E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Malfunction consumers switched off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malfunction consumers switched off

I own MB W211 (E 270 CDI avantgarde) 2002.

I'm getting ERROR on board :

Malfunction Electrical consumers switched off.

I went today to MB original service they checked computer on tester, rear battery is NEW one, 2 months old, but I'ts not original.

But they said on service, that this would not be the error.

Voltage at both battery is ~ normal ~.

No errors on tester.

Also they tried to change some module connected to battery, but no effect.

They also tried to upgrade some software at main computer, but also here no effect.

Reacharching system is working OK, accu battery is charging normally.
But when I am driving non stop is turning on and off message "Malfunction Electrical consumers switched off" , "Malfunction consumers available again"

Car drives normally without any problem.
But It's irritating when you have on board , battery with this message.

At the end on service they said that they don't know what would be, and that this is not an error and i can drive normally this car, and then they will contact Stuttgart and ask for some details..

Any idea ?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:31 PM

2003 E500
my 2003 E500 had this error once , a few weeks ago when it was blazingly hot in NYC.

I couldn't tell what had shut down, as the a/c and radio stayed on. I was taking a short trip, so I parked and left the car running for a while during a conference call I had to take. Then I shut down and left it for an hour and it never came back on.

Of course, I called my dealer and the service advisor didn't trouble to return the call when I left a voicemail during the day with the error, inquiring if I should bring the car into the shop. Thanks a lot.

But I have not seen it since.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
We had 2 recalls here, one for the Battery Control Module and one for the Alternator's Voltage regulator. Have they been done on your car?

I also find that I get occaisional random malfunction messages which get stored in memory until I restart the car a half hour later and there are no malfunctions listed. I'm still trying to figure out when I should "pay attention" to the warning & make an appointment with the dealer or when the malfunction message itself is an error. Its a good thing these cars aren't commercial Jet Aircraft!

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-19-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 AM

They replaced Battery Control Module with new one and no effect.

Now my car is allready 3 days in official MB workshop and they are trying something to fix this "error"
Today I'm going to see If they succed.
They said that 2 days or max. 3 days are enought to find this error and fix it.
If they will not fix this error I'm taking my car and I will go to Austria MB service.

Slovenian MB service workshops are terrible and not quite profesional as they should be
When you come to slovenian MB service workshop you get a feeling that you came to YUGO service not to MB

A few friends which owns MB drives their cars to Austria (Leibnitz, Graz).
Prices at MB service are not very different from Slovenians, but stuff which works there at service is better.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by jposhea3
my 2003 E500 had this error once , a few weeks ago when it was blazingly hot in NYC.

I remember reading somewhere that the battery control unit would shut itself down if the inside of the trunk got too hot -- I think it was about 60 deg C (about 140 deg F?). Sorry that I forgot the reference.

Regards,
paul
Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Almost a Member!

I've heard about this problem too. It may be a bad alternator (About to die alternator) or a bad battery that is not accepting charge! Or the alternator is running into some resistance. About the trunk getting hot, there are air vents in the trunk that allow air out when there is high pressure in the trunk and low pressure outside. if you have subs in your trunk and you look inside, you will see the vents. there's one behind the nav Drive on the left.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Found the reference I was talking about. It is WIS doc AF54.10-P-8030A someone posted on another forum. It talks about temperatures above 50 deg C in the wheelwell can cause unstable conditions for the BCU. The doc also mentions that this occurs with all W211 models up to VIN 350386. The BCU could have fault codes 9050 & 9051 stored in the BCU.

Regards,
Paul
Old 08-26-2006, 06:52 AM

i picked up yesterday a car from workshop.

they don't know what is wrong...

this company Autocommerce in capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana, which is main importer for Mercedes Benz for Slovenia.

They are such a amateurs...

This error shows up when I start the car.

Malfunction Electrical consumers switched off

than after a while Malfunction Electrical consumers available again

But when I start the car, It could not be above 50 deg C in wheelwell in the moment.

I'm going really mad with this annoying *ERROR*

Charging of battery they said at service is OK.
Front and Rear battery are charging normally.

But I don't know If i can believe them anymore

Last edited by methos; 08-26-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/Sta...BMar06Star.pdf
Old 09-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Almost a Member!

I talked to a Service guy thats has experience with W211. He said to replace the Alternator and the Battery. MB alternators usually behave properly when idling but when driving around with the A/C and music and headlights, they tend to stop charging the battery properly.

Last edited by iookpareke; 09-18-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by methos
i picked up yesterday a car from workshop. they don't know what is wrong... This error shows up when I start the car. Malfunction Electrical consumers switched off than after a while Malfunction Electrical consumers available again Charging of battery they said at service is OK. Front and Rear battery are charging normally.
Suggest a retest & inspection of the charging system regulator. I understand during testing of returned alternators many are being replaced when only the voltage regulators (replaceable in the 211) are found to not be functioning. Therefore this leads me to believe the voltage regulator is the culprit in many of these type complaints.