one by one:

No, you do not need to prove anything to anyone. Just ramble on like an idiot, and pay no attention to the facts like you have done in most of your 3255 posts.
Some people just love to talk, even when they don't know what they are talking about.
How can anyone make over 3000 posts in such a relatively short period of time, and say practically nothing?

Tell all of us how you learned about the K & N filter? If it wasn't here or from their false advertising, how and where? I know, it just magically appeared in your mind, therefore it must be good!

Fabrication you say. Showing how dumb you must be. Why would I go to the trouble? Some here may find what I said interesting. You do not. Why? I guess because someone else that has had experience with those filters differs from your point of view. No one likes to be told that he has made a mistake and wasted money, but that is what one does if he gets sucked in to false advertising. Run that oil analysis like I mentioned, and have an expert explain to you what the numbers mean, and then perhaps you're just barely smart enough to understand what using the K & N product is doing to you expensive engine.

Quote: e.g. how the hell can you compare the use of a cone filter with what our cars use?
Here again you show your ignorance! If you took the time to investigate what I said and examine one of those cone shaped filters, you would have discovered that it is made of exactly the same material as the one that you are using, only shaped differently!
Good enough for catching large bugs, but that's about it. Down to how many micron do you suppose that filter will trap? Whatever it is, it is not small enough to catch dirt which is what is known as silicon, but you already knew that didn't you, I'm sure!

Another point you mention:
Evidently you never went to school and learned that history is the best teacher. Too bad, because you have missed out on plenty. My examples were things that I actually learned the hard way, as in "from the school of hard knocks." Too bad that you have such a closed mind and cannot accept the facts as they actually happened to me. Talking about an "attitude?"

Quote again: Your repeated reminders of my location is sign of your ignorance and racist attitude.
What does your location which I guess to be HK have to do with anything? Are there any drag strips or even any places to even street race. Are there any tuner shops or companies that specialize in building fast cars or doing those types of modifications anywhere in the area? That's why I mentioned HK, and for no other reason.
Your race? Did I mention race? I don't think so. Do I detect a soft spot here? Do you feel that your race makes you inferior? I don't know and surely do not care about your race. No, I don't know where, nor care where you came from originally. If you are what I think you are, I'm surprised because you do not seem to be very smart.

Lived in many countries? You don't know how many countries I've visited and/or lived in, nor do I know or care about where you've been or lived.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Quote: someone who's only ever been here on a budget pensioner's holiday many many years before.
How do you know how I got there, and when for that matter, or how much dinero I have? There you go again showing your ignorance!
It just so happens that I was not retired either time I went to HK as a side trip from the Philippines, and although you may not know this, HK is noted for being a good place to shop, or at least it was back before the takeover. The first trip was part of a local religious group; My second trip was only to purchase an Icon 781 because I could save several thousands of dollars by getting it there. Do you even know what an Icon 781 is?

Quote: I wouldn't even start to cloud the issue with my "mechanical experience"
Please tell us, as I'd like to hear about all that experience that you eluded to.
Seriously now, I doubt that you have very much, else you'd know what I'm talking about when it comes to filters and oil analysis. And as far as those two twits that you mentioned, I've forgotten more than the two of them combined know. Always consider the source.

As far as you resting your case, I say to you: What case?
For you've not proved anything about the K & N filters. As least I gave some good examples; What do you have to offer us about the K & Ns?

Old 01-24-2005, 03:49 PM

2000 E320 Sedan
What Tha &%^$%$%$ is this!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:04 PM

Question What is what?

You're able to read, so read it, and judge for yourself!

I wasn't about to let that ... go on like that, and not answer him. That's not my nature. :v

Old 01-24-2005, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never said dramatic,if its 2,3 or 5 hp,its saving fuel and Im for it.Add the longevity of the thing,over 1 year and its paying for itself.
As for the hp,who doesnt like more pop when you smack the engine?
I wont even touch the mileage/replacement thing.

Originally Posted by E320Star
Old 01-24-2005, 05:25 PM

2000 E320 Sedan
Keep it clean brother, keep it clean. U validated him by responding to him. Leave him alone with a class of his own brother.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Always clean,sometimes lean,like sand in vaseline
Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by stemags
Always clean,sometimes lean,like sand in vaseline
Hahahhaha, like one guy's sig says, "Never argue with idiots, they will lower you to their level and beat you at it with experience".....its like talking to a brick wall, except this one misses the whole point and is stupid to boot, "no tuner shops in HK", "no drag strips".....bah(hey did you do those tests in a vaccuum btw? Fool!

Hahahha, this guy has flashbacks and repeats what he says in his feable attempts to retaliate and discredit someone....Grandpa, what makes you think you are the king of MBW btw? go back to Fred's or whatever, if that's where you think the "wealth of information" is....or were you ousted from there too?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...2&page=2&pp=10

Now how much real advice have you given here lately and people have been happy with them? You seem to be avoiding this question.....I wonder why?

Last edited by Whitey; 01-24-2005 at 10:08 PM.