E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Starting to smell diesel on the CDI...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
Starting to smell diesel on the CDI...

As of late, I've noticed a bit of a diesel smell around the CDI when parked. Anyone else come across a similar issue? If so, what was the culprit?

I'll be taking the car in for an oil change on Monday, and would like to give the tech a little direction before he starts poking around in there.

Raj
'05 e320 cdi
'97 e320
'85 535i
'95 Ram 2500 4x4 w/Greasecar kit
Old 04-01-2006, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
fuel leak

Do a search on the top bar line for, " diesel fuel leak". It has been discussed by a few people, some with new CDI's. Appears to be a hose near the fuel filter. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E270cdi
I had that problem too on my E270CDI. Seems like that some hose clip holding the tube to the fuel filter had given up. All it costed was 25 cents and removing the engine cover.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:31 AM

2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Sound-deadening material is a sponge

Just beware even though they may correct the leak, it could stink after the repair if insulation material became soaked in fuel.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 AM

2005 E320 CDI
I test drove my 2005 CDI w/18,500 miles last week. It had a very strong smell of diesel when you lifted the hood. We put it on the rack and removed the bottom engine covers and it was obvious it had a diesel leak somewhere. They offered to take it to Mercedes and fix it. I offered them less money and said I would deal with it. So I bought it, and took it to Mercedes. They said it was a hose clamp at the fuel filter. When I got it home, it still smelled, so I popped the hood, only to see that they didn't bother to clean up the mess, and I am pretty sure I saw a diesel drop (I don't think it was water) fall onto the belly pan. So I took it back and they clean it and said they can't find a leak, but they did strip off the sound deadening material from the belly pan - since it was saturated - and ordered me a new one from Germany (at their expense). Should be here in a couple weeks. When I got home, I lifted the hood. I could see a spot on the belly pan where diesel had dripped. Now I am not sure if that is new diesel or just remants of the previous leak. But I will keep a close eye on it to be sure. My wife and I really love this car, and are hoping this is just a rocky start and we didn't buy a lemon.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
any other CDi guys with this experience?

Originally Posted by Palanuk
I test drove my 2005 CDI w/18,500 miles last week. It had a very strong smell of diesel when you lifted the hood. We put it on the rack and removed the bottom engine covers and it was obvious it had a diesel leak somewhere. They offered to take it to Mercedes and fix it. I offered them less money and said I would deal with it. So I bought it, and took it to Mercedes. They said it was a hose clamp at the fuel filter. When I got it home, it still smelled, so I popped the hood, only to see that they didn't bother to clean up the mess, and I am pretty sure I saw a diesel drop (I don't think it was water) fall onto the belly pan. So I took it back and they clean it and said they can't find a leak, but they did strip off the sound deadening material from the belly pan - since it was saturated - and ordered me a new one from Germany (at their expense). Should be here in a couple weeks. When I got home, I lifted the hood. I could see a spot on the belly pan where diesel had dripped. Now I am not sure if that is new diesel or just remants of the previous leak. But I will keep a close eye on it to be sure. My wife and I really love this car, and are hoping this is just a rocky start and we didn't buy a lemon.
I had a VW Jetta TDi which smelled of diesel when idling but no leak. That car had little insulation material so it was easy to tell. I get a little over 25 mpg using Sunoco Gold (highest grade), with only 8,600 km (5,400 miles) on the clock.

Fuel leak is a serious matter. Where is this belly pan? It would be most helpful if you can post photos for all to see. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
I did one of these the other day. There is a short "L" shaped hose behind the fuel filter connecting it to either a supply line or some return line. Just replace the hose and hose clamps and you will be good to go..
Old 03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by stickygreen
I'll be taking the car in for an oil change on Monday, and would like to give the tech a little direction before he starts poking around in there.
DTB P-B-07.02/42a APR06 High pressure fuel pump leaks in area of low pressure connections. There may be a leak in the area of the low pressure connections whereas the click clamps, fuel feed and fuel return hoses will be replaced. The coolant hose and/or poly V-belt will be also be replaced if contaminated along and an engine compartment wash.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Originally Posted by harkgar
I had a VW Jetta TDi which smelled of diesel when idling but no leak. That car had little insulation material so it was easy to tell. I get a little over 25 mpg using Sunoco Gold (highest grade), with only 8,600 km (5,400 miles) on the clock.

Fuel leak is a serious matter. Where is this belly pan? It would be most helpful if you can post photos for all to see. Thanks.
Yep, I had this issue last year and was recurrent three times. My SA was great but nevertheless a pain the rear. Konig was great in directing me in the right manner to get this fixed. As I recall my CDI was one of the earlier ones and they used the wrong clamp twice. All being said, my 05 CDI has been great, no nother diesel leaks and insist they replace the insulation as that soaks up the diesel and holds the smell for a very long time. My garage smelled like a refinery! What scared me was the smoking coming from the engine compartment once when they failed to replace the insulation the first time. Good luck and pursue with calmness. It's amazing what happens when both the customer and service departments are level headed.
Jay
Old 03-03-2007, 10:00 PM

2005 E320 CDI
You got it right Racin_fool

Originally Posted by Racin_fool
I did one of these the other day. There is a short "L" shaped hose behind the fuel filter connecting it to either a supply line or some return line. Just replace the hose and hose clamps and you will be good to go..
It started leaking like crazy, I traced it back to that line with the "L" shaped hose on steel tube side. (Not the filter side that the MB dealer put the hose clamp on.) I band-aided it with an extra hose clamp adn it seems to have stopped. Hopefully the dealer will replace the hose like you and others suggest. I will find out Monday. I attached a picture, not sure how well it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails Starting to smell diesel on the CDI...-thomson-58-002.jpg  
Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Thanks Palanuk...

Good Explanation and photo. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I am going to get a hose and clamps and be ready. Good forum member!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Sounds like the engines in the w211's are plagues with similar fuel line leaks as the w210's... Anyone find out if it's related to the fuel or just poor design? Apologize if I'm being redundant
Old 03-04-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by michakaveli
Sounds like the engines in the w211's are plagues with similar fuel line leaks as the w210's... Anyone find out if it's related to the fuel or just poor design? Apologize if I'm being redundant
I'd say poor design. Its like the design of the lower power steering hoses on the W163 MLs and some of the early W164 MLs. If they would stop being cheap with their hose designs it would save them in the long run.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Ok, Here is an update. The old hose that leaked is a 648 078 06 81. I am not sure of the new number. Here is what is on the hose:

?0870 04 40 06. I have the ? because I can't read what is hidden by the hose clamp. ( I am not going to risk loosening it to find out.)

DBL 625670 V

S20265A

I should be able to look on the paperwork, but I didn't get any.

Here is the long story, read on if you are interested

Week 1 Monday:
Take car to dealership to fix diesel leak. Get car back, assume it's fine. Get it home and smell diesel. I pop the hood, see a diesel drip and discover they didn't bother to pressure wash or steam clean it.

Week 1 Wednesday:
Take car to dealership to fix leak and ask for cleaning and replacement of saturated sounded deadening material on the belly pan. They order new belly pans from Germany. Get car back cleaned, but they said they couldn't find a leak. (I gave them the benefit of doubt that what I saw was rain water or a drip from the previous leak). Get the car home only to discover that there is fresh diesel on a cleaned belly pan. Too busy to deal with it now.

Week 1 Friday:
I don't wish to park a car that I just bought until Monday when the dealership can look at it, so I go after the problem myself. Not too hard to find since it is leaking at a rate of a drop every 2 seconds. I trace it back to the hose location that others on this board have said is a known issue. (Known to this forum anyway; evidently not known by the dealership) I put a clamp on it and that stops the leak.

Week 2 Monday:
Take it back to the dealership to have them re-clean it and replace the problemed hose. No hose in stock - order from Germany. They clean and also find more saturated sound deadening material that surrounds the engine and remove it and order replacements.

Week 2 - Wait for parts (Belly pans with new sound deadening material, Material surrounding the engine, and the bad hose).

Week 2 Thursday:
Parts have arrived (I am surprised, They must have found the parts state-side)

Week 3 Tuesday:
Take car in to have hose and other parts installed. Pick up car and get it home. Pulled off engine cover to read what the new part number is so I can post it here for everyone to read. Hmmmm old part number appears to be the same as the new part number. HEY, there's my hose clamp I put on. THEY FORGOT TO REPLACE THE HOSE!!!!

Week 3 Friday:
Took car in and waited while they replaced the hose.
I think this seemingly never ending issue is finally finished. Engine is clean and the leak has stopped. Time to enjoy my car, and a garage that doesn't smell like a truck shop. YESSSSSS!!!!
Not sure what to think of the dealership though. This was all free to me, but they charge out a lot of money (I think $110/hr). And it cost me a lot of time and frustration. What a joke.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM

02 C Class cdi
hi 1st post on here so be patient please
ok 02 220cdi,problem is strong smell of diesel on 1st start of the day,after 10 minutes or so it clears then its fine after until the next day..it has 84.000 miles on it,just in-case its relevant, thanks everyone
Old 02-07-2012, 12:15 AM

2012 W212 | 2016 W205
Could be the sign of some leaking injectors, my E270 is starting to smell the same as diesel slowly leaks from the top of one of the injectors
Old 02-08-2012, 10:28 PM

GL320
fuel smell

I bought my 05 CDI with the same problem. Figured it was spill when changing filter. I had MB do a once over on it before I took home and they said it was residual from a bad "L" line attaching to the filter via clik-clamps. Like above, the dealer didn't clean it up. I had it in for a data update to enable the BlueTooth and asked them to look. They replaced the hose for free with new click-clamps. The liner was not replaced. They told me that it would eventually go away and it did.

Lift the cover over the fuel filter and look around, especially along the hard line the "L" shaped hose connects to. Mine was wet there which allowed the fuel to work it's way down to the engine liner/sound deadening material.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211
geez everywhere 211 leaks fuel some where it seems like...
Old 06-21-2016, 03:45 PM

2007 , ml320 cdi
Hi all
Last week I changed the turbocharger for my ml320 CDI and put a new one . the boost was increased , would say , 20% and was fantastic but after flooring a couple times , I saw DZL was pouring form back of engine . No idea what is going on and if any easy fix or I have to see a shop and who know how much will cost me!!!!! . Any idea or similar problem . where should I start . any input would be great. Thanks