BLUETEC® Mercedes cars are a bit less exclusive now... 2007+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
BLUETEC® Mercedes cars are a bit less exclusive now... 2007+

Offically released, the 2007 Grand Cherokee will be avail with the new V6 Diesel (BLUETEC®) right out of the E-class. Same HP and torque ratings with 19-24 mpg.

I dont know about you, but that dosent make me to happy.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 AM

1992.5 400E W124
MB engines have been sold to Ssangyong for many years now.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by KosherBenz
I dont know about you, but that dosent make me to happy.
No big deal to me. I didn't order a BlueTec to join an exclusivity club, I bought it because I liked the car and the mileage it can get. Besides, when the public in the US gets exposed to diesels and learns their advantages, the demand will increase and lead to other manufacturers introducing models with diesels. That gives me more choices in cars in the future.

Lou
Old 08-09-2006, 10:37 AM

I completely agree with what Lou said.

Besides, a Chrysler with an MB engine isn't a MB.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:51 AM

2004 E500, Acura TSX
I think the more important question is "Is a MB with a Chrysler engine still a MB"?
Wasn't MB always known for bulletproof last forever diesels? That's why they cost more. They were better and worth the cost. To think that a Jeep will have the same engine makes me think it is not as well built. We expect Jeeps to have disposable engines, but not MB. I would agree with KosherBenz that the allure of the Bluetec is a little tainted for me now.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I don't follow your logic. Does that mean all C32s are going to blow up since the Crossfire SRT-6 has the same engine?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:29 AM

what ever happened to "PROTECTing the Brand image"

....Dr. Z is more about profits and in the long run this is only going to hurt Mercedes.

You lose the Brand image, you lose your ability to charge the large premiums that Mercedes can charge for their cars now.

LIke I said before, why pay 50K for a E ...why they are going to sell the same engine and similiar chassis for like 16K ?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 AM

2004 E500, Acura TSX
I don't think I mentioned "blowing up". Did you ever have a belief that MB engines were better made than domestic engines? Wasn't part of the reason for buying a MB that it was believed to be made better than most? That's one reason why you paid more. Do you expect Jeeps to last over 100K miles? No. Do you expect $50k diesel MBs to last well over 100k miles?

My point was that if MB can afford to put the bluetec in a $25k Jeep then maybe that engine is not so special. It can be very good, but it is again, not quite so special.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its big and Grey!
Originally Posted by hellolarry
I don't think I mentioned "blowing up". Did you ever have a belief that MB engines were better made than domestic engines? Wasn't part of the reason for buying a MB that it was believed to be made better than most? That's one reason why you paid more. Do you expect Jeeps to last over 100K miles? No. Do you expect $50k diesel MBs to last well over 100k miles?

My point was that if MB can afford to put the bluetec in a $25k Jeep then maybe that engine is not so special. It can be very good, but it is again, not quite so special.
Thats why I love my CDI. Its special and IMHO will outlast the V6 diesel!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
Did you ever have a belief that MB engines were better made than domestic engines? Wasn't part of the reason for buying a MB that it was believed to be made better than most? That's one reason why you paid more. Do you expect Jeeps to last over 100K miles? No. Do you expect $50k diesel MBs to last well over 100k miles?

Dude, you and sklasse have got to get over your elitist attitudes. If you think that the Bluetec motor in a Jeep is the first Mercedes motor in a 'utilitarian' application, you've either never been overseas or have your head deep in a very dark place...MB Sprinter diesel vans are the equivalent of a Ford Econoline here, MB C- and E-class diesels are the backbone of taxi fleets just as the Crown Vic is here, not to mention MB's line of heavy diesel trucks.

In addition, there are scores of Jeep owners that would strongly object to your insinuation that Jeeps don't last over 100k miles. Plenty of them are traveling over the Rubicon with double that.

Finally, success of our domestic automakers is vital to the American economy, even if somebody such as yourself wouldn't dream of buying a Chevy or Dodge. If MB's influence strengthens Chrysler sales, increases market share, and keeps the American company profitable, our country benefits.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Maybe Chrysler needs help in their CAFE standards area, and the BlueTec suits that need in the Jeep.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 PM

2004 E500, Acura TSX
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Dude, you and sklasse have got to get over your elitist attitudes. If you think that the Bluetec motor in a Jeep is the first Mercedes motor in a 'utilitarian' application, you've either never been overseas or have your head deep in a very dark place...MB Sprinter diesel vans are the equivalent of a Ford Econoline here, MB C- and E-class diesels are the backbone of taxi fleets just as the Crown Vic is here, not to mention MB's line of heavy diesel trucks.

In addition, there are scores of Jeep owners that would strongly object to your insinuation that Jeeps don't last over 100k miles. Plenty of them are traveling over the Rubicon with double that.

Finally, success of our domestic automakers is vital to the American economy, even if somebody such as yourself wouldn't dream of buying a Chevy or Dodge. If MB's influence strengthens Chrysler sales, increases market share, and keeps the American company profitable, our country benefits.
Dude, which Benz are you driving (and why)? I did not think we were discussing the American Way of Life and the virtues of the working man. The point is that if I can get the same parts in a car that costs half of the price of a MB then why buy the MB? That's all, nothing else.
Good Bless America (especially the Rubicon)
Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 PM

Dude, which Benz are you driving (and why)? The point is that if I can get the same parts in a car that costs half of the price of a MB then why buy the MB? That's all, nothing else.
Which Jeep product with "the same parts...that costs half the price of a MB" are you referring to? Compare apples to apples: The ML350 starts at $40k, the Grand Cherokee starts at $30k (figure the Bluetec motor will add $1-2k to either), and both sell relatively well to different audiences.

For what it's worth, I have an E320 CDI.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 08-09-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:21 PM

MB SLK is nothing but the Chyrsler crossfire they share like 95 % of their parts.

also, in 2009

all engines between Mercedes and Chyrsler will be the same engine in a 65K e-class will be the same engine in chrylser's sub 20K range but w/o variable timing ...whopi do
Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by sklasse
MB SLK is nothing but the Chyrsler crossfire they share like 95 % of their parts. also, in 2009 all engines between Mercedes and Chyrsler will be the same engine in a 65K e-class will be the same engine in chrylser's sub 20K range but w/o variable timing ...whopi do
You're drifting way off the topic of the Bluetec motor in the Grand Cherokee.

The Crossfire shares the platform and drivetrain of the last generation SLK.

Yes, drivetrains and platforms will continue to merge between Mercedes and Chrysler products in the coming years (shouldn't have been a surprise to anybody after the companies merged). The result should be better Chryslers and better MBs. Time will tell.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:50 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by sklasse
MB SLK is nothing but the Chyrsler crossfire they share like 95 % of their parts . . .
The Chrysler Crossfire is built on the previous M-B SLK chassis in Germany, and is shipped to this country fully assembled just like the German-built M-B vehicles. I don't see how this lessens the image of M-B. It only improves the image of Chrysler. Having the impressive diesel in the Grand Cherokee should do the same for Jeep.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
I think the more important question is "Is a MB with a Chrysler engine still a MB"?
Wasn't MB always known for bulletproof last forever diesels? That's why they cost more. They were better and worth the cost. To think that a Jeep will have the same engine makes me think it is not as well built. We expect Jeeps to have disposable engines, but not MB. I would agree with KosherBenz that the allure of the Bluetec is a little tainted for me now.
My, are you one confused puppy.

The Mercedes V6 diesel is built in Germany and is a German design. There's a sister V8 using same bore centers, piston, rods, etc. not exported to USA.

Since Daimler-Benz PURCHASED and now OWNS Chrysler, they have the ability to spread their manufacturing costs over more units and one way of doing this is sending some engines to the USA.

LOTS are sent to the USA, as the Alabama Mercedes factory will install them in 2007 MLs, GLs, and R-classes. In Germany, they'll be installed in C-, E-, and S-class cars and several different vans, including Sprinter.

Some will come to USA or wherever for installation in Jeeps.

It only increases the value and quality of the Jeep and in no way detracts from any Mercedes with the same engine.

Gee, maybe you can go to a Jeep dealer and get a cheaper fleece oil filter.

Oh, BTW, the 270 inline 5 diesel of the E270CDI, etc., is the engine in the Sprinter, the delivery van assembled in Germany as a Mercedes and assembled in South Carolina as a Dodge or Freightliner. It's just a 5-cyl version of the 320 six in 2005-2006 E320CDIs.

The inline 5 and 6 are now replaced by the same V6 and in Europe this engine is used in two models, i.e. 280 and 320. It's the same 3.0 engine with different states of tune and the badge doesn't describe displacement.

Chrysler has never had any in-house diesel technology and has had to purchase engines from Cummins for its pickups and trucks. The Jeep Liberty had a VM diesel from Italy, VM being jointly owned by DC and Roger Penske IIRC. DC now owns Detroit Diesel, BTW, but this group has never made engines suitable for light duty automotive use.

Last edited by lkchris; 08-09-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 206 Likes on 183 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Question is irrelevant as it's never been done.

There has NEVER been a Chrysler diesel, either.

Yes, some Chryslers arrive with American boat anchor engines designed before the buyout of Chrysler. Lots of Americans buy them for some reason.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Much ado about nothing. So what if a Chrysler gets a MB engine. If you're going to worry about such things then all W210 E-Class owners should immediately dump their cars since a lot of parts from their cars are under the 300C/Magnum/Charger triplets. The Crossfire is nothing more than a re-bodied first generation SLK. Long as a Mercedes doesn't get a Chrysler engine I really think this worrying is silly.

A lot of Americans would really be shocked to see/know what else Mercedes makes. They make buses, dump trucks, garbage trucks, and Unimogs. Just the other day I was behind a large tour bus with the biggest MB star you'd ever want to see!

For those who think that buying a JGC with a Benz diesel equate to getting the same experience as a Benz I'd say you're not up on what a Mercedes is in the first place. A JGC will never duplicate the experience of driving a E320 Bluetec.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 08-10-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
who cares, if MB use in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It doesn't matter, MB brand is still a MB, doesn't mean their image is tarnish. Chrysler used to borrow Mitisubishi in the Dodge Colt and the Plymouth Laser, Eagle Talon, what's the big deal. It's just a engine, big whoop
Old 08-10-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
In my opinion, I think this is Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge's way of using the MB name to help make their products more appealing to most consumers. I think I saw it first with their blantant advertising of the new Chrysler 300's suspension (taken right from the E-class they said)... and their new advertising campaign with Dr. Z showing what has come from the merger... I wouldn't touch a Crossfire with a ten foot pole however.

What does this mean in the long run? Not a whole heck of a lot - most car companies have some high end version (Honda / Acura, Nissan / Infiniti, VW / Audi)... I'm sure this is just a small bump in the road until Chrysler is widely known as the cheaper version of MB.

My only concern is if MB's reputation and brand name could hold up to, say, a major lemon in the chrysler/jeep world if this bluetec engine ends up being a disaster (or something else they are advertising as a "Mercedes technology" in a chrysler/dodge/jeep product)...

And going back to the original comment re: exclusivity. I see where that is coming from. I've always considered that a small portion of the Mercedes pricetag came from having new technology that was not available in other "lesser" cars... The fact they are unvailing a new diesel engine (good stuff!) could potentially attract those who purchase these cars to have the latest and greatest to brag about... Well, now Jeeps have it too and its a kick to just how exclusive these cars are quickly not becoming.

My two cents... take it as you will.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
I can assure you that if the Dodge built on the E class chassy with he hemi v8 and 330+ hp was available when I bought my wife's E500. She would probably be driving a Dodge and I would have $25G's in my pocket, Not to mention I would not have to wait 3 weeks to get an oil change at the dealer that is 100 miles away . Jim
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by dalazernet
. . . I wouldn't touch a Crossfire with a ten foot pole however. . .
Why do you say this? I owned a Crossfire for a year and a half, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I never had one bit of trouble with it, and have never owned a car that drew so many stares, thumbs-up, and compliments.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Re: The Crossfire:

I find the fit and finish inside rather cheap -- silver colored plastic... **** that felt loose to the touch, etc. They probably run fine and last the long haul - but I just don't care for them after my "first impression" at a dealership.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
When DC had a share in Mitsubishi the M271 engine was built by Mitsubishi.

I really think that the general public has no real idea who builds what. Some little snippet of information comes out and suddenly it is the end of the brand, the star is no good, its divorce and all that.

BOSCH, HELLA, BEHR and a handful of other companies make most of the parts for all cars. It really doesnt mean anything at all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BLUETEC® Mercedes cars are a bit less exclusive now... 2007+