E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Rear Seat Rattle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Seat Rattle?

Hi, I have a 2003 E320. I just picked it up from a CPO MB Dealer. When driving, when going over bumps, I hear much more noise from the back right corner of the car near the rear right side seat. I was thinking if this could be the spare tire or if this is something more serious. THe car drives fine and I only hear it when going over bumps. Is this something to worry about?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 PM

2012 CL550
I have started noticing this same thing in my car in the last couple of months, but nothing serious enough to ask about at the dealership. I haven't looked around real well in my trunk, I too thought it might be the spare but I've never used it. Anyone else have this?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Metro Card : (
this may or may not help, but i had a noise coming from the rear of my old C, that turned out to be the headrest.

maybe this will help
Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 AM

Problem occurs with or w/o the headrest up, since it's only one side I decided to take a deeper look into the problem. I checked the trunk and the spare wheel seems to be firmly in place, if it did make sound, it'd make it towards the middle of the cabin. Do you think I should bring this to my dealer's attention?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Do you have airmatic? If so check out the Dead Body in my trunk thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=dead
Old 01-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by spiritd
Hi, I have a 2003 E320. I just picked it up from a CPO MB Dealer. When driving, when going over bumps, I hear much more noise from the back right corner of the car near the rear right side seat. I was thinking if this could be the spare tire or if this is something more serious. THe car drives fine and I only hear it when going over bumps. Is this something to worry about?
If you do not have Airmatic, I suggest you mention DTB P-B-32.25/16a DEC04. Audible rumbling noises from the rear axle on rough roads may be caused by excessive play in the metal bushing of the rubber mount in the lower fastening eye of the shock absorber. Since your vehicle is CPO, request that they replace both rear shock absorbers rather than perform the repair procedure which only replaces the bushings to each shock absorber.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
If you do not have Airmatic, I suggest you mention DTB P-B-32.25/16a DEC04. Audible rumbling noises from the rear axle on rough roads may be caused by excessive play in the metal bushing of the rubber mount in the lower fastening eye of the shock absorber. Since your vehicle is CPO, request that they replace both rear shock absorbers rather than perform the repair procedure which only replaces the bushings to each shock absorber.
I have a 2003 E320 without airmatic. So, you think that the sound coming from the back rgith side is coming from the shock absorbers?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
I have a 2003 E320 without airmatic. So, you think that the sound coming from the back rgith side is coming from the shock absorbers?
Good possibility, it could be the right shock. I would have it checked by the dealer in which case, if it is the problem addressed in the DTB, you will wind up with two new shocks cost free.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Good possibility, it could be the right shock. I would have it checked by the dealer in which case, if it is the problem addressed in the DTB, you will wind up with two new shocks cost free.
Ok thank you very much! You seem quite knowledgeable about the Es, so if you wouldn't mind, can you take a look at my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/176071-subwoofer-rattle.html

I'm bringing my car in this Saturday.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Ok thank you very much! You seem quite knowledgeable about the Es, so if you wouldn't mind, can you take a look at my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176071
I'm bringing my car in this Saturday.
HOH’s post (3)

You can check to see if you have the optional HK (LOGIC 7) system: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/164991-how-can-you-tell-if-car-has-hk-sound.html (post 3) Is this rattle the same noise you hear when going over bumps, or isolated? I cannot comment specifically on the bass matter. Curious, does your vehicle have split folding rear seats?

I might also add:
(1) If you do, in fact, have LOGIC 7 mention DTB P-B-82.62/387 SEPT04 Poor Sound in Surround Mode. Depending on the Audio Gateway (AGW) version either unit will be replaced or its software will be updated.
(2) Check to see if you hear any distortion and/or clatter in the front center instrument panel speaker. If so, mention DTB P-B-82.62/537 OCT06. This may be due to vibration in the flap mechanism of the upper defroster outlet or its cover. Felt strips will be installed.

Bottom line I would have ALL issues checked by the dealer at this point since this is a CPO vehicle. Repair(s) should be cost free.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:47 PM

HOH’s post (3)

You can check to see if you have the optional HK (LOGIC 7) system: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164991 (post 3) Is this rattle the same noise you hear when going over bumps, or isolated? I cannot comment specifically on the bass matter. Curious, does your vehicle have split folding rear seats?

I might also add:
(1) If you do, in fact, have LOGIC 7 mention DTB P-B-82.62/387 SEPT04 Poor Sound in Surround Mode. Depending on the Audio Gateway (AGW) version either unit will be replaced or its software will be updated.
(2) Check to see if you hear any distortion and/or clatter in the front center instrument panel speaker. If so, mention DTB P-B-82.62/537 OCT06. This may be due to vibration in the flap mechanism of the upper defroster outlet or its cover. Felt strips will be installed.

Bottom line I would have ALL issues checked by the dealer at this point since this is a CPO vehicle. Repair(s) should be cost free.
I replied to you under this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...75#post1913375

Thanks!