E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

OEM Bluetooth Adapter for MHI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
OEM Bluetooth Adapter for MHI

When I optioned my 06 E350 bluetooth wasn't available, so I didn't order a the handsfree option (MHI). Shortly after delivery, MB released a BT Adaptor. I had the famous Steve (mbenznl.com) add the handsfree module and then snap in the BT Adaptor (wireless4mb.com). We paired my Cingular AT&T Razr and I was in business. I hear with a cochlear implant so sound quality is a critical issue for me. I've had a BT system in a prior Lexus LS and Infinti M. The sound quality in the MB system is superior and more importantly - usable by me. The sound quality on the other end is also very good. I suspect the 4 microphone array MB implements must be a big part of it.

How well does it integrate? What features do you get? I'll give you all the details.

Since the phone stays in your pocket, the phone is not being charged and is not connected to the car's external antenna. This is not an issue for me as I don't live or travel in fringe areas. You will not see SMS messages arrive.

When you turn on the car, the BT system copies your phone's directory, last received and last called lists. It takes about 60 seconds and is completely automatic. The directory is available on the MF Display or on the COMAND display. To place a call, you can scroll through COMAND or MF Display. They operate independently. The sound system will mute. You can press SEND/END on the COMAND or use the steering wheel buttons. If you want to use the last dialed or received calls, you select the list and scroll using the COMAND screen. If there is an entry in your directory that you want to delete, you can press Delete on the COMAND screen and it will delete it on your phone as well. But you can only add new numbers using your phone. If you want to dial a number, just press TEL and enter it on the keypad.

Receiving a call will mute the radio and wait for you to answer using either the COMAND or steering wheel button. If the number is in your directory, the name will display in the MF Display, otherwise the Caller ID number appears.

A nice reature is the cellular signal strength is always displayed on the bottom corner of the COMAND screen. So if you do see a signal drop, you can apologize.

It is the best BT implementation I have seen and worth the premium cost.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM

I am interested in getting this kit. How did you go about ordering it? How much was it? I didnt see this information listed on the websites you named above.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM

Well, it's not a do it yourself kit. First you have to add the Media Handsfree Interface (MHI) to your car. In Europe, they call it UHI. This isn't a DIY task because a StarNet laptop is needed to modify your COMAND unit. And personally I would not want to muck around with MB's electronics. They have enough problems in that department.

Normally after MHI is installed, a cradle is wired into the center armrest to receive a pricey and obsolete MB branded cell phone. But wireless4mb.com sells a substitute for the cradle and phone called a BT Adapter. I've seen dealer quotes of about $1200-1800 for the MHI installation. The BT Adapter is about $450.

I got everything through Steve who also installed everything for less than that.

Last edited by edspider; 07-13-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:35 AM

Harley-Davidson
edspider, thanks for your informative, well written review of the bluetooth installation in your E350. I had been trying to decide between the bluetooth module or a cradle for my car. After reading several negative posts about bluetooth, I was all set to get the cradle. Now I am forced to reconsider. When my car arrives in a few weeks I may have to flip a coin.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E320 CDI
cyclerider, I have the cradle, it does all that the BT adapter does, plus SMS messages are displayed on the command screen, the phone charges, and the signal strength is excellent. I have a V635 that is not one of the “supported” phones, but everything works. I have also tried a V300 and it is completely functional as well. The only downside is remembering to take the phone with you when you exit the car. I travel in fringe areas so the signal boost was important to me.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Steve Installed the Bluetooth set up for the RAZR in our 2006 W211...Works Great! He also added VA ...Since here in Kali a Bill was passed re hand held cell phones...
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by emanon
cyclerider, I have the cradle, it does all that the BT adapter does, plus SMS messages are displayed on the command screen, the phone charges, and the signal strength is excellent. I have a V635 that is not one of the “supported” phones, but everything works. I have also tried a V300 and it is completely functional as well. The only downside is remembering to take the phone with you when you exit the car. I travel in fringe areas so the signal boost was important to me.
I was worried about the cradle because I have a Verizon Motorola E815, which IS one of the supported phones, but I have a newer software version on my phone than the one that is "required" by AutoWireless Solutions. My phone might or might not work with the cradle. I would hate to throw away $220 for a cradle that didn't work.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E320 CDI
cyclerider The V635 and V300 are both GSM phones. I don't have any experience with the CDMA phones. I can tell you that AWS told me that it would only work with the "supported" phones. It turns out the 2 unsupported phones that I tried work fine. Maybe someone on the Audio and Electronics Forum can give you some feedback on the E815. Keep us posted.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't worry much about the E815 having a later revision of the software. Motorola's implementation of bluetooth has a history of high compatibility. Many people think bluetooth means GSM. All you can really say is GSM means SIM card. Its just a coincidence. CDMA is just not as common so there are fewer phones to choose from. Any phone can have BT.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by edspider
I've seen dealer quotes of about $1200-1800 for the MHI installation. The BT Adapter is about $450.

I got everything through Steve who also installed everything for less than that.
I'm planning to take delivery of a new '06 E320 CDI this week, and haven't finalized the deal yet...this is great info, as I had no idea there was an integrated Bluetooth solution available.

The car doesn't have MHI, so I'd like to work this into the deal. Do you know how many hours of labor the MHI installation requires, and what specifically is involved? Given the W211's track record with electronics, I'm a bit leery of the process without knowing more about what's involved, even with a warranty.

And the adapter plugs right in, requiring no additional installation cost, correct?

Thanks in advance for any additional information you can provide...
Old 07-13-2006, 09:06 PM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by cyclerider
edspider, I had been trying to decide between the bluetooth module or a cradle for my car. After reading several negative posts about bluetooth, I was all set to get the cradle. Now I am forced to reconsider. When my car arrives in a few weeks I may have to flip a coin.
The cradle seems very limiting, as it only supports a small universe of currently available phones, which may or may not expand over years of car ownership. I believe that Bluetooth is the way to go. As the phones mature and new ones hit the market, all you need to do is pair your phone to the car.

Lou
Old 07-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E320 CDI
I wouldn't worry much about the E815 having a later revision of the software. Motorola's implementation of bluetooth has a history of high compatibility. Many people think bluetooth means GSM. All you can really say is GSM means SIM card. Its just a coincidence. CDMA is just not as common so there are fewer phones to choose from. Any phone can have BT.
I was referring to compatibility with the cradle not the BT adapter.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:16 AM

E270cdi
Hi there, I just received a phone call from my dealer saying module can be collected on Monday, so I will let you know how it works next week.

What is for sure is that you need an SAP compatible phone, meaning Sim Access Profile. Basically this will read all the phone and sim directory, SMS and also uses the car antenna, so I guess not all bluetooth phones work. For a detailed list of SAP phones, visit http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Templat...on=All&crit=--

I don't know which phones can be used in your country, but hope you find a suitable phone for you.

Good luck
Old 07-14-2006, 04:24 AM
Almost a Member!

"The sound quality on the other end is also very good. I suspect the 4 microphone array MB implements must be a big part of it"

Boy this is sure not reflective of my experience

I have had nothing but problems with my set up as far as the sound quality is concened on the other end.

Everything sounds great to on my end (car side) but the people I talk to say the sound quality of my voice on their end of the conversation is very poor when I am using the bluetooth.

I went to Verizon today and tried out a Motorola E815 instead of my blackberry thinking the phone might make a difference but everyone we called with the E815 said the quality of my voice while using the bluetooth was quite poor. As soon as I disconnected the same phone from bluetooth they said it improved by a factor of 10

When asked to rate how it sounded on a scale of 1-10 most people said it was a 4

I question how many people using this device have actually asked the people they are talking to to rate the quality of their voice on the other end of the conversation.

My sense is because the sound quality is so good on the receiving end (i.e. the car side) and because the person you are speaking to can generally understand you, the assumption is all must be crstal clear on both sides of the conversation.

Can someone else on this forum weigh in and let me know if they have a bluetooth system like this and if so, how are the people you talk to rating the quality of your voice/sound from their side (the non -car side of the conversation?
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 AM

Carlsbad. My callers give it an 8 of 10 and say it is better than was in my Lexus LS and Infiniti. The quality drops when the signal strength drops. I think there must be something wrong with your install. I would have a different dealer take a look at it.

Alan. I know the arm rest is pre-wired, but the wires are just hanging behind the back inner wall. I'm not sure if installation of the MHI includes pulling the wires out and connecting them to the clip which the BT Adaptor snaps into. It should, but just make sure the dealer knows you intend what to do.

Since my parts all true blue MB and the install was done by an uber installer, I'm confident my warranty will be fine. But more importantly, I waited because I figured Steve knows exactly how to do it right. Something that I could not count on from my local dealer. The local dealer had trouble just coming up with a price.

It took Steve a little over an hour, but don't expect a dealer to do it that quickly. But I would expect a dealer to quote 4-6 hours depending on their labor rate.

Last edited by edspider; 07-14-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Almost a Member!

I have been to two different dealers and they tell me that the equipment all checks out fine. They acknowledge that the sound quality is poor. They tell me that the problems I have experienced are widespread throughout the Country and that a "diagnostic tool" to fix is supposed to be on the way but is not yet available and the timing of its arrival is uncertain.

I talked to the manufacturer of the BT adapter and they tell me they get various calls from customers complaining that calls sound like they are originating in a tunnel.

Would love to hear from more people that have done this install to see if my problem is unique or more the norm.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
My Wife calls me from Our W211 WITH Bluetooth and VA and the call is Clear!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
Originally Posted by malta
Hi there, I just received a phone call from my dealer saying module can be collected on Monday, so I will let you know how it works next week.

What is for sure is that you need an SAP compatible phone, meaning Sim Access Profile. Basically this will read all the phone and sim directory, SMS and also uses the car antenna, so I guess not all bluetooth phones work. For a detailed list of SAP phones, visit http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Templat...on=All&crit=--

I don't know which phones can be used in your country, but hope you find a suitable phone for you.

Good luck
I don't really know what SAP phones are...but this list can't be too accurate since there isn't a single Motorola phone on the list, and there are more Motorola certified MB BT phones than any other brand. Either the list is outdated or SAP is not required.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:20 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by gvaughn
I don't really know what SAP phones are...but this list can't be too accurate since there isn't a single Motorola phone on the list, and there are more Motorola certified MB BT phones than any other brand. Either the list is outdated or SAP is not required.
I think that list is for Europe, and doesn't apply to the USA.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:55 PM

SIM access profile is a Euro development. Europe is always ahead of us when comes to cellular and to BT. It's a great development. It let's the car share the SIM card. The SIM card on GSM is like a directTV card. It contains the license. So in theory a car that supports the SAP profile could actually make the call using its own gear. That means you get it all. It can use the car's external antenna. SMS will work.

The BT Adaptor for the US market doesn't require SAP and does not support it.

MB, only a few weeks ago announced the euro version that supports SAP. So it will probably be years before we'll see in the US.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:02 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
This is what confuses me, after reading this thread people are talking about the US (North American) version of the cradle and BT or the European version of the cradle with BT. It is all so confusing..
Old 07-15-2006, 05:27 AM

E270cdi
SIM access profile is a Euro development. Europe is always ahead of us when comes to cellular and to BT. It's a great development. It let's the car share the SIM card. The SIM card on GSM is like a directTV card. It contains the license. So in theory a car that supports the SAP profile could actually make the call using its own gear. That means you get it all. It can use the car's external antenna. SMS will work.

The BT Adaptor for the US market doesn't require SAP and does not support it.

MB, only a few weeks ago announced the euro version that supports SAP. So it will probably be years before we'll see in the US.
OOOOOOps, hope I have not confused anyone.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Almost a Member!

05 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by carlsbad
I have been to two different dealers and they tell me that the equipment all checks out fine. They acknowledge that the sound quality is poor. They tell me that the problems I have experienced are widespread throughout the Country and that a "diagnostic tool" to fix is supposed to be on the way but is not yet available and the timing of its arrival is uncertain.

I talked to the manufacturer of the BT adapter and they tell me they get various calls from customers complaining that calls sound like they are originating in a tunnel.

Would love to hear from more people that have done this install to see if my problem is unique or more the norm.
When I first installed the cradle, I asked people how the sound was on the other end and everyone said great. Then one day I was talking to someone and they asked where I was since it sounded like I was in a tunnel. It was hot because the car had been sitting in the sun and the A/C was running full tilt. I hit the off switch, on the HVAC and like magic, the sound on the other end was fine again. Now when it is hot out, if I make or receive a call, I turn the fan speed down and I don't have a problem. I don't know if it is caused by the air coming from the center vents hitting the microphone array or what. I may experiment when I have more time.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:55 PM

'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
When it comes to sound quality and BT one thing to remember is that the BT link between phone and dongle is in the microwave frequency band. So if you have the phone on opposite side of your body than the dongle your sound quality will demish since the body absorbs microwaves.

If you have a problem with sound quality try moveing the phone closer to the BT dongle and see if that helps.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Almost a Member!

emanon: I always have my air conditioner set to "auto" and it seems the fan is always on. I will try shutting it off to see if it makes a difference.

sgaar: I usually place the phone right next to the dongle so don't think that is the problem, but thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM Bluetooth Adapter for MHI