E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Damn Co-Worker Can't Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Damn Co-Worker Can't Drive

My car was spotless, mint condition. The only imperfection was a rock chip on the hood. This idiot co-worker just backed into my car today, he wasn't paying attention and on his cell phone. This fool actually hit someone else a week ago in the parking lot as well, she didn't care though as she had an already scratched up Honda. He drives an Infiniti FX45, you would think he would pay attention!

So much for my spotless history. It will go to MB for repair on Monday. To make matters worse my new E63 wheels arrive this Monday so I won't be able to enjoy them since the car will be in the shop! Just the thought of having a rental car makes me depressed or worse having to use my Ford Ranger Home Depot hauler as a daily driver.

I am concerned this will show up on CarFax and hurt resell value in the future. Any tips or advice to keep it off CarFax? I'm sure MB will do a good job on repair and there is no structural damage but I don't want to lose value on resale.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
Sorry to hear about that man.. I had something similiar last summer, front-end of my car totaled due to some looser driving a truck loosing his load. I was without it the entire summer but had everthing replaced / repaired with MB OEM parts.
I just pulled a carfax two days ago and nothing was depected refrencing any accidents. I wouldn't worry about it, most MB shops or MB repair shops don't report in and I believe but someone can correct me, most information is populated by the individual that pulls the report?.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:38 AM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl

I am concerned this will show up on CarFax and hurt resell value in the future. Any tips or advice to keep it off CarFax? I'm sure MB will do a good job on repair and there is no structural damage but I don't want to lose value on resale.
You may have a loss of value claim, which I believe (per some previous posts on here some time back) is generally calculated at 10% of the NADA value. Your coworkers insurance company may have to pony up, provided you make the claim and pursue it with them.

Lou
Old 09-23-2006, 03:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
What!!!!! That sucks man. I totally know how you feel.

Here, this should make you feel better. I had my car for a week when it got hit. I still had the temp. tags on it. I took it out to lunch one friday with a few other guys from work. We parked in a pretty decent sized parking lot but it was to the side of the restaurant. When we got back to work... a passenger noticed a huge gash in the right rear quarter panel. The trunk was fubared.. the rear quarter right above the tail light was pushed in about 2 inches. So I finally made the claim on it and it sat in a body shop for a couple weeks while it was being fixed. They "repaired" the trunk lid and I can tell where they reshaped the metal. They didn't replace the entire quarter panel, somehow they managed to make it look right.

Well, when it was done... my trunk liner was wet, the owners manual was soggy, the tail lights were scuffed where they had wet sanded the paint and actually sanded the lenses of the lights. There were also numerous areas on the paint surface where I could tell they missed with the buffer. And the interior smelled like paint fumes for about 3 weeks. Yea, all that on a 2006 because some jackass couldn't drive for ****.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by LNL
You may have a loss of value claim, which I believe (per some previous posts on here some time back) is generally calculated at 10% of the NADA value. Your coworkers insurance company may have to pony up, provided you make the claim and pursue it with them.

Lou
I have an 11:00 meeting with his companies insurance adjustor Monday (Nationwide - hope they are liberal with funds) and then it's off to MB. I will bring up loss of value, thanks for the tip. That would be huge if I got 10% of NADA value, I can't believe they would fork over money that easily, I'm going to try though.

Well, when it was done... my trunk liner was wet, the owners manual was soggy, the tail lights were scuffed where they had wet sanded the paint and actually sanded the lenses of the lights. There were also numerous areas on the paint surface where I could tell they missed with the buffer. And the interior smelled like paint fumes for about 3 weeks. Yea, all that on a 2006 because some jackass couldn't drive for ****.
That sucks... especially on a week old car! I assume the above was done at a MB shop in FL? How is the _________ _________ Mercedes body shop. I did have a front bumper impact strip painted there and it was a bad experience, they jacked up the price when I picked up the part from what they quoted me and then lied about every quoting me a certain price. The manager wouldn't even respond to my email or VM. I paid anyways but thought what a jacka** for lying about what he quoted me in person just a few days earlier.

Hold onto those compartment door parts for me, I know I need to get them still and was going to do it when I brought the new wheels in to get road forced. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 AM
LNL

C300
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
I have an 11:00 meeting with his companies insurance adjustor Monday (Nationwide - hope they are liberal with funds) and then it's off to MB. I will bring up loss of value, thanks for the tip. That would be huge if I got 10% of NADA value, I can't believe they would fork over money that easily, I'm going to try though.
Check out this thread where loss of value is discussed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...nada+insurance

Lou
Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
Why did you accept the car back from repair is it was such a lousy job? I would never have accepted it back if it was not in mint condition. Have you been back after you found that the trunk is/was leaking?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Ouch. Sorry to read this. Totally sucks.

Ironically - one of the things my wife loves the most about her FX is the backup camera. It's excellent. You have to be 100% ****ing lame to back up and hit something in that car.

Hope the repair turns out well.

I got broadsided when my E was about a year old. The shop (it was my insurance company's choice since I was hit by and uninsured chick) told me the car was finished after taking 3X longer than they promised.

I picked the car up and the clearcoat looked like someone had taken a can of Krylon clear to it. Bumpy as hell and quite dull. I made them wet sand it and buff. Two more days in the shop.

Picked it up and the paint looked good. They must have been sloppy in the shop because the windows had a *****load of overspray. I called them back. They denied that it was their fault.

Finally just hit the glass with 0000 steel wool and got rid of the overspray.

Gl on the repair and the diminished value claim.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by LNL
Check out this thread where loss of value is discussed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...nada+insurance

Lou
Thanks Lou, that information is very beneficial. I now know I need a new door, MB doesn't have skins nor do I want bondo. 10% of NADA value sounds good to me, I'm going for new door, sand and paint the other parts, rental car, and 10% of NADA for diminished value. If they offer much less, I will have my attorney get involved. Maybe I should have STFF, I guess this accident has affected my brain.

On a seperate note, I noticed this morning this idiot hit me twice! I saw his paint and some scrapes on my bumper, bumper strip, trunk and a cracked tailight! I was so involved with the dent on the door I just missed looking anywhere else nor did I inspect the car when I got home. Apparently my guess is he backed into my car, moved forward, then backed up again and hit it again! No joke, fortunately this guy works with me and has admitted backing into me. He's no rookie driver, in his mid 40's, maybe he had a few too many martini's at lunch yesterday?
Old 09-23-2006, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
my advice is in the future, park far away from this person's car as you can
Old 09-24-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by sgaar
Why did you accept the car back from repair is it was such a lousy job? I would never have accepted it back if it was not in mint condition. Have you been back after you found that the trunk is/was leaking?
Well, if you want something done right.. you know how it goes. I didn't want to take it back to them to give them another shot at screwing it up. The trunk was not leaking.. I just assume they had the tail light removed, maybe the weatherstrip and got water in it.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:09 PM

2004 E500, 2019 S560
Originally Posted by [MB]CRS
Well, if you want something done right.. you know how it goes. I didn't want to take it back to them to give them another shot at screwing it up. The trunk was not leaking.. I just assume they had the tail light removed, maybe the weatherstrip and got water in it.
Dude - that sucks. You should take it to Details Limited in Addison, they do a good job.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:48 PM

W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
ShushDawg,
Will you be joining us on 10/21/206 @ Motor Sport Ranch for some racing? We're trying to get some more local DFW MBWorld'rs to coem out for some fun and racing. Let us know.
Jay
Old 10-02-2006, 05:02 PM

2004 E500, 2019 S560
Originally Posted by saffrontiger
ShushDawg,
Will you be joining us on 10/21/206 @ Motor Sport Ranch for some racing? We're trying to get some more local DFW MBWorld'rs to coem out for some fun and racing. Let us know.
Jay

Not to steal the thread with this discussion - but was not aware of it. Could you PM me the details. Would liek to attend.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:25 PM

W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Sush,
See link...
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/159904-dfw-texas-day-track-10-21-a.html
Jay
Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by saffrontiger
Sush,
See link...
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159904
Jay
Way to promote! Let's hope none of us end up back in the shop. Mine is supposed to be ready this Friday.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 PM

Here's a tip....if you get hit by someone and they have Nationwide insurance, don't count on much for the DV claim. They sent an inspector out 2 weeks ago and I was told I'd have a figure in a couple of days., For the past week and a half I have been trying to get the DV person to call me back with a number. After going to his boss, he finally calls me back. He offered me $575 today which I declined. The passenger rear door was replaced, bumper damaged, rear qtr panel damaged for a total of $2600 in repairs. The car had been in mint condition prior to this. The whole experience has been unpleasant from start to finish. A local company who specializes in DV is coming by Saturday to give me an appraisal which I can use in court. Over the phone, they estimated a minimum of $1800 in loss of value. So, I guess it's me against Nationwide in small claims court. I'm no stranger to civil business matters so this should be entertaining.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
[QUOTE=jocon63;1765624]I had something similiar last summer, front-end of my car totaled due to some looser driving a truck loosing his load. I was without it the entire summer but had everthing replaced / repaired with MB OEM parts. QUOTE]
Interesting. I had a semi drop part of the load and hit our hood and windshield . But he kept driving on and would not stop. Three other semi's pulled around him front rear and side so I could not get #'s. Had to pay for damages my self. Nothing like the "Knights of the Road".

Jim
Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
The $1,800 sounds more like what I would expect. Stated Value at Hicks Airport is an expert in DV documentation. If you had your car repaired at Park Place BodyWerks, check for any scratches or overspray.