E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

RESULT! My problem car being replaced!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RESULT! My problem car being replaced!!!

Those of you who have followed my posting: '2 weeks old and transmission parts needed' will know about the 7G tranny problems I have had with my new 320CDI. I reported to the forum yesterday, that despite a new transmission part being fitted just over a week ago, the car still has problems with changing up a gear. Frustrated by this problem, I emailed the Director of the Mercedes dealership yeaterday lunchtime. Around 5pm yesterday, I got a call from the General Manager apologising for the problems I had encountered. He agreed to replace the car and asked me if I would be flexible on the specification of the replacement, so that he could attempt to locate a car from stock around the country (UK that is) to avoid my waiting. At 6:30 yesterday, he called me again. He can deliver a replacement in 10 days. The car is the same specification as my current one except that it has grey leather instead of sand. It also has memory seats which my current car doesn't. He said that it does not have the upgraded alloys, but he would gladly swap these over when he receives the vehicle.

When I checked my email this morning I also received a very courteous reply form the dealer Director, stating that he was very sorry for any inconvenience and that he wanted to do everything he could to ensure that I was completely satisfied with their service. He also confimed that his general manager would replace the vehicle as stated to me on the phone.

WOW! result...my faith in human nature and good quality service has been restored!... PLEASE let the new car be OK!!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes all the way!
good to know that in some parts of the world, there is still something called good service =) i'm glad your problem is finally solved (hopefully - unless you're extremely unlucky!)
Old 10-27-2005, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Now that's customer service I would like to see more often!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 AM
rjm

Multiple
That's great news. That should rate FIVE STARS for Mercedes service. That was the best and most logical conclusion in your situation. Had they "repaired" the old one, you would always have had doubts if it was going to fail again. I hope that whatever caused the under-lying problem is not symptomatic of that series of transmissions. As there have been other posts with the same problem, I hope Mercedes addresses the root problem in the design so that it doesn't occur again.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:10 AM

11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
That is very good news. Now, can you ship that Director over to this side of the pond to give seminars to MBUSA execs?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
MBUK
Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Now only if MBUSA wasnt as arrogant. I wish MBUK ran things over here.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:56 AM

I have to say that it is the dealer who has offered this high standard of service and not MBUK directly. It appears from my conversation with the the dealer that they are prepared to take any loss or incovenience to maintain their reputation. They hinted that if they go through the MBUK HQ route, they would have 'played hard to get' on a replacemnet vehicle.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by latent
I have to say that it is the dealer who has offered this high standard of service and not MBUK directly. It appears from my conversation with the the dealer that they are prepared to take any loss or incovenience to maintain their reputation. They hinted that if they go through the MBUK HQ route, they would have 'played hard to get' on a replacemnet vehicle.
We'll unless they plan to pawn that car off on some poor unsuspecting soul, MBUK will come into it.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by CE750
We'll unless they plan to pawn that car off on some poor unsuspecting soul, MBUK will come into it.

Guess you are right. I would assume that they just wish to expedite matters quickly to please me as a customer, then sort out things with MBUK at a later date
Old 10-27-2005, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by latent
Guess you are right. I would assume that they just wish to expedite matters quickly to please me as a customer, then sort out things with MBUK at a later date
Good for them...

See if they can get you one of the I-6 powered CDI's. I'm sure they can't... but I'm sure being a much more mature platform, they're probably much more reliable.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 AM

I had a good experience with Lincoln replacing a Navigator with a bad AC system (I live in AZ... big problem). It went to the shop 11 times in 11 months for AC leaks.

The dealer replaced the car with a newer model and more options. (I paid for the additional options.) All is good now.

Unfortunately they sold the old car to some unsuspecting person who has continued to have problems with it. Bummer. At least it is not my problem anymore.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Wow I'm happy for you. Its depressing that those actions will never happen over here..
Old 10-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,448 Likes on 3,155 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Brav
Wow I'm happy for you. Its depressing that those actions will never happen over here..
I beg to differ they do and have on more than one occasion. As so very many have already stated good news seems to fall to the wayside, bad news well just check the view counts.

BTW, good for you latent!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:36 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Kudos to your dealer.

I'm glad to see that this looks like a story with a happy ending!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
I beg to differ they do and have on more than one occasion. As so very many have already stated good news seems to fall to the wayside, bad news well just check the view counts.

BTW, good for you latent!
They changed the website to reflect more accurate info that I pointed out was in-accurate, but they never so much as contacted me, or tried to make my situation right on TWO cars I bought from them. Sorry, you're not going to change my, or many other's here opinion on them. But I am sincerely glad they took care of you in any case. Just wish they'd make some attempt at doing what's right.. good will and all.

Last edited by CE750; 10-27-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Sorry, you're not going to change my, or many other's here opinion on them. Just wish they'd make some attempt at doing what's right.. good will and all.
I’m not looking to change anyone’s opinion – that’s what America is about you can have an opinion. That said, what exactly do “you” think they should do for you (in detail)? Come little Sammy, hold my hand, tell me what’s bothering you.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m not looking to change anyone’s opinion – that’s what America is about you can have an opinion. That said, what exactly do “you” think they should do for you (in detail)? Come little Sammy, hold my hand, tell me what’s bothering you.
real simple.. they said my seating surface was leather.. make it so.

Even if they have to transplant a full leather seat/back in place of mine.
You know why they won't though?

Think of the snowball effect of doing it... think of the possible class action lawsuits about other misinformed buyers who listed to the salesman's description.. think of the embarrassment of having it made public that they are selling cars for upwards of $60K with Vinyl seats.

If I'm being unreasonable... please tell me in detail why?

And please don't say "due diligence" as I already explained this.. but again, for the record here is my logic:

-I went off their website data, as well as Edmonds.com and other's (all of which said leather standard)
-I directly asked not one, but two separate salesmen at two separate dealerships while buying two separate cars, in two states what the difference in leather inserts and "leather" was...same answer.. "all your seating surfaces are leather, the door panels and headrests are not."
-the window sticker didn't say anything about "Front" leather seating inserts.. it just said "leather seating inserts".
-It was after all a Mercedes Benz, who would have thought?

What else would you have had me do? Call in a forensics lab?
Please don't beat around the bush, help me see the error of my ways..
Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Obviously cool heads prevailed.... Good for you Latent and congratulations.
I personally have no issues with MB or MBUSA and I'm completly happy with my car and service received. I'm sure your next car will be good to you...

NOW, I only hope MB boxes up your old tranny and installs it in rjm's next MB....
Old 10-27-2005, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Obviously cool heads prevailed.... Good for you Latent and congratulations.
I personally have no issues with MB or MBUSA and I'm completly happy with my car and service received. I'm sure your next car will be good to you...

NOW, I only hope MB boxes up your old tranny and installs it in rjm's next MB....
Joe (rjm) just sent me pics of his BMW 530 and Toyota.. stating "Eat Your heart out Sam!" ... I must say, that BMW of his is BOSS... but I told him... how do you go from driving that BMW to your Toyota without being let down?

As for your being 100% happy, great! but your E500 comes with a lot of stuff for the $58K, and the leather issue is moot, as you get full leather standard.. I'm sure if I'd gotten an E500 (and I came damn close!), I would have no claim to be upset at them. That said, I never said I wouldn't have been happy to buy my leather seats (had I not been lied to about them).

The good news is.. My next MB (if I go MB) will be a MAJOR headache for the salesman, but I'll make sure to check out every nook and cranny of the car before I write the check.

When I really think about it, I guess I'm mostly miffed at their stonewalling me is all while de-facto admitting guilt ..
Old 10-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Please don't beat around the bush, help me see the error of my ways..
As far as MBUSA they cannot be held liable. Legally you do not have a leg to stands on. Sam, for the record, and as much as you and most do not want to accept it here (once again as I have posted more than once) is the legalese:

If the dealer makes an oral or written promise to an individual buyer regarding features which would be included on the vehicle that buyer is purchasing and then the vehicle provided does not have these features, then that is a breach of contract. Since new automobiles are almost always sold with written contracts, it is up to the buyer to see to it that the written agreements include the promise for the desired features. If the buyer signed a purchase agreement without such a promise, than there is no breach of contract. For certain MBUSA advertising is irrelevant. It is all too common that auto buyers do not read the contracts they are signing and then find they include numerous provisions which protect the dealer from any kind of litigation over anything.

Forget edmunds.com they’re a third party entity. Do you still have the literature that claims the interior is leather or whatever you’re grieving? If so, the only possible goodwill gesture that you may be entitled to will be from the dealers you purchased each respective car from. You could possibly use the argument that you were misinformed by their salesmen. Mind you this comes down to your word against each salesman. There’s nothing in writing. You had said that your family was looking into buying a MB dealership. Well you should already know dealerships are franchises whether privately or corporately owned. Nevertheless, the franchise authorized to sell this product misinformed you and as such morally should make good. Don’t get me wrong not to the extent of receiving two new full leather interiors but at the very least possibly a service freebie or thereabouts in worth. For instance you had Schumacher install various accessories (granted because of close proximity to your home) but why didn’t you go back to Phoenix Motors where you bought your car for monetary assistance – a discount? Didn’t you say you were a car salesman at one time? Step back and think how best to remedy this “my word against his word” situation with the dealership. Bottom line, you have the advantage you were once on the other side of the desk. Start with the dealer who you think would be most agreeable then use their settlement to possibly better the settlement the next dealer.

Look I cannot shake a Magic 8 Ball and in an instant pull up a answer that gives total satisfaction. I can however, try to point you in the right direction. On one hand you say you adore your CDI and yet you repeatedly, consistently spew out criticism for MBUSA. Well lets step back a moment and think, who produced the car you love so much? The car whose mpg you are so proud to immediately brag about. Look I know as well as the next guy, it’s human nature to complain. Complaining soothes our disappointment on many levels and when others join in, well that simply makes us feel even better.

Next, so you were successful in having MBUSA correct a couple of online typos. Did you, in all honesty, do this for the benefit of others or expectant of reward? Listen, a cannot be more simple about this, stop complaining about every friggin’ little thing and move on to accept the car you purchased and welcome any goodwill you can get without burning any bridges. If and when you return to MBUSA to purchase again use this experience and adjust your judgment accordingly.

And of this don't help, use that 9MM of yours
Old 10-27-2005, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look I cannot shake a Magic 8 Ball and in an instant pull up a answer that gives total satisfaction. I can however, try to point you in the right direction. On one hand you say you adore your CDI and yet you repeatedly, consistently spew out criticism for MBUSA. Well lets step back a moment and think, who produced the car you love so much? The car whose mpg you are so proud to immediately brag about. Look I know as well as the next guy, it’s human nature to complain. Complaining soothes our disappointment on many levels and when others join in, well that simply makes us feel even better.

Next, so you were successful in having MBUSA correct a couple of online typos. Did you, in all honesty, do this for the benefit of others or expectant of reward? Listen, a cannot be more simple about this, stop complaining about every friggin’ little thing and move on to accept the car you purchased and welcome any goodwill you can get without burning any bridges. If and when you return to MBUSA to purchase again use this experience and adjust your judgment accordingly.

And of this don't help, use that 9MM of yours
I don't know your name.. so I'll just say Konig

Konig,

I don't know where to start... I'll just say this, and I'll keep it simple.

Legal foot is not my intent, I haven't filed suit, nor do I intend to. I have the means to do so, but it's not my way. I'm looking for a good will gesture. That's what I'm looking for.

You think I'm a schizoid about my MB
MBUSA... I don't know if you know this, but MBUSA isn't MB AG, and isn't DCX... they build nothing, they just buy and import cars (they spec) from MB AG. They're MB AG's biggest customer.

You said.. Burning bridges.
The only bridge being burned is mine not theirs.. Let me remind you of something.. I am the customer, not them. I paid $118,000 (inclusive of sales tax) for two cars.. not them, and finally I promote, and adore the product they re-sell for MB.. as you yourself stated this. I don't blame the product, I blame the distribution..

You said to stop complaining and welcome any good will... what good will? I expect a good will gesture simple because:

a) detecting a problem in how they're marketing the car.

b) being a customer for two cars (in my family there are several, my two plus a CL55, S65, and C240 out East with my sister), it is just what I would call good business to make it right for me, which they didn't, instead the argued with me on the phone, and then behind my back without even letting me know, they effected a change to their website, they ignored me, and sent me to the dealer who is also effectively ignoring my problem (by politely telling me that he's waiting to hear back from them, every time I ask the status) RUN AROUND!

-------
Again..

I don't know how else to say it... I love the car, I love the diesel, and I love much about he chassis, build quality etc.. But please separate the car from the distributor, or your never going to understand me.

It's simple!

I don't love the stripping down of the car by MBUSA, and I don't like the Vinyl seats being billed as leather inserts.

-------

Is that so hard to understand? Do I have to be dichotomous to be better understood, like rjm? Can't I call a spade a spade, be objective, and critical where criticism is fairly due?

You remind me of the guys I used to fly with at the airlines (likes of rjm) that "got theirs" and "pulled up the ladder behind them" as you clearly had problems with your E, you stayed tight lipped about it, and for what ever reason (lemon laws, dealer, etc..) they bought back your car... therefore your 100% satisfied.. When you are ticked off about the presets not being selectable on the car, I back you up (in full agreement) where others ignore you.. I don't accuse you of empty intent.. why don't I deserve satisfaction? Is it personal? Cause, I see no other reason I shouldn't have it.

Sorry if any of this offends, it's not my intent.. but I'm just baffled as to how you can CONTINUOUSLY defend MBUSA (drink the Koolaid as rjm likes to say) in light of what myself and MANY OTHER (DWP, MB Fanatic, SAguirre, Barry45, cdiken, etc.. but to name a few) have observed as faults at MBUSA Customer Service, even yourself on many occasions have been critical. It's clear that customer service with MBUSA from what members of this forum have said about this outfit that has not done well by this venerable brand's image in the US. To say my issue is with the dealer is utter BS.. I bought two cars from two different dealers and got the same BS.. I called several dealers (try it yourself) and asked the question "what is Leather Inserts, and how is it different from Leather" and got THE SAME answers.. it's a MBUSA issue.. not a Dealer issue. Its a top down, leadership issue.

They should be marketed like Nordsrom's .... instead they're marketed like Sears (without the receipt).

I just don't get it. And I'm really saddened that you don't either.

Additionally: I have purchase/leased 7 mid-high end cars in the past 9 years mostly from Volvo, and VW.. NEVER have I had this problem.. I'm not a problem customer..

Lastly, I'm not thin skinned so I won't take offense to your last comment, especially since you correctly used with it.. but I don't own a 9.. I own a .357SIG.. I wonder if you pay attention to anything I say.. or do you just pre-judge and post?

Last edited by CE750; 10-28-2005 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will say this, and say it in public as my word is MY WORD.

If MBUSA makes a gesture to make good on my problem, I will retract my viewpoint

That is fair..
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 AM

2014 C300, sport, black/black
Originally Posted by JimPurdy
That is very good news. Now, can you ship that Director over to this side of the pond to give seminars to MBUSA execs?
Ship him over the pond? What are you nuts? He was probably here already and they couldn't stand someone being so customer oriented so they offered him a relo package to get him out of their hair.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by shorthair
Ship him over the pond? What are you nuts? He was probably here already and they couldn't stand someone being so customer oriented so they offered him a relo package to get him out of their hair.
c'mon now guys.. don't be so tough on MBUSA.. they're doing their best to please their customers, Konig said so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RESULT! My problem car being replaced!!!