E320 CDI Experiences/Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No MBs
E320 CDI Experiences/Info

Hi,

I'm not a current nor former MB owner. I am a car enthusiast however as I build and race cars, partially as a business and partially for enjoyment. I've owned a lot of interesting cars over the years as hobby cars, but for daily drivers I've never owned a MB.

I test drove a E320 CDI when they came out awhile ago and liked it. My wife and I are thinking about getting one for her daily car and I was wondering if folks could share experiences about it. I'm more interested in reliability data on the car, problem areas, etc. as I know it is a car we'd enjoy and use a lot. I just want to hear if folks have had issues with the new E class cars or the 320 CDI in particular.

Thanks much,
Ron

www.gt40s.com
Old 12-04-2005, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by Ron Earp
Hi,

I'm not a current nor former MB owner. I am a car enthusiast however as I build and race cars, partially as a business and partially for enjoyment. I've owned a lot of interesting cars over the years as hobby cars, but for daily drivers I've never owned a MB.

I test drove a E320 CDI when they came out awhile ago and liked it. My wife and I are thinking about getting one for her daily car and I was wondering if folks could share experiences about it. I'm more interested in reliability data on the car, problem areas, etc. as I know it is a car we'd enjoy and use a lot. I just want to hear if folks have had issues with the new E class cars or the 320 CDI in particular.

Thanks much,
Ron

www.gt40s.com
8000 trouble free miles..

I know of a couple of members that had issues with CDI's that were early editions with leaking diesel from the high pressure pump, but as far as other issues, they're not CDI specific, but more to do with the W211..

for the most part '05/'06 W211's are 100% more reliable (and therefore very reliable) than the '3 and early'04's (built in '03).

Go to the diesel forum and get more info there.. but I love my CDI, and after spending the last 4 days driving my mom's E350... I must say, though not quite as quiet as her engine, it's prodigious low end torque is greatly missed.. especially merging onto the freeway!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:24 PM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
13K miles, no problems so far. I love the car, but you should be aware that it is a soft cruiser and not particularly a driver's car in the sense that BMWs used to be.

If you go for one, consider the Euro Delivery plan. It is an almost unbelieveably good perk that we wouldn't have missed for the world. And the price of the car is still negotiable if you go with this plan.

Good luck. Please post back and let us know what works out.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Great driveability.....

Its a great errand and travel car, lots of usable power (torque).
You never really notice the engine unless you "push it"

I suggest the Charcoal interior based on issues myself and others have experienced trying to maintain a neat appearance with the Ash and Stone interiors. Particularly, the cloth door threshholds. Also, get all weather mats. Every 550-700 miles or so you will find yourself walking around a greasy diesel pump, something you would regret tracking into an Ash or Stone car.

Finally, DIESELS are the only cars I've been able to drive "my style"....accelerating quickly through traffic 100% of the time, and still achieve anywhere near the MFR's rated fuel consumption.

Years ago I owned 2 Lincoln Mark VII cars, identical except one was a 5.0 V8 and the other a 2.4L BMW Turbo Diesel engine. If I drove both aggressively, the gasser would get 10-12 mpg and the diesel about 28 mpg, more than double with no sacrifice in performance.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:01 PM

2005 E230 CDI
I got almost 4 months and 17k trouble free, pleasure filled miles out of mine before I totaled it. I have every confidence that with proper PM it would have lasted much longer. I read in a post about a month ago about a fellow member for across the pond who had something like 150K Km with and as I recall it had to have the transmission replaced. A search should turn up the thread easily. The early CDI's state side had a few issues, but other than the quirks of the W211 I think it is one of the best daily drivers around, not to mention the SAFEST! (if you're putting the family in it )

I'll second everyone's comments thus far. Welcome to the forum and remember the search button is your friend. Best of luck in whatever choice you make.

Regards,
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM

No MBs
Thanks for the replies, any more would be helpful too. I'm finding some model specific problems on the older posts and those are the sorts of things I wish to know about. MB has made diesels forever and I feel makes good motors, the electronics here and there seem spotty, but they still seem to be solid cars.

Ron
Old 12-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
I had a couple of problems with the high pressure diesel pump at the front of the block and a small leak in the air-matic but overall it's the best car I've owned. How many cars can deliver mid range performance like these do and still return great gas consumption
I usually get bored with my cars after a couple of years but I still love driving this one after 3yrs so it's ok in my book.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:26 PM

2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
20 months/ 20,000 miles. No issues, would buy another without hesitation.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
I second the European Delivery suggestion. It's a good deal and a lot of fun. It's not every day you get to see the robots working up close.

8500 very pleasant miles so far with fairly minor squawks. It's a touring car, which I happen to prefer. I want to feel the road, but not every cigarette butt I run over. There's lots of power to spare when you need it, even if I'm already at highway speeds.

It consistently starts within 1-2 seconds, even in the Winter. It also doesn't usually smell anything like my previous diesels.

Things I have had serviced -
- small oil drip from sending unit
- passenger seat weight sensor thought someone was there when there wasn't (this arms the airbag, so it's potentially expensive)
- vibrating sound from right rear on acceleration - loose panel that was easily tightened
Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
3K miles, and absolutely love the car.

Complaints:Ash interior is hard to keep clean, navigation is hard to use. Diesel smell sometimes when pulling into and out of the garage.

Compliments: Ride is incredible, Quiet at cruising, very comfortable, excellent range, and its candy for the eyes because its dead sexy!
Old 12-08-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
My CDI in a nut shell (coming from car/MB fanatic):
Stats: 05 W211 CDI, 24,000 miles, 1.5 years old, mixed driving 50/50 city/hwy, average mileage; city 26.7, highway 36.7, lifetime average over 24K miles-27.1mpg. Diesel 2 either Shell or Chevron unfortunately not ULSD yet. Not brave enough to try biodiesel yet. Servicing at an independant MB tech following MB's recommendations.

Problems to date:
Diesel leak that was "clamped" at local MB service centre. Squeeks from rear power sun shade, passenger head rest, drivers seat (resolved) and right rear suspension. Stuttering and hesitation of car in 1st to 2nd (resolved with tranny software reflash) and when cruising with foot off gas after highway speeds the car would almost stall if no "gas" was given.This may hva ebeen linked to the diesle leak or possibly as i have read a EGR issue. Unsure, but after i have had the leak fixed no recent issues with this specific problem.

Wow after reading my problems, i still love the car!
Pros:
Fast. Great mileage. Lots of useable pwer/torque in the city. Not too many CDI's yet. Hopeful for MB's historic diesel motor engine longevity if the electronics hold up. Overall, this is th best car i have ever driven even taking into consideration the numerous problems i have had although most were taken care of by great service at the dealership.

My opinion, buy it. You'll love it.
jay
Old 12-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 CDI
I have 48,000 miles on our 2005 CDI. 75% higway, 25% city and I absolutely love the car. The diesel torque is addictive and I have averaged 34.5 mpg. As far as problems they replaced the command system due to some intermittent errors with the integrated phone and radio. Other than that no issues. I am still on our first set of brakes and for maintenance we have just followed the 13K service intervals. Only complaints are that I think the dealerships charges too much for the maintenance service intervals. Plan on $200-$300 or just do them yourself. This forum will show you how.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 CDI
One other thing I forgot to mention. My wife now drives the car more than I do and I am confident that she is in one of the safest cars on the road which is a good feeling.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:58 PM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
They are so good, I bought two!!!