E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

changing Fogs and day time lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing Fogs and day time lights

which one is the hardest? Changing out the Fogs or the day time lights? Also, does the car have to be lifted to get to the fogs? Also, how do you get to the fogs? I know there is a thread about this but no one explained how to get to the fogs.

Also, How long does the shipping take for the lights? I am thinking about ordering them this week.

The day time lights are pretty easy to get to right?

Last edited by danpE320; 09-13-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Curious what it is you consider "day time lights."
Old 09-13-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by lkchris
Curious what it is you consider "day time lights."
daytime lights/ driving lights ( the ones in the middle )

I have the Xenon for low beam but I need to change out the others ...

anyways thats what I mean by " daytime lights "
Old 09-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Almost a Member!

MB E500
Daytime lights are easy

Dan,
I just received all my parts and changed the highbeams and daylights without any problem. Just turn the sockets and they pop right out. Once you get them out of the sockets and above the engine, then you just pullout the bulbs. The highbeam bulb needs a little pressure applied to get it out. Just oull the bulms straight out.

I have the foglights, but that looks like I will beed to unscrew something to get to socket. That will have to wait until the weekend.

I have pictures of how they look, but cannot see you to attach them to this thread. The daytime lights are a very nice match to the xenon. The highbeams are better, but not perfect. They could be a little bluer, but for $70 it is alot better.

Regards,
John
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Originally Posted by danpE320
which one is the hardest? Changing out the Fogs or the day time lights? Also, does the car have to be lifted to get to the fogs? Also, how do you get to the fogs? I know there is a thread about this but no one explained how to get to the fogs.

Also, How long does the shipping take for the lights? I am thinking about ordering them this week.

The day time lights are pretty easy to get to right?
Neither are hard, I changed both in about 15 minutes on my car with no prior experience or instructions. Open the hood, look around and you'll see where the socket twist out. On the fogs, use a flat blade screw driver to twist the plastic locking cap that allows the access flap to open or stay closed underneath the car. There is one on each side of the car. Look under your car, you can't miss it. The fogs twist out. If you have overly giant hands, you might have issues, otherwise this is easy. No lifting of the car is necessary.

Shipping, hmmm... I guess that would depend on where you order them. Figure a few days no matter which carrier they sent from. I went with Hoen but wish I would have stayed with stock, I don't really like them.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
Probably just personal preference, but I prefer to have halogen look for the driving lights. I think it makes the lights more visible. If I could, I'd like to have the yellow fog looks of the Lexus. Not that it looks cooler or anything, buy it seems to compensate for the missing color spectrum when driving down the road.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by danpE320
daytime lights/ driving lights ( the ones in the middle )

I have the Xenon for low beam but I need to change out the others ...

anyways thats what I mean by " daytime lights "
The "ones in the middle" serve two purposes.

At postion 1 of your light switch, they are your "park" or "city" lights. These bulbs can also be lighted individually by moving light switch to either of two postions left of 0 (off).

At postion 2 of your light switch, these units contain your high beams. In addition, they flash with the flasher system by pulling back turn signal lever.

Never ever by anyone in the automotive world are either of these called "daytime lights."

Information:

HID (or Zenon) lights require a small but noticeable warmup period to achieve full brightness. That's why they're NEVER used for flashers and seldom used for high beams.

Your best bet is to leave these lights as they came. You can't improve them but you can look silly trying.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Originally Posted by lkchris
The "ones in the middle" serve two purposes.

At postion 1 of your light switch, they are your "park" or "city" lights. These bulbs can also be lighted individually by moving light switch to either of two postions left of 0 (off).

At postion 2 of your light switch, these units contain your high beams. In addition, they flash with the flasher system by pulling back turn signal lever.

Never ever by anyone in the automotive world are either of these called "daytime lights."

Information:

HID (or Zenon) lights require a small but noticeable warmup period to achieve full brightness. That's why they're NEVER used for flashers and seldom used for high beams.

Your best bet is to leave these lights as they came. You can't improve them but you can look silly trying.
...alot of unnecssary hate on this post. The guy asks how to change some bulbs and you want to flame him for no reason?

When did HID or Xenon lights change the spelling to "Zenon"?

What are the "two purposes" referrred to in the post? I only read 1) the "name" of these and 2) how to turn them on in the post.

Isn't the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety considered part of the "automotive world"? On their website they discuss Daytime Running Lights here: http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html
Old 09-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Both should take all of 15 minutes, it's a very easy bulb change.

We carry several options for both your fogs and high beams.

For your high beams, I recommend our Predator Xenix bulbs which are xenon colored halogen replacements that swap out the stock yellow looking bulbs for a whiter output.

For your fogs, you can either go with the same Predator Xenix or for the ultimate in lighting setup you can go with our ProLumen HID kits to perfectly match your xenon headlights. This is a full 100% plug and play HID kit that goes right in your stock fog light location and mounts in your bumper. We are running a specil for $275 shipped for these kits and since this is a GB special, they are not available on our website like the xenixs. Feel free to contact us via email (sales@jlevisw.com) or call in (1.888.JLEVISW) to order!

Here are the Predator Xenixs on our site. You need H7 for your high beam and H1 for your fogs.

http://jlevistreetwerks.com/store/pr...adf9d5ee018ccf