Radio & CD - max volume seems low

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Radio & CD - max volume seems low

Guys,

I noticed today that the max volume on my stock (non HD) radio is not all that loud (i realize this is relative!). My cd changer is even lower than the radio. The audio level of the cd is definately lower than the radio - so if the radio was set to a certain volume, if i switched to a cd, it would sound lower than the radio, regardless of the cd i'm playing.

Anyway - is this due to my stripper radio (base) or is there a audio level setting that the dealer may be able to adjust?

thx for any input.

Aceman
Old 06-19-2005, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
I noticed the same thing. I recall the sales man telling me "if you listen to loud music, you'll need the HK system, otherwise you don't need it" so I skipped it, since I like my music at a moderate level... but this is a bit too much. I usually listen to classical and even turned up to the max volume (no indicator so I have to guess) its not very loud.

I am going to call my dealer and see about getting that fixed, maybe there is a solution. Seems very weak, even for stock.. when you consider stock stereo's on Kia's are louder than that.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Try turning the knob more, since it doesn't have indicator you probably hasn't reach max yet. Maybe you have damage the speaker somehow, my stock E class sound system is freaking loud (non HK, and yes i have the cassete one), almost as loud as my aftermarket ICE in my C class.

For me, E class stock sounds are the best stockies i've listen so far, mid bass is super punchy, tweeter is very bright, listening to them at high volume will give u hearing damage i reckon. It's loud enough to vibrate my leg and seat. I reckon the stock HU is the weak link, they will start to sending noisy signal at fairly high volume.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
In my opinion the sound system (HK or Non-HK) is one of the weak links in this car. I have the HK and am sorely disapointed in the application.

Asside from the known issues.....
- Cracking from the front speakers from time to time on some signal paths...

The max volume is again TOO low. At 3/4 volume the rear subwoofer cracks with every bass drum hit (quite an anoying sound). And that stupid auto volume thing... volume goes up and down depending on the ambient noise levels.

Bit of a rant... but considering it's a 60K car, I think they could have done better.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:54 PM

2005 E500 / 1993 MR2 Turbo
Originally Posted by aceman
Guys,

I noticed today that the max volume on my stock (non HD) radio is not all that loud (i realize this is relative!). My cd changer is even lower than the radio. The audio level of the cd is definately lower than the radio - so if the radio was set to a certain volume, if i switched to a cd, it would sound lower than the radio, regardless of the cd i'm playing.

Anyway - is this due to my stripper radio (base) or is there a audio level setting that the dealer may be able to adjust?

thx for any input.

Aceman
If it doesn't sound right to you, thats all that matters. I'm sure that your car is still under warranty. I have the Harmon Kardon system with CD slot in the head unit and the 6 cd changer indash. It sounds great, like listening to a ensemble symphony live. Anyhow I'm not sure about the regular systems, but most stereo systems come stock with a pre-amp, giving more juice to the sound traveling to the speaker. Without this extra amplification, it wouldn't matter how many watts your speakers are, they wouldn't be enought power to pull it off, it would sound kinda faint. I don't think you're speakers are blown. You'd probably notice a blown speaker, trust me you can tell.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does anyone know if there is a "plug-n-play" amp for the stock stereo? and if so, how many watts can we take it up to for those stock speakers?

Or simply, does anyone know what the stock system has for speakers and power output?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Sorry to bring back up such an old topic!

I have had my 05-E-500 for a week. Great car. Love the ability to play MP3's not only on single CD but on the changer as well! With that, I don't need to worry about the Ipod. Still trying to find a Sirius to XM converter. Blitzsafe says check back in the fall.

My stereo is not the Logic 7. I too notice that the volume is not as loud as my previous E-430. You have to have loud for older Sabbath and newer Children of Bodom! Is this an amplifier issue? Is there something behind the dash, under a seat, in the trunk, etc. that I can upgrade to make my ears bleed?

Any help appreciated!
Old 07-09-2005, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chemsales
Sorry to bring back up such an old topic!

I have had my 05-E-500 for a week. Great car. Love the ability to play MP3's not only on single CD but on the changer as well! With that, I don't need to worry about the Ipod. Still trying to find a Sirius to XM converter. Blitzsafe says check back in the fall.

My stereo is not the Logic 7. I too notice that the volume is not as loud as my previous E-430. You have to have loud for older Sabbath and newer Children of Bodom! Is this an amplifier issue? Is there something behind the dash, under a seat, in the trunk, etc. that I can upgrade to make my ears bleed?

Any help appreciated!
been there and done that.... no upgrades available unless you want to tear out the whole thing and start over! Very frustrating. One this I did notice is that my CD's are quieter than the Radio... wonder if the CD isn't run thru the Amp?