Early W211 Interior Plastic problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211, W212
Early W211 Interior Plastic problem

Hello All,

I am just wondering if any of you have noticed the difference in Interior quality between the early and latest models of W211?

Mine was registered in 2004, probably a 2003 model in actual, and I noticed there are lots of tiny squeak coming from all over the front, center and back air con console, even at very low speed. Also noticed squeaks when going up and down Ramps in high-rise building parking lots. Its like subtle tik ... tik ... tik from many places.

When I use my index finger and lightly press on the big Center console vent, it makes some very iritating plastic squeaking noise. Same goes for the Back air con vents. The plastics feel very "brittle".

The worst being the Rear View mirror! The plastic behind almost feel like a piece of paper and would squeak like mad once I touch it.

I went to a dealer yesterday and sit in a new 2005 model, and did the same "finger" test on the same parts, and the plastic feel "thicker" and have much less squeaking noise. I think the material may be actually different, even that they look the same.

Can someone please confirm this? Is there anyway to solve this squeaking problem?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:02 AM

W211, W212
I am in the middle of deciding whether to trade my E240 (bought used) in for a BMW or a new E280. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
The latest W211's are build rock solid. I can't say the older one's weren't either.. but I would imagine as time goes by, the refine the building of various items due to learned experience. But, I would say that my W211 is built better inside than my friends new XJ Jag, and that's saying a lot.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:05 AM

03 E500
Originally Posted by Andrew88
Hello All,

I am just wondering if any of you have noticed the difference in Interior quality between the early and latest models of W211?

Mine was registered in 2004, probably a 2003 model in actual, and I noticed there are lots of tiny squeak coming from all over the front, center and back air con console, even at very low speed. Also noticed squeaks when going up and down Ramps in high-rise building parking lots. Its like subtle tik ... tik ... tik from many places.

When I use my index finger and lightly press on the big Center console vent, it makes some very iritating plastic squeaking noise. Same goes for the Back air con vents. The plastics feel very "brittle".

The worst being the Rear View mirror! The plastic behind almost feel like a piece of paper and would squeak like mad once I touch it.

I went to a dealer yesterday and sit in a new 2005 model, and did the same "finger" test on the same parts, and the plastic feel "thicker" and have much less squeaking noise. I think the material may be actually different, even that they look the same.

Can someone please confirm this? Is there anyway to solve this squeaking problem?
I have posted a DIY fix for pretty much all of the squeaking problems you described. It's a while back tho, so I don't know if the pictures are still up.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 E350 4Matic, 1990 300SE, 1984 190E, 1994 BMW 540ia
All said there is no doubt the quality of interior materials is super substantially less than the cars of the 80s/90s. High grade plastics make such a difference. I'll give them credit on design though.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
All said there is no doubt the quality of interior materials is super substantially less than the cars of the 80s/90s. High grade plastics make such a difference. I'll give them credit on design though.
I've said it many times before... the build quality of a 240D or 300D form 1980 and the build quality of my CDI are not in the same league.. BUT, that's not saying anything bad about the CDI (it's actually pretty damn good by todays plastic obsessed world standards)... it's more of a positive statement on the older MB's... they just don't make them like that anymore! Way ahead of their time!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:08 PM

W211, W212
Originally Posted by Dvinn
I have posted a DIY fix for pretty much all of the squeaking problems you described. It's a while back tho, so I don't know if the pictures are still up.

I have seen your post, I think. It was still up several days ago. I am not sure if should DIY or just get a new car. I seriously think the plastic in my car have some problem.

Can you do a quick test? Use your index finger and press it against the side wall of the Rear View Mirror, and apply slight pressure, as if you are going to kill a ant. Do you hear any squeaking noise? My does, very badly. It feel like the entire piece of plastic is so brittle. It feel cheaper than the plastic Tamiya use for the model cars.

So either my car has been parked under the sun for too long, while the dealer is clearing the custom (which could take up to 6 months), or it just have some bad plastics.

Do you think some kind of treatment like Armour All could help?

Last edited by Andrew88; 08-31-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:17 PM

W211, W212
Originally Posted by CE750
The latest W211's are build rock solid. I can't say the older one's weren't either.. but I would imagine as time goes by, the refine the building of various items due to learned experience. But, I would say that my W211 is built better inside than my friends new XJ Jag, and that's saying a lot.

I think the W211 is a well built car, comparing to all other cars in the same price range. Everything is great on this car, except for the suspension and plastic squeaking noise. Well, I live in Bangkok, I think we probably have the worst roads in the world.

Jag is not known for its interior quality, it uses a lot of Ford parts now a days. My grandpa has a 1963 E Type convertible, it is a beautiful car, inside an outside.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:27 AM

03 E500
I have seen your post, I think. It was still up several days ago. I am not sure if should DIY or just get a new car. I seriously think the plastic in my car have some problem.

Can you do a quick test? Use your index finger and press it against the side wall of the Rear View Mirror, and apply slight pressure, as if you are going to kill a ant. Do you hear any squeaking noise? My does, very badly. It feel like the entire piece of plastic is so brittle. It feel cheaper than the plastic Tamiya use for the model cars.

So either my car has been parked under the sun for too long, while the dealer is clearing the custom (which could take up to 6 months), or it just have some bad plastics.

Do you think some kind of treatment like Armour All could help?
I hope you are not serious when you said you are going to get a new E or is it a different car? Just because of some tiny rattles? My E class unfortunately is a 2003 build model so it does suffer from those tiny rattles you described. I don't think the DIY is that difficult to do and it makes a world of difference. My car is now whisper silent again. The rear view mirrors does suffer from the squeeking noise when I touch it, but it only make noise when I adjust it so I guess I can live with it.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:00 AM

W211, W212
I hope you are not serious when you said you are going to get a new E or is it a different car? Just because of some tiny rattles? My E class unfortunately is a 2003 build model so it does suffer from those tiny rattles you described. I don't think the DIY is that difficult to do and it makes a world of difference. My car is now whisper silent again. The rear view mirrors does suffer from the squeeking noise when I touch it, but it only make noise when I adjust it so I guess I can live with it.

I love my E, and I truly hope I can have it fixed too. Do you have a solution for the Rear Aircon vents (That piece of plastic attached to the back of the center console).

My car has the 4 Zone air-con, and the rear aircon vent is making the laudest squeaks, every 2-5 seconds of driving. It is made from the same plastic of the Read View Mirror case (just imagine).

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:18 AM

W211, W212

I went to a dealer today, and I checked some other customers' E class and found that they all have the same squeaky plastic problem as mine.

The dealer said they have some plastic treatment solution from MB that will restore the plastic back to new. They will do it for me for free and if it works, I can buy the solution for about $25 per bottle.

I will let you know if it works. I am keeping my finger crossed, hope it does the magic.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 PM

03 E500
I went to a dealer today, and I checked some other customers' E class and found that they all have the same squeaky plastic problem as mine.

The dealer said they have some plastic treatment solution from MB that will restore the plastic back to new. They will do it for me for free and if it works, I can buy the solution for about $25 per bottle.

I will let you know if it works. I am keeping my finger crossed, hope it does the magic.
Please do let me know if this plastic solution works or not. If this thing works could you post the stock # for this solution too?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
hmmm... my '03 was a very early one and it did have a bunch of other problems but squeaky plastic wasn't one of them.

The only noise that bothered me with that car (other than the SBS groaning) was the A pillar trim on the drivers side. Started squeaking @ 20K miles or so.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Almost a Member!

How is a "solution" going to work??? That makes no sense. Unless it is some kind of lubricant that will seep between plastic seems and quiet the creaking. (why buy theirs? May I suggest Wesson cooking oil?) It looks like the dealer (stealer) is trying to sell you some snake oil. Behind rearview mirrors, dash vents etc...these are all areas manufacturers cut corners nowadays to save costs. (places you don't think of or are out of sight) Materials in those areas can be downright Kia-like. I also noticed cheap plastic but thankfully all is quiet in my car. A "solution" isn't going to magically thicken the plastic!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM

03 E500
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
How is a "solution" going to work??? That makes no sense. Unless it is some kind of lubricant that will seep between plastic seems and quiet the creaking. (why buy theirs? May I suggest Wesson cooking oil?) It looks like the dealer (stealer) is trying to sell you some snake oil. Behind rearview mirrors, dash vents etc...these are all areas manufacturers cut corners nowadays to save costs. (places you don't think of or are out of sight) Materials in those areas can be downright Kia-like. I also noticed cheap plastic but thankfully all is quiet in my car. A "solution" isn't going to magically thicken the plastic!
There are chemicals that can make plastics harder or softer, so let's not be so quick to call it snake oil and give the dealer a chance to try it first.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:59 AM

W211, W212
Please do let me know if this plastic solution works or not. If this thing works could you post the stock # for this solution too?

Here is the result. The MB liquid solution does work. The plastic on rear view almost doesn't squeak anymore, and feel like new again. Quite a big difference!

The same solution was applied to other plastic parts, but doesn't solve the squeaking problem. I think the squeaking noice must have come from the clips that are not accessible (unless the console is taken apart.)

I would say for $25 a bottle, it is worth it.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Almost a Member!

I've given so much $$ to dealer's greedy mouths who gave false promises. It's usually a temporary fix. 9 times out of 10 I always come up with a better home solution. I wouldn't have invested $25 on a "solution". Unless he told me exactly what it is and showed me how it works. Sure, a plastic softener is a different story. But while softening the plastic may cure the creak, it makes flimsy plastic....well more flimsy don't you think? In this case though I guess it works out for you and you're happy so I can't argue.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 09-07-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:31 AM

03 E500
Thanks for the update Andrew. I am glad the dealer fixed the problem for you.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:09 PM

SL500 E320 ML350
No interior trim problems on my '03 E500 at all. Best E I've owned (out of 7 cars)!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What exactly IS this solution? Is it an MB part number? And how do you apply it? wipe it on? or dip the parts in? more info please..
Old 07-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Eclass w211
Can you please find me this link??

Can you please find me this thread?? Where did u post this link if it still alive?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Metas
Can you please find me this thread?? Where did u post this link if it still alive?
Bumping a 12 year old post by someone that hasn't posted on here in 11 years. Impressive.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Metas
See attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
68.10_53.pdf (204.0 KB, 130 views)
03-04 center spk cover.pdf (65.5 KB, 92 views)
center spk cover.pdf (133.9 KB, 76 views)
w211 Remove Top of Dash-1.pdf (654.0 KB, 179 views)
A-pillar trim.pdf (74.1 KB, 97 views)
w211 Remove Dash Trim.pdf (302.4 KB, 179 views)
Center speaker.pdf (47.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-27-2022, 04:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500, 52k miles
Impressive! The only yet very annoying problem I've had is little plastic "nubs/clips" breaking off - specifically the two plastic "ends" holding the drivers side vanity mirror in place as well as the plastic clips holding the two small triangular pieces on the middle console. They are part of the release mechanism so prolly more prone to snapping off over time; 61k miles. Annoying as heck given the rest of the interior is immaculate. I'm thinking about visiting my local MB Dealer just to hear his response.