E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Hella lens for projector headlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Hella lens for projector headlight

If everything go as planned, I'll be receving few pairs of Hella projectors (used on the W211). These are the high quality one, being used for both halogen and xenon headlight in the W211 (new E serie). This is the only type of lens that fit straight in the Depo projector.

If you have Depo projectors, regardless of whether you've upgraded to xenon or run with halogen, the comon problems with them are: two narrow light beams from each headlight (very anoying), weak light, hot spot, and weird beam pattern. They make driving at night become highly anoying, and dangerous in some case. Because of this, some tuner shop have stopped selling Depo projector headlight, due to complain and worry about liability. The Hella lens would fix most, if not all of these problems. I believe a combination of Hella lens and Depo projector is a good enhancement to the W210, but that's my personal preference.

I am offering these Hella lens for sale, in pair. I think I'll probably ask for around $100-110 each, depend on condition and detail being worked out between me and the guy who supplies the light. For those who live locally, or don't mind to ship in your light to me, I also offer service of retroffiting the lens into the Depo headlight, or fixing problem with it. I don't know how much to ask for right now, all I know is that it takes 2-3 hours of tedious work on a pair of headlight, just to retroffit the lens in. PM me to discusss about retroffiting fee. If you want to do it yourself, I'll be happily provide you instruction, free, of course. The price of the lens is my cost, so they're not negotiable. Also, I would like to receive money as I hand you the goods (learn my lesson, a fellow forum member took the part, told me would pay me later, never heard from him again )

Notice that this Hella lens is a thread one, that mean if you upgrade Philips Blue Vision, or Xenon with 4300K bulb (best one), it'll give the car the purple look from far & angle, but very bright & white light close on (as seen in Audi, Bimmer, and new Benz). There's no need to put on painted bulb to have that purple effect (and those who know xenon know that they spell "fake xenon" up front. The purple look on real xenon is on certain angle & distant, with projected light in white color, not all time purple & blue light projected as with painted bulb or high temp xenon bulb ), well, my 2 cents.

I also offer to retroffit bi-xenon projectors into the Depo headlight, but it's so much work (the base won't fit, have to make quite a few custom mount part), the end result is awesome, especially with the bi-xenon projector from the Audi A6/RS6 or BMW new 5/7 serie, but I'm not sure it's worth it to you to pay someone to do it (mucho $$$$). If you wanna do it on your own, then it's probably worth it.

For opinions on how the light work, you should check out w/ people who've done the upgrade.

Last edited by zam2000; 02-14-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Schnitzer E46
Sounds awesome! I live in SoCal now, so... how much would it cost (parts + labour) for the Depo projector and the Hella projectors from you?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:30 PM

E430,S500
Sent you a pm.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you PM me. Btw, I am not selling the Depo headlight w/ Hella lens installed. If you have Depo projector headligh, you can send them to me and I do the job. If you haven't purchase one, then you can pay me to buy the Depo headlight, fit in the lens, and send them to you (save a shipping cost of sending the unit to me), but then, again, you don't know how you can accept the Depo lens quality. Some find it totally acceptable, some don't.

Originally Posted by eLemnt | 0ne
Sounds awesome! I live in SoCal now, so... how much would it cost (parts + labour) for the Depo projector and the Hella projectors from you?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:25 PM

2003 e320
I have the stock headlights on my 1997 e 420. Can you put together a good projector set for me and how much. It will have to be shipped to me in South Florida.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For those that interest in the whole package.

Autodynamic (SoCal) has the projector headlight for $400 + sale tax (7.75%).

A pair of Hella projector will run you about $100

I've seen some place on eBay have the projector for $350-360, but they really ripp on shipping & handling.

Anyhow, this's a large initial money. If any of you want to purchase the whole pakage, then you really have to pay this sum amount up front. You can either have me buying the unit, perform the retrofit for you, or pay for it and have it shipped to my address.

Whether you would like to have the lens retrofit or not, the 1st of work you should do is to seal the projector. Depo doesn't do a very great job for it. I can do it for a small fee.

For those who're interest, PM me for lens sealing & lens retrofit fee. If you think you can do it (sealing the lens is easy, retroffiting the lens is a bit tougher, but I can provide you instruction, or refer you to those who have done it), I highly recommend that. Save you money (&probably time), not to mention you might be enjoying working on it.

To be honest, I prefer local, just to save people the packing & shipping cost & quick turn around.

I was told that I might be able to receive 4 pair of W211 projector headlight next week, along with one bi-xenon pair.

With just with basic cost, you could see how I spent almost $1K on my headlight (Depo headlight + RS6 bi-xenon projector + Pana ballast + philips xenon Bulbs + philips Blue Vision high beam bulbs + 3M lens projector film, not to count labor), it's worth every penny at the end, but lot of work along the way . Even my wife think it's worth it !!! (I've seen so many, myself included, spent $$$$$ on one type of halogen blue bulb after another, with lame result, at the end, all are crap. Blue/purple look is made by projector lens, not stupid painted bulb)

Originally Posted by mercedeslover
I have the stock headlights on my 1997 e 420. Can you put together a good projector set for me and how much. It will have to be shipped to me in South Florida.

Last edited by zam2000; 02-15-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Good stuff...I'm ready when your are
Old 02-17-2005, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I would receive the following by next week:

- 3 (probably 4) Pairs of Hella projector from the W211.
- 1 Pair of Hella xenon projector from the BMW 5 series, with bulb holder.
- 1 Pair of Hella bi-xenon projector from the 2004 W211 E55
- 1 Pair of Stanley projector from the Lexus RX330
- 2 Pairs of Philips D2S 4300K
- 1 Pair of Bosch ballast (from the same E55)
- 1 Stanley Ballast.

Except for the Stanley projector from the Lexus, all are 90mm projector, so they fit the Depo shroud (chrome ring) perfectly. All should be in good condition.

If you have Depo headlight, and are not happy with its quality, you can upgrade. PM me for price and install fee.

The easiest (and probably most economical sense), is simply upgrade the Depo projector with the Hella lens from the W211. This and Philips Blue Vision is more than sufficient to lighten up the road and give your headlight the purple look from angle/away. If you go w/ Philips Vision Plus (I think I have one pair), it's closet to HID in term of brightness.

Next step is to upgrade w/ the Hella projector from the BMW. You must upgrade to Xenon ballast/bulb, it's best if you have them already (to save cost). This would require (quite) more work, to fit the base of the projector into the Depo housing

Next step is to upgrade w/ the reputable E55 bi-xenon projector. I would recommend keeping the halogen H7 highbeam as well, that way, high beam will be w/ both xenon and halogen, bright as aircraft landing light :v :v :v

I don't know how the Lexus projector will fit into the Depo shroud, gotta wait til I receive it to know. Anyone who have seen the RX light at night know how good it is.

I only recommend Philips/Osram 4300K bulb. Anything higher is mostly for show, at the sacrify of lighting brightness.

As for now, I've received rsrv from 4 persons. Those who've contact or dealed with me know that even if you snipe on eBay on the last second, chance is you still pay more on the eBay deal . Btw, those w/ rsrv to have part installed take higher priority w/ purchasing only (since I make almost no money on them). Instruction is always free

I'll wait til I receive the shipping before I confirm.

Will post pix next week.

Originally Posted by Richard023
Good stuff...I'm ready when your are
Old 02-17-2005, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC Schnitzer E46
I already have xenons... so, me having xenons already would affect how you would install it? how much more would it be...? :s
Old 02-20-2005, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you're just retrofitting the lens, you can reuse the xenon ballast & bulb (if you have D2S), and save money.

Parts are in, here're pictures: E39 xenon projector, W211 projector, W211 bi-xenon projector, Philips D2S bulb, Stanley Ballast, Bosch ballast & ignitor.

Btw, for contact, pls email me at hhbk@yahoo.com , since it's hard to exchange msg via PM (pix & link don't work)

Originally Posted by eLemnt | 0ne
I already have xenons... so, me having xenons already would affect how you would install it? how much more would it be...? :s
Attached Thumbnails Hella lens for projector headlight-xenonprojector.jpg   Hella lens for projector headlight-w211projector.jpg   Hella lens for projector headlight-e55projector.jpg   Hella lens for projector headlight-stanleyballast.jpg   Hella lens for projector headlight-boschballast.jpg  

Last edited by zam2000; 02-20-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Philips D2S 4300K Bulb
Attached Thumbnails Hella lens for projector headlight-lightbulb.jpg  
Old 02-20-2005, 03:27 PM

96´E280 6.cyl
So, for who has the OEM Xenon, which bulbs you recommend for upgrading?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AC Schnitzer E46
Which is the best lenses? The E55 one or the BMW ones?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Zam2000-
Don't know if you recd my PM yet but I'm good for the w211-bi projectors,
understanding that the mount holes will match right up to the mounting
posts of the Depo housing. raymond-
Old 02-21-2005, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Raymond

The W211 bi-xenon has same size and shape as the one in the Depo headlight. The mounting point for the shround is identical. BUT, for patent &trademark purpose (must be), depo has to make their projectors a bit different than the Hella ones, and guess where the difference is: mounting point !!.

With a bit of work, you can fit the W211 bi-xenon into the Depo, I just want to be up front that it won't be straight fit-in.

Email me (hhbk@yahoo.com) for price of the W211 bi-xenon, also, if you want me to install it for you, pls let me know. Whether you or I do it, the base have to be custom mounted.

Btw, I've seen at least 3 case where people purchase the "A6" projector from eBay, only find out it won't fit (too short & too small)

Originally Posted by raymond g-
Zam2000-
Don't know if you recd my PM yet but I'm good for the w211-bi projectors,
understanding that the mount holes will match right up to the mounting
posts of the Depo housing. raymond-
Old 02-21-2005, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by zam2000
...... Btw, I've seen at least 3 case where people purchase the "A6" projector from eBay, only find out it won't fit (too short & too small)
Grrrr, make that 4 now. So let me know if you have any Hella projectors for D2S still available at $100. That would be my first choice. If not, I'll consider the E55 bi-x. Can install myself. raymond-
Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 Bi-xenon: SOLD.
Three pairs of W211 projector: SOLD (1 pending payment).
One pair of D2S: SOLD.
Stanley ballast: sale pending
Bosch ballast: sale pending.

One pair of W211 projector pending transaction confirmation.
One pair of E39 xenon projector left.
One pair of D2S left.

It'll be few week before I get the next batch, if any. Btw, price will rise a little for the W211 headlight on the next batch. There's not much fun selling things at cost.

<b> Please do not PM me for request on retrofit & lens, I don't check PM often. Email me at hhbk@yahoo.com </b> b

THanks all.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Zam,

Got your email, hit you right back!

If weather permits, I'm shooting for Thurs. lunchtime @ W. LA. I'll give you a buzz on the cell to confirm.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Instruction for those who have bought projector (either from me or elsewhere), and look to retrofit it into existing Depo headlight.

Since the Depo is already a projector type, you only have to worry about the part of open up the headlight & mounting it. No cutting or making up panel.

This guy did an excellent job in write up. Neither him nor I should be held liable for what happen to your headlight

Instruction for retrofitting projector into headlight

Be careful, not to get burned or melt your light.

Last edited by zam2000; 02-23-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Huy, you got mail!