Urgent - xenon question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320, 2004 C240 4Matic, 2001 S430
Urgent - xenon question

Guys

My body shop offered me the opportunity to purchase a xenon kit from a Lexus (bulb size E1 I think) which they say they can make fit inside my housing. I talked to my service advisor and they can reprogram the car to recognize the kit. The price is insane so I can't pass this up without making sure that it's an absolute idiotic idea. Question is - is the difference between (low beam) bulbs just the shape of the bulb or is it more than that? I think the kit has 35W bulbs (same as our H7s, correct)? Is there anything more to worry about? Fittment (if they say they can do it) should not be a problem - these guys are a "Pimp My Ride" kind of operation, I'll post pictures of my car with the Carlsson kit molded onto the original bumpers and other mods that they did for me.

Thanks,
Sergiu
Old 04-17-2005, 03:13 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
What is your objective here? If you just want headlights that look cool (blue), stuffing some Xenon bulbs in the holes will probably do the trick, assuming your "Pimp my Ride" shop includes the power supplies as well as the bulbs.

However, M-B Xenons include a leveling mechanism, which almost certainly won't be included. They also include adaptive aiming hardware, which swivels the beams to better illuminate where you're headed. Again, not likely this will come with the Lexus kit.

If you go for this, I'd sure want an understanding with the shop that the headlights will function to your satisfaction before paying the bill. You might also ask if your headlights can easily be put back to stock configuration if the outcome of the conversion isn't pleasing to you.

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Right, no self-level kit is included, it will be just a xenon bulb/ballast in a hallogen light assembly.
Thanks for the info,
Sergiu
Old 04-17-2005, 05:52 PM

2013 w204 C350
If its anymore than like 300.00 I'd say its too much. Xenon kits are extremely cheap these days, even ones with Hella ballasts.

fazooley
Old 04-18-2005, 12:44 AM

It's $250 installed. I think I'll do it.

Sergiu
Old 04-18-2005, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by intrinsico
It's $250 installed. I think I'll do it.

Sergiu
What US laws govern the 'dazzling' of other road users? Xeon lights should come with a stabilization kit that will\should prevent the lights from dazzling other road users. If this kit has indeed come out of a Lexus then I am certain it will have this facility. If it doesn't then I would take their sales talk with the proverbial pinch of salt.

Passed experience has taught me that you get 'What you pay for'.

Mercedes-Benz active headlights (swivel right\left) are a bi-xeon option and are certainly not standard in Europe. (Bi-Xeon however are standard on Avantgarde models)

Have a nice day.

John
A beautiful sunny, cool morning in Torquay
Old 04-18-2005, 09:31 AM

One more question about Xenons - they were showing me how they work and hooked them up to a battery. They looked good but were also very very hot, is that normal? Can they melt the (original) halogen housing?

Thanks,
Sergiu
Old 04-18-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500, Viper, and other less-fun stuff
I don't know what they might or might not melt, but massive heat is a normal characteristic of xenon lights. I've seen thick glass lenses that shattered from the heat -- I personally wouldn't trust them anywhere near plastic or composites which weren't explicitly designed with them in mind.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by intrinsico
One more question about Xenons - they were showing me how they work and hooked them up to a battery. They looked good but were also very very hot, is that normal? Can they melt the (original) halogen housing?

Thanks,
Sergiu
Not only could they melt your H7 housing, but they could melt the wiring harness. Mercedes will be glad to fix it for you and charge you a small fortune. Also, you had asked if the 35w draw of the new Xenons was the same as the H7, well the H7s are 55W and the retrofit will tell your MFD that you have burned out headlights.

I have retrofitted OEM Xenons to my car and I changed all the lights/housings. My headlights are a 2003 model that do have a self-leveling system, but since my car does not have the rear suspension sensors, they are not adjusting. I have simply aimed them a bit lower than normal (which is still higher that some factory set W211) and I have never been blinked at. Even with a full trunk.

Another issue you might have is that the current light bulb housing might not stop the refracting of the brighter light and blind cars. I don't know if both projector beams are the same or not.

I would only do this retrofit if the place that does it stand behind the product and will give you your money back if it does not work out. However, I seriously doubt they will fix anything they melt.

Steve
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by SAguirre
I would only do this retrofit if the place that does it stand behind the product and will give you your money back if it does not work out. However, I seriously doubt they will fix anything they melt.

I was going to post a similar message, but before submitting it I checked my mail, lo and behold you pipped me to it.

I echo your fears and would not want to not voice those concerns. A $250 upgrade might need a $600 repair.

John

A beautiful sunny afternoon in Torquay