E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dyno mode, 03 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyno mode, 03 E320

I've searched the forums and tried to get this damn car into dyno mode but to no avail.

Did the 1 click, press odom reset 3x + other junk...didnt bring up the screen.

Did the 1 click, press odom reset and hold ~40 seconds til beep....it did beep but I couldnt get it into the correct screen to enable dyno mode.

Help! I'm a video producer and my friend is letting me use his 320 in the video, but we cant get the rear wheels to break loose without shutting off all the electronic "assists".

Thanks

- Tyson
Old 05-15-2005, 03:10 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Turn off ESP and armor all the tire treads.

You will get plenty of wheelspin.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:25 PM

Find or spend on a modified 500 or stock 55, then you have better chances of rear wheel spin.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by thearle
Find or spend on a modified 500 or stock 55, then you have better chances of rear wheel spin.
Not too many people are willing to lend their $90,000 car out to whip donuts, especially up here in Minnesota where S500s are fairly uncommon. Just driving the E320 people stare and oogle like you are some kind of high roller...yet you go anywhere else and the S500s are just as common as a ford taurus.

But really, anyone who can point me in the right direction for the traction control..please help.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I was being totally serious - I've done some great donuts and drifting with just esp turned off in snowy/icy conditions.

Just turn off esp and use some kind of slippery stuff on the tires and you'll light them up with ease.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
To get where you want to go you have to turn the ignition key to the first notch when the center display in the speedometer (the MFD) is on either the outside temperature or the speed.

So, when you have the MFD on this setting, then you turn on the ignition switch to position one, then you have to press the reset button very quickly 3 times. This is the only way to get into the menu. You should see a voltage readout. When you are in the voltage readout you can then switch screens within that menu to the ESP and trac off mode.

If you accidentally got out of the menu, you can still toggle back to it just like when you switch from outside temperature to trip computer to telephone mode as long as you don’t take out the key. It takes some getting used to the menu set up.

A word of WARNING! Getting the dyno mode off is no big deal, you WILL have two errors in the Malfunction menu right away: ESP off and ABS off, this is not an error, but the car is telling you that the systems are deactivated. Also, you WILL have at ABS idiot light on. This will all go back to normal once you activate the systems again.

Second WARNING! You better write down what the setting on the Dyno mode was before you activate it. It is a b1tch to get it back on again. I have always gotten it back on after I was done playing with the car, but I can't tell you exactly what I did. I know, however, that it involves selecting the dyno mode to turn off (so everything turns back on) and then you have to turn the ignition on (not start the car, but turn the key one more notch).

I strongly recommend you turn the traction control and the ESP off, since even with the ESP button pressed, the system will still work and fight itself. The ESP off button only makes the system turn one later in the skid.

I do a lot of armature stunt driving in the winter and I love the fact I can turn the electronic aides off. I am sure that you will be able to smoke the tires out just fine on a RWD E320, but I would also strongly recommend spraying Armor all on the treads, it will spare the car from too much abuse. Since my E is a 4 Matic, I have not even entertained the idea of spinning out.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM

Thanks Steve!

Originally Posted by SAguirre
but I would also strongly recommend spraying Armor all on the treads, it will spare the car from too much abuse
Steve
Its a lease Full coverage AND a full warranty, what better combo!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by Schnit
Its a lease Full coverage AND a full warranty, what better combo!
This is exactly why no one should ever buy a used lease car (or a demo)
Old 05-18-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Hello....

an E320 is a 4,000 +/- car with a 3.2 liter V6. That's a big motor for a riceburner but not much for 2-tons.

Wanna burn out? Get a GTO or Mustang, or like some said, E500 or E55.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by cdiken
an E320 is a 4,000 +/- car with a 3.2 liter V6. That's a big motor for a riceburner but not much for 2-tons.

I agree, my old 300E would burn out a little if I really gave it hell. I did it twice, left foot on the brake and right on the gas. Also, it could chirp the tires when it shifted to second gear when the tires were old and the pavement was a bit wet. I was 20 at the time and the 300E was 2, so I was stupid for doing it. The E lasted 11 more years but I never did it again since it was OUT OF CHARACTER for that car. When I brought that car up to Colorado, all the power was gone and the car became barely adequate. There is between 5 and 15% loss of power per thousand feet in elevation!

With the 4 Matic and at least 5,000 feet of elevation at all times even with 50 more horses, the W211 feels just a bit faster than the 300E did at sea level. However, spinning out or chirping the tires on dry pavement is impossible. I am sure I will really notice that the E320 is a lot faster when I bring it down a few thousand feet. But the 221 HP engine is probably running at 190 HP around town and maybe at 160 HP up in the mountains.

But anyway, I also agree with Bud's comment about buying lease returns. On another thread, someone said that they only ran the cheap fuel since it was leased. I would only buy a used Mercedes from someone I know.

Steve
Old 05-18-2005, 11:41 PM

C 230K Coupé
Uhm it's totally possible to burn that car out, but uh putting it into dyno mode won't really do it. You need to add some brake. Hold the brake down hard rev it up and then drop the brake, that should get some tire spin. Another great way to really get everything smoking is to apply a little bit of brake to lock the front wheels a lil and let the rears spin.... this is a lot easier on a stick then an auto... gl though
Old 05-20-2005, 12:51 AM

Those cars are for pussies.

Here's a burnout I did a few months back for the video....Yes thats me in the car, yes I work for Schwan's.

http://www.mwwb.com/stuff2/nascar.wmv
I think that is the most expensive car used in ANY burnout/car video ever produced =)

So yes, I do know what a real car can do for burnouts.....but as far as car videos go, the more abuse you can do in the video the better.

I also host a yearly event properly titled 'The Rubber Haters'

Here was my car's contribution to the event.

http://www.mwwb.com/stuff2/280zxburning.WMV

So yes, I know that sometimes you gotta give it a little brake to get a good burnout =)

Last edited by Schnit; 05-20-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Schnit
Those cars are for pussies.

Here's a burnout I did a few months back for the video....Yes thats me in the car, yes I work for Schwan's.

http://www.mwwb.com/stuff2/nascar.wmv
I think that is the most expensive car used in ANY burnout/car video ever produced =)

So yes, I do know what a real car can do for burnouts.....but as far as car videos go, the more abuse you can do in the video the better.

I also host a yearly event properly titled 'The Rubber Haters'

Here was my car's contribution to the event.

http://www.mwwb.com/stuff2/280zxburning.WMV

So yes, I know that sometimes you gotta give it a little brake to get a good burnout =)

I would like to see your videos, but when I poen them it just comes out as junk.

Steve
Old 05-26-2005, 01:06 AM

C 230K Coupé
Videos worked for me... oh and about the most expensive car doing burnouts... i saw steve saleen doing a burnout on his saleen s7 on mtv ... and buncha brabus tuned cars etc. doing sum too
Old 10-21-2009, 08:03 AM

W211 E320, W209 CLK 200K
Originally Posted by SAguirre
To get where you want to go you have to turn the ignition key to the first notch when the center display in the speedometer (the MFD) is on either the outside temperature or the speed.

So, when you have the MFD on this setting, then you turn on the ignition switch to position one, then you have to press the reset button very quickly 3 times. This is the only way to get into the menu. You should see a voltage readout. When you are in the voltage readout you can then switch screens within that menu to the ESP and trac off mode.

If you accidentally got out of the menu, you can still toggle back to it just like when you switch from outside temperature to trip computer to telephone mode as long as you don’t take out the key. It takes some getting used to the menu set up.

A word of WARNING! Getting the dyno mode off is no big deal, you WILL have two errors in the Malfunction menu right away: ESP off and ABS off, this is not an error, but the car is telling you that the systems are deactivated. Also, you WILL have at ABS idiot light on. This will all go back to normal once you activate the systems again.

Second WARNING! You better write down what the setting on the Dyno mode was before you activate it. It is a b1tch to get it back on again. I have always gotten it back on after I was done playing with the car, but I can't tell you exactly what I did. I know, however, that it involves selecting the dyno mode to turn off (so everything turns back on) and then you have to turn the ignition on (not start the car, but turn the key one more notch).

I strongly recommend you turn the traction control and the ESP off, since even with the ESP button pressed, the system will still work and fight itself. The ESP off button only makes the system turn one later in the skid.

I do a lot of armature stunt driving in the winter and I love the fact I can turn the electronic aides off. I am sure that you will be able to smoke the tires out just fine on a RWD E320, but I would also strongly recommend spraying Armor all on the treads, it will spare the car from too much abuse. Since my E is a 4 Matic, I have not even entertained the idea of spinning out.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Hi Steve, i know this is an old post. But i tried to do it on my car and it still doesn't work
I have tried everything from the insert key, 2nd pos, back to 1st pos, press reset button 3 times and your procedure but it still doesn't work have any clue?
any help appreciated =)

Hendra
Old 10-21-2009, 09:37 AM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"

Unless you have a few dead bodies in the trunk, its not quite 3,500 lbs...
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Seems like a lot of posts and PMs coming to me about dyno mode.

There is a video in post#2 showing how to do it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ld-i-know.html

This is the exact same procedure for all 4 of my current MBs.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HE22WA
Hi Steve, i know this is an old post. But i tried to do it on my car and it still doesn't work
I have tried everything from the insert key, 2nd pos, back to 1st pos, press reset button 3 times and your procedure but it still doesn't work have any clue?
any help appreciated =)

Hendra
I did not check the video, but I hope it helped. you do need to hit the reset button rather quickly.

Steve
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Just turn switch your CI to the temp. display, turn the key one click then push the reset button 3 times rapidly and you are good go to. No playing with the key like shown in the video.