E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

strange noise at high speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'07 s550 4matic
strange noise at high speeds

Ive noticed a strange noise when cruising on the highway. It typically happens after I've been driving for about a half hour at around 75mph+. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a boat propeller. Its not very loud, but noticeable. It sounds like its coming from the driver side...middle of the car maybe slightly towards the back. I took it to the dealer but they told me its because of my winter tires..somehow I dont buy this. It sounds mechnical and not like tire noise at all. It starts up after about a half an hour of cruising on the highway and will continue until I slow down. Wondering if there is a bulletin about this. The car is a 03 E500.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just tell your passengers to shut up
Old 12-23-2005, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by kaggz1227
Ive noticed a strange noise when cruising on the highway. It typically happens after I've been driving for about a half hour at around 75mph+. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a boat propeller. Its not very loud, but noticeable. It sounds like its coming from the driver side...middle of the car maybe slightly towards the back. I took it to the dealer but they told me its because of my winter tires..somehow I dont buy this. It sounds mechnical and not like tire noise at all. It starts up after about a half an hour of cruising on the highway and will continue until I slow down. Wondering if there is a bulletin about this. The car is a 03 E500.
This could very well be the winter tires. Especially if at the time you are driving the temperature outside is warm. The colder it is outside the longer it should take to get this noise to happen. The fact that it takes a while for the noise to happen at all, makes me think that it is your tread getting hot and then changing shape ever so slightly to cause this noise. I don't usually go over 80 MPH on my winter tires since they get HOT and they wear out very quickly. I get a very distinct noise with my winter tires both on the highway and when I turn sharply at low speeds.

I have personally burnt winter tires on my Mercedes Benz in Germany driving them too fast! When they get hot the sound is very deceiving.

What brand of winter tires do you have? I have Bridgestone Blizzaks and they are the loudest. However, they grip the best of all the winter tires I have ever owned. I also have Michelin Pilot Alpine on my Audi, they are also loud but not as loud as the Bridgestones, but this is because the started to cup. The Michelins are not wearing nearly as well as the Bridgestones and they don't grip as well either. All winter tires have trade-offs.

In the mean time, turn the radio up louder! :-)

Steve
Old 12-23-2005, 03:35 AM

'07 s550 4matic
Originally Posted by SAguirre
This could very well be the winter tires. Especially if at the time you are driving the temperature outside is warm. The colder it is outside the longer it should take to get this noise to happen. The fact that it takes a while for the noise to happen at all, makes me think that it is your tread getting hot and then changing shape ever so slightly to cause this noise. I don't usually go over 80 MPH on my winter tires since they get HOT and they wear out very quickly. I get a very distinct noise with my winter tires both on the highway and when I turn sharply at low speeds.

I have personally burnt winter tires on my Mercedes Benz in Germany driving them too fast! When they get hot the sound is very deceiving.

What brand of winter tires do you have? I have Bridgestone Blizzaks and they are the loudest. However, they grip the best of all the winter tires I have ever owned. I also have Michelin Pilot Alpine on my Audi, they are also loud but not as loud as the Bridgestones, but this is because the started to cup. The Michelins are not wearing nearly as well as the Bridgestones and they don't grip as well either. All winter tires have trade-offs.

In the mean time, turn the radio up louder! :-)

Steve

thanks steve for the reply. Im not sure the brand, but ill check tommrow morning. It sounds like the axel spinning of some cheap car...this can be due to tires? Also, im wondering why it only comes from one location on the car...do you think rotating the tires will help any? I guess it could very well be the tires...i tried changing gears and it didnt have any effect on the sound. The only thing that changes the tone is the actual speed of teh car.

Last edited by hotwiredbenz; 12-23-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
thanks steve for the reply. Im not sure the brand, but ill check tommrow morning. It sounds like the axel spinning of some cheap car...this can be due to tires? Also, im wondering why it only comes from one location on the car...do you think rotating the tires will help any? I guess it could very well be the tires...i tried changing gears and it didnt have any effect on the sound. The only thing that changes the tone is the actual speed of teh car.
You could also have just one tire that started to cup and only this one will make the noise. If you can rotate the tires, you might get the sound from another place. This will eliminate the doubt about it being the tires. My snow tires are all directional and the only way I can switch sides on them is to re-mount them on a rim to change sides. So far I only rotate them front to back.

Steve
Old 12-23-2005, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by SAguirre
So far I only rotate them front to back. Steve
That's how Mercedes wheels are supposed to be rotated because of their concerns about handling.

I once had a BMW and they were so concerned about handling, they recommended NOT rotating wheels.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 PM

'07 s550 4matic
hmm...so I rotated the tires the other day and its still coming from the rear driver side. dealership tech supposadly doesnt hear it.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
hmm...so I rotated the tires the other day and its still coming from the rear driver side. dealership tech supposadly doesnt hear it.
You really didn't expect him to did you? LOL