E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

iPod/satellite radio connection for E320 (2001)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 320 (2001)
iPod/satellite radio connection for E320 (2001)

A lot has been written about iPod connections. Griffin's iTrip (which I own) is a huge disappointment, cassette adapters are not satisfying (if you want to use one without closing the cassette cover, you can always plug the right hand hole, but it's rather tacky) and even the much touted FM modulators which are attached directly to the FM antennas are far from satisfactory. Icelink.densionusa.com offers an integration kit, but it costs about $400.00. Soundgate and Blitzsafe offer AUXILIARY INPUT CONVERTERS, but they don't come cheap either and don't appear suitable for most E320... In some cases you have to sacrifice the CD altogether, which is OK (who enjoys having to stop and open the trunk?). I would like to know if some of you have something they want to share... Any suggestion would be highly appreciated! Best,

Chris in Miami
Old 03-01-2005, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
I have done the tape adapter and it's proven to be a successful way to go at it. I can close the tape door by rigging the cable... I'll show you how it's done when I complete a full writeup on how to install XM on a W210 using your stock system
Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM

13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
I have bought the following product, I am awaiting shipping and will post my review when done installing.

http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes/SLK/m...pter/index.htm
Old 03-03-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
I have the aux input with the COMAND System, but for some reason the volume is very very low when using my mp3 player. I wish I knew if there was some way to adjust it up...
Old 03-03-2005, 07:21 PM

2000 E320
I know this sounds stupid, but maybe try turning the volume on your mp3 player up?

That's what works for me in my other car when I run my mp3 player through it's AUX inputs, jacking up the volume on the player compensates for the low volume on the other end, then I can up the volume on my stereo without having it blast my ears out when I switch to radio or CD.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by BT320
I know this sounds stupid, but maybe try turning the volume on your mp3 player up?

That's what works for me in my other car when I run my mp3 player through it's AUX inputs, jacking up the volume on the player compensates for the low volume on the other end, then I can up the volume on my stereo without having it blast my ears out when I switch to radio or CD.
Well I tried that - and it helps somewhat, but not enough to keep from blasting my eardrums when I change back! It just needs more power...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by hpilot
I have the aux input with the COMAND System, but for some reason the volume is very very low when using my mp3 player. I wish I knew if there was some way to adjust it up...
There is... install an inline amplifier to boost the signal going into the auxiliary input.

-s-
Old 03-03-2005, 10:57 PM

E 320 (2001)
Originally Posted by sbarsap
I have bought the following product, I am awaiting shipping and will post my review when done installing.

http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes/SLK/m...pter/index.htm
Thank you for your input. Is this cheaper than Soundgate or Blitzsafe? Interestingly, it does NOT disable the CD changer... Please keep us posted!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Daptin
Thank you for your input. Is this cheaper than Soundgate or Blitzsafe? Interestingly, it does NOT disable the CD changer... Please keep us posted!

I have not looked into soundgate or blitzsafe.
For me, I don't see a point in buying the dension, too expensive thats why I said I will try the bipes first to see how it works, I am not impressed with the Monster FM transmitter I currently have. The Bipes adapter doesn't use the stereo controls for volume, it connects directly to the bose amp. I guess you will have to control sound from the ipod itself and the stereo will have to be shutoff.

Mercedesshop.com said I can return it if I don't like it or it doesn't work with my car. I will let you know as soon as I install it, still awaiting shipment.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I made an aux port out of my OEM stereo, and now can hook anything to it. Use cassatte mode for it

A lot has been written about iPod connections. Griffin's iTrip (which I own) is a huge disappointment, cassette adapters are not satisfying (if you want to use one without closing the cassette cover, you can always plug the right hand hole, but it's rather tacky) and even the much touted FM modulators which are attached directly to the FM antennas are far from satisfactory. Icelink.densionusa.com offers an integration kit, but it costs about $400.00. Soundgate and Blitzsafe offer AUXILIARY INPUT CONVERTERS, but they don't come cheap either and don't appear suitable for most E320... In some cases you have to sacrifice the CD altogether, which is OK (who enjoys having to stop and open the trunk?). I would like to know if some of you have something they want to share... Any suggestion would be highly appreciated! Best,

Chris in Miami
Old 03-06-2005, 06:50 PM

2000 E320 Sedan
Better way to use the tape adapter

Originally Posted by The Doctor
I have done the tape adapter and it's proven to be a successful way to go at it. I can close the tape door by rigging the cable... I'll show you how it's done when I complete a full writeup on how to install XM on a W210 using your stock system
What I did was remove the stereo and insert the cassette tape adapter and routed the wire out the back (so the tape door closes). I bring the wire out at the ash tray. Here are some pics showing my portable XM MyFi radio and how it connects.

Install

The stereo head requires a tool you can find cheap on ebay, really very easy to do.

Bob
Old 03-14-2005, 04:36 PM

I installed the Bipes over the weekend and it did not work with my car, I am suspecting it's becasue of the Fiber Optic cabling in my 01 E430.

Luckily mercedesshop.com is going to refund my money.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

I made an aux port out of my OEM stereo, and now can hook anything to it. Use cassatte mode for it
Sounds just like what we want. How??

I have a Kenwood Sirius receiver and FM modulator. I have instructions as to where to pick off line level audio in the modulator box. I did that with the same set I have installed on my 2002 Goldwing motorcycle. The bike's audio system does have an AUX input on it which is a blessing in itsself. Mercedes got a little behind in that department.

Regards,

Brian - Yakima, WA
Old 03-14-2005, 07:31 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up Zam2000 - sounds great!

Hi, Zam. Did you post a process for this? I'd love to have a mini connector like the COMAND setup offers.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 03-25-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by sbarsap
I installed the Bipes over the weekend and it did not work with my car, I am suspecting it's becasue of the Fiber Optic cabling in my 01 E430.

Luckily mercedesshop.com is going to refund my money.
How much was that Bipes thing?? I have a 94 E320 that it sounds like it would work in.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by skiier3_9
How much was that Bipes thing?? I have a 94 E320 that it sounds like it would work in.
$119.00

http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...ry=MP3+Adapter
Old 04-15-2005, 06:19 PM

E 320 (2001)
The solution

When I started this thread in February, I was a little disoriented. Now I know a little more. In fact, I have solved my problem. First of all, it is worth repeating that FM modulators are NOT an acceptable solution. Tape adapters are also out of the question, because if you have a premium sound system (such as Bose) you want only the best. Believe me, the difference between those quick and cheap fixes and what I now have installed is huge. This is what I have done: I have ordered a Soundgate Aux MB1 from Logjam Electronics. It does not come cheap, but the service is friendly and extremely fast. Also, shipping is included and I paid no taxes. I paid $259.95 + 105.00 for the installation at my local Circuit City. It's understood that I had to sacrifice my CD changer (the control now commands my iPod), but it was a stupid idea to locate it in the trunk in the first place, so happy riddance. I probably could have done the installation myself, but I did not have the proper key and know-how to remove the components from the dash board. I got rid of the (removable) ashtray below the radio and connected an additional (movable) cigarette lighter connection. The original lighter still works, but the new one is hidden behind the scene. It is connected to an iPod charger. Also behind the scene, a monster cable is connected to the Aux MB1 right and left jacks. The business end of both wires (iPod charger and monster cable) fits neatly through the openings in the back of the ashtray housing. This way, I am able to store my 40GB iPod in the space formerly used by the ashtray. It is connected and charged at the same time and the compartment door can be maintained in the closed position if I feel like it. To hear music, I select CD. Obviously, you must play with both volume controls (iPod and sound system) but you already figured that. Problem solved. Thanks for your input!

Chris, now a real estate broker in Miami.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:58 AM

'84 911 Carrera & '01 E320
This sounds like an excellent setup.
Why couldn't this be connected to the line level for the tape unit allowing you to keep your changer?
What did you do with the CD changer?
+++
Old 04-16-2005, 10:11 AM

Chris,

When you say you control the ipod through the cd changer controls, I assume you mean just the audio comes through there? Or can you actually use the headset to control the song selection?

Abe
Old 04-17-2005, 08:53 AM

E 320 (2001)
Originally Posted by dan_cobb
This sounds like an excellent setup.
Why couldn't this be connected to the line level for the tape unit allowing you to keep your changer?
What did you do with the CD changer?
+++
To lose the CD changer is a prerequisite. For this particular car and year, there is simply no other way. Therefore the line level for the tape unit was not an option. I bought my E320 used and the changer was simply not there.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 AM

E 320 (2001)
Originally Posted by duckwood
Chris,

When you say you control the ipod through the cd changer controls, I assume you mean just the audio comes through there? Or can you actually use the headset to control the song selection?

Abe
Abe,

To listen to the iPod through my Bose sound system, I must select the CD button. I control the iPod directly, just as I would if I was listening through the headset. There is no perfect solution (unless you own a brand new iPod ready Mercedes) but this is, in my opinion, the best option.

Chris
Old 04-17-2005, 09:11 AM

E 320 (2001)
One final word: what I obtained is a direct connection to the system amplifier and I chose to plug in my iPod. I could use that same connection to connect a satellite radio, without sacrificing any quality. You look at those Sirius and XM ads and they claim you can connect their receivers to ANY FM stereo. That implies you have to connect to a "blank" FM frequency. However there is no such thing as a blank frequency: most of it is white noise but I suspect there are some interferences.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Abe,

To listen to the iPod through my Bose sound system, I must select the CD button. I control the iPod directly, just as I would if I was listening through the headset. There is no perfect solution (unless you own a brand new iPod ready Mercedes) but this is, in my opinion, the best option.

Chris
The Dension IceLink (search in the Audio forum here) gives steering wheel/radio controls of the track/playlist, but no song info on the W210. That might be a somewhat better solution for W210 owners, and also uses the CD changer "slot" on the head unit. It is more tailored towards the iPod, but does not allow expansion in the future for a satellite radio, other MP3 player, or something else.

Also a COMAND upgrade is more expensive, but does give the hardwired auxiliary input and allows for replacing the CD changer at a later date as well.

-s-
Old 11-02-2005, 03:25 PM

2000 ML55 AMG
2000 ML55 Ipod

Anyone ehave any experience with adding an AUX input to MLs?
Thanks
Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E320 4matic 92K (bought 12/20/06). 2000 E430 4matic (RIP 12/9/06) :(
zam, don't you find using an iPod with the cassette adapter makes the sound seem distant and less crisp? I get a lot more bass and low-end sound (but not in a good way - meaning LACK of treble) after following the DIY.

Just so you don't think I'm an ingrate, thanks for posting the process It worked real well. I'm just not so sure about the sound, it'll take some getting used to...it's interesting, being used to having just the cd changer for years in my cars, it's actually going to be an adjustment using the iPod in the car now, if I can get the sound right!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod/satellite radio connection for E320 (2001)