E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help! Need measurements on lowered via DAS and not lowered.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Help! Need measurements on lowered via DAS and not lowered.

I spent 2.5 hours at the dealership today while they tried to lower car via DAS, I gave them the instructions posted on this forum. When they brought the car to me finally I was not very impressed, in fact I couldn't tell it had been lowered and my SA assured me it was dropped about an inch. My dumba** did not measure the car beforehand but I have measured it now!

Center of rim to bottom of wheel well...after supposed lowering...

Level surface, Sport 1 Mode, motor running:

Front - 14.25 inches
Back - 14.125 inches

Level surface, Sport 1 Mode, motor off:
Front - 14.625 inches
Rear - 14 inches

It seems the front drops and the rear raises when the car is on.

(You can convert to CM by multiplying times 2.54!)

I asked the dealer to lower about .75"-1" all around, same front and back drop.

I don't think the front was dropped at all, in reading another post it shows the front and back on a stock E55 to be 13.75 inches front and rear.

Anybody else have some measurements? I don't have my camera with me but will post pics later. Thanks!

Last edited by mbuskuhl; 03-01-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:22 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I am sure that all cars are different. I have had them do an alignment on the car and each time it comes back at a different height.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 AM

Here are some pics AFTER supposed lowering, measurements are posted above. This is with motor off, Sport 1.

I know everyone has a tape measure, any help?
Attached Thumbnails Help! Need measurements on lowered via DAS and not lowered.-pict0155.jpg   Help! Need measurements on lowered via DAS and not lowered.-pict0156.jpg   Help! Need measurements on lowered via DAS and not lowered.-pict0157.jpg  
Old 03-02-2006, 04:57 PM

Old 03-03-2006, 11:51 AM

85 views and only 1 response, no measurements or comments on the ride height. Ummm....anybody? anybody? Even us newbies (including myself) can measure our cars. Ummmm....
Old 03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
The problem is as I mentioned, they are all different.

Take a look at the pics in here...
Old 03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
I took measurements (using a yard stick) from the bottom of the wheel well to the floor:

Front: 25"
Rear: 25.5"

But the measurements change depending on the day. I did not lower my car via Star Diagnostics. I used links (front), sensor (rear).
Old 03-07-2006, 07:31 AM

Update....Dealer acknowledges they won't lower the car! I emailed my SA measurements and pictures of lowered and non lowered cars asking for a 3rd attempt at lowering, here is the response I got:

Email I recieved on 3/6/06 from my SA

Mark, this is an uncomfortable situation to be in , but I have to advise you that I cannot do the modification that you want at this time. I was misinformed and once the Manager and Service Directors found out what I was wanting to do, they axed it 100%. ( Billy has been informed as well )

Please understand that the tech did attempt and thought that he did have it done, though, obviously not.

I know that you do not know me and that this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but it is honest. I have built an incredible following in Volvo, BMW, and Audi, doing this exact thing but Policy and Procedure here will not allow me to do it anymore.

I am sorry for the time this has taken and I hope that there will be another way that you will be able to get it done soon.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:06 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
This is what happens when people complain too loud... Upper management hears and shuts things down..
Old 03-07-2006, 11:37 AM

I never complained to anyone. I never even addressed this to anyone but my SA and another SA I was working with. Both said, not a problem we can do what you want, 2 attempts later the car was not lowered. I emailed my SA and said can you try a 3rd time and this was his reply. My response to his email was "Thank you for the reply".

I never go complain to upper management, they don't want to hear it nor do they care, they have better things to do. Heck, I didn't even do the complete customer satisfaction survey they sent me last week. I'm in upper managment, I hear people complain all the time and really don't care one bit, they just sound like whining pathetic losers, hence probably the reason I don't do any complaining myself.

I belive my SA could not get one of the Techs to go along with the lowering and blamed it on upper management.

So...long story short, it was not "when people complain too loud" that caused this to be "shut down".
Old 03-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
..perhaps you're talking to the wrong guy (SA?). Wouldn't the foreman be in a better position to "hook you up" (or lower you down..)?

Take your car in for a carwash.. hang out in the back while they do their work.. walk around, say hello, peek into the workshop, introduce yourself.. work it, baby! Work it!

..where there's a will, there's a way.. ..and it really doesn't seem like anything a nice bottle of wine wouldn't solve.. ..or maybe some tickets to the big game..

..*someone* must be willing to stay after hours for an extra 50.

Of course, you could always try a different dealer.

GL.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:10 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I do not want to argue, I am just asking, did they do it and then you were not happy with the amount and you went back to them?

By the way, the amount done to your car looks about right considering there are many variables to take into consideration.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 PM

I stopped by dealer on a Saturday and talked with SA Steve who has "asst service manager" on his card. Asked about lowering via DAS, he said not a problem but I needed to make an appt. as they were busy. He confirmed with another SA who used to be a tech (Billy) who also said not a problem. They knew what I was talking about and keeping the voltage in spec. I was surprised at their willingness to lower, we were all on the same page. Made appt. for the following Thurs. and dropped the car off for regular service and lower via DAS. Picked up car a day later and SA Steve told me the car was assigned to a tech who would not lower the car. He apologized and said bring the car back next week and he'll get another tech to do it at no charge since the first tech wouldn't do it. Made appt. for following Wednesday, waited for 2.5 hours while they attempted to lower (instructions provided to them from this forum) and while they did a software update. When they brought the car out he said it had been lowered about 1" but it did not look that way to me. I did some measurements and photos of mine side by side with some stock vehicles. Mine did not appear to be lowered according to the measurements or stock photos. I called my SA Steve the next day and left message, no call back. I emailed him yesterday with the measurements and photos and the reply I got is posted above. My SA Steve has been helpful in trying to get this done, to me it sounds like he can't get any Techs to go along with it.

The question really is did they lower it and if so how much? I have no evidence it is lowered when compared to stock photos and a few measurements of lowered 211's. There is one in the E55 forum at 12.9" front and 13.0" rear lowered by a dealer via DAS. I am a good 1" plus higher than this.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:52 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Did they charge you? If not, then no loss. Get Steve to do it when he comes to a town near you.

I understand why they are reluctant. Read the thread about the SBC and complaints. Not doing it is the easy and safe route for the dealer.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM

'03 E500
dude, on my way home from work yesterday I saw a car that looked just like yours (same color same rims) and it look to be the same height as your's, just from eyeballing it tho.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:38 PM

I have come to the conclusion they did not lower it. Steve referred me to a guy in Houston which is about 4 hours south of me, I'm going to try and meet up with him. Fortunately the dealer did not charge me as they were doing this as a favor for not doing it the first time. Funny thing is I got my customer service survey in the mail yesterday from the lowering visit, I have not decided if I will send it in.

I happened to see my exact car today for the first time in Dallas, unfortunately I am not the only one with a Tectite Grey/Stone 2003 E320 Sport....but I do have the custom exhaust now! With a few other mods already in place and the lowering to come it will be its own but at the same time not be obnoxious.