E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What Suggestions to MB for Improvement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
What Suggestions to MB for Improvement?

After a recent exchange with MBUSA, I was asked what things could be improved in the E-Class. I was caught somewhat off-guard and will submit a list. Most are low/no-cost suggestions - any additions?

- Extend the plastic door sill over the fabric door threshold.

- Back illuminate the headlight switch (yet the keyhole for the glove box, door handles, etc. are illuminated!).

- When calling up a seat memory position, use one touch of the memory button instead of holding it down until everything adjusts.

- Allow a customer setting to program the headlights to turn on when the wipers are engaged (required in many jurisdictions and already on my wife’s Chrysler).

- Allow glove box illumination without key in ignition position.

- Designate one of the 12v power connections to “hot” when the car is off (or set up a timeout for this; again a current Chrysler feature).

- A louder horn.

- Resolve the inability of Dynamic Drive seats to remember their settings - and move the switches to some location the driver can see!

- Do something about the “dye-transfer” issue with the leather.

- Put some padding on the new center console.

- Install a 12v outlet inside the console so phones can recharge when stoed there.

- As to Sirius radio, allow a steering wheel search through “favorites” instead of all stations; make the tuner retain the last setting for screen details (artist, station name, etc.) instead of returning to the big display of the station each time the radio is turned off; integrate hide the antenna.

- Allow a driver-selected default (high or medium) for the fan “auto” setting for the A/C. Again, this is a Chrysler feature.

- Come up with a reasonable price structure for cell phone integration. Can you imagine how many units they’d sell if this was fairly priced?

I think it’s a relatively short list considering the features and technical complexity of this excellent car.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Do send that lit in. It is intellegent and right on. They do however, have the belief that they build the greatest vehicle in the world, and that no one could possibly enhance an MB design, who isnt already employed by MB. (A severe shortcoming) None of your requests are "user specific" which means they would benefit all drivers around the world. They should also add:

Ability to scroll on steering wheel buttons to next pre programmed radio station, not only the next receivable station.

If they feel that the Satellite antenna they currently use to be the only one they will use, for technical reasons, at least make the caps on them available in all body colors instead of flat black.

Add voice vommands to the satellite portion of the radio. Currently there is no way to voice command the Comand unit to switch back to Satellite from say, the phone, or CD Changer, you must press the button labeled "Sat". There should be a spoken command available such as "Satellite" or "Sirius". Also there are no commands at all for station or channel numbers that can be spoken, such as "Channel one forty three", or "Channel Up/Down" "Category Up" or "Group Down" to switch stations as if you were using the round dial either by pressing it up/down or right/left to change stations or groups of stations.

The dynamic seat switches are in an almost ok position... the indicator light for when they are engaged is in an absolutely preposterous location. To see them you have to remove your head and place it on the floor facing rearward. If they cant find a better location for the passenger seat's indicator light, at least let it display momentarilly in the cluster just like the drivers seat does, when it is engaged.

Dash button LED's are all red, although sometimes when they are lit, it means a system is off and somtimes it means a system is on. It should be uniformly indicating either on or off, or use different colers for on & off.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-21-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY MB WAS LEMON'D
..... and a user option to turn off that damn night light in the cabin
Old 05-21-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by john doe iii
If you're talking about the ambenit lighting system, the intensity can be adjusted or it can be turned off completely via the multifunction display. Depending on the version of your owner's manual, the instructions are around page 162.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 274 Likes on 166 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
MBUSA told me they could not accept suggestions unless..

I had a patent on the idea first. MB is so arrogant that they can't even accept a friendly suggestion without engaging an attorney. I still love my E500 and SLK350.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by john doe iii
And an option to electrocute owners that fail to read their manuals...

Individual keys are programmed for specific seat settings but if one driver is short and the other is tall........ It would be brilliant if the seat settings worked whenever the car is unlocked via the remote.

Regards,
John
Old 05-21-2005, 03:26 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by TPAbnz

- As to Sirius radio, allow a steering wheel search through “favorites” instead of all stations; make the tuner retain the last setting for screen details (artist, station name, etc.) instead of returning to the big display of the station each time the radio is turned off; integrate hide the antenna.
You're serious (NPI) about the presets, right? If you want to go from (hypothetically; I'm an XM person) Sirius Channel 5 to Sirius Channel 95 by the steering wheel, you would actually have to press the "up" button 90 times? Thanks to satellite radio, the reductio ad absurdum of the W211 steering wheel preset screwup has come sooner than anyone might have expected.

My wife wanted to use her XM MyFi portable receiver in the car, so I ran the wire for its car antenna from the center console area to just in front of where the rear window meets the rear package shelf, inside under the glass. The XM antenna is 1" x 1 1/2" in size and it works just fine on both satellite and ground repeater signals. Why does Sirius need a big ugly black box on the trunk lid?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
- Back illuminate the headlight switch (yet the keyhole for the glove box, door handles, etc. are illuminated!).

- When calling up a seat memory position, use one touch of the memory button instead of holding it down until everything adjusts.
Besides the headlight switch, also the power seat switch.

Concerning the memory position, I think that this is a safety feature. Say for example, someone reset the position for your memory button that is dramatically different from where you want it to be. You could hurt yourself, or if it was done while car is moving, you could lose control of the vehicle. By forcing you to hold down the button, you are in control while the adjustment is being made.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I thought also about safety, however Lexus has one touch system. From other side you can't operate Lexus navigation when move, but can MB. Asians and Europeans have different understanding of safety.
My suggestion to MB to reconsider algorithm of downshift.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:46 PM

2005 E500 4-matic
Additional ideas to pass along:

1. Reliability, reliability... did I say reliability -- I had to take my brand new (1 wk old, with less than 500 miles) E500 4matic in for unexpected service two days ago when it suddenly whent into "limp home" mode, stuck in 1st gear, and the Check Engine light came on. Though fixed quickly, I mourn my loss of innocence and absolute confidence; now every time I drive, there is a concern something else might go wrong.

2. Another pet peeve is the MB satellite radio antenna. MB can do better than the ugly monstrosity they currently have. Either change the antenna to one that goes on the top, like everyone else, or that can be located on the back shelf (as I had done on my now sold C320) which works quite well.

3. Agree with previous comments on the center console. It's a less comfortable armrest than the one on previous models; though after driving the car for several days now, I am getting used to it.

For me, reliability is the main issues. The others are quite minor as I do believe, when working properly, that this is the best sedan -- bar none, not even the S-Class -- in the world.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ogostus
For me, reliability is the main issues. The others are quite minor as I do believe, when working properly, that this is the best sedan -- bar none, not even the S-Class -- in the world.
Reliability is being addressed BIG TIME. In the UK, my dealer will now accept the word of any owner complaining about the rarest of intermittant faults and replace any suspect part.

It is the 'minor' things that will always be the achilles heel. Your message highlights that point exactly. *****The others are quite minor***** It could be that your dealers take the same atitude??

A few of the issues relate solely to MBUSA and NOT to the rest of the World so it might be wrong to blame Mercedes-Benz who are merely complying with requests from an importer of their excellent vehicles.

From reading the many, many threads on this forum in general the standard of American after sales service sucks big time. I say this with the greatest of respect and in the hope that constructive lessons might be learnt.

Servicing:
This is predictable and can be booked in advice. I can have my car collected from either my home or place of work, an E-class or similar courtesy car left and my car returned having been serviced and properly valeted. This service is free. (the price for having the car serviced will be the same) The driver that collects the car is always a retired, ex Police Traffic officer who simply enjoy driving nice cars (NOT at speed )

Problems:
We have the free Mobolio life time warranty for break downs but do have to pay for repairs after the first three years. I have called on this service once when our car refused to start. The technician arrived very, very quickly (The nearest dealership is an hours drive from my house) The vehicle was given a very thorough check with Star Diagnostics, a new battery fitted, ALL the electronic options were checked to make sure they were working, the car was then taken on a short test drive to reset the tyre monitor and all was obviously done under the warranty. We also have a free 30 year bodywork warranty which comes wth all new Mercedes-Benz (and only Mercedes-Benz offer this)

Other minor electronic problems have been simply booked in with the dealer and the usual courtesy car left and ours taken away for repair. (car returned fixed and valetted)

This is the type of service I expect, and the type of service YOU should expect.

In all fairness there are dealers in the UK that do not meet this standard, but I simply would not buy a vehicle from them. Service prices are generally a fixed price but are more expensive in bigger cities. I live in a rural area where the prices are allegedly amongst the cheapest.

Good luck with your letter, but remember it is the little things that matter

Regards,
John

A wet morning in Torquay
Old 05-22-2005, 01:06 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Excellent list, Mark! To it I'd add:

-Make the E500 brakes standard on the E320 - 350 series as well

-Purchase an E39 5 series BMW and copy its implementation of Key Memory, rain-sensing wipers and remotely closing/opening the windows and sunroof. These features are hopelessly inept on the E-class.

-From the E39 BMW, also copy its delightful steering, or at least fix the E class steering's lack of caster return at low speeds and its overall numb feel.

-Revise Comand so that audio and nav functions can be independently turned on and off.

-Vastly improve the North American nav database and its route finding algorithms. My nav system is so inept and untrustworthy that I no longer use it. It worked very well while in Europe, so I know it can be done.

-Make the Sport option available on the CDI.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by khaug
Make the Sport option available on the CDI.
What do you guys call the 'Sports' option. Is there anything on the 'Sports' option that my CDI lacks(see my signature)

I could have specified the full AMG option package for the vehicle with the exception though of the exhaust.

Can you guys get the 320CDI estate yet?

John
Old 05-22-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by glojo
Individual keys are programmed for specific seat settings but if one driver is short and the other is tall........ It would be brilliant if the seat settings worked whenever the car is unlocked via the remote.

Regards,
John
If that were the case, when you unlocked the door with your remote, the seat would move into the driving position, as soon as you pressed Unlock. The "Easy Exit/Enter" Feature of this option is that the seat would be far back when you enter/exit so it is easier to get in & out. Having the seat go to the driving position when the door is unlocked and unoccupied, as you approach the car makes it more dificult to get in, not easier! Cadillac lets the owner of the vehicle select whether the feature works with the remote unlock or key in, and if you try it both ways, it is immediately apparent that moving the seat to the driving position before you get in & buckle up is counter productive. The seat should move into the drive position whith "key in ignition" or pressing Start w/ keyless go, even when the seat position is set to key dependent. You logically still want the seat back & wheel up when you get in & out for your own key.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-22-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The "Easy Exit/Enter" Feature of this option is that the seat would be far back when you enter/exit so it is easier to get in & out. Having the seat go to the driving position when the door is unlocked and unoccupied, as you approach the car makes it more dificult to get in, not easier! .
For once you and I are in agreement and perhaps when unlocking the car or indeed locking it the seat should go back to the stops. (European stops, not the short US version)

When a very short driver gets out the seat at present is not far enough back for a tall, long legged driver to get in. At present once the tall driver gets in closes the door and inserts the key the seat goes back to the 'remembered' position. Your legs meanwhile are neatly tucked behind the back of your head!!!

Whatever my remarks, or yours, my opinion is that the system needs a major rethink.

John
Old 05-23-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Stop the keyless go beeping. I have my damn key, just like I always do. Shut up!!!

Oh, and on the seat memory, BMW also takes just one push to get your desired spot. It's not a European thing, it's a Mercedes thing.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
-Purchase an E39 5 series BMW and copy its implementation of Key Memory, rain-sensing wipers and remotely closing/opening the windows and sunroof. These features are hopelessly inept on the E-class.

-From the E39 BMW, also copy its delightful steering, or at least fix the E class steering's lack of caster return at low speeds and its overall numb feel.
actually, i find the Mercedes implementation of seat adjustment to be the easiest to use. i can assure all of you that Merc would never make seat adjustment "one-touch". the safety issue highlighted above is the foremost reason. heck, no matter what people say Mercedes still refuses to fit deadlocks on their cars.

I can't imagine what's wrong with the rain-sensing wipers? At least in tropical Malaysia and Singapore they are spot on, every time. I've never tried them in the USA so perhaps different rain throws it off?

As for the steering, agree it could be better then again, Merc already have a better steering system in the CLS -- they most definitely do not need to take apart an E39 -- oh wait, they probably have hundreds of those in various states of reverse engineering in their labs

What I think needs to be changed is the glovebox: it is really difficult to close, at least in my model year.

In the end it is service, service, service and reliability, reliability, reliability that Mercedes absolutely MUST address. I've more than one friend who switched to LS or RX (from W220 and W163) simply due to the service standards, although one of them hates and criticises the Lexus every time we talk about it! Yet he's sticking to Lexus until Mercedes can do a better job on those fronts. Perhaps they already have: but once burnt, it's hard to get customers back.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:27 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
Originally Posted by glojo
And an option to electrocute owners that fail to read their manuals...

Regards,
John
Spot on for both suggestions!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:33 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Standard Bi-Xenon lighting. I don't know of anyone who would not accept a base price increase if this were a standard feature on all M-B's.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 PM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
NAVIGATION IMPROVEMENTS: Increase the constantly displayed information on the nav screen, just like the ML has. e.g. time of day; estimated time of arrival (and toggle to time left to destination); and street, city and state of the vehicle's current location. Let the damn thing accept a speciific house number instead of the range; improve the accuracy of the thing (technology allows within a few meters). And add voice control to the nav system. Oh yea, I guess a 3D (bird's eye) view would be nice, as exists in other MB models.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
# 1 - Divorce Chrysler

# 2 - Divorce Chrysler

# 3 - Divorce Chrysler
Old 05-25-2005, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HotWheels500
And add voice control to the nav system.
Yet another option removed by MBUSA!!!!

If you do a search on Linguatronic You willl find a full list of the commands that are available for the navigation system. Before the last upgrade, voice command was the only way of going to the full Postal Code address. We could only to the street and not the house number.

Voice command has always accepted the full address.

John
Old 05-25-2005, 08:12 AM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
I could be wrong, but I don't believe we have Linguatronic for navigation here in the States. Just another feature this doppy MBUSA CEO decided we didn't need. I'll poke at this morning and let you know. Hope you're right.

D i c k (I write the name this way cause withouit spaces, the forum doesn't like ****)
Old 05-25-2005, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HotWheels500
I could be wrong, but I don't believe we have Linguatronic for navigation here in the States. Just another feature this doppy MBUSA CEO decided we didn't need. I'll poke at this morning and let you know. Hope you're right.

D i c k (I write the name this way cause withouit spaces, the forum doesn't like ****)

Sorry HotWheels for not making myself clear, you certainly do not have the full Linguatronic option, just the very cut down version. Just like SBC. I am merely saying the car has the option, but your MBUSA has decided for whatever reason not to fit it into your vehicles.

The complaint is justified but it should not be directed at Mercedes-Benz.

Good luck though,
John
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 AM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
glojo: I'm not certain your right about not addressing the complaint to MB. After all, who do you suppose hired Paul Halata (MBUSA CEO)? Seems to me, Germany should have an input into the features to be offered in the US... and should take an interest in customer input from the States. I think a significant portion of their global sales are here. Oh well, just venting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Suggestions to MB for Improvement?