well known CDI owners...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
well known CDI owners...

I just read that ***** Nelson bought a CDI and runs Bio-diesel in it - I wonder how that runs?

I also read that Pat Goss (famed Motorweek Mechanic on PBS and syndicated) drives a CDI around MD. Good to know that someone with his mechanical background believes in this car

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101010_pf.html

and then there's me of course!

Anyone else hear of any celeb types driving a CDI?
Old 07-23-2005, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by CE750
I also read that Pat Goss (famed Motorweek Mechanic on PBS and syndicated) drives a CDI around MD. Good to know that someone with his mechanical background believes in this car
Here's a Pat Goss quote that hits the nail on the head...

From a purely financial perspective it is always better to repair than to replace. However virtually every replacement vehicle purchase is based on desire rather than economics. People get tired of what they're driving.

I guess I'm not normal. We drove our 190D for 17 years, my '91 300E is 13 years old and we'll probably drive the E320 for 10 years (it isn't built like the old ones).
Old 07-24-2005, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Ce750

I also saw the Willie Nelson press on his CDI. He runs the car on 100% bio-diesel. Something to consider...Willie's CDI is in Hawaii, where temps are consistent and warm. Ditto for you in Phoenix, I suppose, at least in the summer. The problem in most other places is cold temps and gelling/separation of the fuel. People here that use a high percentage (over 20% or so) biodiesel have heated tanks and must start on pure diesel in the winter, then switch over.

Another consideration...Willie is loaded and is trying to make a statement, so he may not be as concerned about damaging the high-pressure (23,000 PSI) common-rail direct injection pump. I have serious concerns about the lubricity of biodiesel in high percentages when subjected to that extreme pressure in conjunction with the super-close tolerances in the pump required to generate such pressure.

Not sure about celebs, but I would venture to guess we are some of the youngest CDI owners, I notice your DOB as 1970, mine is 1973; mbusa demographics project typical owner to be male and 57 years old for the E320 CDI in the US, DOB 1948 or so, when diesel did not even power most trains, yet.

KB

Last edited by cdiken; 07-24-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E230 CDI
not well known, but...

I'll second the younger owner stat., as for Willie and the biodiesel, I'll run it in my dodge Cummins turbo diesel, but not my MB, yet anyway.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:13 PM

Hey Flint, GREAT color choices, inside and out.

You have the colors I wanted, but avoided, for fear of heat!

How is that dark car treating you on hot sunny days? I shied away from dark colors and I'm a lot farther north.

The Flint is an awesome color, not too many around. I would much prefer it over pewter, but am paranoid that the slightest scratch (esp a long one, like from a tree branch, would show up).

I went the "light" color route and love it on hot days, A/C barely has to run to keep up. But I hate the upkeep on the Ash interior....any dirt at all and it looks like a sty.

PS.....you're a 1982 model....holy cow that is young for a CDI or any W211 for that matter. You obvoiusly bought the car to get the engine...my hunch is you would rather have a TDI Jetta than a gas E320. My current diesel fleet is...Lincoln Turbo Diesel (BMW motor...sweet). Mitsubishi-Fuso. Chev Duramax diesel. Oldsmobile diesel (POS, sold). Jetta Diesel...sold.

Off road: Caterpillar 247 multi-terrain loader. Deere 1600 Yanmar diesel mower. Kubota powered 6x6 mower.

Last edited by cdiken; 07-25-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:15 AM

2005 E230 CDI
cdiken,
I love my color combo, The flint isn't really that dark and pewter is much lighter, but I don’t think it will show scratches, at least not as bad as my 05' Cummins did, (but then again it was black on black). The was no way that I was going to get anything besides charcoal on the inside thought, I can't imagine what a PITA anything else would be to keep clean. On the hot days, and they been 105*f w/ the heat index, are rough, but the tint, sunshade, and car cover make a world of difference. And yeah, out of the seven soon to be eight vehicles I’ve owned only one was a gasser. I guess I got #2 in my veins.

BTW: Have you BOMBED the DURA-SLACK yet . Those things will run if you throw enough cabbage at them.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:07 PM

No mods on the DuraMax, yet.

Its a 2004 in a C5500 Kodiak truck. It is the LLY Duramax, 300 HP stock.

Can you recommend any tuning chips or boxes? Its a heavy truck, I would want more pulling, low RPM torque, not necessarily huge HP's. I would be interested in a tuning method that does not just increase fuel PSI, but actually is careful to not increase fuel PSI too much, and favor other issues like precise injection timing and drivability. Need to reduce the turbo lag if that is possible.

Big exhaust, yeay or nay?

Propane inj, yeay or nay? Plenty of room on-board for propane tanks.

Ken
Old 07-27-2005, 03:10 PM

2005 E230 CDI
try this

http://www.edgeproducts.com/chevy_duramax_lly.html

The juice is timing and duration. Which is what you want. You don’t want to screw with a pressure box.

The attitude is the juice with on-the-fly adjustability and a full digital gauge package. I had this on my dodge a great product if you're going to be towing heavy. I'll pm you my cell give me a call and we can talk about more of what you need.

Best regards

FlintCDI
Old 07-27-2005, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We're all moderately young for the car, I must admit.. but 1982! Wow, I admire your maturity. I'll be frank however, I went in to by an E-500 since they were blowing them out for about the price of a CDI.. but I simply loved the idea of a brute, reliable diesel engine under the hood of this E body too much.

I only wish I got the standard leather, and 4-zone climate of the E..

I understand that occasionally running Bio-diesel mix in your car can have a cleansing effect since it's more solvent like.. I would not want to run it too often either due to the lubricity issue. I have been looking into Red-Line as a once a month additive for added protection and preventative maintenance. I've had several MB mechanics (trained on CDI) say it would be a good idea. But MB will not officially back idea.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interesting side note.. I send Pat Goss an email asking about additives for the CDI about a week ago.. Well, God Bless him, I got a reply.

I don't have his permission (yet) to reproduce what he said, but in a nut shell... He loves his CDI, says it's the best car he's owned! I would say that's a pretty good endorsement for MB's current diesels.