E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Euro Impact Strips - Do NOT tape the lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Euro Impact Strips - Do NOT tape the lights

I read on these forums some time ago about putting tape over the marker lights when using Euro impact strips. You can't take the bulb out as you get a bulb out error, light emitting out behind the strips looks odd. I don't recall who recommended this but I put tape over the bulbs.

DO NOT PUT TAPE OVER YOUR BULBS.

When I picked up my car from the dealer today (a laundry list of issues unrelated), the front right and left marker light out error codes where on the dash. I told them I didn't have this problem when I brought the car, what an a** I looked like. Turns out, they removed the bulbs and showed me the tape that used to be on them. The tape was melted, some of it burned. I got the lecture on how I could have started the car on fire. The bulbs were black and the sockets partially melted.

The dealer was able to put new bulbs in for me fortunately and tuck them behind the wheel well. My advisor recommended I paint them black instead of I want to hide the light.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
I just used zip ties on mine and pointed the bulbs away from the bumper. You could barely see any light unless put your face within inches of the impact strip.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
One Can switch off the Front side markers VIA star diag
Old 08-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
the easiest and SAFEST way is to LEAVE THE LIGHTS IN THE SIDEMARKERS...tape up the sidemarkers so that they do no emit light anymore and tie wrap those to the chassis behind the bumper (not to the bumer but to the chassis)...

no problems with overheated tape (it always amazes me that people actually do that), no problems with water ruining the socket and no emitting light at all

greetingz,
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E500
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
I read on these forums some time ago about putting tape over the marker lights when using Euro impact strips. You can't take the bulb out as you get a bulb out error, light emitting out behind the strips looks odd. I don't recall who recommended this but I put tape over the bulbs.

DO NOT PUT TAPE OVER YOUR BULBS.

When I picked up my car from the dealer today (a laundry list of issues unrelated), the front right and left marker light out error codes where on the dash. I told them I didn't have this problem when I brought the car, what an a** I looked like. Turns out, they removed the bulbs and showed me the tape that used to be on them. The tape was melted, some of it burned. I got the lecture on how I could have started the car on fire. The bulbs were black and the sockets partially melted.

The dealer was able to put new bulbs in for me fortunately and tuck them behind the wheel well. My advisor recommended I paint them black instead of I want to hide the light.

That's what happens when you follow ricers way of instruction on doing things and thats why dealers don't want to warranty modified cars.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Thanks for the suggestions Ryda, Mark and Steve.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
the easiest and SAFEST way is to LEAVE THE LIGHTS IN THE SIDEMARKERS...tape up the sidemarkers so that they do no emit light anymore and tie wrap those to the chassis behind the bumper (not to the bumer but to the chassis)...

no problems with overheated tape (it always amazes me that people actually do that), no problems with water ruining the socket and no emitting light at all

greetingz,
Just for clarification, is this how you install the Euro strips? Do I need to worry?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by jangy
Just for clarification, is this how you install the Euro strips? Do I need to worry?
when I install the euro strips I leave the bulbs in the sidemarkers - "tape" the sidemarkers "up" and tiewrap them to the chassis behind the bumper

except for Mark Cummins' car - I used stradiagose to switch off the sidemarkers

greetingz,